Will Patriots Be Tough Enough?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Will Patriots Be Tough Enough?

I think the hardest hitting game the Patriots have played this year was against the Texans.  I'm sure that the Ravens are going to be hitting hard tomorrow.  With Gronk out, the Patriots offense becomes more finesse than not. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Will Patriots Be Tough Enough?

I thought Chan Sanfrisco hit the Pats pretty  hard . . .

or it may have just been the rain.

But to answer you question: No, they won't be tough enough . . .  but they will win.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I think so. This is the toughest team (especially on defense) we've had since '04.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think so. This is the toughest team (especially on defense) we've had since '04.

Playing tough willbe key, but not essential.  Guys like dennard, gregory and Mayo, Hightower can ram guys but they have to be carfeul of the late hits, unsportsmanlike stuff.  Emotions in check will a little bit of toughness should do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

At this level and at this point in the tournament, it's important to simply do what you do.

We saw in the early-season match-up how tyring to "intimidate" got both teams in trouble at various times (granted, with "replacement" officials). I think a smart New England team could use Baltimore's reputation against it, although I'm inclined to believe that Ray Lewis' impending retirement is going to give him (and his team) "Jerome Bettis" status in this game . . .  and an ensuing Super Bowl if the Pats don't do what I think they will do and jump out to a rapid and insurmountable lead in the first twenty minutes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

It takes a pretty tough guy to pull this off!

So I will say yes to your question!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Ummmm . . .

Are we entirely sure he actually is "pulling that off"?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

You don't have the success the Patriots have had without being tough.  They don't have to walk around like some thugs trying to prove to everyone they are tough.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Even though we lost, the game against the 49ers is a good example.

How many teams have the mental toughness to come back from a 31-3 score?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I don't believe this krap about finesse teams in the NFL. Granted some teams may be a bit tougher or more hardened by the NFL by nature has been a tough, rough league for years and finesse doesn't win consistently in the NFL.

Hetch 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

I don't believe this krap about finesse teams in the NFL. Granted some teams may be a bit tougher or more hardened by the NFL by nature has been a tough, rough league for years and finesse doesn't win consistently in the NFL.

Hetch 

Love that avatar, hetch! Is that your pup?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

Agree, Talib brought some nastiness to this team and tHe whole defense has picked it up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from In_BB_We_Trust. Show In_BB_We_Trust's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

It takes a pretty tough guy to pull this off!

So I will say yes to your question!

boss

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In spite of what some posters opine, this is why you have a nasty guy like Mankins on your team. The entire team plays tougher when he's on the field.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

"Tough enough"? THat is the question? Really? Come on man.

THe Patriots are one tough team. Physically and mentally. It will take more than tough to win from either team. But both teams are clearly tough enough.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Seattle was tough

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

You obviously don't watch enough football if you consider HOU tough.

SEA, SF, BAL were all harder hitting than HOU

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think the patriots have played some of the most physical teams in the league over the last month...we had no problems. This team we have is big and physical - I highly doubt we let ourselves get punched in the face tomorrow.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

I'll take smart and stoic over tough thugs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Tough is really a function of strength and aggression.  BB has always drafted for both.

Strength:

As a rule, when a Volkswagen bug hits a semi head-on the bug crumples up, in part because of the relative deceleration forces of the lighter VW instantly stopping and then heading 60 mph backwards. 

The average NFL linebacker weighs 240 pounds.  In Foxboro, they run between 252 and 265.  BB once had two defensive ends, Richard Seymour and Ty Warren, at 310 and 300 pounds.  Two Ton Ted Washington had a playing weight of around 400 pounds, and Walrus Wilfork can start the season at 375. 

Nate Solder has a unique combination of bulk and acceleration so that he hits opposing linebackers and defensive backs with a rare wallop.  BB's offensive line isn't really a bunch of run-blocking maulers, although all five of them are better than the NFL average.

Gronk is both big and strong when he's on the field.  His backup on the line, Hoom, is pretty overweight at 263 pounds and hits well. 

Aggression:

Logan Mankins isn't particularly large for a guard by Baltimore standards, but he had a terribly nasty dispositon in college, at least on the field.  He's affable enough when talking to reporters.

Meriweather didn't work out, but in college he kicked a prone opponent player in the head once.  Spikes had an attitude in college.  Chung was a hard hitter in college.  BB's new starting cornerback, Alfonzo Dennard, had to miss practice this past Wednesday for slugging a police officer.  Not to worry, the cop looks ok now.  Finesse.  Mr. Dennard was the perfect gentleman in court Wednesday.

Beyond strength and aggression, finesse is the opposite of "lack of talent".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Why don't you ask that question to the face of a Patriots' player?  I am certain THEY will let you know they are tough enough!!  Come on, what do you REALLY think??!!  The fact you asked the question feeds right into the thinking of Ravens' fans who say the Pats are patsies and to have their own fans ask this question.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Pats are surely tough. Close up those lanes on KO and PR first. Contain Ray Rice as best you can mentality. Flacco will try to imitate Brady with the short field passes and TOP to keep TB off the field while keeping the Ravens D fresh. Ravens will play tough D as most always. Play smart! Dropping Nink back in coverage and allow Hightower to rush worked well against the Texans. Things like that. I expect a lot of FGs' in this game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Mankins leads the OL.  He doesn't let anybody mess with Brady.  Spikes hits the snot out of everybody.  After getting hit by him a couple of times it's got to take it's toll.  Birk will have his hands full with Wilfork.  Everybody has their hands full with Wilfork be you an all pro or not.  I do miss Harrison though.  To have a safety like that again would be great. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

The 49'ers flat out punched them in the mouth and the Patriots came back!  Even though they lost in the end this game was huge for the players and fans.  Never count them out when they look down for the count! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ASO9771. Show ASO9771's posts

Mentally tough WE have been there before

Sections
Shortcuts