Will Julian Edelman get cut?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcordWiggin. Show ConcordWiggin's posts

Will Julian Edelman get cut?

I liked Edelman last year.  He filled in well for Welker.  Edelman got some impressive Yards After Catches.
    But alas, I think he will not be there for Week 1 of Regular Season.
    We have too much talent there now, and Edelman seems to be worth too much to keep.  Even Farnham (#13) looks as good or better.

What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Will Julian Edelman get cut?

It might come down to Tate or Edelman. Given Price is coming along nicely and Welker isn't signed through next year I'm thinking there's more of a job for Edelman then Tate.

Besides given the new return rules a good PR is worth more then a KR imo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Every team should have a roster full of College QB's that can't catch or stay healthy playing WR. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcordWiggin. Show ConcordWiggin's posts

In Response to Re: Will Julian Edelman get cut?:
    It might come down to Tate or Edelman. Given Price is coming along nicely and Welker isn't signed through next year I'm thinking there's more of a job for Edelman then Tate. Besides given the new return rules a good PR is worth more then a KR imo
    Posted by PatsEng

Or perhaps the new kick-from-35-yardline rule will make kickoff returns LESS a part of every team's game plan.  As for that new rule, I think it will not last past this season.  People want to see an exciting return, not knee-downs.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Jets would pick him up, Rex loves Welker (maybe not after the foot thing), and everyone believes he's the next Welker...except he can't catch or stay healthy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxpowers034. Show maxpowers034's posts

I don't think so...With the new kickoff rules punt returners are going to be valuable...I think Brandon the guy on the bubble
    http://www.60maxpowero.com/patriots/content/what-messsage-bill-belichick-sending-brandon-tate-bringing-tj-houshmandzadeh-visit

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Keep him and let Tate go. We got Price playing now

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Price seems to have been injured on that last punt return Thursday.  He hasn't been on the field or in practice since. 

Keep Edelman for the punt returns.  We need to protect the real receivers for catching Brady's passes . . . 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michael02127. Show Michael02127's posts

If they go with 6 WRs I think Slater is in for ST play, Price basically a red shirted rook he's going no where.  So assuming everyone is healthy it's between Julian and Tate then. 

From a need prospective there are usually 2 wideouts and slot WR.  Tate, Price and Slater are the backup wideouts and Edelman is the only back up to the slot and the Pats love to throw to the slot.  I know TEs and RB in this offense play the slot type role sometimes but were talking WRs.  

Edge Edelman

On field performance
    Julian filled in really well for welker when he went down.  Tate started most of last year and kinda sucked and GOT worse as the season went on.

Edge Edelman

Versaitilty
    Edleman can do punts and (I think) plays gunner on STs, and can be an emergency QB.   Tate can do Kickoffs, plays no other STs, can do end arounds running plays, only did a few with decent sucess.

Edge Edleman, only if he's a gunner and i'm not sure he is as we need them because we're going to have more "bigger" guys on Def this year with the roster I'm seeing and those guys dont play STs to fat.  Otherwise I'd say tie.

Disclaimer;

I dropped a good backup last year from my fantasy team and picked up Tate and he did NOTHING after the first 4 games or so.  Totally screwed my season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

Did everyone forget Tate took a few kickoffs to the house last year?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

hope not, rather they cut tate . the jets would pick up edelman right away if he were cut.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Did everyone forget Tate took a few kickoffs to the house last year?
    Posted by Red-Doc-Redemption

2 not all that many, edelman took a punt to the house too which is more difficult and with KO being from the 35 now a punt returner is worth more

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't think he will get cut.

Lets be honest however. Everyone has nicknamed this kid, Mini Welker. He is, and never will be Welker. he's not a Welker clone, but he does a decent impersonation when he's healthy and on the field. That said, that $9.5M or whatever amoutn we are under the cap, should be in my mind used to extend Welker.

He is also not our only slot WR. Lest we forget about Hernandez, Vereen and Woodhead. Just because they don't have "WR" next to their name, doesn't mean they can't and don't line up in the slot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

If they go with 6 WRs I think Slater is in for ST play, Price basically a red shirted rook he's going no where.  So assuming everyone is healthy it's between Julian and Tate then.  From a need prospective there are usually 2 wideouts and slot WR.  Tate, Price and Slater are the backup wideouts and Edelman is the only back up to the slot and the Pats love to throw to the slot.  I know TEs and RB in this offense play the slot type role sometimes but were talking WRs.   Edge Edelman On field performance Julian filled in really well for welker when he went down.  Tate started most of last year and kinda sucked and GOT worse as the season went on. Edge Edelman Versaitilty Edleman can do punts and (I think) plays gunner on STs, and can be an emergency QB.   Tate can do Kickoffs, plays no other STs, can do end arounds running plays, only did a few with decent sucess. Edge Edleman, only if he's a gunner and i'm not sure he is as we need them because we're going to have more "bigger" guys on Def this year with the roster I'm seeing and those guys dont play STs to fat.  Otherwise I'd say tie. Disclaimer; I dropped a good ba I think that both are goneckup last year from my fantasy team and picked up Tate and he did NOTHING after the first 4 games or so.  Totally screwed my season.
    Posted by Michael02127
    I think both Tate and Edelman are on the bubble,Slater has been actually improving as a receiver and Darnell Jenkins makes circus catch after circus catch in practice, as for Farnham though I like the kid and hope there is a place for him on this team I'm thinking he's a goner...I'm updating this to say after watching Tate, Edelman makes this team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

i'd keep edelman over tate from what i've seen. thejoshuatree28 also makes a good point about edelman being the better punt returner and that position now being more valuable because of the new rules.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

This is a tough one.  I believe Edelman stays but if the argument is that he is staying to take over for Welker next season then I gotta say you are nuts.  Edelman can't fill Welkers shoes, Edelman can't be used as effective as Welker is used, Edelman doesn't have the tools Welker has.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

With the kick off moved up 5 yards, starting field position will be worse.
    This will cause more punts making edelman more valuable. Also, welker is in the last year of his contract.
    I think Brandon Tate is gone

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Who cares? People put way too much value on both Edelman and Tate. Edelman is a couple game wonder and Tate is too inconsistent. 

I could care less if both get cut. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Will Julian Edelman get cut? : I think both Tate and Edelman are on the bubble,Slater has been actually improving as a receiver and Darnell Jenkins makes circus catch after circus catch in practice, as for Farnham though I like the kid and hope there is a place for him on this team I'm thinking he's a goner...
    Posted by sportsbozo1

Slate has improved as a receiver? Based off what? One preseason catch. The guy made one nice catch if 5 years and he's improved? He must of fell into some magical offseason pass catching program, seeing how there was no offseason in football this year. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I agree on Slater. I think he is what he is at this point. I don't seem him developing into any type of serious NFL caliber WR. He's a ST ace, maybe a 5th/6th WR as pure depth, called upon in case of injury or something.

With Gostkowski's leg, he should nailing touchbacks just about every kickoff. If that is the case, a guy like Slater, and a guy like Tate are not very valuable to this team. Edelman in my mind is more valuable because he can return punts, and also can serve as a viable WR, where I think he is better than Slater, and probably on par or slightly better than Tate. It's a wash.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think BB said in a roundabout way that kickoffs are being de-emphasized as a part of the game by the league.  Is it a safety thing?  To me, that means that a guy like Tate, whose individual ability will be on display less often, needs to shine as a WR to beat out a guy like Edelman.  Edelman looks like he's a top notch punt returner and he looks like a better receiver in my opinion.  I see Tate being cut before Edelman, if either are cut. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Do you really want to cut Edelman when this might be Welker's last year as a Patriot? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Will be interesting to see what happens with kick-offs . . . there's a possibility that kicking teams will purposely kick high and short to try to pin the receiving team near the goal line (but keep the ball out of the endzone to avoid a touchback).  If this happens, fast coverage guys like Slater may be very valuable.  The alternative strategy is just to kick everything deep and play for touchbacks.  I'll be curious to see what coaches end up doing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Goodbye Tate. Even Troy Brown thinks that Tate will never become a very good receiver. He seems to like Edleman much more . I trust Troy's observations

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

unless tate plays his but of  he may be gone edleman has more vaule sine he can also be an emrgency QB and he plays on ST

Sections
Shortcuts