Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up?

In Response to Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up? : Well in defense of the defense, they did loose like 8 D starters and a few scrubs to IR.  Several others missed games and others played but were really busted up.  There's only so many you can carry so you have to account for that. They were just too thin and had to pick up players nearly every week. It's actually been a real problem for the past few years. I'd be happy with some solid guys that could stay on the field. I'm sure BB would be too!  It was not the D he envisioned when preseason started.  Remember how excited every one was to see a D in their first few games.
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]
    Good point, I was as excited as anyone...I had certainly hoped for more from Bert and Bodden, but that's how the NFL goes.  The D lacked the depth and athletic talent to make big plays, and i'm growing more and more convinced that "modern" nfl defense is about turnovers and passrush, the traditional bend but don't break template gets shattered by some of these offenses that can throw it all over the field.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

so, does that mean BB is late in the game re: defenses focusing on having a great pass rush? Or that he hasn't done a good job getting the right people in for that job?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]there is more talent now than probably at any other time in the sports history-certainly as far as pure athletic ability goes. we take for granted just how good today's athletes are in all sports. so no, whatever the problem is for certain teams it is not lack of talent, no way...
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]
    Right, that's why the 27th and 31st ranked defenses were playing in the super bowl.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up? : Right, that's why the 27th and 31st ranked defenses were playing in the super bowl.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]
    Difference was, Giants had an elite pass rush, the Pats didn't.  Giants secondary is nothing to write home about, Rolle is outrageously over-rated...approaches big-bang clock over-rated.  But they can foul things up rushing four.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The average level of talent may be way higher now than it was in the past, but it's still just average . . .

What you need to win is above average talent . . . and that's maybe even harder to get as the average level of talent gets better and better 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

[QUOTE]so, does that mean BB is late in the game re: defenses focusing on having a great pass rush? Or that he hasn't done a good job getting the right people in for that job?
    Posted by anonymis[/QUOTE]
    IMO BB was a step behind regarding the amount of time defenses now spend in their sub packages/passing down fronts...The 2 gapping, 5 tech general philosophy is becoming a bit of a dinosaur, barring exceptional talent like Seymour who can do it all.  The man obviously knows orders of magnitude more about football than I do, but until this draft he never spent serious resources on a pass rusher.  And no, Crable in the 3rd does not count.  If you can't passrush, your offense better be lights out.  The run game has become less and less important with each year since about mid decade....again, IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up? :  Meanwhile the O was without the effective services of the guy who scored about a third of the offensive TDs. But a stiff like you makes zero allowance for that. Basically, you're clueless. But the botton line is and always will be: the D lost the endgame; AGAIN.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Here we all are talking about offensive diversity and you mention a guy who caught a 1/3 of our touchdowns, does that sound like diversity... didn't think so.

And I distinctively recall Gronkowski catching a 20+ yard pass from Brady in the Super Bowl, so if I'm clueless than what does that make you? 

Also even if he was at full strength, Gronk was going to be utilized as a blocker against the Giant's overwhelming pass rush, after all if you're going to pass it 41 times against the best 4/3 pass rushing team in the league expect some pressure. Tight ends block as well genius.

The apologists for the offense's poor play in the Super Bowl all bring forth convoluted stat's and round about logic to explain why... the people like myself explaining that the defense wasn't that bad in the playoff's only point to the score.  The only stat that matters, and one that you avoid like the plague because you can't explain or dismiss it.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up? : RIght, so why are we passing 40+ times into it?  BJGE had 8 carries and 50 yards against Baltimore in the first half and then we saw Brady struggle in the second half, barely winning the AFC title game against a good pass rushing team in Baltimore. I would have rather lost the game seeing BJGE get 18 carries for example, than lose it with Brady throwing 40+ times.   That would have told me Brady and O'Brien understand the main flaw of the offense. I've never seen a team win a SB without running the ball to some degree.
    Posted by BassFishingII[/QUOTE]
    I agree that you don't need to be throwing it over 40 times every game...But most of the recent Superbowl winners have won it, and gotten there, on the strength of their passing game.  In 2007 the Giants won with 87 yards rushing, in 08 the Steelers won with 59 yards rushing, in 09 the Saints with 51 yards rushing, in 2010 the Packers with 94 yards rushing, and this past season the Giants gained a whopping 114 yards.  And they certainly did not beat NE because of their run game, in either superbowl.  If "some degree" means about 80 yards rushing, then we're on the same page.  And I think it's a bit presumptuous to conclude that a team which can passrush is automatically vulnerable to the run.  The Giants are pretty sturdy in that department.  Where I think we can agree is that the O-line, whether in pass or run schemes, HAS to play better in these big games.  They've been abused in the playoffs the past couple years.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

It is not what the offense does, it is how the defense, in a tight game, does not give up the lead late in a game.  It can't ALWAYS be about what the offense does!  For you stat heads out there..  what has been the average possession time for an offense which comes from behind and scores on their last possession to win a game?  I am certain most times it is not an offense getting the ball with less than a minute to go.  But, I'll definitely take what we have over any other team regardless of the defense.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Just a question, what elite teams have "lead backs" in the sort of workhorse, every down role?  Baltimore and Houston do, though Houston is still very much so a pass-first team.  NO, NE, GB, Pitt, NYG, Detroit looks to be on the rise; none of them take that approach and they've all been enormously successful with it.  This isn't so much an anti-running argument, as it is an anti-"lead back" argument.  For instance, those who yearn for Forte, do you realize how much money he is going to command?  Or the fact that he's done virtually nothing to contribute to the Bears winning games?  Or the concrete reality that he will break down by the time he's 30?  Running backs are a dime a dozen, one of the easiest spots on the roster to fill with adequate talent.  I'd much rather see draft picks and money spent on improving the O-line.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up? : So, let me get this straight: In an offensive era with every rule in the book favoring offenses, whether it be illegal hits, pusing off, holding, etc, etc, you expect MORE from a defense now than before? LOL!! Explain to us how that makes sense, please. Second, Brady makes 20 million, Mankins 9 million, yet you don't hold any responsibility in these players' hands?  Welker is holding out rejecting guaranteed 18 million bucks and he dropped a 3rd down pass that would have iced the game, yet you want me and others to pretend the offense has no or little accountability? Why does this make sense? Many here have said that YES,  3 and out or more would have been helpful, as would have at least 1 fumble fallen on.  Sure.  Yep.  Agreed.  But, if you have a 17-12 lead with 3 chances in the 4th qtr to even get 1 FG, ONE FG with your VERY EXPENSIVE long range kicker (Gostkowski), at some point I am expecting our biggest players and most expensive players to deliver the goods.
    Posted by BassFishingII[/QUOTE]
    Mankins has been mauled in both superbowls, spot on with that.  Though he was so hobbled in this last one, i'm not sure why he was in the game....Outside of one poor throw by Brady on the Gronk INT, he was pretty good as well.  The WRs the Pats fielded last year were pathetic, last snap of the game and you trot out Edelman and Branch?  Alabama could cover them...

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Bbabe what brought you back? Thought you retired. Not as nice as you thought sitting on your little island and drinking a sweet tropical drink?
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

I realized there is still so much work to be done here in order to enlighten those suffering in darkness.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.