Will Mallet ever make it to be the Pats starter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prob2236. Show prob2236's posts

Will Mallet ever make it to be the Pats starter?

If Mallet continues to improve will Brady be released after his current contract expires 3 years from now or is Mallet here to be trade bait for a high pick some day.  Brady expressed his desire to play another 10 years after Mallet was drafted and I dont expect him to retire after his current contract ends.  Is Mallet the future of this team or just a way for the pats to haul in more top picks?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Re: Will Mallet ever make it to be the Pats starter?

I really can't imagine Brady going anywhere.  He's 34 and I believe he could still play at a high level for the next 6-7 seasons.  Mallet will remain for the Pats for the next 3 years before a decision will be made.  I believe that he'll be traded for a 1st round pick before the 2014 season.

Any talk of anything happening before that time is just talk.  BB won't give him away and he certainly won't be starting for the Pats (unless Brady is injured).  His value will be maxed out in 3 years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

This is an interesting debate...I you ask me Mallet looked awesome last night considering he just got to camp a week ago & has barely had any insight into the pats O before that. I thought Gabbert looked horrible mechanocs wise vs Mallet...

My guess is that Mallet will be ready in a couple years to be our QB & Brady will be the QB of his hometown 49ers to finish his career....Sad but likely..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Injuries happen.  Surely, the team does not want to be in a position where they have to throw away a season on account of their top QB going down.  If TB goes down for any reason, I am much more confidence that this kid will be able to make a game of it whilst improving..kinda like the way Tom did when he broke in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

A lot of hype over one preseason game against the Jaguars 3rd string.....

If Tom is still at the top of his game when his deal is up and wants to keep playing, he will be with the Pats. As hard as he works, I see no reason why that won't happen. Mallet will be traded in a few years for two 2nds or maybe even a 1st and Brady's replacement will be drafted then. The drafted Mallet because they anticipate getting offers for Hoyer who played very well last night. I think Mallet will be good, not good enough to cause the Pats to let Brady walk before he is done playing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

i woildnt be surprised if mallet could be traded for a low first rounder by next april. trade that for a 2nd rounder and future first, and repeat process every year. perpetual harvest of 2nd rounders, ad infinum, for our 3rd round pick. mallet could probably beat out starters for 3 or 4 teams by the end of this year. his value is already at least a 2nd rounder right now, just from being drafted by the pats and performance last night.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DarkFenX89. Show DarkFenX89's posts

The cold hard truth is nobody is safe on the Patriots, and that's including Brady. What I see happening is this. As Brady starts to decline, probably around 37 or 39, they will probably cut him even if Mallet is not nearly his level, if they see that having Mallet playing and developing will give the Patriots a better chance at the Super Bowl for the next 5 or so years. By that time, Mallet will only be 26-28.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Hoyer will be traded, perhaps this year before his contract runs out or he'll be tendered at the 2nd round level after this year & traded durring
    or before next years draft...

Mallett will be developed for the next 3 years under Brady....how he performs durring that time will determine Bradys fate...

IF he becomes the stud we all hope he is Brady will be delt(coming off a superbowl appearence) for multiple picks to some west coast team (49ers/seattle/Raiders)(some place close to home), probably getting us 2-1sts, 3-2nds, 2-3rds, 2-4ths over a 4 year period to help keep star players around Mallett as he builds his legend....

Bill does stuff like this, getting rid of players while they still hold value and are on the down side of their careers...Brady will still be very good but delt for the future dispite that.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Unless Mallet shows he is markedly superior to Brady, Brady must remain.

Any sort of move that has Brady playing for any other team, even for a day, is extremely undesirable from a sentimental, historical and team culture standpoint.

When we are talking Brady, we are talking Russell, Williams and Orr here. There will be nothing whatsoever desirable about Tom ever pulling on another team's shirt.

It is rather remarkable that such as this can even be contemplated, as we are talking about one guy who is the reigning MVP and a first ballot Hall of Famer, vs, a guy who has done absolutely nothing to this point.

Of course such thought stems from the kool-aide swilling Hoodie worship which in its drunken stupor thinks Hoodie is the  key to the success of our recent history.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

there was an article somewhere after the cba lockout was resolved, saying that mallet was a big winner with the new shorter contracts for rookies. i forget which new rule applied to mallet, but hes only here for 4 years tops, and brady will still be near prime performance level. mallet is the right savior at the wrong time. if he continues to have a great preseason and doesnt throw a bunch of picks, his value next month or october could be crazy high, like a first round pick from minny, seatle, san fran, or rival miami. potential franchise qb locked up for cheap for 4 years= valuable.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

for crying out loud folks....one preseason game and we are talking about Mallet like he is Joe Montana....

give the entire team a few games and then make a educated decision on where we sit with any of the players.

Mallet , Merriweather,anybody...might look HOF one preseason game and on the verge of being cut on another.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Kid was impressive last night.  2014 Starter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

At minimal he will be the next Dan Marino with that cannon arm.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Both Aaron Rogers and Matt Cassel spent 3 years each as a back up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from june2010. Show june2010's posts

One game against BACK UPS and we're convinced Brady is on the way out. These guys saw a vanilla defense last night with BACK UPS!!!!!!!!!

Come on guys, really, the scrubs were on the field last night.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Will Mallet ever make it to be the Pats starter?:
    [QUOTE]If Mallet continues to improve will Brady be released after his current contract expires 3 years from now or is Mallet here to be trade bait for a high pick some day.  Brady expressed his desire to play another 10 years after Mallet was drafted and I dont expect him to retire after his current contract ends.  Is Mallet the future of this team or just a way for the pats to haul in more top picks?
    Posted by prob2236[/QUOTE]

Waaaay to early to know what his fate is. But here's a thought, he's only two injuries away from being  a starter THIS year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

No.

I don't think most fans understand that Brady loves this game and will be playing for at least 7 more years. Brady's successor is still in high school.

Mallet and Hoyer will be traded between now and then. And guess what? There will be another "Hoyer, Mallet, or Cassel" project that the Patriots will develope and trade too. How do I know? Because this is what they do.

Don't be surprised if some desperate team comes calling for Mallet before the season starts.......Oakland? San Francisco? Could happen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Just because Mallet looked so good should not infer the Pats are thinking Brady is a short timer.  To have a good back-up QB is a much better position for the team to be in than a team like the Colts who is all Manning then nada!  Mallet and Hoyer are trade possibilities and there are always going to be good QBs in the draft for the Pats in the years to come.  Given the way Brady came back from major knee surgery, when many many fans here and elsewhere did not think he would come back so strong, is an indication he'll be around for a while.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I think Brady is the starter for 3 more years.  He gets traded to San Fran with a year left on his current deal for a 1st round pick and the Mallett era begins in 2014. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

In Response to Re: Will Mallet ever make it to be the Pats starter?:
    [QUOTE]No. I don't think most fans understand that Brady loves this game and will be playing for at least 7 more years. Brady's successor is still in high school. Mallet and Hoyer will be traded between now and then. And guess what? There will be another "Hoyer, Mallet, or Cassel" project that the Patriots will develope and trade too. How do I know? Because this is what they do. Don't be surprised if some desperate team comes calling for Mallet before the season starts.......Oakland? San Francisco? Could happen.
    Posted by btownteamsrking[/QUOTE]

That would be hysterical if Good Ole Uncle Al were to give NE a 1st  rounder and change for a guy that they drafted with a 3rd only a few months earlier. Heck knowing Al Davis, he'd probably offer a 1st and a 2nd or two him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

There's a lot more to being a QB than being able to throw a ball a country mile.  Brady can read defenses.  Brady makes sound decisions.  Brady doesn't force the ball.  Mallett has issues with all of these.  Can Mallett be coached?  It appears to be but he has a long way to go before any talk about being Brady's replacement.  I can't believe we are actually putting this guy on a pedestal so soon.  All it takes is couple of bad games and the bust faeries will be on his butt.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Tom won't be playing for BB 6 years from now, he has 3 more years of elite ball left in him. Mallet has those 3 years to become the QB he can be. He has the best arm in the league today, if he works on his accuracy and learns to master the reads he'll be something special. 

I could see a Montana/Young coming up. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from norichcrybabies. Show norichcrybabies's posts

You guys are fcked.

Brady's not going anywhere unless Bill says so.  Bill's not letting his fellow film rat/offensive coordinator go anywhere until he's obviously ready to go (VERY declining) AND has his replacement in place.  I'm not getting excited because this kid through against Bob and Steve smith, who, like all the rookies/UDFA's that were playing in that game, just got to camp.  Is he more ready than some QB's out there?  Yeah.  Will he be once guys get a full camp?  Maybe.  Pretty nice having a solid o-line holding off future members of XYZ Insurance.com.

I understand your optomism, just temper it a bit...  Jeesh, you'd think this was the All-knowing, All-Powerfull Michael Bishop...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Brady will leave after his contract is up. He will then sign with the Jets and lead them to a couple of Super Bowl victories before he retires.

Sections
Shortcuts