Will Mallet ever be the starting QB for the Patriots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Will Mallet ever be the starting QB for the Patriots?

Just a thought I had reading through the Mallet thread on this forum. Do you think Mallet will be traded at some point (there is the Browns rumor, but even if that doesn't happen) or do you think he stays long enough to eventually take over when Tom Brady leaves?

I know nobody can truly answer it, but just wanted to hear some opinions.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Will Mallet ever be the starting QB for the Patriots?

If they were thinking of him as a chip to trade this would be the year to do it. A number of teams looking for a QB, a poor FA class, and a poor draft class. In addition Mallet's under contract for 2 more years at a very reasonable deal and has reduced those off-field concerns. If he doesn't get traded this offseason he might be the hire appearent

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

If they were thinking of him as a chip to trade this would be the year to do it. A number of teams looking for a QB, a poor FA class, and a poor draft class. In addition Mallet's under contract for 2 more years at a very reasonable deal and has reduced those off-field concerns. If he doesn't get traded this offseason he might be the hire appearent

Very true.  If there was ever a year to trade him, this is definitaly it. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

Don't tell the pink hats that BB has a quality trading chip. 

lol, yeah, that wont go over so well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Hopefully not while Brady is still playing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

The only way he starts for the Pats is if TB gets injured.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i"f they were thinking of him as a chip to trade this would be the year to do it."

exactly.

game has not slowed down for him. dont see him as a good starting qb. get a pick for him and draft a qb in 7 or udfa as a backup (if our backup sees the field we are going nowhere)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Very true.  If there was ever a year to trade him, this is definitaly it. 

agree, thats been my line all year, only not if, it should happen

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

I wouldnt trade him, I'm not sure how much longer Brady has. I love Brady but i'm a realist, at his age he could disintergrate to an average / below average QB at anytime. I'd rather have an insurance on the bench when / if that happens.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Quite frankly, how anyone can make an assessment of Mallett's progress toward becoming an NFL starting QB is beyond me.  Can't possibly imagine what the frame of reference might be.

Speaking directly to the question, quite possibly, yes.  TB is probably good for 3 more years (perhaps more but not sure) and he will need to be replaced.  Mallett certainly has the physical tools to be an NFL QB.  The rest of it is still to be determined.

Trade value?  Interesting speculation.  We'll see. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Probably not ever a starter for the Pats unless Brady gets injured or wants 20M/year on an extension after next season. If Brady extends and does not get injured, then Mallet will be a FA and the Pats will not be able to afford to keep him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Don't tell the pink hats that BB has a quality trading chip. 

I don't think anyone is saying he doesn't, but you seem to think the kid is a pot of gold. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I do not think Mallet will ever start here unless Brady gets injured.  I think Brady will play at a high level longer than people think.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Quite frankly, how anyone can make an assessment of Mallett's progress toward becoming an NFL starting QB is beyond me.  Can't possibly imagine what the frame of reference might be.

Speaking directly to the question, quite possibly, yes.  TB is probably good for 3 more years (perhaps more but not sure) and he will need to be replaced.  Mallett certainly has the physical tools to be an NFL QB.  The rest of it is still to be determined.

What about BB? Can he make an assessment? Do you really think BB would lie to Lombardi about his progress?

Rusty, point wasn't about whether or not Mallett can play or BB's evaluation of talent.  My point was that I don't know that anyone, BB included, can determine with any certainty whether or not this kid can or will be a starting QB.  The guy has had, what, maybe 15 minutes total, if that, over a couple of seasons time on the field during regular season games.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

What about BB? Can he make an assessment? Do you really think BB would lie to Lombardi about his progress?

What is more important, maximizing what you can get from Lombardi or giving Lombardi a 100% accurate assessment of what you think Mallett can do. There is a bit of a catch-22 here, if BB really thinks that Mallett is good enough to be a franchise QB, why not hold on to him for two more years and give him the job when a 37 year old Brady is a free agent? If BB sees Mallett as a trading chip, then I would hope that he would lie to Lombardi about his progress and potential.

Lombardi may actually be dumb enough to give up a first round pick for Mallett even if no one else is making similiar offers. It is not like he actually has a good track record as an NFL excecutive. The Browns had one winning season in the last time he was Director of Player Personnel, and the Raiders were a disaster the last six seasons he was in Oakland as the Senior Personnel Executive. Did Cleveland hire him back passed on his television and sportswriting career?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jjbag's comment:

I wouldnt trade him, I'm not sure how much longer Brady has. I love Brady but i'm a realist, at his age he could disintergrate to an average / below average QB at anytime. I'd rather have an insurance on the bench when / if that happens.

mallet is insurance on nothing. mallet is not going to bring a title. not in th next 3-4 years

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

the best qbs have to have the game "slow down" for them in order to be good qbs. aint happenin for now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

Probably not ever a starter for the Pats unless Brady gets injured or wants 20M/year on an extension after next season. If Brady extends and does not get injured, then Mallet will be a FA and the Pats will not be able to afford to keep him.

exactly.

mallet plays, we hve no sot at a title. so our backup is not a critacal position unless it truly is our qb of the future. otherwise in an emergency we could just ride the best qb fa available or play for a lower draft pick with crappy backup we have

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I hope not