Will Galloway be an upgrade at 3rd reciever?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonal40. Show bostonal40's posts

Re: Will Galloway be an upgrade at 3rd reciever?

No doubt about it; Galloway is STILL a burner. Great speed and the brain and hands of a proven veteran!! I would not want to be a "D" co-ordinator on the other side of the field!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Galloway, like Gaffney or Stallworth, only has to catch 30-40 balls to be effective. Not to mention he can take some of the coverage away from Welker and Moss. My only issue with him (and Springs and Taylor) is: Can he stay healthy for a full season and remain effective in the playoffs ? I am doubtful, however, he can still stretch an opposing defense out. If he is still a deep threat this could pose problems for opposing Ds leaving passing lanes to Welker and whoever comes out of the backfield (Taylor, Faulk, Morris) open.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

I guess it all depends on which Galloway shows up. He's had eight really good seasons (six over 1,000 yards). He's also had six not-so-good seasons, one of which was last year. A big part of those not-so-good seasons was injuries, but that was not the only factor. He's also been around for a number of seasons (this will be his 15th).
    I believe that the better Galloway will show up. He's (appearently) healthy, on a great offense with great quarterback, not expected to play every down, hungry for a ring, and playing under someone who knows how to best utilize veteran players.
    I also think that defenses at the beginning of the season will focus on Moss and Welker and make the Patriots prove that Galloway can still play. If Galloway goes against single coverage (with the team's third best corner) with Brady throwing him the ball, he's going to smoke 'em every time. In my estimation, that will happen a number of times early in the season. Some defense will then focus more on Galloway, and that will open things up big for either Moss or Welker or perhaps the TEs and RBs.
    What kind of stats will Galloway have? Here's my guess: 47 rec, 691 yards, 14.7 avg, 5 td. And that's an upgrade over last year.
    Besides that, I think the bottom end of the WR corps has improved significantly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to Re: Will Galloway be an upgrade at 3rd reciever?:
    I guess it all depends on which Galloway shows up. He's had eight really good seasons (six over 1,000 yards). He's also had six not-so-good seasons, one of which was last year. A big part of those not-so-good seasons was injuries, but that was not the only factor. He's also been around for a number of seasons (this will be his 15th). I believe that the better Galloway will show up. He's (appearently) healthy, on a great offense with great quarterback, not expected to play every down, hungry for a ring, and playing under someone who knows how to best utilize veteran players. I also think that defenses at the beginning of the season will focus on Moss and Welker and make the Patriots prove that Galloway can still play. If Galloway goes against single coverage (with the team's third best corner) with Brady throwing him the ball, he's going to smoke 'em every time. In my estimation, that will happen a number of times early in the season. Some defense will then focus more on Galloway, and that will open things up big for either Moss or Welker or perhaps the TEs and RBs. What kind of stats will Galloway have? Here's my guess: 47 rec, 691 yards, 14.7 avg, 5 td. And that's an upgrade over last year. Besides that, I think the bottom end of the WR corps has improved significantly.
    Posted by Ritchie_az

This is the best answer to the question- If Galloway remains healthy, he will be a better factor than Stallworth or Gaffney was. Galloway has breakaway speed and works best in single coverage- neither Stallworth or Gaffney had that- they were best  on slant or infield routes which doesn't really take advantage of the double-team that is rolled over onto Moss. I would be suprised to see him play horizontially. That is inviting the sort of battering that will send him to IR. I personally like Galloway and Moss in the deep field to clear up the slot or take away LB stack ups and decrease run stuffing ability.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I think he's a great one year solution and hopefully Brandon Tate will be ready to step into the role next season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Grogan77, good point that Brady, perhaps in conjunction with the Pats system (Welker did great with Cassel), can make a receiver look better than he might actually look elsewhere.  Not to get too far off topic, but this is related the the Brady vs. Mannning debate that's been on the forum recently.  Us Pats fans usually use 2 major points to put Brady on top; post season performance, and Brady never had star WR's until recently.  Have any of Manning's good WR's moved on to other teams to be lackluster performers, or were they still good?  I was just wondering if Manning truly has always had a great supporting cast, or if he also makes his WR's look good like TB?  In either case, Brady is still the better QB.
    Posted by carawaydj
    I only know of only one WR of his that moved on Brandon Stokely and he's done ok but then again he was only ok when he was with Manning,This year Harrison may wind up playing for someone else and then we will see if he was just exceptional because of Manning.I would still rather have Brady as my QB,and depending on my draft spot in my league this afternoon I might get him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

In Response to Will Galloway be an upgrade at 3rd reciever?:
    Are the Patriots wasting there time with Galloway?  He will likely beat out Brandon Tate, Greg Lewis, Sam Aiken, and  Matt Slater.  Tate and Slater are too green to start.  Aiken and Lewis have had little production.  Galloway has been in the league since 1995. Does everyone else expect the Patriots to bring in another veteran?
    Posted by jmmyslinski

well, if he beats out the rest of them then he wasn't a waste of time

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Yes.

Galloway has game-breaking speed that Gaffney didn't have and was once a league-leading receiver used to all of the schemes that number one receivers have to face - double teams, press, bump-and-run, et al, all things he won't have to face while on the Patriots because teams will have to be concerned about Welker and Moss.

I think he also brings everything to the table that Gaffney did in terms of experience in the league and knowing what to do in certain situations.

And I agree that even Greg Lewis is an upgrade over Gaffney.  Having all four makes the Patriots absurd.

I'm pumped to see what this offense can do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Will Galloway be an upgrade at 3rd reciever?:
    Are the Patriots wasting there time with Galloway?  He will likely beat out Brandon Tate, Greg Lewis, Sam Aiken, and  Matt Slater.  Tate and Slater are too green to start.  Aiken and Lewis have had little production.  Galloway has been in the league since 1995. Does everyone else expect the Patriots to bring in another veteran?
    Posted by jmmyslinski

NO

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Can he stay healthy for a full season and remain effective in the playoffs ?

That same question applies for everyone, all 53 players need to stay healthy, not possible however, football is a collision sport and there will be many injuries. Depth is always a strength for a BB coached team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mplsnick. Show mplsnick's posts

Grogan77 and others, yes Brady makes his receivers better and let me preface my comment by offering my opinion that it's a toss up between him and Montana as greatest QB of all-time.  That said, you are completely short-changing the impact Randy Moss has on this team and the teams he has played for his entire career (excluding two hapless years in Oakland with no QB and the worst team in the league).  In '98 Moss came to the Vikings and was the only new starter from '97.  In '97 the team's offense was average and Randall Cunningham was a backup.  With Moss as THE ONLY addition, in '98 they set the record for most points scored in the history of the league with Cunningham improving 30 points on his QB rating, becoming All-Pro and MVP candidate.  This was entirely due to Moss as he was the only additional starter in '98 from '97. Moss also made Daunte Culpepper an All-Pro for years, only to become completely average and cut multiple times without Moss.  In '99 Jeff George had his career year throwing bombs to Moss in MN.  Backups Frerrotte and Boumann also had career years throwing bombs to Moss in MN.  Fast forward to 2007, and you know it all happened again in NE with Moss.  With Moss as the only major addition from NE's average offense in '06, Brady's rating jumps 30 POINTS from the prior year and AGAIN the team with Moss breaks Moss's '98 Vikings team's record for most points scored in the single season in NFL history.  Moss has more impact on an NFL offense than any WR in history and yes, that includes Jerry Rice.  Jerry Rice had a longer career and will have better stats, but a review of the 49ers stats after his arrival shows the team actually averaged fewer points than before his arrival when they were a powerhouse with Montana/Craig/Clark et, al.  It never ceases to amaze me how relatively LITTLE respect Randy Moss gets from both the fans and the media.  Ask BB, as he said when he signed Moss, "There is no single player in the NFL who alters defenses more than Randy Moss."  BTW, Galloway will have a huge impact, facing single coverage with Moss and Welker getting most of the attention.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

I guess it all depends on which Galloway shows up. He's had eight really good seasons (six over 1,000 yards). He's also had six not-so-good seasons, one of which was last year. A big part of those not-so-good seasons was injuries, but that was not the only factor. He's also been around for a number of seasons (this will be his 15th). I believe that the better Galloway will show up. He's (appearently) healthy, on a great offense with great quarterback, not expected to play every down, hungry for a ring, and playing under someone who knows how to best utilize veteran players. I also think that defenses at the beginning of the season will focus on Moss and Welker and make the Patriots prove that Galloway can still play. If Galloway goes against single coverage (with the team's third best corner) with Brady throwing him the ball, he's going to smoke 'em every time. In my estimation, that will happen a number of times early in the season. Some defense will then focus more on Galloway, and that will open things up big for either Moss or Welker or perhaps the TEs and RBs. What kind of stats will Galloway have? Here's my guess: 47 rec, 691 yards, 14.7 avg, 5 td. And that's an upgrade over last year. Besides that, I think the bottom end of the WR corps has improved significantly.
    Posted by Ritchie_az

Galloway had a broken foot last year and when he was ready to come back, Gruden already had his replacement getting good reps and playing well, thus deciding to keep Galloway on the bench.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Greg Lewis is not an upgrade over Gaffney no way no how. He will be good but Gaffney had great timing with Brady, he was one of Bradys faverit targets in practice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dead54. Show Dead54's posts

Greg Lewis is not an upgrade over Gaffney no way no how. He will be good but Gaffney had great timing with Brady, he was one of Bradys faverit targets in practice.
    Posted by MVPkilla

Greg Lewis could be almost as good though. Both came to the Pats as vets with poor stats, and once recieved passes from Mr Cambells soup, and became solid targets. I don't think anyone's trying to insult Gaffney, they are just saying we need to see Lewis with a great QB. Plus, he doesn't need to be as good as Gaffney who at point was the best receiver. Lewis will likely always be fourth, but that is better for him and the Pats anyway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Dont get me wrong I want Greg Lewis to be a beast but right now I just wont give him the edge over gaffney who I watched transform his game to top level while with the Pats.

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts