Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up?

I don't mean a 50-50 ratio of pass to run.

I'm wondering if he will be continue the trend of being pass happy and predictable....or if he has matured enough as a coach to know how to mix things up and become less predictable?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up?

in Response to Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up?:
    I don't mean a 50-50 ratio of pass to run. I'm wondering if he will be continue the trend of being pass happy and predictable....or if he has matured enough as a coach to know how to mix things up and become less predictable?
    Posted by anonymis

Based on the first interview he gave since coming back to the Patriots he's very excited about all the weapons he has at his disposal that included the young running backs. I think it all depends on the health of the offensive line, TEs, and running backs. If the OL can dominate like I think this one can do then it wouldn't surprise me if he mixed it up enough to through the defenses off and as you say become less predictable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

The last time he led the NE offense, the offense set a record for points scored in a season (589).  I like that kind of predictability. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

As I have pointed out on several occasions, our team ran at about the NFL average rate per game last season. They passed about 4 times more per game than the average, but also had about 4 more plays per game than the average team. So the term "pass happy" in regard to the 2011 New England Patriots realative to the rest of the league is mythical.

I suspect if McDaniels is stuck with running similar to the anemic 3.7 yac BJGE provided as featured back, he will certainly call 3 or 4 more pass plays a game like O'brien did. Who in their right mind wouldn't?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In 2007 we were 9th in the NFL in rushing attempts, funny how that led to the single greatest offensive outburst in NFL history.

The following season when Brady went down and we fell back on a QB who didn't start one college game we ranked #4 in rushing attempts and led the entire NFL in first downs.  In a year when their "franchise QB" went down, when the guy who supposedly is the only reason Belichick is successful went down, all the Pat's did was go 11-5 finishing the season on a 4 game winning streak.

McDaniel's isn't overly pass happy and we can hope he learned from the outcome of 2007, I think he's a smart guy and can figure out that Charlie Weis had some good ideas.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

People who want to run and run are ignoring reality, this is a passing league, you run to kill the clock and occasionally keep the D off balance...This team, along with almost all the strong offensive teams in the league, is built on the passing game.  End of story.  Sick of hearing about the run game, focus more on pass-pro and the offense will be just fine.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Yeah because we haven't passed enough to win... laughable.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

2 young, explosive RB's + deep threats that safeties must respect = a much improved running attack.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In Response to Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up?:
    People who want to run and run are ignoring reality, this is a passing league, you run to kill the clock and occasionally keep the D off balance...This team, along with almost all the strong offensive teams in the league, is built on the passing game.  End of story.  Sick of hearing about the run game, focus more on pass-pro and the offense will be just fine.
    Posted by andrewmcintosh

That must explain why all the teams that passed for over 5,000 yards didn't win the Super Bowl.

It does take a balanced offense to be able to take what the defense gives you. If the team you're playing can't defend the run why on earth would you pass the ball? But if your team only has an average or below running game then you certainly have to stick to the passing game. I would think that in this case you are not putting your team in the best postion to win.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

In Response to Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up? : That must explain why all the teams that passed for over 5,000 yards didn't win the Super Bowl. It does take a balanced offense to be able to take what the defense gives you. If the team you're playing can't defend the run why on earth would you pass the ball? But if your team only has an average or below running game then you certainly have to stick to the passing game. I would think that in this case you are not putting your team in the best postion to win.
    Posted by GO47

So the Giants won because of their superior run game?  Surely you kid.  The play where the ball went from Eli's hands to Manninghams hands, that was a run?  Look at the top 5 rushing teams from last season, and show me this correlation between running and winning.  And the Giants were quite stout against the run, so i'm not sure what that has to do with it.  How many games has Adrian Peterson won for the Vikings?  Not many....This league is set up to pass and push the ball downfield, the running game compliments that, it shouldn't be a major aspect of the offense imo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

2 young, explosive RB's + deep threats that safeties must respect = a much improved running attack.
    Posted by tcal2-

true.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I see alot of passing, and some running

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In 2007 we were 9th in the NFL in rushing attempts, funny how that led to the single greatest offensive outburst in NFL history. The following season when Brady went down and we fell back on a QB who didn't start one college gam e we ranked #4 in rushing attempts and led the entire NFL in first downs.  In a year when their "franchise QB" went down, when the guy who supposedly is the only reason Belichick is successful went down, all the Pat's did was go 11-5 finishing the season on a 4 game winning streak. McDaniel's isn't overly pass happy and we can hope he learned from the outcome of 2007, I think he's a smart guy and can figure out that Charlie Weis had some good ideas.
    Posted by wozzy

Excuse me, the 2008 team didn't even make the playoffs wozzydoo. BB has made them 9 out of 10 times with Brady though. Only once in 7 tries without him. Don't you just hate those pesky things called facts? They really throw a monkey wrench into your spin move.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

The past 7 superbowl champions have been 
    -Steelers X2
    -Colts
    -Saints
    -Packers
    -Giants X2

Every one of those teams is a pass first offense, and they have a ton of success doing it.  If people want to argue the Pats need a better defense, that's perfectly legit.  But they haven't lost many games due to an aversion to running....imo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Live by the pass, die by the pass. Once every so often, Brady will have a bad game. When that happens the Patriots generally lose because the running game and\or the defense hasn't been good enough to make up for it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Live by the pass, die by the pass. Once every so often, Brady will have a bad game. When that happens the Patriots generally lose because the running game and\or the defense hasn't been good enough to make up for it.
    Posted by digger0862

Valid point, though those games are fairly few and far in between...But that's when you'd like to see the Defense show up and make game changing plays, instead of giving up 5 minute 60 yard drives then "stiffening" in the red zone.  Some times you have to force the pace of play, make the opposing offense uncomfortable.  Pats D hasn't been able to do that in half a decade because they've lacked the top end athletic talent in the front 7.  It would appear BB has recognized that you don't win superbowls with Tully Banta Cain and Derrick Burgess, but we'll see.  All i'm really saying here is that the big money, workhorse runningback has almost zero correlation to winning in this league, runningbacks are a dime a dozen and can be easily found and replaced when they inevitably wear down by their early 30s.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

No question that the NFL has become a passing league.  Given the offensive weapons that the Pats have it will be very interesting to see what changes McD will make.  I'd like to see a little more emphasis on the ground game if for no other reason than to take some of the pressure off of TB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Posted by digger0862

How many teams run a lot when they're behind or have a small lead with a D that gives up 21+ pts a game?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

We need to keep our defense off the field.  I like what we did with the draft for the "D".  Until we can stop the other team we need to  keep the ball away from them, that is with a running game

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

How many teams run a lot when they're behind or have a small lead with a D that gives up 21+ pts a game?
    Posted by pezz4pats

You're right pezz but it would be sweet to see one of our backs take it to the house every now and then.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

As I have pointed out on several occasions, our team ran at about the NFL average rate per game last season. They passed about 4 times more per game than the average, but also had about 4 more plays per game than the average team. So the term "pass happy" in regard to the 2011 New England Patriots realative to the rest of the league is mythical. I suspect if McDaniels is stuck with running similar to the anemic 3.7 yac BJGE provided as featured back, he will certainly call 3 or 4 more pass plays a game like O'brien did. Who in their right mind wouldn't?
    Posted by BabeParilli

And that is fine. I'm not asking that they become a run-first team. What I would advocate are less predictable playcalling using similar formations, but very different options (i.e., play action plays), or movement of players along the line near goal line situations (i.e. misdirection plays).

The way the Patriots are playing will win a ton of games, but may not win championships (i.e., the old colts).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Posted by andrewmcintosh

actually, more focusing on being unpredictable; whether or not it includes run plays or not (although I can't imagine that being less predictable would mean running less...lol). Secondly, it's to address how to beat teams who are able to get to brady and cover our receivers long enough (i.e., Giants). So, if an opposing team shuts down brady and the passing game, how do you propose that the Patriots win those kinds of games?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up? : So the Giants won because of their superior run game?  Surely you kid.  The play where the ball went from Eli's hands to Manninghams hands, that was a run?  Look at the top 5 rushing teams from last season, and show me this correlation between running and winning.  And the Giants were quite stout against the run, so i'm not sure what that has to do with it.  How many games has Adrian Peterson won for the Vikings?  Not many....This league is set up to pass and push the ball downfield, the running game compliments that, it shouldn't be a major aspect of the offense imo.
    Posted by andrewmcintosh

The Giants won because they made a couple of more plays than the Patriots. They got to Brady and the receivers just enought to keep the patriots from scoring 30+ points.  What did the Patriots do to help themselves in that game? The defense really couldn't get off the field, and the D certainly didn't make a stop or two when they needed it, and the offense simply didn't move the chains when they needed to because they couldn't figure out how to move the ball.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up? : You're right pezz but it would be sweet to see one of our backs take it to the house every now and then.
    Posted by digger0862

Oh, I'd love to see that too, TB does need some pressure off him.
    They just haven't had that guy. 
    I was impressed with Vereens limited snaps and Mike Reiss named him as his player to watch this season as he is speedy and elusive.
    Perhaps he's that guy. 
    The D will have to be able to hold a lead though or we will see much the same.

Sections
Shortcuts