Will Gronk be the best TE ever?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

I can't avoid asking this question.  The rule changes over the past couple of years have made the TE position unstoppable, and the Patriots figured it out first.  If you can't hit a 265 pound 6'7" man after five yards, and if you can't hit him in the mouth across the middle, he will dominate.  There isn't a man in the NFL that can cover Gronkowski, and in the redzone it's a joke.  He is pretty much averaging a TD per start, and I expect it to get closer to 1.25 per game next year.  Even when Hernandez is hurt, Gronk puts up even bigger numbers. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Re: Will Gronk be the best TE ever?

the guys on Monday night wondered when the personnel will catch up with the matchup nightmare TEs, and I think we will see undersized LBs and oversized safeties who are specifically drafted to play in big nickel and big dime (3 safeties) packages and match up with tight ends

I also think that tweener LB/SS guys are more common - they used to fall through the cracks as being too small/slow, but now they can find a niche as TE-man-coverage/special-teams guys.  Guys like Gary Guyton and now Tracy White.  This might reduce TE production around the league, which is really up because guys can't match up right now

As for Gronk, I think with Brady around he'll put up prolific receiving numbers, but I hope people recognize his blocking.  It's what separates him from others who are faster, more agile.

But Jimmy Graham is vastly superior in the passing game.  Vastly.  Way faster, more agile.  His TD numbers are lower because the Saints have three great receivers who would start over anyone on the Patriots except Welker, and three good runningbacks who can capitalize on the blocking of the best guard combo in the league (Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks).  Watching him tonight against the Giants, he isn't terrible as a blocker (better than Hernandez, not blowing people out like Gronk can, not winning against DEs, just sealing).

I'd also say Jermichael Finley is faster and more agile, though not quite as much as Graham.  I've never watched him block.

Barring injury, I think Graham and Gronk will be compared a lot for the next 10 years

the guy who gets the shaft is Vernon Davis.  poor guy is playing his whole career with Alex Smith.  the guy to watch who can block too is Owen Daniels of the Texans.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

easy easy...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Right now, Gronk is the best TE in the league.

He is fast, quick, and strong enough to beat linebackers and most safeties. His size poses a problem for corners, so you can't very well try to match him with speed. But then again, you can say the same for Finley and bball star Jimmy Graham. 

What sets Gronk apart is that he mauls people: he knows how to run block. To me, he's one of the best run-blocking tight ends in league. When you have Gronk being such a threat in the run game, it makes him even more dangerous than Finley and Graham because Gronk feeds off of the play action. 

That's why you see him running so open on many plays. Linebackers can't commit on playing pass against Gronk because they'll get bulldozed.

If Gronk stays injury free and continues to do what he does, I have no doubt he'll be among the best ever.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

seriously?? come on........... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

It's year 2. Look at what Tony Gonzales has done which is obviously absolutely remarkable. He's got way too far to go. Not exactly like when people want to call a WR the next best ever but ridiculiously premature to say the least.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

He's got a good shot if-

A.  He stays healthy

2.  If the QB after Brady is decent

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

Tony Conigliaro should have / would have been the best outfielder in Red Sox / MLB history.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Will Gronk be the best TE ever?:
    [QUOTE]the guys on Monday night wondered when the personnel will catch up with the matchup nightmare TEs, and I think we will see undersized LBs and oversized safeties who are specifically drafted to play in big nickel and big dime (3 safeties) packages and match up with tight ends I also think that tweener LB/SS guys are more common - they used to fall through the cracks as being too small/slow, but now they can find a niche as TE-man-coverage/special-teams guys.  Guys like Gary Guyton and now Tracy White.  This might reduce TE production around the league, which is really up because guys can't match up right now As for Gronk, I think with Brady around he'll put up prolific receiving numbers, but I hope people recognize his blocking.  It's what separates him from others who are faster, more agile. But Jimmy Graham is vastly superior in the passing game.  Vastly.  Way faster, more agile.  His TD numbers are lower because the Saints have three great receivers who would start over anyone on the Patriots except Welker, and three good runningbacks who can capitalize on the blocking of the best guard combo in the league (Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks).  Watching him tonight against the Giants, he isn't terrible as a blocker (better than Hernandez, not blowing people out like Gronk can, not winning against DEs, just sealing). I'd also say Jermichael Finley is faster and more agile, though not quite as much as Graham.  I've never watched him block. Barring injury, I think Graham and Gronk will be compared a lot for the next 10 years the guy who gets the shaft is Vernon Davis.  poor guy is playing his whole career with Alex Smith.  the guy to watch who can block too is Owen Daniels of the Texans.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Great post.

There is an ebb and flow to these things, the Pats clearly got ahead of the curve with the TE sets but defenses will adjust, through drafting and personnel decisions. 

Gronk is clearly an elite TE this year and there is no reason to think he can't continue to be for years.  Best ever discussions are usually ridiculous as this one is.  It is his second year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

In Response to Will Gronk be the best TE ever?:
    [QUOTE]I can't avoid asking this question.  The rule changes over the past couple of years have made the TE position unstoppable, and the Patriots figured it out first.  If you can't hit a 265 pound 6'7" man after five yards, and if you can't hit him in the mouth across the middle, he will dominate.  There isn't a man in the NFL that can cover Gronkowski, and in the redzone it's a joke.  He is pretty much averaging a TD per start, and I expect it to get closer to 1.25 per game next year.  Even when Hernandez is hurt, Gronk puts up even bigger numbers. 
    Posted by jmmyslinski[/QUOTE]

Gronk is awesome, but it's WAY too early to start talking about him as the best TE ever.  Let's see how his career looks in a few years after Brady retires.  My guess is the numbers won't be quite as good...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

This question is just like what folks are saying about Rodgers and his QB play this year.  Let's see Gronk do this for a few more seasons.  One season does not make a "best ever" tag!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Yes with out a doubt! Why? Because he is the Gronk and he says so..

Beyond that, let's let e few more season tell. Kind of like Justin Bieber being the best rocker ever...only time will tell on that one! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Will Gronk be the best TE ever?:
    [QUOTE]This question is just like what folks are saying about Rodgers and his QB play this year.  Let's see Gronk do this for a few more seasons.  One season does not make a "best ever" tag!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

I was pretty sure Andrew Luck was the best QB ever but then I read about this 8 year old who through 6 TD's in a Pop Warner game, now I'm pretty sure he is the best ever.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddimaria. Show ddimaria's posts

I think he is the best TE ever because of his pics with the p0rn star.  LOL  Oh yeah, and he is pretty good on the field too...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

He is the prototypical TE. He has everything. Too often the blocking part is overlooked by fans because it is not sexy, there are no statistics and they often don't even know who made a block unless it was spectacular and right at the point of attack.

Its hard to say. The kid is only in his second year. But he has tons of potential.

By the way, how about that trade where we got him? Yes we didn't take Mathews but this guy is special and he makes a big difference in both the passing game and the running game.

Sections
Shortcuts