Will Goodell survive? and Smith?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Will Goodell survive? and Smith?

The lockout drags on. Goodell's monotone blaming of the players is tiring as is Smith's blaming of the league. If things do not get solved soon and part of the season is shot, people will be looking for someone to blame. Will the players blame Smith? Will the owners blame Goodell? Will they blame each other and sew the seeds for more problems. Who will the fans blame? This is a backbiting soap opera I am getting tired of.

The point is: someone is going to get blamed for this mess whether it is deserved or not. Frustrated owners, players and fans all need somebody to blame.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Re: Will Goodell survive? and Smith?

Blame it on roger and get him out of office!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Goddell is firmly and irrevocably ensconsed in my s-list.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Smith is just doing what he is paid to do. 

Roger Goodell's tenure at the NFL has been an unmitigated disaster. Strings of huge fines against players and teams, only to have those same penalties inconsistently applied. A host of unpopular rule changes. The first work stoppage in decades. The superbowl seating debacle. 

He should be fired ... regardless of the labor situation. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

well technically smith is doing what he's paid to do and that's stall everything in court.  both should be banished from the league to allow for a contract to be worked out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I would agree that, from the fans' perspective (or mine, anyway) Goodell has been the next best thing to pathetic, but the guys who pay him just gave him a whopping extension . . .   so what do I know?

Bottom line: When the games start up again, all of this will be forgotten in the blink of an eye.

Because Stone Cold says so.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Gooddell is an idiot we know this,but De Smith is the real villian here.The constant baiting of the owners and just flat out lying, the waiting on court decisions(who anyone with half a brain cell knows is gonna go against the players) the refusing to negotiate or even reject the owners offers. Ignoring offers and not counterproposing  while they sit with their thumb up their arses all the while telling the fans  he "digs" football. The guy is an idjit and he makes the moronic Gooddell look almost competent.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

A lot depends on the deal eventually reached, I think. If Goodell's strategy works and the owners can significantly cut what they pay players, the owners will love the guy. If, however, the players end up making about the same (or, even worse for the owners, if the players eventually win the anti-trust suit), then Goodell's strategy will have failed (from an owners' perspective) and he'll be fired.

For Smith, it's pretty much the same situation, but in reverse . . .  Smith, however, might be a little safer because he didn't start the labor strife, he's just trying to defend the players' interest in a conflict the owners started.  So where Goodell can be blamed for starting what may eventually be seen as a disastrous conflict, Smith can only be accused of not mounting a successful defense against Goodell's aggression. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I didn't expect that any pats fans would think that Goodell is doing a good job.  He takes the obvious hit here for the spygate decision.  Regardless of your feelings about this, it seems that he has the confidence of Bob Kraft and that says alot. 

Granted he is taking it from the fans over the league's new rules regarding illegal hits, but those decisions are not specifically his.  If I am correct, these matters are considered by the comp committee, a recommendation is made, and then the matter is put to a vote of the entire ownership.  I firmly believe that these decisions have everything to do with future legal liability concerns.  There are a lot of good, slimy attorneys out there ready, willing, and able to sue a growing $9 billion/yr industry for not doing everything they can to protect their players. 

Do you think James Harrison isn't going to take advantage of the retirement healthcare the league provides him after he is done with football?  It won't surprise me if 20 years down the line, if his that healthcare is cut off to hear him talk about giving everything to the NFL and being left with a future of many surgeries and needing some help from the league. 

This isn't Rugby in the US.  This is big big big business, and I think Goodell is doing a pretty good job of doing what he is paid to do which is push the league and protect the owners' interest. 

That said, both he and Smith are in a tough spot.  Its the first CBA for both of them and if both don't "lose" then one of their legacy's is going to be tarnished.  Smith has done a good job thus far of standing firm for his constituency. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The only thing I give Goodell credit for is trying to address player safety, it's a liability for the league as more stories like Ted Johnson and Dave Duerson come to light.  It had to be addressed, but the way he has handled it has been a debacle.  As others have pointed out, his quest to protect players from themselves has led to awful rule changes, inconsistently applied penalties and a watering down of the sport.  Maybe next year he'll require all players to wear flags and change the sport into glorified touch football.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

barring unforseen legal interuptions, the lock out will go thru the end of September when the players cave. The owners will have a huge upper hand, and Goodell will be showered with contract extension/raise as thanks for his guidance thru the NFL's darkest hour 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Will Goodell survive? and Smith?:
    The lockout drags on. Goodell's monotone blaming of the players is tiring as is Smith's blaming of the league. If things do not get solved soon and part of the season is shot, people will be looking for someone to blame. Will the players blame Smith? Will the owners blame Goodell? Will they blame each other and sew the seeds for more problems. Who will the fans blame? This is a backbiting soap opera I am getting tired of. The point is: someone is going to get blamed for this mess whether it is deserved or not. Frustrated owners, players and fans all need somebody to blame.
    Posted by NYC

Both of these guys are condescending jerks. But, of the two, I'd rather see Goodell gone. He's damaging the game with his micro-managing...and his pandering to the media. The players are on to this stuffed shirt of a Commissioner, and don't respect him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

I couldn't care less. Sick and tired of hearing it.

whats more interesting, talking about players and owners fighting over 9 billion dollars or hearing who is right/wrong.

From my perspective, neither is of any interest to me. When this is all said and done, I could give a rats @ss whether goodell is fired or is given a 50 million dollar bonus.

All I care about football and this lockout is interfering with my love of the game.

The Pats have a good, large group of rookies that aren't learning BB's complicated schemes and are not progressing. Coaches aren't out there mentoring the youngest defense in the league and a very aspiring offense. that right there is what ticks me off about this lockout, the fact that we could be getting better each and every day but instead here we are talking about a stupid lockout, none of the rookies are under contract and with each pasing day, time is taken away from these young guys who need to get up to speed in order to contribute.

Albeit, there is a possibility this is all resolved before ttraining camp is set to open so Im praying it ends ASAP.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonbam. Show jonbam's posts

I think it is naive to believe that Goodell is anything more than a mouth piece for the owners.  He is probably dominated by a strong group of owners.  He doesn't make the rules or the policies.  His biggest input is probably assisting in determining the $$$ for the fines.  He is not going away. 

Smith on the other hand can probably sway many opinions, positions and emotions from the players.  I'm sure he is much smarter and business-savoy than the majority of the masses of players.  He is much more critical for their goodwill than Goodell is for the owners.  Smith may go away after a settlement is reached but it will be on his grounds and timetable.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Will Goodell survive? and Smith?:
    The only thing I give Goodell credit for is trying to address player safety, it's a liability for the league as more stories like Ted Johnson and Dave Duerson come to light.  It had to be addressed, but the way he has handled it has been a debacle.  As others have pointed out, his quest to protect players from themselves has led to awful rule changes, inconsistently applied penalties and a watering down of the sport.  Maybe next year he'll require all players to wear flags and change the sport into glorified touch football.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

Could you possibly contradict yourself more?  Giving credit for addressing player safety while being critical by suggesting his efforts (by penalizing the hits that cause the worst injuries) are leading to flag football.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pjmj430. Show pjmj430's posts

how does goodall have any thing to do with any of it... he is like the white house press secratary... he does what the league tells him to...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

We don't know if Goodell is responsible for the strategy the league has pursued or whether he's just following the directives of the owners. My guess, however, is that the owners rely on Goodell to provide direction and advice.  He's the CEO of the league and he makes between $9 and $11 million a year (at least).  They're not paying him that much to go get coffee. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Roger serves at the pleasure of the owners and they'll keep him around until the labor dispute is settled then dump him to make the players happy.

Sections
Shortcuts