Will RECORD Breakers be criticized?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Will RECORD Breakers be criticized?

Lot's of talk about Brady's stats in the Titans game, setting a single qtr TD pass record, etc..  Also, the Pats stopped, basically, their scoring at 59 points mid way in the 3rd quarter.  We know it could have been more. This has led to the Pats, once again, being vilified for running up the score.

So how about this:  If a player/team breaks a single game scoring, passing, rushing or any type of record today, which in most case means a high score, will that team/player be vilified in today's NFL?  Seems a player/team is EXPECTED to perform extremely well, and when they do, it WILL be criticized.  Look at Brady's stats from playing in roughly 35 minutes, in snow, while Brees stats came from playing an ENTIRE game, under a dome.  It has been said Brady was padding stats while Brees played well.  Which is it?  So, what can we expect today?  If a player has a chance to set a record, will that player be pulled for fear of being accused of "padding the stats" or the team running up the score?  Damned if they do and damned if they don't!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Re: Will RECORD Breakers be criticized?

Anyone suggesting they ran up the score didn't watch the game and doesn't understand the dynamics of this unit trying to come back together.  It's absurd, as Michael Wilbon suggested, to say "Belichick likes to run up the score".  If anything, I'm sure he would have gladly asked that the Titans acknowledge defeat at the end of the 3rd to avoid injury.

They did everything they wanted this game - they won, they had three plays over 40 yards and they had some 2nd stringers see time.  If they were able to score in all of those cases then it's on the Titans - not Belichick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Sonny,

OK, they won the game.  But to the point of this discussion...  is there any reason for a team or player to go for records, within reach, when it seems the world will then chastise them for running up the score or padding the stats?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

In Response to Re: Will RECORD Breakers be criticized?:
    [QUOTE]Sonny, OK, they won the game.  But to the point of this discussion...  is there any reason for a team or player to go for records, within reach, when it seems the world will then chastise them for running up the score or padding the stats?
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]
    OK, fair enough, I can see how I dodged the question.  I suppose the issue is that the media is covering too many games and too many angles.  They look at the collective score and revert to an obvious answer that Belichick was running up the score.  You're exactly right about Brady only playing 35 minutes - really makes me think he had the better game of the two. 

Brees playing the entire game was necessary - they won going away but at any point it could have become a game again.  Brady, frankly, didn't even need to go out for the second half for his team to win.  I think it would have been foolish for him not to whereas whatever happens in one half could theoretically happen in the second half.

Bottom line: outsider fans and the media are looking at the collective sample and saying a score that high was unecessary.  Of course these people aren't responsible for the team on gameday nor are they responsible for the rest of the season's play (nor do they care).  So, if a guy is chasing a record by playing, yes, he should not stay in the game simply based on that but rather to help the team.  Brady could have had 8 TD's easily by the end of the game but it wasn't worth it.  There is also something to be said fo revealing plays - why waste them on such an unworth opponent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Brady could solve world hunger, cure cancer, solve global warming, and the energy crisis all at the same time and anyone that doesn't live in NE will find something wrong with it.

I live in CT at the moment, and it's filled with so many Patriots haters. Since the superbowl it's all Giants all the time. Never saw any Giants fans before that. They rip Brady constantly. I need to move to Mass, or back to Maine.

Ok, for the discussion. Why on earth would you take out your starting QB, who is rolling for the first time since a major injury, out of the game in the second quarter!?!?!??!?!? The flawed logic and hatred for the Patriots that some of these people have just baffles me!

Do you want to not score a ton of points so you can give the other team a chance to come back? No! This is football. There are only 16 games. You want to score so many points so that your opponent has no chance of coming back. Again, this is football, not fairyball in pansyland. The pros can handle a beating.

But if Bret Favre did it, running up the score wouldn't be a discussion. Everyone is loving Brees at the moment as well, so it's okay for him to pile on points until 5 mins left in the fourth quarter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

This is easy to answer, only records by Patriots players will be criticized, if Manning or Brees put up those numbers in one half there would be such a gush of man love on bspn that gay marriage would seem a normal thing.

Stop watching bspn!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]Sonny, OK, they won the game.  But to the point of this discussion...  is there any reason for a team or player to go for records, within reach, when it seems the world will then chastise them for running up the score or padding the stats?
    Reason or not, its a reality.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Personally, I'd go for the record and could care less what the competition thinks.  Let me clarify.  I would not alter my game plan or overtly play just for the record, but I wouldn't let off the gas pedal one bit either.  BB actually went soft on the Titans.  We could have attempted a field goal and likely broke the point differential record.  Weren't we in possible field goal range later on and decided to go for it on 4th down and got stopped?

Furthermore, who's to say the team/player that holds the record wasn't trying to set a record?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Lets not forget points are used for tie breakers so the more points mo better.

Go Pats!

Sections
Shortcuts