Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up?

In Response to Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up? : Maybe if we threw less, and dictated more form playaction and Brady under center like he was in 2010 (pre playoffs), we see less injuries to our best players?  Is it really a coincidence that Brady has been hurt MORE so now in the pass happy/please tee off on me style we have as opposed to the Weis era when he was mainly under center (minus specific times where gameplans gave us an advantage in a Faulk base pass style)? Not pointing at you, but it's funny how the injury excuse train comes out for our offensive players, but when our young D is in a shambles out of the lockout, some here can't wait to hammer BB and the D. Hmm. The SB hits, and just which side played better outting the team in a position to win? I know my answer and it hasn't changed since the SB.  And it won't.   The D was better than our offense. I could sit here and whine all day about us losing Andre Carter and its effect onour pass rush and why we didn't get a 3 and out in the SB, but that would be doing what some are with Gronk on offense. I go by what I see. I saw a 17-12 and 17-15 lead sit there for our offense to answer with and they didn't. Completely disagree on Welker, Branch, Ochocinco and Hernandez being pathetic receiving options. I have no idea why anyone would use those words to describe that kind of talent here. Ochocinco had a 21 yard catch on the perimeter in the SB and then he was benched, You tell me how that helps the offense.  Gee, go forbid, Brady get back to "strecthing the field" sideways and using passes to draw in the DBs more, so playaction can be effective with a run game as well. Oh no!  Not that!  Show me the pretty finesse passing so I can feel good wearing my Brad jersey in my basement. lol Not you, just saying, it's beyond clear our offense needs a kick in the pants and I cannot see BB, Brady and McDaniels in a room now trying to channel our 2007 and 2011 SB failures on offense. These FBs and TEs have been brought in for a reason and if you need to use Cannon at RG this year and run sweeps to that side with a lead FB for 4 YPC to establush arun in the 1st and 2nd qtr, good, do it.
    Posted by BassFishingII[/QUOTE]
    Ocho didn't know where to lineup at any point in the season, branch was INVISIBLE in the playoffs outside of one broken play against Denver, his legs are shot.  Any outside corner in football can cover him in an outright cover-0 scheme, period.  I'm not talking about the TEs, who are obviously tremendous.  But a WR corps of Branch, Welker, Ocho, Edelman, and Slater is just not very good.  Welker is the only player who has to be accounted for, and he's not capable of producing chunk yardage on a routine basis, not his fault it's just not his game.  I think they've done a good job recitifying that this offseason, Lloyd and Gaffney should be an instant upgrade.  I hate to sound so down on Branch, because I recognize how much he's done for the Franchise over the years, but at this point he's just not a legitimate NFL WR outside the hashes.  On 9/10 teams he wouldn't see the field in a base package.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up?": 15.5 ppg scored in 2 SB's by an offense that averaged 35. Your right it was the D's fault for letting up 18 ppg in 2 SB's....BRILLIANT!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Let me try to shed some light on how sports work for you TrueChump.

It's like a baseball game where you're leading 3-2 in the bottom of the 9th, the opponent is at bat with two out and one on. Then your pitcher gives up a HR and you lose 4-2.

You don't blame the bats because they averaged 4  or 5 runs a game and only got 3. You blame those who blew the game when the win was there for the taking. I hope this helped.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up? : You blame those who blew the game when the win was there for the taking. I hope this helped.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Branch, Hernandez and Welker all dropped a ball to end the game.  Who are you blaming again?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I am betting the running game is elevated slightly this year with the offense spreading the defenses out the one spot teams will have to "give up" is the running game.  I suspect we will have a shot at setting a few offensive records this season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

[QUOTE]I am betting the running game is elevated slightly this year with the offense spreading the defenses out the one spot teams will have to "give up" is the running game.  I suspect we will have a shot at setting a few offensive records this season.
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]
    A little more emphasis on the run game is fine by me, I just reject the theory that the general spread concept is fundamentally flawed.  Is it perfect?  No, but it's darn good in a league that begs teams to push the ball downfield.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up? : 30 points a game and the offense is why we lost.   You play to your strengths.  If you have guys like Gronk & Welker tearing up the league, you don't hand the ball to a RB that can't get 4 yards.
    Posted by Bustchise[/QUOTE]

Your PPG average means nothing if you're well below it in the biggest game of the season.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will McDaniels Be Pass Happy or Mix Things Up? : It's not the amount. This what you don't get. It's how you deceive and how you use your offense to move the chains and get points.  It's how you set things up so you can dictate more so on offense. Right now, we let our offense be dictated to with shotgun spreads and moronic INTs or injuries to our QB due to that. THe only reason I mention 40 passes, is nothing more than a reference data point, to explain my premise.   It's not a definitive number, nor is my point about a lead back needing to hit 15 carries minimum. The concern in that area is more the subbing.  The constant searching for matchup advantages, which is our main ideloogical obsession and flaw on offense to the tune of some poor showings in the postseason since 2005, is a problem.  Brady is always taking about finding match up advtanges, but that can't be ALL what your offense is about. This isn't a video game. I don't really care if it's Ridley, Vereen or Bolden that NE turns to as using a lead back in this offense, but get back to using a lead back.  BJGE was fine at blitz pick ups, pass receiving and very good at turnning hard in between the tackles, so at worst, he was Antowain Smith with better hands, but he just got less carries than Antowain Smith did in these kinds of close playoff/postseason games. IF Weis had subbed A. Smith in and out of SB 36 or SB 38 as much as BJGE was subbed in and out, we don't win either of those games.  Yep. Maybe if BJGE got even just 15 carries instead of 9 in the SB, and was not subbed for much if at all in the second half, we're all praising how BB got a D together at the end with a 24-13 SB win and not constantly going back and forth like this? I'd like to see Woodhead scaled back and use LESS, promote Ridley, hope Bolden can challenge Ridley and then start using the more gifted Vereen in the Woodhead roles of 2010 and 2011.
    Posted by BassFishingII[/QUOTE]

This is the point I think many are missing about how the NFL works.

What you're looking for in the playoffs against what are ostensibly the best teams left standing (and I think BB or any other NFL HC would attest to this) is: "to put yourself in a position to win".

In 5 SBs in the BB era we have had that opportunity.

SB XXXVI - D allows the Rams to tie the game with 1:30 left. Brady drives the Pats and Vinatieri hits a 48 yard FG to win it.

SB XXXVIII - D allows Panthers to score with 1:08 left. Brady drives team and AV kicks the winning FG.

SB XXXIX - Eagles score with 1:48 left to get within 3. They get the ball back with :46 left and Harrison intercepts.

SB XLII - Brady hits Moss to take the lead with 2:42 left. Giants need a TD and get it with :35 left.

SB XLVI - D allows Giants to take a 4 point lead with :57 left and leaving the Pats needing a TD.

In each case the team was in a position to win. In 2 victories the opportunity fell to the O and they got it done. In the other victory the opportunity was really too little too late for the Eagles. In the 2 losses the opportunity fell to the D and they didn't get it done.

This is what makes one team the champion and the other not. The details of the game that bring you to that "position to win" can be argued endlessly. But there is no argument when that final moment that determines victory is either grasped or flubbed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.