WILL OCHO RESTRUCTURE HIS DEAL AS BB WANTS? IF HE DOES, SHOULD HE GET PT OVER BRANCH?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CAPITALIST_AVENGER. Show CAPITALIST_AVENGER's posts

WILL OCHO RESTRUCTURE HIS DEAL AS BB WANTS? IF HE DOES, SHOULD HE GET PT OVER BRANCH?

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21181091/report-ocho-asked-restructure-contract

bb wants ocho to re-structure his deal, perhaps take a million daollar less in base but get more incentives, or take a cut in 2012, if he performs then he gets it back for 2013. seriously, i assumed this was a 2 year deal when he signed last year. this is malfeasance on bb's part to have given a guy with ZERO experience in his syestem a 3 year guaranteed deal... just dumb! now i say forget about a brandon lloyd, they almost have to make it work with ocho. what could you trade him for? just dumb! i say bring him back and give him a real shot of playing over branch. perhaps pats will go back to the moss offense as their base with sprikles of the newer gronk one. if you were ocho what guarantees would you want football-wise?  i mean the guy can still play and doesnt seem to have mossed his talents. its just about playbook and getting on the same page with tommy. what would you recommmend if you were his agent?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: WILL OCHO RESTRUCTURE HIS DEAL AS BB WANTS?

I hope this lets everyone know that obviously Chad did Something right. If it was all on him and not knowing the playbook, why bring him back. Why not just cut him and start over??

Because Bill sees the film. He saw a guy who could get open but just not on page with Brady. The thing is though Brady can only throw to his on the field.

Its obvious O'bie is an old school guy and didnt like Ocho. He tried as much as possible to get Underwood in the game and even yelled at Brady to defend him and never did such a thing for Ocho.

Good news is O'bie is gone, and Josh is a younger guy who can work with Ocho and get on him on the same page and if not, why is B.B. asking him to stay at a lower price??

He is basically asking to restructure to get the money he lost last year by only getting 15 catches.

Ocho will have an impact next year IF they want him too. He was a good soldier and didnt cry like Moss when he wasnt involved. He even had a catch in the SB when his # was called, which sadly was only once.

Good Riddance to O'bie and I dont really love Joshy either, but he is smarter and less stubborn than O'bie. The lesser of 2 evils if you will....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

BB:  
    Chad Did your read what i gave during the offseason ? 

Ocho : 
    yes coach  
    Just Now finished reading : The Little Engine That Could. 
    I am Ready For the "PlayBook " 

BB:  
    Tom Did you buy that "playbook" from amazon ?  
    http://www.amazon.com/Catch-That-Christopher-Sports-Classics/dp/0316139246 

TB : 
    yes coach  
    i hope he can really learn it by heart

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Can't this also be a ploy to make the guy restructure and then simply wait to cut him - thus saving even more money on the cap? I can't imagine O'Brien or anyone else deliberately wanting this guy to fail, I think he did that all by himself and I can't imagine he will get faster at 34...compared to 33. Let's say he learns another few percent of the playbook...what difference does that make if he's slower?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Mthurl, what did you see exactly that makes you thnk Ocho is slow?

Also how do we know he didnt know the playbook.

I saw a guy who came in when asked to, caught a first down and then was told to sit down.

It was more to do with our personell, being a 2 TE team and Brady wanted Branch out there than anything else.

Would you say Branch has more left than Ocho or has more speed??? I hope you wouldnt cuz you would be wrong.

I have been up and down on the guy and I said from jump it was a bad fit as he was an attention seeker who tweeted too much, but since it was ok with Bill and Wes is now a bigger tweeter, I didnt see a problem. I never felt watching him that he looked washed up. Maybe a bit lost after playing in the same system for years and then going to a complex one sure

Hey, how many offenses has Brady had to learn??  ONE!  He is one of a few qb's who can say that in HISTORY. Lets cut Ocho a little slack and put everything in perspective. Like his snap count, YPC, no offseason, IN O'bie's doghouse, etc

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

keep Ocho....he didn't even have a full offseason last year........so sick of people wanting to turn this team over..........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: WILL OCHO RESTRUCTURE HIS DEAL AS BB WANTS?:
    [QUOTE]Mthurl, what did you see exactly that makes you thnk Ocho is slow? Also how do we know he didnt know the playbook. I saw a guy who came in when asked to, caught a first down and then was told to sit down. It was more to do with our personell, being a 2 TE team and Brady wanted Branch out there than anything else. Would you say Branch has more left than Ocho or has more speed??? I hope you wouldnt cuz you would be wrong. I have been up and down on the guy and I said from jump it was a bad fit as he was an attention seeker who tweeted too much, but since it was ok with Bill and Wes is now a bigger tweeter, I didnt see a problem. I never felt watching him that he looked washed up. Maybe a bit lost after playing in the same system for years and then going to a complex one sure Hey, how many offenses has Brady had to learn??  ONE!  He is one of a few qb's who can say that in HISTORY. Lets cut Ocho a little slack and put everything in perspective. Like his snap count, YPC, no offseason, IN O'bie's doghouse, etc
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

I didn't say he was slow, I said he would be slower at 34 than 33. History would tell us that a person slows as he ages, in fact there may not be a single case in the history of man kind where a person got faster after he hit 33 years old.

Do I think he's slow? I'm not really sure (he wasn't out there enough to really tell). Before he stepped on the field the raging debate was weather this guy would be able to help us deep, because of his age etc. I did see him get open deep against single coverage 3 times this year. I do think he probably can give you more athletically than Branch based off what I saw from Branch (a guy that doesn't have the legs to do this anymore...because of his age).

I think you have to factor in a couple of things...one his age, two his inability to get on the field after roughly 150 practices, four preseason games, sixteen regular season games and three playoff games. I also think you have to take into account that Bill Belichick would never allow a player that could help the team sit during games when he's paying him 6 million and he historically has a fondness for him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CAPITALIST_AVENGER. Show CAPITALIST_AVENGER's posts

my thing is if you bring back ocho do not re-sign BRANCH! let ocho be out there in the 4-receiver base with him and welk as the 2-WRs.. period! underwood and an edelman can be the backups at receiver along with slater. whats the point of having an ocho just rot on the bemch or have him come in for 10 plays or so.. i agree with the first poster, no way has ocho lost any speed nor that he was that ignorant of the playbook. the guy just needed reps but there were NONE to be had.. period! if u re-sign branch it has to be with the understanding that ocho will be given every opportunity to be the second receiver and branch will only get reps in case of injury and will be the ocho of last year!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

So why bring him back?

Joey Galloway looked every bit of fast at age 35 did he did when he was 25.

Same for David Patten.

Not to say thats Chad, but just to point out you can age without getting slower.

Some guys just have that speed. iF you are a fast guy, you are a fast guy. Once u start losing speed it it because your legs are shot. Ocho wasnt even used last year, what wear n tear did he put on his legs?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: WILL OCHO RESTRUCTURE HIS DEAL AS BB WANTS? IF HE DOES, WOULD YOU BRING BACK BRANCH AS THE #2 wR?

keep ocho at lower $, resign branch and see how he does in camp, sign lloyd, draft rookie WR, bring in moss for camp.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatthefaulk. Show whatthefaulk's posts

Re: WILL OCHO RESTRUCTURE HIS DEAL AS BB WANTS? IF HE DOES, WOULD YOU BRING BACK BRANCH AS THE #2 wR?

2 years ago TO came into Cincinnati and took over the number 1 WR spot (look at the numbers). Chad had been there his entire carrier and was reduced to the 2nd spot. I would personally want Branch over Chad. That's unlikely to happen due to the money chad is owed. At least brady had the confidence in branch to throw to him. having Chad on the field is a waste IMO. 15 grabs in 16 games. idc how limited his off season was with the pats. i want production. The pats put themselves in a tight situation with a 3 years and guarenteed money.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

WT F, this is correct, I pointed this out numerous times last year that Chad only averaged 4 catches a game and was not as productive as T.O.

This is due to T.O's work ethic and ability to be where he is supposed to be.
    The thing is too much expectation was put on Ocho. People were expecting a 60-70 catch season and I think thats a stretch, but its very clear they could have gotten more than 15 catched from him had they wanted too.

IDK if it was lack of trust w/Brady, out of favor with O'bie, but my only point is there must be something else there or why not just cut him last year.

B.B. has seen this guy close up, why pay him that based on what he knew and what we know??/  Ability.

Branch only played over Ocho because of his comfort level and familiarity but he is more washed up than Ocho.

If you want a guy who can get first down, get downfield on post routes ,etc you have a player but the Pats system didnt really fit and you cant produce on the bench, so why bring back Branch when we saw him for a year already and it was unimpressive to me.

Give Chad the same snaps you gave that Bum Tate 2 years ago and Im sure you get atleast 40 balls.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

You don't cut him last year because you're trying to manage your cap.  The Pats could save about $3M against the cap by cutting him right now under his current deal, if he accepts a reworked deal at less money, maybe cut his base salary in half from $3M to $1.5M (in addition to his $1.5M roster bonus), then I'm on board with keeping him around.  $1.5M net (for cap purposes) for Chad isn't bad.

Chad has the 5th largest cap hit on the Pats going into 2012 at $6.2M, with $3.2M in signing bonus remaining over the next 2 years ($1.6M per year as it pertains to the cap).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: WILL OCHO RESTRUCTURE HIS DEAL AS BB WANTS? IF HE DOES, WOULD YOU BRING BACK BRANCH AS THE #2 wR?:
    [QUOTE]2 years ago TO came into Cincinnati and took over the number 1 WR spot (look at the numbers). Chad had been there his entire carrier and was reduced to the 2nd spot. I would personally want Branch over Chad. That's unlikely to happen due to the money chad is owed. At least brady had the confidence in branch to throw to him. having Chad on the field is a waste IMO. 15 grabs in 16 games. idc how limited his off season was with the pats. i want production. The pats put themselves in a tight situation with a 3 years and guarenteed money.
    Posted by watthefaulk[/QUOTE]

T.O also has the 2nd most tds in NFL history. Losing your #1 spot to T.O isn't really much of a knock an a guy.

And Brady had confidence in Branch despite Branch being swallowed up in single coverage all year. Catching 51% of your 90 targets isn't really good especially given the all important "chemistry" he has with #12.

I would have rather given Chad 75% of snaps instead of Branch. Then we would really be able to give him a pass or fail for the season. 18.4 ypc for Chad ain't bad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: WILL OCHO RESTRUCTURE HIS DEAL AS BB WANTS? IF HE DOES, WOULD YOU BRING BACK BRANCH AS THE #2 wR?:
    [QUOTE]WT F, this is correct, I pointed this out numerous times last year that Chad only averaged 4 catches a game and was not as productive as T.O. This is due to T.O's work ethic and ability to be where he is supposed to be. The thing is too much expectation was put on Ocho. People were expecting a 60-70 catch season and I think thats a stretch, but its very clear they could have gotten more than 15 catched from him had they wanted too. IDK if it was lack of trust w/Brady, out of favor with O'bie, but my only point is there must be something else there or why not just cut him last year. B.B. has seen this guy close up, why pay him that based on what he knew and what we know??/  Ability. Branch only played over Ocho because of his comfort level and familiarity but he is more washed up than Ocho. If you want a guy who can get first down, get downfield on post routes ,etc you have a player but the Pats system didnt really fit and you cant produce on the bench, so why bring back Branch when we saw him for a year already and it was unimpressive to me. Give Chad the same snaps you gave that Bum Tate 2 years ago and Im sure you get atleast 40 balls.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

I usually agree with most of the stuff you say, but not on this one. You just said it yourself that TO came in and started because of work ethic and had a better year than Ocho. And then you say we shouldn't expect the same out of Ocho (60-70 catches)...why shouldn't we expect a guy making 6 million a year to get 60-70 catches? Why would it be asking too much to expect a guy to work like TO to get on the field and produce?

And if we're going to just give him the same opportunities that Brandon Tate had....are we really to be impressed if he catches 40 balls? For Christ's sake most third round receivers can give you 40 catches in today's pass happy NFL. As for guys like Galloway having speed when they were 35 or older, keep in mind Galloway was a guy that could run a 4.3 when he was young, Ocho wasn't. And if you're going to say Ocho's legs should be fresh because he hasn't played - well what will happen if does in fact play? Legs wear out very quickly when you are older...some days they're there, some days they're not. 

Hay maybe he stays and catches 80 balls next year, but I find it hard to believe a guy that was at 150 practices and 23 games (and didn't improve an ounce) will magically produce.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WILL OCHO RESTRUCTURE HIS DEAL AS BB WANTS? IF HE DOES, WOULD YOU BRING BACK BRANCH AS THE #2 wR? : I usually agree with most of the stuff you say, but not on this one. You just said it yourself that TO came in and started because of work ethic and had a better year than Ocho. And then you say we shouldn't expect the same out of Ocho (60-70 catches)...why shouldn't we expect a guy making 6 million a year to get 60-70 catches? Why would it be asking too much to expect a guy to work like TO to get on the field and produce? And if we're going to just give him the same opportunities that Brandon Tate had....are we really to be impressed if he catches 40 balls? For Christ's sake most third round receivers can give you 40 catches in today's pass happy NFL. As for guys like Galloway having speed when they were 35 or older, keep in mind Galloway was a guy that could run a 4.3 when he was young, Ocho wasn't. And if you're going to say Ocho's legs should be fresh because he hasn't played - well what will happen if does in fact play? Legs wear out very quickly when you are older...some days they're there, some days they're not.  Hay maybe he stays and catches 80 balls next year, but I find it hard to believe a guy that was at 150 practices and 23 games (and didn't improve an ounce) will magically produce.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

So you expected Ocho to catch 80 or even 40 balls when he was behind 4 guys who caught 340 balls for over 4,300 yards and 38 tds?

Did you expect Brady to throw 6,000 yards and 48 tds? To say Ocho was a failure when he only played 25% of the snaps just isn't fair in my opinion. If we pay a guy 3 million dollars perhaps we should show a "commitment" to finding out whether or not he can still play. Also 18.4 yards per reception is pretty good in limited work. He may have been the deep threat fans are clamoring for.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WILL OCHO RESTRUCTURE HIS DEAL AS BB WANTS? IF HE DOES, WOULD YOU BRING BACK BRANCH AS THE #2 wR? : So you expected Ocho to catch 80 or even 40 balls when he was behind 4 guys who caught 340 balls for over 4,300 yards and 38 tds? Did you expect Brady to throw 6,000 yards and 48 tds? To say Ocho was a failure when he only played 25% of the snaps just isn't fair in my opinion. If we pay a guy 3 million dollars perhaps we should show a "commitment" to finding out whether or not he can still play. Also 18.4 yards per reception is pretty good in limited work. He may have been the deep threat fans are clamoring for.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

No, but I would expect him to beat out the immortal Deon Branch or Underwood...hell at 6 million for the season he was the highest paid offensive weapon we ever had...he should of beat out someone.

We should show a "commitment" to see if the guy can still play? What exactly are you saying? Are you insinuating that Bill Belichick didn't give the guy a chance? I'm willing to bet that after 150 practices and 20 games he was in fact given just at least a slight chance. I could be wrong and really I hope I am, because then we wouldn't have to spend more money and picks on an outside threat.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WILL OCHO RESTRUCTURE HIS DEAL AS BB WANTS? IF HE DOES, WOULD YOU BRING BACK BRANCH AS THE #2 wR? : So you expected Ocho to catch 80 or even 40 balls when he was behind 4 guys who caught 340 balls for over 4,300 yards and 38 tds? Did you expect Brady to throw 6,000 yards and 48 tds? To say Ocho was a failure when he only played 25% of the snaps just isn't fair in my opinion. If we pay a guy 3 million dollars perhaps we should show a "commitment" to finding out whether or not he can still play. Also 18.4 yards per reception is pretty good in limited work. He may have been the deep threat fans are clamoring for.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

You are never ever ever ever right.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

What is the question here? Ocho STINKS. The plan is a salvage plan. Salvage as much precious cap space as possible after this colossal blunder of a signing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WILL OCHO RESTRUCTURE HIS DEAL AS BB WANTS? IF HE DOES, WOULD YOU BRING BACK BRANCH AS THE #2 wR? : No, but I would expect him to beat out the immortal Deon Branch or Underwood...hell at 6 million for the season he was the highest paid offensive weapon we ever had...he should of beat out someone. We should show a "commitment" to see if the guy can still play? What exactly are you saying? Are you insinuating that Bill Belichick didn't give the guy a chance? I'm willing to bet that after 150 practices and 20 games he was in fact given just at least a slight chance. I could be wrong and really I hope I am, because then we wouldn't have to spend more money and picks on an outside threat.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Only here could you find persons lamebrain enough to argue Ocho is even a possibility. I just can't imagine how the guy could have been more of a disappointment. Maybe running the wrong route, crashing into Gronk and taking out his knee would have been worse. So there is a bright side. He didn't hurt any of his own guys.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Ocho stayed around because either:

1. BB realized he wasn't going to find anyone any better than Underwood to replace Ocho once the season began, or

2. BB has some reason to believe that, with time, Ocho may be able to contribute more than he has so far.

If 1 is the case, Ocho will be gone.  If 2 is the case, Ocho may be back if they can work out a favourable financial arrangement. 

I'm somewhere in-between Champ and Babe on this one.  I can't agree with Champ's statement that "I would have rather given Chad 75% of snaps instead of Branch," (Branch earned his snaps, I think) but I also trust that if BB brings Ocho back it's because there is some potential there.  Ocho did make a few very nice catches (in-between running the wrong routes).  If he learns the offense, I do think there are still physcial skills there that could help the club, at least as a fourth or fifth option. 

Still, as with the Moss thread, I think we need to look elsewhere for wideouts one to three.  Welker may be one of those top three, Branch and/or Ocho could be four and/or five.  But the other two of the top three have to come from somewhere else--either a decent free agent or two or a promising draft pick. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

Lloyd signs as FA and becomes #1 target
    Opens up Welker to gets his catches
    Ocho learns the system and gets TBs trust after a year and becomes dangerous and effective #3.

No need to draft a WR in first two rounds. Focus on SS, DE/OLB, OL, CB 
    Branch goes in free agency

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WILL OCHO RESTRUCTURE HIS DEAL AS BB WANTS? IF HE DOES, WOULD YOU BRING BACK BRANCH AS THE #2 wR? : No, but I would expect him to beat out the immortal Deon Branch or Underwood...hell at 6 million for the season he was the highest paid offensive weapon we ever had...he should of beat out someone. We should show a "commitment" to see if the guy can still play? What exactly are you saying? Are you insinuating that Bill Belichick didn't give the guy a chance? I'm willing to bet that after 150 practices and 20 games he was in fact given just at least a slight chance. I could be wrong and really I hope I am, because then we wouldn't have to spend more money and picks on an outside threat.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Absolutely we should show a commitment, we payed the guy a lot of money and at the 1st signs of adversity just benched him for entire halves? He had trouble with Brady early on but for the last half of the season we brought him in to make a 20 yard catch wide open for a 1st down and didn't play him again. That doesn't make sense.

I am willing to bet that most Patriot fans recognized Chad still looked like our fastest and longest wr on the field. He still gets open in single coverage and should be a quality player for us if he stays.

It looked like our offense was intent on using the same players for most of the season. This is another knock against an offense which is very one dimensional despite being one of the best in the league. We were more comfortable using Branch with Brady because of the all important "chemistry" issues that have plagued our receivers for the past few years.

When 4 guys catch 38 of your 39 td passes then they were primarily the guys on the field to begin with. Our number 5 option was Chad at 25% of the snaps, also receiving the only other td.

When you only get to play 1 qtr out of 4qtrs, you are not getting a chance to prove what you can do. If you disagree with that then I don't know what to say?

I guess diversity in our offense just wasn't part of Obrien's game plan this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Ocho stayed around because either: 1. BB realized he wasn't going to find anyone any better than Underwood to replace Ocho once the season began, or 2. BB has some reason to believe that, with time, Ocho may be able to contribute more than he has so far. If 1 is the case, Ocho will be gone.  If 2 is the case, Ocho may be back if they can work out a favourable financial arrangement.  I'm somewhere in-between Champ and Babe on this one.  I can't agree with Champ's statement that " I would have rather given Chad 75% of snaps instead of Branch," (Branch earned his snaps, I think) but I also trust that if BB brings Ocho back it's because there is some potential there.  Ocho did make a few very nice catches (in-between running the wrong routes).  If he learns the offense, I do think there are still physcial skills there that could help the club, at least as a fourth or fifth option.  Still, as with the Moss thread, I think we need to look elsewhere for wideouts one to three.  Welker may be one of those top three, Branch and/or Ocho could be four and/or five.  But the other two of the top three have to come from somewhere else--either a decent free agent or two or a promising draft pick. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

before we signed Ocho I questioned the move only in the aspect that he and Branch play the same position, meaning they would have to steal playing time. Well I think we have shown over the past 6-7 years that we don't have a ton of patience with receivers. Our rack record speaks for itself.

I thought we would use Branch a lot the 1st 6 games or so and as Ocho developed with Brady he would steal Branch's PT. After seeing Ocho run 20 yard routes and get open often in limited time I really expected to see the switch. Instead we stayed with Branch who was really awful the last half of the season and only caught 51% of his 90 targets. I think we shot ourselves in the foot by giving up on Ocho and not being able to use a 5th option in the playoffs.

You cannot succeed without an opportunity imo.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

If Chad dropped the ball in the Superbowl that Branch did, he'd be up on the cross as we speak. Branch gets a free ride on that one I guess. TO got more balls in Cincy cause of Palmer, not work ethic. Chad has always been a hard worker. The balls he caught in Cincy when TO was there he laid out for and got over the middle. Sure he should restructure but he's not washed up IMHO.

Sections
Shortcuts