Will Parcells ever get into Pats HOF???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Will Parcells ever get into Pats HOF???

The Exaggerated Myth of Bill Parcells in New England

AUGUST 14, 2013 BY BRUCE ALLEN

Let me begin this post by saying that I LOVED having Bill Parcells as coach of the New England Patriots, and wished he had stayed on. When he was hired by the Patriots, I was ecstatic, having found myself rooting for the Giants during several 1980′s postseasons – mostly because of Parcells and LT.

To that point, Chuck Fairbanks had been the best coach in franchise history, and to get another top coach into a franchise that was struggling with possible relocation at the time was a major coup.

There is no denying that Parcells, along with Robert Kraft and yes, Drew Bledsoe, led a major turnaround in the situation here in New England. When Parcells left, I was thoroughly dismayed.

The circumstances under which Parcells left New England has been documented ad nauseum, and really should’ve created much more acrimony towards the coach than it really did. He was negotiating with a division rival during Super Bowl week in which the Patriots were participating. It was betrayal of outrageous proportions, no matter what the personal situation between he and Bob Kraft was at the time.

Yet, the undeniable charisma of Parcells (along with the Patriots steady decline under Pete Carroll) led some to keep their loyalties to Parcells, and to pardon him for his actions. Particularly in the media was this case, with Parcells toadies breathlessly praising him at every opportunity.

After the Pete Carroll era flamed out, longtime Parcells assistant Bill Belichick was hired – under perhaps just as big a cloud of controversy as Parcells’ departure from New England – and after a season of adjustment, proceeded to win three Super Bowls in four seasons.

Belichick possesses none of  the innate charisma of Parcells. This has turned off many in the media, and some of the fan base as well, who wistfully pine for the entertaining press conferences of Parcells. To these, Parcells is the ultimate football guy, and no one can compare.

The people still exist, and attempt to give credit for the Super Bowl victories to Parcells, claiming that those titles were won with “his” players.

A caller to Felger and Mazz at the start of yesterday’s show was one of these people, claiming forcefully that “70% of the defense on those Super Bowl titles were Parcells’ draft picks and players.” The hosts, naturally did not disagree, though Felger tempered it somewhat by saying that by the ’04 team, “it was more 50/50 Parcells and Belichick guys.”

Complete Myth.

Let’s take a look. Now remember, the caller and host was only talking about defense here. First of all, five* Parcells draft picks on defense ever won a Super Bowl with the Patriots.

1994 Willie McGinest (3 titles)

1995 Ty Law (3 titles, though injured for 2004 postseason)

1995 Ted Johnson (3 titles)

1996 Lawyer Milloy (1 title, gone after 2002 season)

1996 Teddy Bruschi (3 titles)

*Marty Moore was a 1994 Parcells pick (Mr Irrelevant) played 3 games with 2001 Patriots, assisting on two tackles.

Granted, those are five outstanding players in Patriots history. You might eventually see all five in the Patriots’ Hall of Fame. You could call those guys the core of your defense.

What about the rest of the squad though? What guys on defense had played for Parcells previously?

Bryan Cox – played two seasons under Parcells with the Jets. Played 11 games for 2001 Patriots. (1 title)

Roman Phifer – played one season under Parcells with Jets. Played four seasons under Belichick with Patriots. (3 titles)

Otis Smith – played four seasons under Parcells, with NE and Jets. Three seasons with Belichick with Patriots. (1 title)

Bobby Hamilton – played three seasons under Parcells with Jets, four seasons with Belichick with Patriots. (2 titles)

Anthony Pleasant – played five seasons under Belichick in Cleveland, two with Parcells with Jets and three with Belichick with Patriots (2 titles)

Phifer

Hamilton

Pleasant

Rick Lyle – played three seasons under Parcells with Jets, two with Belichick with Patriots. (8 games in 2003)

Phifer

That’s it.

Am I seeing 70% of the defense? Am I even seeing 50/50?

Furthermore, those five core guys are the only players drafted by Bill Parcells to win a Super Bowl with the Patriots, period. He didn’t draft any of the other guys who played for both him and Belichick.

Furthermore, what did Parcells say in his farewell press conference with New England? A complaint about not being able to “shop for the groceries?” Indicating that he didn’t have control over the draft picks and personnel? So are the “Parcells guys” listed above, really “Parcells guys?”

Remember, the 1996 draft was the one that yielded Milloy and Bruschi, but that was also the one that triggered the whole exodus of Parcells from New England because he was overruled in the draft when the Patriots selected Terry Glenn in the first round.

Check this quote from Charley Armey in a Michael Madden column from 2000:

Parcells, said Armey, “didn’t make any selections at all” after the infamous Terry Glenn episode on draft day in 1996. And, by then, Armey had been relegated to being “like any other scout. I wasn’t running the draft.”

In that column, Armey also states that Parcells never had full authority over the draft to begin with:

See, people think Bill had the final authority to make the picks with the Patriots but that was never in his contract. Not when I was there, and I left after he did.

The whole argument of Parcells being the architect of those Super Bowl champions is just not true.

Like I said in the opener, I loved having Bill Parcells coach the New England Patriots, but lets ease up on the legend that he “built” the defenses that won three Super Bowls here in New England. If you want to attack Belichick for not being able to build a championship defense since 2004, that’s one thing, but to give all the credit to Parcells for the three wins, or even claiming that 70% or 50% were “Parcells guys” is preposterous.

"Defense Wins Championships"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Will Parcells ever get into Pats HOF???

For the record, I think he should get in, but not before guys like Law, Willie Mac, Milloy, Faulk and Rodney do. Those guys actually won us Super Bowls while Parcells in his only chance to bring a Lombardi to N.E was preoccupied negotiating with the Jets.

Is it draft day?

[object HTMLDivElement]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For the record, I think he should get in, but not before guys like Law, Willie Mac, Milloy, Faulk and Rodney do. Those guys actually won us Super Bowls while Parcells in his only chance to bring a Lombardi to N.E was preoccupied negotiating with the Jets.

RESPONSE: Parcells turned the Patriots' franchise around...and instilled a winning attitude. If it weren't for him, the Pats would not have gotten BB (Parcells traded BB to the Pats). The guy deserves to be enshrined, and his contributions to the Patriots franchise are much greater than he is given credit for.  

Is it draft day?

RESPONSE: Another gift to the fans from our ever caring Commissioner...LOL!!!

[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Is Fairbanks in it?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Team HOFs are watered down across all sports.    About the only team that gets it right is the hated Yankees with their monuments to Gehrig, Ruth, Mantle, and DiMaggio.  But even then they give plaques to mere mortals.

As for Parcells, it's getting close to 20 years now since he left.   Time heals wounds.  Both he and Kraft admit they could have handled things a lot better.

I'd vote him in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Parcells turned the Patriots' franchise around...and instilled a winning attitude. If it weren't for him, the Pats would not have gotten BB (Parcells traded BB to the Pats). The guy deserves to be enshrined, and his contributions to the Patriots franchise are much greater than he is given credit for.  

Is it draft day?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]I agree but would you put Parcells over the plYers I listed?

And let's not pretend it was Parcells idea to trade BB to the Pats. BB quit and joined the Pats and the Jets were awarded a 1st rd pick for it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Will Parcells and or does Parcells deserve induction into the Pats HOF?  Not This year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Yes, he will and he should.....he helped create the modern Pats into a dynamic and winning franchise that earned the respect of other franchises...he will always be part of this team's foundation for success.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Parcells helped save the Patriots Franchise.  For that, he will always have my gratitude.  

I get a kick out of the comparisons of handling of the media between Parcells and Belichick.   BB might not say anything that excites the media and puts them to sleep but Parcells had a way of intimidating the media that has no peer.  If a reporter asked a stupid question of BP he would tear that reporter a new hole. 

As far as the Patriots Hall of Fame goes, I think BP should eventually get there.  However, there are many people that come before him.  Even though many years have passed since he left, the Curtis Martin deal still festers.  Also, I don't know who told the press about him leaving but they couldn't keep it under wraps until after the SB?  Fairbanks did the same thing with the Colorado deal just before a Playoff Game.    I understand these things are just business.  But actions like these come with a price and further delay is probably going to happen. 

Besides, I'm not so sure that BP actually cares that much anyway. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lioneljoe. Show lioneljoe's posts

I hope BP never gets in. The fact he was in negotiations with a hated rival instead of preparing his team for the Super Bowl speaks volumes about his arrogance and selfishness. It totally negates any good he did before that. If he does get in, I will certainly boo him during his half time speech during the home opener and I am sure I will not be alone. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

[QUOTE]

^^^^ This all day long!!!!

Is it draft day?

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

This is for people who say no to parcells in HOF ,think like this if Parcells never comes to the Pats and brings BB with him and inteoduced Kraft to Bb maybe Bb never comes here .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is Fairbanks in it?

[/QUOTE]

Or Ray Berry?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is Fairbanks in it?

Or Ray Berry?

[/QUOTE]

For the record:

Parcells 32-32, 2-2 postseason, 1 SB loss

Berry 48-39, 3-2 p/s, 1 SB loss

Fairbanks 46-39, 0-2 p/s*

*includes Ben Dreith game.

In my opinion, Fairbanks was the second best coach the franchise ever had. Great team builder as well. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to lioneljoe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hope BP never gets in. The fact he was in negotiations with a hated rival instead of preparing his team for the Super Bowl speaks volumes about his arrogance and selfishness. It totally negates any good he did before that. If he does get in, I will certainly boo him during his half time speech during the home opener and I am sure I will not be alone. 

[/QUOTE]

I think he should get in much later on for those who are more deserving, but I agree with your premise. Parcells put his ego well above the team and it was disgusting to hear about.

I have no idea why the media fawned all over him especially after learning of that.  Parcells basically destroyed every environment he ever acquired as coach since leaving the Giants. The Pats, Jets, Cowboys, Dolphins, etc, all were weaker after he left and it had more to do with HOW he left.

He since admitted he made a mistake, but there are many players or even coaches like Scarnecchia or even Ivan Fears, who should be in well before Parcells here.

McGinest, Clayborn, Law, Faulk, Light, etc, should get in before Parcells. I don't want less deserving people blocking the ones who were more loyal and true Patriots throughout.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

I hope Parcells never gets honored by the Patriots.  He spit on his legacy and that's the way it should remain.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Team HOFs are watered down across all sports.    About the only team that gets it right is the hated Yankees with their monuments to Gehrig, Ruth, Mantle, and DiMaggio.  But even then they give plaques to mere mortals.

As for Parcells, it's getting close to 20 years now since he left.   Time heals wounds.  Both he and Kraft admit they could have handled things a lot better.

I'd vote him in.

[/QUOTE]

what team's HOF are "watered down"?
    you do realize "watered down" is a classic old f**t cliche right?

CAN YOU SALSA LIKE VICTOR?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

The Exaggerated Myth of Bill Parcells in New England

AUGUST 14, 2013 BY BRUCE ALLEN

Let me begin this post by saying that I LOVED having Bill Parcells as coach of the New England Patriots, and wished he had stayed on. When he was hired by the Patriots, I was ecstatic, having found myself rooting for the Giants during several 1980′s postseasons – mostly because of Parcells and LT.

To that point, Chuck Fairbanks had been the best coach in franchise history, and to get another top coach into a franchise that was struggling with possible relocation at the time was a major coup.

There is no denying that Parcells, along with Robert Kraft and yes, Drew Bledsoe, led a major turnaround in the situation here in New England. When Parcells left, I was thoroughly dismayed.

The circumstances under which Parcells left New England has been documented ad nauseum, and really should’ve created much more acrimony towards the coach than it really did. He was negotiating with a division rival during Super Bowl week in which the Patriots were participating. It was betrayal of outrageous proportions, no matter what the personal situation between he and Bob Kraft was at the time.

Yet, the undeniable charisma of Parcells (along with the Patriots steady decline under Pete Carroll) led some to keep their loyalties to Parcells, and to pardon him for his actions. Particularly in the media was this case, with Parcells toadies breathlessly praising him at every opportunity.

After the Pete Carroll era flamed out, longtime Parcells assistant Bill Belichick was hired – under perhaps just as big a cloud of controversy as Parcells’ departure from New England – and after a season of adjustment, proceeded to win three Super Bowls in four seasons.

Belichick possesses none of  the innate charisma of Parcells. This has turned off many in the media, and some of the fan base as well, who wistfully pine for the entertaining press conferences of Parcells. To these, Parcells is the ultimate football guy, and no one can compare.

The people still exist, and attempt to give credit for the Super Bowl victories to Parcells, claiming that those titles were won with “his” players.

A caller to Felger and Mazz at the start of yesterday’s show was one of these people, claiming forcefully that “70% of the defense on those Super Bowl titles were Parcells’ draft picks and players.” The hosts, naturally did not disagree, though Felger tempered it somewhat by saying that by the ’04 team, “it was more 50/50 Parcells and Belichick guys.”

Complete Myth.

Let’s take a look. Now remember, the caller and host was only talking about defense here. First of all, five* Parcells draft picks on defense ever won a Super Bowl with the Patriots.

1994 Willie McGinest (3 titles)

1995 Ty Law (3 titles, though injured for 2004 postseason)

1995 Ted Johnson (3 titles)

1996 Lawyer Milloy (1 title, gone after 2002 season)

1996 Teddy Bruschi (3 titles)

*Marty Moore was a 1994 Parcells pick (Mr Irrelevant) played 3 games with 2001 Patriots, assisting on two tackles.

Granted, those are five outstanding players in Patriots history. You might eventually see all five in the Patriots’ Hall of Fame. You could call those guys the core of your defense.

What about the rest of the squad though? What guys on defense had played for Parcells previously?

Bryan Cox – played two seasons under Parcells with the Jets. Played 11 games for 2001 Patriots. (1 title)

Roman Phifer – played one season under Parcells with Jets. Played four seasons under Belichick with Patriots. (3 titles)

Otis Smith – played four seasons under Parcells, with NE and Jets. Three seasons with Belichick with Patriots. (1 title)

Bobby Hamilton – played three seasons under Parcells with Jets, four seasons with Belichick with Patriots. (2 titles)

Anthony Pleasant – played five seasons under Belichick in Cleveland, two with Parcells with Jets and three with Belichick with Patriots (2 titles)

Phifer

Hamilton

Pleasant

Rick Lyle – played three seasons under Parcells with Jets, two with Belichick with Patriots. (8 games in 2003)

Phifer

That’s it.

Am I seeing 70% of the defense? Am I even seeing 50/50?

Furthermore, those five core guys are the only players drafted by Bill Parcells to win a Super Bowl with the Patriots, period. He didn’t draft any of the other guys who played for both him and Belichick.

Furthermore, what did Parcells say in his farewell press conference with New England? A complaint about not being able to “shop for the groceries?” Indicating that he didn’t have control over the draft picks and personnel? So are the “Parcells guys” listed above, really “Parcells guys?”

Remember, the 1996 draft was the one that yielded Milloy and Bruschi, but that was also the one that triggered the whole exodus of Parcells from New England because he was overruled in the draft when the Patriots selected Terry Glenn in the first round.

Check this quote from Charley Armey in a Michael Madden column from 2000:

Parcells, said Armey, “didn’t make any selections at all” after the infamous Terry Glenn episode on draft day in 1996. And, by then, Armey had been relegated to being “like any other scout. I wasn’t running the draft.”

In that column, Armey also states that Parcells never had full authority over the draft to begin with:

See, people think Bill had the final authority to make the picks with the Patriots but that was never in his contract. Not when I was there, and I left after he did.

The whole argument of Parcells being the architect of those Super Bowl champions is just not true.

Like I said in the opener, I loved having Bill Parcells coach the New England Patriots, but lets ease up on the legend that he “built” the defenses that won three Super Bowls here in New England. If you want to attack Belichick for not being able to build a championship defense since 2004, that’s one thing, but to give all the credit to Parcells for the three wins, or even claiming that 70% or 50% were “Parcells guys” is preposterous.

[/QUOTE]

agenda laden revisionism...Parcells rescued a sorry Pats franchise from oblivion and changed their fortunes and entire way of doing business on the field and in the draft room...in addition to teaching the "Genius" how it's done. No Parcells=No "Patriot Way" = No Championships

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Is it draft day?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]I agree but would you put Parcells over the plYers I listed?

And let's not pretend it was Parcells idea to trade BB to the Pats. BB quit and joined the Pats and the Jets were awarded a 1st rd pick for it.

[/QUOTE]

Bellichick flaked on the Jets for one reason: he didn't want to follow Parcells

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bellichick flaked on the Jets for one reason: he didn't want to follow Parcells

[/QUOTE]

Nice spin but not correct... BB left because he didn't want to be micro-managed by BP who was going to be the overseeing football operations.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

It wasn't Parcells that changed things, it was Kraft.  Parcells comes in and did what he was suppose to do and pulls off the ultimate in unprofessionalism.  He decides to negociate with the Jets during the SB.  That's a major league infraction as Parcells didn't give two s.its about the Patriots.  Left the team high and dry.  The Pats should leave him in the same manner.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I hope not. What he did that Superbowl week should be enough to keep him out. But it won't

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Why would he? He deliberately tried to screw up the player's heads the week before the SB to get back at Kraft for refusing to turn over complete control of the team to him
    Evil's work computer name ( don't tell the boss )

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

Is it draft day?

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

and after their all in then comes Brady, vinitari, wilfork etc.  as morbid as it sounds is Parcells will get in post-mortem if he ever gets in.  You shoot your way out of a job and a region and those fences don't always get mended.  I'd venture to guess that Kraft feels that he doesn't owe anyone anything so just cause he says nice things does he mean it? I'd like to know what the fan base feels about Parcells   

Sections
Shortcuts