Will McDaniels ever win a game as head coach?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Will McDaniels ever win a game as head coach?

I know this post may sounds nuts, but looking at the Broncos of 2008 it was all about Jay Cutler.  They went 8-8 in a pretty weak division, because they had no defense and a weak running game.  Now that the Broncos have traded away their only reason for winning any games, could the Broncos go 0-16?  And if they do would the Broncos stay with McDaniels.  This scenario is not totally out of the question as I don't see the Broncos minus Culter as good as the Raiders or K.C.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: Will McDaniels ever win a game as head coach?

they're going to win their division.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

they're going to win their division.
    Posted by KyleCleric2

Well they didn't win last season with him, I guess Jay was holding Denver back.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

jay doesn't help. adding a QB who will take care of the ball, a bunch of good RBs and offensive playmakers and then a bunch of vets on D will help a lot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Jay Cutler also lost a few games for Denver, like the one at KC where he threw two big picks within 90 seconds to blow the lead. Orton doesn't make many mistakes or throw many picks. You have to win the turnover battle and the mental battles before you can be successful, and Cutler wasn't good at either.
    Also, Denver was the 12th leading rushing team last year, and the second leading rushing team in average yards per carry. Not bad for a team with so many injuries (they had like seven different starting running backs).
    They need to improve their defense, and they have the draft picks to do so.
    I think they'll go 10-6 and win their division.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Cutler was on the Pro Bowl team because Manning and Brady were not available.Jay may go and have a marvelous career in Chicago but I don't think you'll see him playing in the super Bowl game anytime soon.Though his chances of making it to have increased dramatically,as he no longer has to try and beat out Brady,Manning or Rivers and their respective teams.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

McDaniels will have a learning curve which he may overcome during preseason or during the 1st couple of years. Remember he is a BB student of the game and has an edge, but most new coaches fail in their first attempt as head coach. Example BB and Cornell at Cleveland. Each team has their own clutch of power hungry egos to overcome. McDaniels is a product of NE, accustomed to NE egos he too must determine his actual authority while satisfying his ego without damaging all those in place EGO'S.UndecidedExample Jay Cutler. Was JC in trouble with his mates prior to McDaniels or will there be a rebellion?  Should they start out the winning your question is answered, if not he'll be in trouble. Interesting, lets wait and see!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I know this post may sounds nuts, but looking at the Broncos of 2008 it was all about Jay Cutler.  They went 8-8 in a pretty weak division, because they had no defense and a weak running game.  Now that the Broncos have traded away their only reason for winning any games, could the Broncos go 0-16?  And if they do would the Broncos stay with McDaniels.  This scenario is not totally out of the question as I don't see the Broncos minus Culter as good as the Raiders or K.C. Thoughts?
    Posted by Grogan77

Does a bear poop in the woods? JK....of course he'll win at least one game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I truly believe they have a shot at their division. One of the biggest questions in the west is how well Merriman comes back after his injury. He seemed to be a huge influence on the SD defense, much like Bob Sanders was in Indy in 06. But McDaniels has two guys now vying for the QB job. And both of them want to play for him. Cutler was spoiled by Shanahan, Josh will be the boss now. After seeing how Brady progressed, and how Cassel did when "thrown to the wolves", I'm sure he can coach one of these guys up. For those who think Cassel was a "one year wonder", we'll see. They already have an excellent WR group in Denver. They'll need to keep a couple RBs healthy, too. And with those two first rounders they could get a couple impact players on defense. This won't be the same Broncos team from a year ago. I don't think the Broncos will go 0-16! I think they'll be giving the Chargers a run. After the draft and last minute signings will be a better time to accurately judge how this team (and the rest of the division for that matter) will do. McDaniels is lucky that he has an owner who will stick with a coach. The fans may want to run him out of town unless they win their first three games or so. But remember they wanted to run Tom Coughlin out of town in September of 07! They'll need the defense to step up in any case, if they want to win many games. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

josh has done wonders with brady,and with cassel this past season.orton,and simms are good QB,s.maybe in josh,s system orton,or simms could be great,but they need some receiver threats,and more help on there defense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Seems like their is alot of anti-Jay Cutler poster out there.  I'm not a big fan of Jay either but he's a damn good QB.  I really don't see how they win the division without Cutler, the defense issues won't be solved in one season through the draft.  Kyle Orton just strikes me as another QB the benefited from a great defense.  Heck, Rex Grossman got to a Superbowl with the Bears D, and we can all agree he's nothing special.  McDaniels made a big mistake starting with the whole Cassel for Cutler fiasco, the Patriots already made the deal with K.C. so he just should have kept things as is.  And pissing off the best player and sole reason for most of your new teams wins seems like a pretty dumb move.  I also don't agree that McDaniels had anything to do with Brady's development, Tom already had three superbowl rings before Josh took over as the O.C.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Seems like their is alot of anti-Jay Cutler poster out there.  I'm not a big fan of Jay either but he's a damn good QB.  I really don't see how they win the division without Cutler, the defense issues won't be solved in one season through the draft.  Kyle Orton just strikes me as another QB the benefited from a great defense.  Heck, Rex Grossman got to a Superbowl with the Bears D, and we can all agree he's nothing special.  McDaniels made a big mistake starting with the whole Cassel for Cutler fiasco, the Patriots already made the deal with K.C. so he just should have kept things as is.  And pissing off the best player and sole reason for most of your new teams wins seems like a pretty dumb move.  I also don't agree that McDaniels had anything to do with Brady's development, Tom already had three superbowl rings before Josh took over as the O.C.
    Posted by Grogan77
    no he didnt develop brady,but he didnt hurt him eatheir. going 18-0 isnt bad,or bad game calling,and 11-5 with cassel.I never said cutler was bad, his problem is he cant finish,but i beleive that josh will have the same set up there like here in newengland.simms for example was playing very well before his injury,and he still played with it.orton dosent make to many mistakes,and is a proven leader in the huddle.so yes with a good set-up these two QB,s with the right cast around them,could do well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Grogan - you seem to be the one pats fan not brainwashed.  Saying anything negative about a positive former pat (mcdaniels) seems to be blasphemy. 

As noted on another thread, suddenly, Kyle Orton (who I happen to like) is the next coming of Tom Brady or Matt Cassell.  On this site, Kyle Orton could be Pee Wee Herman and mcdaniels would turn him into a QB wonder. Forgive me for turning a skeptical eye.  

Everyone here is looking at the negatives of Jay Cutler as if he possesses no postives while no one here seems to wonder why Kyle Orton could not hold the starting position his rookie year.  Maybe the 59 passer rating had something to do with it.  

If Orton was so promising, how come the bears kept bringing in other QB's in the following years. 
    Ultimately, I think fandom has taken over here, and I like Orton.  I actually think he will be effective, but in the words of the man who got your team to the promiseland first - lets not anoint him just yet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Underdogg
    Ask us about mangini
    Brady has a coach away from the team that help's him more than Josh ever did. I think Josh was to predicitable in play calling and did'nt adjust fast enough on more than one occasion.

Denver needs WR threat?
    Cutler is not elite. YES NOT / not clutch / he's a Gunslinger eg Favre, Romo
    Manning not at the Pro bowl?
    Jay = Pro Bowl so was Favre / Both tanked down the streach and Jay can't blame age
    The Bears D now is nowhere near what it was in the SB year.
    Rex a product of a good Def. Not that I can stand against it.Sounds like something we've heard trolls say about Brady

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Josh was only the OC for two seasons, but he was Brady's QB coach before that. IMO he deserves a lot of credit for Brady's development, and also for Cassel's. Let's not forget also that Denver has some top notch WRs, too. Not only Marshall and Royal (who are one of the best 1-2 WR combos in the league), but they also signed Gaffney. Jabar may not be another Moss, but he sure proved productive as the #3 in Foxboro. They've also signed a few guys on defense, namely Brian Dawkins who is a proven leader in the secondary. They signed three FA RBs, Arrington, Jordan, and Buckhalter. Plus they have 5 picks in the top 100 in two weeks. To say Cutler was the main reason for most of the Broncos wins is a stretch. IMO it's his gunslinger attitude which would be a problem with Josh. He made a lot of foolish mistakes, they would even have lost the first SD game had Hoculi not screwed up on that fumble. I'm not trying to say Cutler is a bust or he stinks. But he would have to play a lot differently with McD than he did under Shanahan. If they can get some help on defense in the draft (they're in good placement with #12 and #18), this team could be much improved in 09. whether or not this scenario is what Josh really wanted will forever be in question. But if he can get either Simms or Orton to play smart football he can succeed with the guys they have in place on offense. It may be a calculated risk, but Bowlen will give him some time to do his thing. The fans may be impatient, but if they start winning they will love McD in Denver. We'll see how the new front office handles the draft. But I wouldn't go predicting their doom just yet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Grogan - you seem to be the one pats fan not brainwashed.  Saying anything negative about a positive former pat (mcdaniels) seems to be blasphemy.  As noted on another thread, suddenly, Kyle Orton (who I happen to like) is the next coming of Tom Brady or Matt Cassell.  On this site, Kyle Orton could be Pee Wee Herman and mcdaniels would turn him into a QB wonder. Forgive me for turning a skeptical eye.   Everyone here is looking at the negatives of Jay Cutler as if he possesses no postives while no one here seems to wonder why Kyle Orton could not hold the starting position his rookie year.  Maybe the 59 passer rating had something to do with it.   If Orton was so promising, how come the bears kept bringing in other QB's in the following years.  Ultimately, I think fandom has taken over here, and I like Orton.  I actually think he will be effective, but in the words of the man who got your team to the promiseland first - lets not anoint him just yet.
    Posted by underdogg

To be clear, I'm not anti-Mcdaniels, but I just can't get over how any team would ever think about trading a 25 yr old pro bowl QB.  The Denver D couldn't stop some college teams let alone the Pro's.  I just don't see how this team on paper can beat anybody, while I agree the odds of them winning a few games are greater than none, it just not totally out of the question.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

To be clear, I'm not anti-Mcdaniels, but I just can't get over how any team would ever think about trading a 25 yr old pro bowl QB.  The Denver D couldn't stop some college teams let alone the Pro's.  I just don't see how this team on paper can beat anybody, while I agree the odds of them winning a few games are greater than none, it just not totally out of the question.
    Posted by Grogan77

Refresh my memory, folks...   there was no talk about trading Cutler for Cassel, right?  If that is true, why would Cutler have to be upset about the Broncos trying to improve the TEAM??  If anything, Cutler should have had the attitude that this is "My" team and I AM the starting QB.  Instead he pouted.  What does that say about his attitude....  TEAM or ME first? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Jay Cutler also lost a few games for Denver, like the one at KC where he threw two big picks within 90 seconds to blow the lead. Orton doesn't make many mistakes or throw many picks. You have to win the turnover battle and the mental battles before you can be successful, and Cutler wasn't good at either. Also, Denver was the 12th leading rushing team last year, and the second leading rushing team in average yards per carry. Not bad for a team with so many injuries (they had like seven different starting running backs). They need to improve their defense, and they have the draft picks to do so. I think they'll go 10-6 and win their division.
    Posted by Ritchie_az

Just to be sure we are referring to the same Kyle Orton - Whose TD/INT ratio is:

2005 - 9/13
    2007 - 3/2
    2008 - 18/12

Overall - 30/27

That is 27 picks in 33 games (15,0,3,15).

Just what exactly is is "too many picks" I guess.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Bill,

I missed your point.  There was talk about trading cutler for cassel, right?

I think cutler did have the attitude that the broncs were HIS team and his new coach wanted to rid the team of HIM.  Seems to me it makes perfect sense why he pouted and wanted out. 

Sorry if I missed your point. 

Beyond that  - and this is not up for arguement - the most glaring weakness of Denver was their defense.  If the team has a young probowl QB who is still young enough to be molded, then why not work on the D?  Why make your first market activity trading the brightest part of your team?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Posted by Grogan77

I agree. Cutler is better than people seem to think. When his defense wasn't giving up more than 3 TDs a game, the Broncos were 13-1, I believe. 

Didn't Greise and Grossman beat out Orton in 2006?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I agree. Cutler is better than people seem to think. When his defense wasn't giving up more than 3 TDs a game, the Broncos were 13-1, I believe.  Didn't Greise and Grossman beat out Orton in 2006?
    Posted by EnochRoot

it's not a good idea to use the attitudes of the Chicago Bears coaching staff to make value decisions on offensive players. they've clearly been struggling to figure out what to do for many years. it is clear, though, that the Bears were a much better team with Orton than with Greise or Grossman and that the Broncos were a better team in the Plummer years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I've got to agree with Bub on this one -- Cutler isn't chopped liver, by any means (although certain haters of all things Bellichick -- including his disciples -- appear to be giving him far more credit than he deserves). The knocks on Cutler are twofold: He's skittish under pressure and is far too freelance for McDaniels' taste. You can best believe that Cutler saw the writing on the wall -- Josh would more than likely want to reign him in and Jay didn't want any of that after being given plenty of rope under Shanahan. McDaniels, for his part, has an ego of his own and would probably love to prove that he can work his "magic" with anyone under center. Time will tell. The good news for Cutler is that he will soon be making regular acquaintance with one Jared Allen. I am very much looking foward to that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

This season is going to be a major test for both sides of the Denver-Chicago trade deal:

1/ For Jay Cutler - he has to prove that he can lead a football team under a vastly different set of conditions than he had in Denver (i.e. playing for an offensive-minded coach in Denver, now playing for a defense-first coach in Chicago).

2/ For Josh McDaniels - he has to prove that his performance in NE wasn't simply the product of having Tom Brady and one of the very best (if not the best) receiving corps in the NFL, by making Kyle Orton play beyond his limited skill set.

3/ For Kyle Horton - Has to prove that a/ he can win the starting job in training camp; and b/ his mediocre play was partly due to Lovie Smith's inconsistent offensive strategy with the Bears (hmm just like the problems his mentor Tony Dungy had in Tampa Bay).

4/ For Lovie Smith - Has to prove that he can make a serious run at winning the NFC North (at the very least) now that he has a "real" QB in the lineup; as well as showing how he can handle a prima donna player like Cutler.

We now have a new soap opera in the NFL: "As the Cutlet Turns"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Bill, I missed your point.  There was talk about trading cutler for cassel, right? I think cutler did have the attitude that the broncs were HIS team and his new coach wanted to rid the team of HIM.  Seems to me it makes perfect sense why he pouted and wanted out.  Sorry if I missed your point.  Beyond that  - and this is not up for arguement - the most glaring weakness of Denver was their defense.  If the team has a young probowl QB who is still young enough to be molded, then why not work on the D?  Why make your first market activity trading the brightest part of your team?
    Posted by underdogg

Underdogg.. that was my question... was the trade talk about cassel for cutler?  I did not know exactly.  Besides, I do not know why the Pats would even consider taking Cutler.  They didn't need QB help, per se.  Either way, given how Cutler reacted, I would not think BB would consider him "team" material, someone who could be a team leader.  From what I have read, it is Cutler who originally wanted a trade out of Denver and when they Broncos entertained the thought of one, he gets upset?!  Go figure. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Well it seems McDaniels has the backing of Denver's front office, however if he is to earn the backing of the Bronco's faithful he'll have to have a winning season at the very least or else the Cutler debacle will follow him for a long time

Sections
Shortcuts