Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Re: Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better?

To answer this question I think they will be the come back team of the year - I projected them in an earlier thread to win the division.  Cutler may not be as productive individually without Marshall, a great offensive line and always solid run game.  However, the pieces are there for him to succeed.  You've got a strong offensive line, decent run game and an excellent defense that just hasn't been able to keep up with such a horrible offense.  Give the defense a water break and I think you'll see much more production out of the unit which will change the course of more than just a few games.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheSharkjeff. Show TheSharkjeff's posts

Matt Forte is a good back but they have no WRs. 7-9 or 8-8

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

While Chicago has a better running game than the Broncos did last season, the talent at WR is severely lacking. And as for the comparison between O-lines, Cutler was only sacked a dozen times while Orton was on his back frequently last season. Add to that Cutler's propensity for bad decisions (usually at the worst possible time), and the weather conditions at Soldier Field (which are not conducive to Cutler's style of passing), and I think an 8-8 season is the best they can hope for. They may start out well, but I believe they will crash and burn after Thanksgiving. Not that I'll be putting the blame solely on Cutler (unlike Bolt, I do not fault him for Vandy's records, he had no talent around him there), but Jay will seal the deal with poor play down the stretch. The best the Bears can do in their division is to beat out Detroit for third (and probably even Vandy could do that)!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I think it is fair to say the jury is out.  I'll give Jbolt that.  But only due to the record in Denver for which there are any significant number of caveats that can be applied to understand his record there.  As for Vandy, the record is an easy target but it is the only private school in far and away the best football conference in Div 1-A. 

For those that wish to bash the pundits positive assessment of this guy, I will only say that pundits become such because the masses listen to them.  And the masses listen to them because likely they have proven knowledge to validate their opinions. 

We, on the other hand, are fans with an agenda. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better?:
    [QUOTE]Well apparently B Urlacher knows what Josh knew. Dollars to donuts, Cutler will blow it in crunch time during a must have game for the Bears this season.  Urlachers opinion is not his alone- http://www.scoresreport.com/tag/matt-wilhelm-calls-jay-cutler-a-punk/
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

What a surprise a charger calling out 2 former division rivals.  I'm shocked. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I think Philip Rivers is a punk, too. More successful than Cutler, but still a punk! And the Chargers should be thanking Cutler! If he hadn't blown the last quarter of the season SD would have never made the playoffs at 8-8!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better? : What a surprise a charger calling out 2 former division rivals.  I'm shocked. 
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

Let me finish with this.  The article/interview started with - Jay Cutler is a Pus*y isn't he?  And the Charger responded yes.  And then he added T Gonzales to the list. 

He did this ONLY after the named players were traded from division rivals.  Not playing them 2x per year now.  The Charger's comments are no different than a 5 year old child taunting a caged animal.  Easy to be brave when not threatened.  Who's the pus*y?  typical loud mouth charger.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better? : Let me finish with this.  The article/interview started with - Jay Cutler is a Pus*y isn't he?  And the Charger responded yes.  And then he added T Gonzales to the list.  He did this ONLY after the named players were traded from division rivals.  Not playing them 2x per year now.  The Charger's comments are no different than a 5 year old child taunting a caged animal.  Easy to be brave when not threatened.  Who's the pus*y?  typical loud mouth charger.

I thought it ridiculous that the guy called out Tony G. That guy has been a top TE (not a position generally played by wimps) for years! I guess we know now that the Chargers are still the immature braggarts (with no real accomplishments to back it up) as they were back in 06! And they have the nerve to call others "punks"! Sort of like the pot and kettle, don't you think? It's also funny that it was Bolt who started this thread in the first place. He has been badmouthing Cutler since the guy was drafted by the Broncos. To keep referring to his record at Vandy (which, IMO, is basically a division II school stuck in the SEC) is stretching it. While I don't care for Cutler, and agree he's not lived up to his potential, Bolt seems to have a vendetta. I don't think he'll be the "savior" for the Bears that all these "experts" are claiming him to be. But I would love it if I were wrong on this and he did lead his new team to the SB (where, of course, we would get our revenge for the embarassment back in 86 by winning 52-3 or something like that)! Not that it would shut Bolt up, he'd claim they got "lucky", or it was all the defense or the zebras giving them a load of bogus calls. As for Wilhelm, he is too cocky, much like his QB Rivers. Just one more incident to prove Norv is not a great leader. I seriously doubt Belichick would let one of our players make such a boneheaded statement. At least not without a good talking to and a huge slice of "Humble Pie" afterwards!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better? : Let me finish with this.  The article/interview started with - Jay Cutler is a Pus*y isn't he?  And the Charger responded yes.  And then he added T Gonzales to the list.  He did this ONLY after the named players were traded from division rivals.  Not playing them 2x per year now.  The Charger's comments are no different than a 5 year old child taunting a caged animal.  Easy to be brave when not threatened.  Who's the pus*y?  typical loud mouth charger.
     UD, FYI Wilhelm said it over two years ago while both were on KC & DEN. Loud mouth or whiney beeeatch QB every time he doesnt get a favorable call. Typically spouting without knowing the facts. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better? : I thought it ridiculous that the guy called out Tony G. That guy has been a top TE (not a position generally played by wimps) for years! I guess we know now that the Chargers are still the immature braggarts (with no real accomplishments to back it up) as they were back in 06! And they have the nerve to call others "punks"! Sort of like the pot and kettle, don't you think? It's also funny that it was Bolt who started this thread in the first place. He has been badmouthing Cutler since the guy was drafted by the Broncos. To keep referring to his record at Vandy (which, IMO, is basically a division II school stuck in the SEC) is stretching it. While I don't care for Cutler, and agree he's not lived up to his potential, Bolt seems to have a vendetta. I don't think he'll be the "savior" for the Bears that all these "experts" are claiming him to be. But I would love it if I were wrong on this and he did lead his new team to the SB (where, of course, we would get our revenge for the embarassment back in 86 by winning 52-3 or something like that)! Not that it would shut Bolt up, he'd claim they got "lucky", or it was all the defense or the zebras giving them a load of bogus calls. As for Wilhelm, he is too cocky, much like his QB Rivers. Just one more incident to prove Norv is not a great leader. I seriously doubt Belichick would let one of our players make such a boneheaded statement. At least not without a good talking to and a huge slice of "Humble Pie" afterwards!
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Pretty funny there, Seymour spews out more krap than a septic pump. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better? : Pretty funny there, Seymour spews out more krap than a septic pump. 

Post us a link where Seymour is calling opposing players punks. And I'm sure if he did say something about another player it wouldn't be something questioning the guy's toughness, especially one with a track record like Gonzos. It also wouldn't be a "planned attack" in the media! Two and a half years ago Merriman was blabbing the same thing about Tom Brady. Yet when it came down to it, he couldn't back it up, as the Patriots won both the games which followed (neither played in last season's meeting). This just shows a trend of the Chargers still being immature. Norv not being able to control this type of thing shows his inability to be a strong leader. I'll be looking for your link(s) to Seymour (or any other Patriot) calling out an opponent like Wilhelm did. Keep in mind this is not something said in the "heat of the moment" after a game. This was deliberately bashing others before a game in the media, when diplomacy and cooler heads should prevail!

I also must add that he should not be talking about "crybabies". Especially when he is a teammate of the biggest one in the league, "Lotta Tears" Tomlinson!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I think Josh MacD is in for a long year at Denver.  He will not be one of those first year coaches who looks like he's been a head coach for years.  That said, showing Cutler the way out of Denver is probably the best move he has made.  Josh has an uphill struggle to earn respect from his players... to have his players place their unconditional trust in him and his leadership.  Having an immature QB would have made that job even harder.  I'd rather go into battle with a bunch of average guys who follow orders and believe in their leader than a bunch of studs who question their leader and do their own thing.  Cutler seems to be the latter case.  Josh need his players to place their full trust in him; especially the QB.

I think the Bears will go .500 or slightly better.  It's tough to call.  Denver had a good offense but a poor defense.  Chicago has a good defense but a so-so offense.  A good defense trumps a good offense IMO.  That being the case, I think Cutler will enjoy a little bit more success in Chicago than he had in Denver.  I don't see him having a level of success that makes the Fans in Denver riot.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better? : Post us a link where Seymour is calling opposing players punks. And I'm sure if he did say something about another player it wouldn't be something questioning the guy's toughness, especially one with a track record like Gonzos. It also wouldn't be a "planned attack" in the media! Two and a half years ago Merriman was blabbing the same thing about Tom Brady. Yet when it came down to it, he couldn't back it up, as the Patriots won both the games which followed (neither played in last season's meeting). This just shows a trend of the Chargers still being immature. Norv not being able to control this type of thing shows his inability to be a strong leader. I'll be looking for your link(s) to Seymour (or any other Patriot) calling out an opponent like Wilhelm did. Keep in mind this is not something said in the "heat of the moment" after a game. This was deliberately bashing others before a game in the media, when diplomacy and cooler heads should prevail! I also must add that he should not be talking about " crybabies ". Especially when he is a teammate of the biggest one in the league, " Lotta Tears " Tomlinson!!!
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080121-9999-lz1x21dirty.html
    Your should have the radio interview to coincide with this. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better? : http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080121-9999-lz1x21dirty.html Your should have the radio interview to coincide with this. 

jbolted, I'm not trying to say I'm some sort of genius or anything, but I'm pretty sure you just posted a link of a Chargers player calling out Seymour, and not a link of Seymour calling out another player.  I believe you were asked to post a link of Seymour calling out a player.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better? : jbolted, I'm not trying to say I'm some sort of genius or anything, but I'm pretty sure you just posted a link of a Chargers player calling out Seymour, and not a link of Seymour calling out another player.  I believe you were asked to post a link of Seymour calling out a player.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]
    Genius, the player i referred to did say seymour chirps too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Oh, so a quote referencing one of your players saying Seymour talks about other players is equal to an article where Seymour himself tells a reporter something negative about another player.  I guess we need to hire an attorney to draft up the "precise" request that bubthegrub2 was trying to convey to you.  Or     we    can    just     talk    a    little     more     slow    for      you.   How about finding an article where Seymour directly talks to a reporter and says negative things about other players.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better? : http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080121-9999-lz1x21dirty.html Your should have the radio interview to coincide with this. 

What the hell is this? It's only more Chargers talking smack and not being able to back it up. Since it was after a game I suppose it's not as bad as Wilhelm. But I didn't see any quotes from Seymour in there. What have you been smoking today? Or have you been out in the sun too long?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, so a quote referencing one of your players saying Seymour talks about other players is equal to an article where Seymour himself tells a reporter something negative about another player.  I guess we need to hire an attorney to draft up the "precise" request that bubthegrub2 was trying to convey to you.  Or     we    can    just     talk    a    little     more     slow    for      you.   How about finding an article where Seymour directly talks to a reporter and says negative things about other players.  

Just another example of Bolt's delusions! I suppose he believes just because a Charger says it it has to be true! Of course, he also believes the Chargers will win the SB every year! Maybe the LACK of championships has driven him insane! It could be he's been out at OB too long in the summer sun. Maybe he's had a bit too much of that stuff from Humboldt County! Once again, brash words from San Diego with nothing of substance to back it up! Should we really expect more?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better? : Just another example of Bolt's delusions! I suppose he believes just because a Charger says it it has to be true! Of course, he also believes the Chargers will win the SB every year! Maybe the LACK of championships has driven him insane! It could be he's been out at OB too long in the summer sun. Maybe he's had a bit too much of that stuff from Humboldt County! Once again, brash words from San Diego with nothing of substance to back it up! Should we really expect more?

Very true.  He's also confusing trash talking during a game with a player calling out another player.  Unfortunately, I live amongst all of these Charger fans.  I have to put up with this type of thinking every day.  They're actually pretty good people, they just went down the wrong road when it comes to football.  We need some more NE missionaries down here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better? : I thought it ridiculous that the guy called out Tony G. That guy has been a top TE (not a position generally played by wimps) for years! I guess we know now that the Chargers are still the immature braggarts (with no real accomplishments to back it up) as they were back in 06! And they have the nerve to call others "punks"! Sort of like the pot and kettle, don't you think? It's also funny that it was Bolt who started this thread in the first place. He has been badmouthing Cutler since the guy was drafted by the Broncos. To keep referring to his record at Vandy (which, IMO, is basically a division II school stuck in the SEC) is stretching it. While I don't care for Cutler, and agree he's not lived up to his potential, Bolt seems to have a vendetta. I don't think he'll be the "savior" for the Bears that all these "experts" are claiming him to be. But I would love it if I were wrong on this and he did lead his new team to the SB (where, of course, we would get our revenge for the embarassment back in 86 by winning 52-3 or something like that)! Not that it would shut Bolt up, he'd claim they got "lucky", or it was all the defense or the zebras giving them a load of bogus calls. As for Wilhelm, he is too cocky, much like his QB Rivers. Just one more incident to prove Norv is not a great leader. I seriously doubt Belichick would let one of our players make such a boneheaded statement. At least not without a good talking to and a huge slice of "Humble Pie" afterwards!

right on, Bub.

One question, given that he was named to the probowl in his 3rd season, how can you say he's not lived up to his potential? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Cutler actually guide his team to.500 or better? :  UD, FYI Wilhelm said it over two years ago while both were on KC & DEN. Loud mouth or whiney beeeatch QB every time he doesnt get a favorable call. Typically spouting without knowing the facts. 

So you are posting 2 year old interviews?  Well, I apologize, I guess.  but you should apologize for being irrelevant, er, I mean providing irrelevant content. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, so a quote referencing one of your players saying Seymour talks about other players is equal to an article where Seymour himself tells a reporter something negative about another player.  I guess we need to hire an attorney to draft up the "precise" request that bubthegrub2 was trying to convey to you.  Or     we    can    just     talk    a    little     more     slow    for      you.   How about finding an article where Seymour directly talks to a reporter and says negative things about other players.  

I'd never be happy with a player dancing on a team logo, but it appears to me that the Chargers actually deserved it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

One question, given that he was named to the probowl in his 3rd season, how can you say he's not lived up to his potential? 

To me being named to the pro bowl is like being voted the prom king at your high school. It doesn't mean you excelled at anything except being popular (with all due respect to Peyton, who does excel at his job). Coming out of college Cutler had a great arm, and was intelligent enough to become a very good QB. Yet it seems as though he hasn't the maturity to master a system and make good decisions consistently. Part of that I blame on Shanahan. He pampered Jay, hoping he would somehow redeem himself for his post-Elway disappointments. While Cutler puts up gaudy numbers, he falls apart in the crunch. While I don't put Denver's problems solely on his shoulders (as Bolt does), he is still a contributing factor.

UD, FYI Wilhelm said it over two years ago while both were on KC & DEN. Loud mouth or whiney beeeatch QB every time he doesnt get a favorable call. Typically spouting without knowing the facts. 

The date on the article was December 2008. How is that two years ago? Did I sleep through the last 18 months?

I'd never be happy with a player dancing on a team logo, but it appears to me that the Chargers actually deserved it.

Did you see the youtube video of the Chargers "pep-rally" before the game during the bye week? Mr. Steroids was up on stage singing a song called "Tom Brady S u c k s". The chorus was something about "punching him in the mouth". Yet the only play he made against Brady was to sack him from behind, and he looked like he was trying to hump him (California style!). Then he does his little spasmoid dance! So after winning the game Ellis Hobbs did his own little dance. And the Chargers acted like six year olds! I guess they can dish it out but not take it! Now it seems that two years later they still haven't matured. To me this shows a lack of discipline on the part of Norv Turner. And one of the reasons they are still without a championship! JBolt is the type of guy who would get in your face if your dog did his business in his front yard, but when his dog does it in yours he'd say "he's only a dumb dog"!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Bub - If my recollection is correct, probowl voting is 1/3 for each group (fans, players, coaches).  While I agree there is a "popularity" component to it, with the coaches and players getting 2/3 say, I think it is a pretty legitimate honor.  

But here is my point - Last year was only Cutler's 3rd season in the league, and he's earned the league's respect.  Certainly this offseason did not endear him to the general public (and pats fans for his treatment of your former OC), but if Cutler saw Denver as a bad situation its his preogative to do what he must to remove himself from it.  

Who knows what was said or done privately to create the situation, but publicly we know that early on McDaniels had issues.  Forget the Cutler thing.  Here's another head scratcher - McDaniels signed like 3-4 running backs prior to the draft only to draft a running back with Denver's first pick.  Now Moreno may become a stud, but then why waste cap room with multiple signings prior to the draft (only to have already released one of them), and if McDaniels was satisfied with his signings why draft a running back when the defense sorely needs help. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

But here is my point - Last year was only Cutler's 3rd season in the league, and he's earned the league's respect.  Certainly this offseason did not endear him to the general public (and pats fans for his treatment of your former OC), but if Cutler saw Denver as a bad situation its his preogative to do what he must to remove himself from it.  

Just because the guy is voted to the pro bowl or "earned the league's respect" (not exactly sure what that is supposed to mean), does not mean he's lived up to his potential. The object of the game is to ultimately make it to (and win) the SB. Cutler has yet to show he can lead his team to a playoff spot. In two of those three seasons their chance at a postseason berth came down to the last game of the season. Both times he failed to step up his game and deliver. Any QB who is drafted at #11 overall has some expectations, and that is to bring his team to at least the playoffs. So far Cutler has failed to do this. Your own QB (drafted #1) has led his team to the playoffs even when (as you state quite clearly in other threads) their defense was lacking. Being the leader (and usually the highest paid player on the team) means you need to get it done. It's not like the Broncos are like the Lions. They have a decent team who usually (until the arrival of Cutler) are playoff contenders. So while the blame cannot be put solely on Cutler, it clearly shows he has not lived up to his potential, whether real or perceived. Now he may well improve and become a franchise QB, but he's not there yet. Another thing I want to clarify. This has nothing whatsoever to do with what happened between him and McDaniels this offseason. I am basing my opinion solely on his performance so far in his career. And though he can indeed put up big numbers, he seemingly cannot "finish the job" and rally the troops in December.

Sections
Shortcuts