Will Goodell Fine Tomlin?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Will Goodell Fine Tomlin?

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

God crusty, just shut up.

He made no motion to the right, he was already standing there.  He shouldn't have been standing in play and he may get fined for that but there was no deliberate step to impede.

In fact if you watch it, the ref is also running up the sideline to the left of him and if Tomlin had made an attempt to get back earlier, he would have knocked him into tomorrow.

He had to wait for the zebra to pass him to jump to the left and safely off the field.

Like Bb said, after watching.  It could have happened to anyone.  You just have to be careful. Lesson learned.

You're on record as a liar and fraud saying, he didn't quickly step to his right with his right foot onto the field?? Is that the stance you're taking as a fraud on this matter?  Is it?

BB is not going to comment on another coach while the league is looking to levy punishment, dumbo. BB couldn't not have sidestepped his opinion of it any more. Pun intended.

Wrong, liar.  Prove it.  Show us where he stepped to impede?

Wrong to be on the field, YES!.  Step to impede NO!

Does your mental illness cause you to see things that aren't there too?  Apparently so!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

Hypocrite Tom Jackson: "Tomlin did not do that intentionally."

What a joke.

Who pushed his right leg onto the field of play? Who made him laugh? The boogie man?  ESPN is a pathetic JOKE!

They're actually debating whether or not Jones could have scored a TD.  Unreal. I have seen a lot of arrogance in my life, but not quite like this.

The discussion is not whether or not Jones could have run for a TD, but what Tomlin intentionally did to affect the play on the field!  He was watching the board, saw the play up the sidelines and made a quick motion to his right to distract/force Jones back inside toward the middle of the field!

This is not debatable!  Unbelievable.

I can't help but feel like BB would not get these excuses from the media if he did it...

No way.  The media, league and fans would want him crucified.

That's what makes this a big deal in my opinion.  

People would be talking about how the "Cheatriots" are at it again and "Belicheat" this and that and "blah, blah, blah."

After all the heat the Pats orginization took over the Spygate fiasco I'm not willing to cut any other teams, players or coaches any slack when their time comes.  

It's Pittsburgh and Tomlin's turn.

Everyone knows about the Jets cheating ways but nobody cares cuz' they SUCK!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Fine?  He should be expelled from the league.  When's the last time a head coach assisted in a tackle on the field of play?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Along with the rest of America, I saw the play on Thanksgiving. Unlike the majority of ESPN viewers, I don't think Tomlin was trying to influence the game. But that is debatable by anyone with eyes and a motivation to comment on the play. On a play like this third quarter incident, where the player or coach has his back turned and takes no discernable action toward a player, you just don't know if his goal was to impede the player unless you can see into his head. 

Tomlin is generally a good coach in my opinion, and he accepted responsibility. Additionally, he doesn't make a clear jabbing motion, and he does actually dart out of the runner's path. Finally, he doesn't strike me as the kind of fellow to do this thing. There are coaches I loathe out there. Sean Payton, Rex Ryan, the Harbaughs, and Jim Schwartz would not shock me if they emerged as "trip artists" or instructed their players to do the same. But Tomlin isn't on that list.  

That said, Tomlin most certainly should be fined. Ironically, tripping is the competetion committee's worst nightmare, and it is a scenario that Flacco himself dredged up last season by insinuating his teammates should have come off the bench to trip Ted Ginn on the free-kick return in SB XLVII. Absent a Flacco-like sound byte, it's still in the NFL's interest to levy a fine. Tomlin's incident is one of those situations where it doesn't matter whether you can ascertain intent. The NFL cannot prove intent, nor should they have to prove intent. A stiff fine is a line in the sand. It will remind other coaches to keep off the field, and it will prevent other similar incidences from happening. The only thing that should separate this from Sal Alosi and "Wall-gate" is how it is framed by the media.

So, about that fine? A $100,000 team fine and a $25,000 coach fine are the precedent. And they aren't nearly enough. The situation is that important, because interference undermines the fabric of a twenty-two man competition. Currently, there really is no fine or penalty system in place to stop players from interfering. It doesn't take a mssion control team of scientists to deduce that, given how important each NFL game is, players and coaches will be presented with some situations where $100,000 is short incentive to to refrain from tripping a runner and influencing a game's outcome. Sacrificing a half-week's salary and a 15 yard penalty could be better than relinquishing a game deciding touchdown. Sure, it is possible for a referee to award a TD to a team on the spot following a palpably unfair act that prevented a touchdown. Yet, referees are often reluctant to influence the outcome of a game, and they do not have the time to get into the kind of judgments that something like Tomlin's actions or the Sal Alosi "wall" eventually required. The penalty should be something drastic, and it should be able to be awarded ex post facto.

If I were the NFL I would get ahead of this and start talking about serious ramifications for interference of this nature. I would start this offseason at the owners' meetings. In a few seasons we've had Flacco's comment, Tomlin's "whatever-it-was," and the Jets' obvious tripping tactic. None of it has amounted to anything much in terms of punishment, even if Sal Alosi was given a soft pink slip and allowed to resign from his position in New York.

Instead of micro-scrutinizing the angle, height, and velocity in which a defensive player approaches his opponent in attempt to glean whether or not they were trying to injure or just tackle them, Goodell should craft some rules that make sense and open a discussion that nips this behavior in the bud. I'm talking about year suspensions, forfeited draft picks, and vacated wins. The NFL has rather broad powers to penalize teams after a game, but only after a hearing. A structured and referenced commisioner's policy, like the policy for the review of illegal hits, would circumvent a team's ability to defend itself and clarify the stakes in becoming the twelfth man. 

^^^^ Not even bull-s-h-i-t, this post is pure h-o-r-s-e-s-h-i-t

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

Hypocrite Tom Jackson: "Tomlin did not do that intentionally."

What a joke.

Who pushed his right leg onto the field of play? Who made him laugh? The boogie man?  ESPN is a pathetic JOKE!

They're actually debating whether or not Jones could have scored a TD.  Unreal. I have seen a lot of arrogance in my life, but not quite like this.

The discussion is not whether or not Jones could have run for a TD, but what Tomlin intentionally did to affect the play on the field!  He was watching the board, saw the play up the sidelines and made a quick motion to his right to distract/force Jones back inside toward the middle of the field!

This is not debatable!  Unbelievable.

I can't help but feel like BB would not get these excuses from the media if he did it...

No way.  The media, league and fans would want him crucified.

That's what makes this a big deal in my opinion.  

People would be talking about how the "Cheatriots" are at it again and "Belicheat" this and that and "blah, blah, blah."

After all the heat the Pats orginization took over the Spygate fiasco I'm not willing to cut any other teams, players or coaches any slack when their time comes.  

It's Pittsburgh and Tomlin's turn.

Everyone knows about the Jets cheating ways but nobody cares cuz' they SUCK!

Agreed.  It is why I started this thread. To see if goodell would be consistent and to watch for media/fan/troll hypocrisy, as this unfolds.

If there is no or light punishment, it justifies tomlin's attempt to influence on field play

I can't believe that some posters on this forum are so willing to give Tomlin a pass.

Pittsburgh's fans have been some of the most vocal during "Spygate."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

This was not like the Jets.  The Jets' coach clearly made a move to obstruct.  Tomlin was simply careless.  I don't care if Steeler's fans kept bringing up Spygate, or even if some of their players did.  Tomlin has generally been a standup coach.  I have a hard time believing he did this on purpose.  Anything is possible, but it was in no way as obvious as the Jets....if it was on purpose.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Anyone who believes Tomlin was just being careless probably also believes Poland attacked Germany first in 1939

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to carawaydj's comment:

This was not like the Jets.  The Jets' coach clearly made a move to obstruct.  Tomlin was simply careless.  I don't care if Steeler's fans kept bringing up Spygate, or even if some of their players did.  Tomlin has generally been a standup coach.  I have a hard time believing he did this on purpose.  Anything is possible, but it was in no way as obvious as the Jets....if it was on purpose.

Was it like the Pats? The inventor of the sideline wall.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

Found this photo on the washington post's article. It's clear tomlin was watching for the player and stepped in as the player approached. then stepped out before tripping him. It was done to slow the players progress.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3649413/tomlinhop2.gif

Here's the full article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2013/11/29/mike-tomlin-crosses-line-in-steelers-ravens-game-video/?wprss=rss_sports&clsrd

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

If you still think Tomlin is a standup coach after seeing this then you haven't been paying attention. 

All of a sudden, he doesn't know not to be on the field of play while a kickoff is being returned?  Then, makes a move toward the field even further when the returner is almost even with him and then laughs about it.  

C'mon!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

If you still think Tomlin is a standup coach after seeing this then you haven't been paying attention. 

All of a sudden, he doesn't know not to be on the field of play while a kickoff is being returned?  Then, makes a move toward the field even further when the returner is almost even with him and then laughs about it.  

C'mon!

Stand up with your feet fairly close together and then pretend you need to jump to your left asap.  You will naturally want to move your right foot out to brace and propel your movement.  Now imagine there being a bit of panic.  You will most certainly move your foot out a bit to propel yourself in the other direction.

I'm not rulling out a foul play, just saying it wasn't anywhere near as obvious as what the Jets did.  I don't think it was intentional though.  We'll never know for sure.  

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Actually I think it was VERY like the Jets with one exception. THe JEts actually planned it! This appears to be an impulsive cheat. You can see him looking out of the corner of his eyes the whole way. His eyes are CLEAR in the video tape. ANd you see him step OUT further onto the field at just the right moment. and then hop back. He would not have a reason to step out on to the field regardless. And he certainly could not have stepped back had he been truly unaware of the play. 

No. It was clearly intentional. Just not planned. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

New video surfaces as Goody sits back to listen to the Rooneys beg for mercy. This is ridiculous!  This happened on Thursday!

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/12/02/New-video-surfaces-of-Tomlin-sideline-shuffle/stories/201312020145

LOOK AT HIS EYES. A video showed his eyes CLEARLY. Not question. At all. He was watching the play the whole way. ANd then the foot starting out on the field and stepping into the play. ANd the movement was clearly not one starting with a desire to move away from the field. You can tell that kind of step... There is no question here. Just a hugely bad momentary lapse of reason by Tomlin. Too bad. He is better than that. But he is guilty.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Very similar to the Jets sneaky sideline wall which could cause injury. If Goodell is serious about protecting players, will he be consistent and fine Tomlin for this little stunt pulled last night?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000289515/article/mike-tomlin-narrowly-misses-jacoby-jones-on-return

REgarding coaches on the field ...  anybody remember final drive of SB42 and coughlin grabbing the ref...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlucdnU1Lbc

It comes up in the middle of the video.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Goodell better set an example

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

Goodell better set an example

What on earth is the delay? The proof is right there on video for all to see.  Goodell is a fraud.

yeah, I know, right.  It's like totally awkward.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

Very similar to the Jets sneaky sideline wall which could cause injury. If Goodell is serious about protecting players, will he be consistent and fine Tomlin for this little stunt pulled last night?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000289515/article/mike-tomlin-narrowly-misses-jacoby-jones-on-return

REgarding coaches on the field ...  anybody remember final drive of SB42 and coughlin grabbing the ref...?

anyone check out this video?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

anyone check out this video?

Maybe coughlin can get fined retroactively like 5mil for running 10 yards onto field and grabbing ref...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Goodell is probably hoping everyone forgets......

Sections
Shortcuts