Will Pats Trade UP?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Re: Will Pats Trade UP?

Good stuff. Getting fired up for the draft.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's some thoughts on whether a team should trade up: http://www.ganggreennation.com/2012/4/15/2949866/when-is-trading-up-acceptable

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

I'd trade up to get Barron in a heartbeat. I salivate at the thought of him and Chung playing together. Slim chance but I can dream. If not, dline, and like Wozzy said Smith or Iloka in the second. If they don't use 1 of the first 4 picks on a safety I will be mighty disappointed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Will Pats Trade UP?:
    [QUOTE]I'd trade up to get Barron in a heartbeat. I salivate at the thought of him and Chung playing together. Slim chance but I can dream. If not, dline, and like Wozzy said Smith or Iloka in the second. If they don't use 1 of the first 4 picks on a safety I will be mighty disappointed.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

You would trade the 27th and 31st overall picks to move up to get Barron? I might consider paying such a price if it meant getting RB Trent Richardson, or maybe DE/DT Fletcher Cox. But...not for Barron. He's a nice player, but I don't see him as the second coming of Troy Polamalu, or Ed Reed.  

Smith at #31 would be a reach. Iloka doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather see the Pats get pass-rushers, CBs, help at RB or WR...than reach for a safety. I expect the Pats to trade down, and use a later pick to snag a Brandon Taylor, or FS projects like Ron Brooks, or Tony Dye.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Gotta take a chance man. I was thinking more of 27 and a 2nd anyways. I fully agree with you on the d-line, I would not take Smith at 31 like I said above. Do you really want to go into the season starting Steven Gregory though? I don't want to see some chump like Ihedigbo forced into a starting role late in the season again. No thanks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Gotta take a chance man. I was thinking more of 27 and a 2nd anyways. I fully agree with you on the d-line, I would not take Smith at 31 like I said above. Do you really want to go into the season starting Steven Gregory though? I don't want to see some chump like Ihedigbo forced into a starting role late in the season again. No thanks.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

To move up to get Barron for the 27th and 48th picks would be worth it. But, that's not going to get the deal done. Barron, by far the best safety in a weak class, is going to be in high demand. 

Do I want to go into this season with Steve Gregory as the starting FS? No. But, I don't want the Patriots ever drafting for need only. That's when mistakes are made. They have other options, such as playing Devin McCourty at FS. 

This is a deep draft at WR, CB, and DL. Rather than reach for Smith at #31, I'd rather see them trade down, accumulate more picks, and get themselves the best available players. Then, with a later pick, pick up a FS project like Ron Brooks, or Tony Dye.       

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Not much chance of them trading up in the first round however trading one of the first round picks to the second round and a future pick highly likely.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Pats Trade UP? :      LOL!!! You might also recall the situation with Kentucky DT DeWayne Robertson, the Dontari Poe of the 2003 NFL draft. The Paats hinted that they were going to move up to get Robertson...and then the Jets paid a kings' ransom in draft choices to "beat the Pats to the punch". Remember: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2003/draft/news/2003/04/23/patriots _draft_ap/ ;      The Pats' were supposedly "scooped" by the Jets, when the Jets traded their 13th, 22nd, and 116th overall picks in the 2003 draft, to move up to #4, and take Robertson. Meanwhile, the Patriots, who possessed the 14th and 19th overall picks that year, feigned interest in moving up to #4 for Robertson, and instead took Ty Warren, and traded their 19th overall pick to Baltimore for the Ravens' 41st pick in 2003 (used to select FS Eugene Wilson), and their #1 pick in 2004 (used to select Vince Wilfolk): http://www.ganggreennation.com/2011/4/6/2093186/top-ten-new-york-jets-draft-busts-8-dewayne-robertson      LOL!!!
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    I messed up.  The Pats were scooped on the DeWayne Shrimpy-Arms Robertson deal. 

And can you guess why I don't like Poe either?  Shrimpy arms again!  Maybe Mike Genius Tannenbaum can scoop this new guy right up. 

The Baltimore trade brought Kyle Boller to Baltimore.  Always good to get exactly the right quarterback. 

Finally, here's a tale of the Pats trading up:

Take for example the 2010 trade in which the Patriots sent the 44th and 190th selections to the Raiders for Oakland’s pick at No. 42. This move drew very little interest because at its core, it really only involved a sixth-round pick in exchange for the right to move up two spots. Small potatoes, right?  Wrong.  That trade allowed the Patriots to leapfrog the Baltimore Ravens—who were sitting at No. 43 and in the market for a tight end—and draft a guy from the University of Arizona named Rob Gronkowski.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Anatomy-of-a-draft-day-trade.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Pats Trade UP? :      To move up to get Barron for the 27th and 48th picks would be worth it. But, that's not going to get the deal done. Barron, by far the best safety in a weak class, is going to be in high demand.       Do I want to go into this season with Steve Gregory as the starting FS? No. But, I don't want the Patriots ever drafting for need only. That's when mistakes are made. They have other options, such as playing Devin McCourty at FS.       This is a deep draft at WR, CB, and DL. Rather than reach for Smith at #31, I'd rather see them trade down, accumulate more picks, and get themselves the best available players. Then, with a later pick, pick up a FS project like Ron Brooks, or Tony Dye.       

Hey Tp,
    What do you think of Harrison Smith?  Captain and also plays LB in addition to safety.  Projected late 1st, early second. 
    Just seems like a BB guy to me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]I read some piece I forgot where was it that said NE will keep #27 and trade away #31, don't know how accurate this report is. Have any of you read anything close to it?
    Posted by leonardo0110[/QUOTE]

I read the same article.  I blew it off because BB just doesn't trade picks to trade picks.  How do you trade a pick before you know what's going to be there or what offers will be made?  It was a stupid thing to say. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Will Pats Trade UP?": [QUOTE]" You may justifiably argue that BB took the wrong defenders, when he mistakenly passed on OLB Connor Barwin in 2009 to take Brace and Butler, passed on DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard and OLB Brooks Reid in 2011 to take Dowling, and/or passing on DE Carlos Dunlap, to draft Cunningham. But, you can't deny that BB has tried mightily to address his "D". He's used a #1 draft choice in 2010, 4 high second round picks in 2009 and 2011, and two other second rounders in 2010...attempting to rebuild his defense, with mixed results . "  ~ TP   From 2009-2011, 3 Drafts- Each Draft through Rounds 1-6 2009 : Allotted Rds 1-6 picks of-< #23 , #34 , #47 , #58 , #89 , #97 , #124 , #170 , #199 , #207 > Rd 2 Patrick Chung #34 Ron Brace #40 Darius Butler #41 Rd 3 Tyrone McKenzie #97 Rd 6 Myron Pryor #207 {5 of 10 on Defense, prior to numbered trade downs w/ subsequent additional resulting picks} 2010 : Allotted Rds 1-6 picks of-< #22 , #44 , #47 , #53 , #119 , #190 , #205 > Rd 1 Devon McCourty #27 Rd 2 Jermaine Cunningham #53 Brandon Spikes #62 {3 of 7 on Defense, prior to numbered trade downs w/ subsequent additional resulting picks} 2011 : Alloted Rds 1-6 Draft picks of-< #17 , #28 , #33 , #60 , #74 , #92 , #125 , #159 , #193 > Rd 2 Ras I Dowling #33 Rd 6 Markell Carter #194 {2 of 9 on Defense, prior to numbered trade downs w/ subsequent additional resulting picks}  C'mon man, you're suppose to dazzle us with some wit and make us dizzy with allegorical tales. Not just cherry pick misleading numbers, anybody can do that. I do that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

There aren't many players I would trade way up into round for in this draft. The value / talent is right in our 4 picks between round 1 and 2. Perfect place for unto be drafting this year. On Barron..love him, but too costly I think to go that high to get him. I will piggyback on a thought PatsEng had on drafting a bigger corner (which btw are deep this year) to convert to fs or keep McCourty or Moore at fs. Realistically, BB will move guys in the secondary around from time to time, and I am not sold on having to draft a fs in a draft class that is shallow when u have a draft class deep at cb that we can pick from.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Pats Trade UP? :      You would trade the 27th and 31st overall picks to move up to get Barron? I might consider paying such a price if it meant getting RB Trent Richardson, or maybe DE/DT Fletcher Cox. But...not for Barron. He's a nice player, but I don't see him as the second coming of Troy Polamalu, or Ed Reed.        Smith at #31 would be a reach. Iloka doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather see the Pats get pass-rushers, CBs, help at RB or WR...than reach for a safety. I expect the Pats to trade down, and use a later pick to snag a Brandon Taylor, or FS projects like Ron Brooks, or Tony Dye.   

i would loooooove richardson. just would be too costly.
    maybe a player and a 1st and 2nd? dotn know you could get someone to bite.
    its nto worth our whole draft.

rather have hill/jeffery, fleener and jenkins
    reyes/thompson/winn/wolfe, brach/curry/mclellin, broyles/coale/hemingway

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Will Pats Trade UP?": [QUOTE]" You may justifiably argue that BB took the wrong defenders, when he mistakenly passed on OLB Connor Barwin in 2009 to take Brace and Butler, passed on DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard and OLB Brooks Reid in 2011 to take Dowling, and/or passing on DE Carlos Dunlap, to draft Cunningham. But, you can't deny that BB has tried mightily to address his "D". He's used a #1 draft choice in 2010, 4 high second round picks in 2009 and 2011, and two other second rounders in 2010...attempting to rebuild his defense, with mixed results . "  ~ TP   From 2009-2011, 3 Drafts- Each Draft through Rounds 1-6 2009 : Allotted Rds 1-6 picks of-< #23 , #34 , #47 , #58 , #89 , #97 , #124 , #170 , #199 , #207 /> Rd 2 Patrick Chung #34 Ron Brace #40 Darius Butler #41 Rd 3 Tyrone McKenzie #97 Rd 6 Myron Pryor #207 {5 of 10 on Defense, prior to numbered trade downs w/ subsequent additional resulting picks} 2010 : Allotted Rds 1-6 picks of-< #22 , #44 , #47 , #53 , #119 , #190 , #205 /> Rd 1 Devon McCourty #27 Rd 2 Jermaine Cunningham #53 Brandon Spikes #62 {3 of 7 on Defense, prior to numbered trade downs w/ subsequent additional resulting picks} 2011 : Alloted Rds 1-6 Draft picks of-< #17 , #28 , #33 , #60 , #74 , #92 , #125 , #159 , #193 > Rd 2 Ras I Dowling #33 Rd 6 Markell Carter #194 {2 of 9 on Defense, prior to numbered trade downs w/ subsequent additional resulting picks}  C'mon man, you're suppose to dazzle us with some wit and make us dizzy with allegorical tales. Not just cherry pick misleading numbers, anybody can do that. I do that.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Cherry picking?? LOL!!! Sorry...but facts aren't "dazzling". As for telling tales, I'm not UD6 or Rusty. Look at all the high draft choices BB has spent on the defense over the years. Check out your own figures. It is you who are being misleading.

1.) 2009 - used 4 of the top 97 picks on "D";

2.) 2010 - used 3 of the top 62 picks on "D";

3.) 2011 - used the 34th overall pick on "D".

That's 8 high draft choices spent on the defense over the past 3 years.     

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Pats Trade UP? : Hey Tp, What do you think of Harrison Smith?  Captain and also plays LB in addition to safety.  Projected late 1st, early second.  Just seems like a BB guy to me.
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]

Smith is a nice player. But, I don't see him evolving into a star player. I wouldn't use a #1 pick on him. Though he won't be around at pick #48, I'd much rather see the Pats trade down, than reach for a player at a position of need.  

This is a deep draft at CB, WR, RB, and DT. The Pats need help at all of these positions. I'd use the 27th or 31st pick on the best player available on the Pats' draft board, at DT, CB, RB, or an OLB/DE type pass-rusher...and use the other #1 to trade down, and pick up additional draft picks. Or...I'd use both #1 picks to trade down.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Will Pats Trade UP?": [QUOTE]"C'mon man, you're suppose to dazzle us with some wit and make us dizzy with allegorical tales. Not just cherry pick misleading numbers, anybody can do that. I do that.

Sorry shenanigan, my bad.  Lol, And here I was just thinking that ALL I was doing was given 100% Exact & Precise Details on what occured with NE's Original Slotted Picks in 2009-2011, and the subsequent players on The Defensive Side of the ball which they selected. 

IF only I was as objective, thorough, and exacting with my details & specifics, as the guy was in the 2 posts directly above me...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Will Pats Trade UP?": [QUOTE]" You may justifiably argue that BB took the wrong defenders, when he mistakenly passed on OLB Connor Barwin in 2009 to take Brace and Butler, passed on DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard and OLB Brooks Reid in 2011 to take Dowling, and/or passing on DE Carlos Dunlap, to draft Cunningham. But, you can't deny that BB has tried mightily to address his "D". He's used a #1 draft choice in 2010, 4 high second round picks in 2009 and 2011, and two other second rounders in 2010...attempting to rebuild his defense, with mixed results . "  ~ TP   From 2009-2011, 3 Drafts- Each Draft through Rounds 1-6 2009 : Allotted Rds 1-6 picks of-< #23 , #34 , #47 , #58 , #89 , #97 , #124 , #170 , #199 , #207 /> Rd 2 Patrick Chung #34 Ron Brace #40 Darius Butler #41 Rd 3 Tyrone McKenzie #97 Rd 6 Myron Pryor #207 {5 of 10 on Defense, prior to numbered trade downs w/ subsequent additional resulting picks} 2010 : Allotted Rds 1-6 picks of-< #22 , #44 , #47 , #53 , #119 , #190 , #205 > Rd 1 Devon McCourty #27 Rd 2 Jermaine Cunningham #53 Brandon Spikes #62 {3 of 7 on Defense, prior to numbered trade downs w/ subsequent additional resulting picks} 2011 : Alloted Rds 1-6 Draft picks of-< #17 , #28 , #33 , #60 , #74 , #92 , #125 , #159 , #193 > Rd 2 Ras I Dowling #33 Rd 6 Markell Carter #194 {2 of 9 on Defense, prior to numbered trade downs w/ subsequent additional resulting picks}  C'mon man, you're suppose to dazzle us with some wit and make us dizzy with allegorical tales. Not just cherry pick misleading numbers, anybody can do that. I do that.

Wait...now I'M confused.  TP, whom I'm at odds with on this 1 small area, took it as the exact same knock on him as I though you were throwing at me...  Ya KNOW shenanigan, We would REALLY appreciate it 'round here, IF you would at least have the courtesy to address by name, the person you're trying to be discourteous too...  I mean, I DO...sheez, I blast and insult people ALL day long, on here, at work, in traffic, over the phone, yellin' out my window into the thin blue air, screaming at some #ssh#le on television=ALL very politely, addressed by name (Example: "Mitch, you ARE a total low-life sc#mb#g...Who does Mitch care about at work?  Answer: Mitch cares about Mitch, along with whomever's directly in front of him that he's gonna be two-faced towards 5 seconds later when the guys' back is turned.  Mitch, most of Us here pray for death on a nightly basis...).

Jesus shenanigan- show some manners for god sakes...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Will Pats Trade UP?:
    [QUOTE]CSN New England's Tom Curran is hearing from multiple sources that the Patriots would target Alabama S Mark Barron if they made a trade to move up in the draft. The Pats certainly have a need opposite Patrick Chung. They also have the ammo to trade up from No. 27, but they would have to give up quite a bit to move in front of the Cowboys at No. 14. As SI.com's Peter King suggested early in the week, Barron's stock is steadily on the rise.
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

Alright, What IS the story on this reply thing working right?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Will Pats Trade UP? : Alright, What IS the story on this reply thing working right?
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Ugggh, I HATE you...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Pats Trade UP? : Ugggh, I HATE you...

Hey now be fair, Laz is right on this one and you're wrong  >.>

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Pats Trade UP? : Hey now be fair, Laz is right on this one and you're wrong   />.>
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I'm SORRY PatsEng, But THAT guy tries my patience like NO-one else on earth...

I mean, mayyybe he'll accept my apology, but I know the guy, so I doubt it: 

Laz, I do not really & trully "hate you"; I was just acting frustrated, I'm sorry.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Pats Trade UP? :   Laz, I do not really & trully "hate you"; I was just acting frustrated, I'm sorry.

P#ss off.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Will Pats Trade UP?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Pats Trade UP? : Wait...now I'M confused.  TP , whom I'm at odds with on this 1 small area, took it as the exact same knock on him as I though you were throwing at me...  Ya KNOW shenanigan , We would REALLY appreciate it 'round here, IF you would at least have the courtesy to address by name, the person you're trying to be discourteous too...  I mean, I DO...sheez, I blast and insult people ALL day long, on here, at work, in traffic, over the phone, yellin' out my window into the thin blue air, screaming at some #ssh#le on television=ALL very politely, addressed by name (Example: "Mitch, you ARE a total low-life sc#mb#g...Who does Mitch care about at work?  Answer: Mitch cares about Mitch, along with whomever's directly in front of him that he's gonna be two-faced towards 5 seconds later when the guys' back is turned.  Mitch, most of Us here pray for death on a nightly basis...). Jesus shenanigan- show some manners for god sakes... Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE] It was you. Why not only count the picks with brown hair? Makes as much sense. If you have to chop the data up into pieces to support your hypothesis there's usually a reason. In this case because the data didn't support your hypothesis.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

This thread started out so well. Unforetunately it's become a good example of why the ignore option is available.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Will Pats Trade UP?": It was you. Why not only count the picks with brown hair? Makes as much sense. If you have to chop the data up into pieces to support your hypothesis there's usually a reason. In this case because the data didn't support your hypothesis.

Offense verses Defense players, In all but the final round?  Brown hair?  Maybe this is just not complicated to me... 

Sections
Shortcuts