Will Meriweather be back next year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Will Meriweather be back next year?

Or will BB trade him on draft day? I say he goes!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

Re: Will Meriweather be back next year?

I think there's a chance he gets traded, I do NOT think he is in the long term plans of the Pats, he is a good safety but has 2 pro bowls and will get a big contract from someone but not us.  He is a great hitter but average tackler, he doesn't always take the best angles, he hits his own players on a regular basis and is not a leader.  That said I still think he's a good hard hitting safety will natural talent who's got a good nose for the ball.  I also don't think the Pats want to franchise him next year and pay  the franchise $$ for one year and he'd probably hold out and cause problems and there's no way the pats are paying him top safety money, they might franchise and trade. 

The Question is do the Pats feel comfortable enough with who they have or will have come training camp and lose a good player in a contract year that they could possibly trade next year vs getting how much more value via a trade now and risk not being as good as a team this year.  We did go 14-2 last year and we have a good shot at the SB next year. 

I say wait to next year unless you get a GREAT offer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: Will Meriweather be back next year?:
    [QUOTE]I think there's a chance he gets traded, I do NOT think he is in the long term plans of the Pats, he is a good safety but has 2 pro bowls and will get a big contract from someone but not us.  He is a great hitter but average tackler, he doesn't always take the best angles, he hits his own players on a regular basis and is not a leader.  That said I still think he's a good hard hitting safety will natural talent who's got a good nose for the ball.  I also don't think the Pats want to franchise him next year and pay  the franchise $$ for one year and he'd probably hold out and cause problems and there's no way the pats are paying him top safety money, they might franchise and trade.  The Question is do the Pats feel comfortable enough with who they have or will have come training camp and lose a good player in a contract year that they could possibly trade next year vs getting how much more value via a trade now and risk not being as good as a team this year.  We did go 14-2 last year and we have a good shot at the SB next year.  I say wait to next year unless you get a GREAT offer.
    Posted by quinzpatsfan[/QUOTE]

Too many missed tackles and too many personal fouls.  I would not be surprised in the least bit if he was traded for a 3rd round pick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I don't think a 3rd round pick is an upgrade over BM. I like the guy I hope he stays. He has a few ints and he brings the wood. I think the whole team could tackle better then they have the last few years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

With this draft class being so weak at safety unl;ess Bill is totally in love with a prospect and the offer is amazing I doubt the Pats trade him and stick with him for another year. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]With this draft class being so weak at safety unl;ess Bill is totally in love with a prospect and the offer is amazing I doubt the Pats trade him and stick with him for another year. 
    Posted by Pancakespwn[/QUOTE]

Good point....And not sure if Chung is ready yet to step up into a starting role yet.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

he's cheap. we hope to make a SB run and it would be nice to have stability at the position.  we probably wouldn't get that much for him in return.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

Hell No!, his presence was poison to many of his teammates- not listening to,and ignoring coaches instructions, and incouraging teammates, especially younger ones, (especially Wilhite and Chung) to do as well. But Meri, being a #1 draft choice, BB( all NFL coaches) are very reluctant to trade #1's- the only reason he was here for 2010, and not gotten rid of after a poor 2009 season. This should be a good lesson for BB- IMO- especially safetys, should be above average, intelligent-- they, at least one of, stong and/or free, because they(he) is the leader of the D backfield, calling for whatever strategy, formation, coverages, etc., called for by  the coaching staff, on each play. That most certainly was  not Meriweather. Get what ever you can, just as long as he's gone.  Good riddence--------------  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Does anyone have an opinion from BB about Merriweather?  Seems a lot of folks here are acting like a coach and GM with no "inside" knowledge other than their own fan feelings.  what makes you even think the Pats are even remotely thinking about trading Brandon?  Making a hunch and crossing your fingers you are right?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with Rocky. " Too many missed tackles and too many personal fouls." I have a feeling that we are not going to see him next season (assuming there is a season). BB is known to trade away "good" player who no longer fits the system. I think Jarrad Page is solid, depth is what they might have to worry about. Losing Meriweather is not a big deal, but losing Pat Chung is. Their run defense fail apart when Chung was out.
    Posted by PiBoy[/QUOTE]
    See who would we get to replace him, as much as some people dislike him were not gonna upgrade froma pro bowl guy. DONT say sanders whose bad or some random guy liek barret who everyone loves idk y.Hes cheap and pretty good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Hell No!, his presence was poison to many of his teammates- not listening to,and ignoring coaches instructions, and incouraging teammates, especially younger ones, (especially Wilhite and Chung) to do as well. But Meri, being a #1 draft choice, BB( all NFL coaches) are very reluctant to trade #1's- the only reason he was here for 2010, and not gotten rid of after a poor 2009 season. This should be a good lesson for BB- IMO- especially safetys, should be above average, intelligent-- they, at least one of, stong and/or free, because they(he) is the leader of the D backfield, calling for whatever strategy, formation, coverages, etc., called for by  the coaching staff, on each play. That most certainly was  not Meriweather. Get what ever you can, just as long as he's gone.  Good riddence--------------  
    Posted by jjaycee[/QUOTE]

you're right on it jjyacee,
    " Get what ever you can, just as long as he's gone."

however i think we can use him to go up and get the studs we need in this draft to take our 1 and done team to the super bowl. (and i said all this after the the jets loss).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

So when Merriweather is traded who do we hate on next?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

safety draft class is not good this year. if the Pats want him then will have to renegotiate his contract this year, otherwise he will be too expensive next year and please do not franchise the him.

Not sure with Page if they will bring back McGowan and then try to trade Meriweather, but you enver know.

He his escalators in 2010 and will make $1m more in 2011.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFanInFlorida. Show BostonFanInFlorida's posts

I don't believe that BM is in the long term plan. He isn't a smart player and BB loves smart players. I also thnk that he is the most marketable now. If we could get a 2nd (even next year) or a 3rd and 5th, I would certainly let him go. we have a nice group of safeties some in development and I believe we can afford to let him go.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'm not sending him down the river yet. He's taken some questionable routes and publically admitted to not listening to what he was coached, to but until they get something of a pass rush I think it would be crazy to let him go.
    He's had to play 15-20 yds downfield to make up for the 4+ seconds we give QB's to make their reads. Tighten that up and I think you'll see a more aggressive BM coming after QB's and jumping routes like Rodney and Lawyer. If not for a pick or sack to at least blow someone up.

If that doesn't work I already think they have his replacement with Chung. He needs one more year and then he'll be ready.

+1

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

[QUOTE]I heard they have a work out for Cortez Allen, who played CB and S at college. Of course, it can be smoke screen, and it is nothing. I don't have a strong perference over Meriweather.
    Posted by PiBoy[/QUOTE]

The Pats work out almost every prospect in the draft just so they can get an accurcate description on the player.

2-3 weeks before the draft are the workouts we should all be paying attention to. Like when the Pats brought in a couple players years ago of the likes of Rivers, Mayo, and Chris Long. Last year it was Zoltan, Dexter, and Damian Williams they had huge visits with and we drafted one of them.

It does let us know they are interested in adding another safety. Meriweather will likley want a big time deal and Mayo's contract is coming up fast. Draft a replacement who doesn't have an IQ of 20, let him sit a year, and hope Meriweather can play like an actual pro bowler and shore up the backside of the defense or else we could be seeing Sanders back there again. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Meriweather will be here long term if the price is right.  If not, maybe they contemplate moving him instead of letting him walk.  His glaring errors aside, and there have been some, he is a better player than some of you think he is. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skorpion76. Show skorpion76's posts

Can't trade anyone if there is no new CBA...just sayn

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

What's with all the Meriweather bashing?  Last time I checked he's a pretty good player and with all the holes on our D we suddenly want to create another one?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Yup, he was so good last year didn't they bench him for a game?