Will McDaniels ever win a game as head coach?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Re: Will McDaniels ever win a game as head coach?

They never were going to trade Cassel for Cutler. Josh wanted Cassel (supposedly), and I believe the original inquiries came from Tampa and/or Detroit. Both those teams were interested in Cutler (not Cassel). So they proposed scenarios where Cassel would go to Denver, Cutler to TB or Detroit, and the Patriots would get picks, I suppose. Unless there were some players BB might want. I think the biggest issue was that NE was alreadyy stocked with more picks than they could use (still are). Those types of trades are very hard to pull off and take time and a lot of effort. BB wanted to dump the $14 million in cap so he dealt with Pioli. Either way, Bill is right, Cutler already hinted he wanted out when they fired Shanahan and the OC. Josh didn't "coddle" him, and he got upset. The NFL is a business, and McD plays it that way. And why would he not want to have a QB he brought up instead of one who, though productive stats wise, had really never led his team to at least a playoff berth? So IMO it's a case of be careful what you wish for. Cutler (whether seriously or just in anger) alluded he wanted a trade, so he should not have been offended when they listened to an offer for one. Underdogg likes to bash Josh for being associated with BB. But anyone who has ever held a job knows that any boss is not always up front with his employees. And head coaches who are too soft have a tough time winning in crunch time. Look at Wade Phillips and  Norv Turner for example. Both are excellent playcallers and strategists on their respective sides of the ball, but both fall short in the top job. Both McDaniels and Cutler did what they felt was best for them. This would be a minor issue if ESPN and NFLN didn't make such a big drama out of it, much like they did with Favre last year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I think McDaniels made out very very well in this deal.  And believe it or not I think it may hurt him in the long run. 

Lets suppose that McDaniels really did want cutler out, which I do believe very strongly.  He got what he wanted and was paid handsomely for it and as some are reporting got to hand pick the qb. 

If all of that success goes to his head,he may rule his team differently than if he was served a little humble pie. 

The team may not be ready to succeed immediately, because they lost their best player, their defense is still junk, and while they are loaded with draft picks, rookies can't run a team.  I really don't expect much from Denver this year and if Mcdaniels rules with the cocky youthfulness he demonstrates, his team could turn on him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Will the sun rise tomorrow?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

I'd like to see McD tie with KC for the division - only because The BB Way needs a break.  Romeo, Charlie and Man-fillintheblank have been busts when they went out on their own.  NE's style of play has not been able to reproduce itself elsewhere in the league.  So if Josh, Matt C, and SP can be successful, then the league will get better and BB will be that much more esteemed.  And talented players, like Peppers and Taylor, will be itching to get to New England just to play under "THE Franchise."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I think you will see pioli have success first, but not with cassel. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

The Broncos will be much better then people think, they will still have a weak D so I dont know if they win their Div but they wont be 0-16 thats for sure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I don't think anyone really believes they will loss all games, but will they match their 8-8 record?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think anyone really believes they will loss all games, but will they match their 8-8 record?
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

Without Cutler I just don't see it.  Even if they hit big time on both picks(12th and 18th) it's not enough to change things on that defense.  While Josh was so busy pissing off Cutler, maybe he should have been looking to improve his defense in the FA market.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

They did sign some defensive players in FA. The biggest name was Brian Dawkins. He may be over 30, but he is a leader in the secondary. They have the picks to make some noise, but they'll have to hit on them. I also think either Orton or Simms can succeed with the WRs they have. As long as they can keep a healthy RB (they signed 3 in FA) the offense should not go downhill. But they need things to work out on defense. Cutler put up great stats, but he didn't step up down the stretch. The west should be a much improved division this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]I know this post may sounds nuts, but looking at the Broncos of 2008 it was all about Jay Cutler.  They went 8-8 in a pretty weak division, because they had no defense and a weak running game.  Now that the Broncos have traded away their only reason for winning any games, could the Broncos go 0-16?  And if they do would the Broncos stay with McDaniels.  This scenario is not totally out of the question as I don't see the Broncos minus Culter as good as the Raiders or K.C. Thoughts?
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

Come on! Even the pathetic Fins managed to win one game. Besides Al davis still runs the Raiders and that has to account for 1 division win.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Hard not to agree that the AFC West should be a much improved division this year.

The beauty part for fans of those teams is, if they all blow equally (and it appears they might), that should make for a very competitive division. If I was any good at arithmetic (and not so lazy) I would try to figure out the worst possible record that could conceivably still mathematically win the division.

Come on now, tell the truth. You want to see a 4-12 team in the playoffs.

Yes you do.

Don't lie.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]they're going to win their division.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

(insert loud buzzer sound here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5A4AaURnWg

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]Come on! Even the pathetic Fins managed to win one game. Besides Al davis still runs the Raiders and that has to account for 1 division win.
    Posted by Evil2009[/QUOTE]

I agree it's a long shot, but the Detriot Lions proved that 0-16 can happen.  All I'm saying is the Broncos gave away their sole reason for winning most games.  As far as Cutler choking, maybe if he had a defense in Denver he wouldn't have been in those situations to throw picks.  Without looking at the stats, I feel pretty confident he was at the top of the league in pass attempts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE](insert loud buzzer sound here) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5A4AaURnWg
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Jbolt, this is one time where a team should just be crowned division champion before the season starts.  Even without Rivers or L.T., I could see the Chargers running away with the division.  K.C. has done nothing to improve a bad team(Cassel was good, but I still see him as a product of the system), Denver minus Cutler is probably good for last place, and the Raiders still have Al runnin the show.