Will Rex Ryan Call Out the NFL?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Will Rex Ryan Call Out the NFL?

Stay with me here. It's no secret the Colts have gotten some blatant pass interference calls the past few seasons, especially in times of desperation. Let's say the Jets are up 9 points with 7 minutes to go and on a 3rd down, Peyton throws a deep ball, wihch inevitably gets the flag. Let's say the Colts score and get a field goal to win by 1 point.

Rex Ryan, to me, is the most brash coach in the NFL. He doesn't mince words, or his diet, and could that actually do us some good? Could he actually go live on the air after the game and blast the officials and the league? I remember Charles Barkley once said something almost every NBA player was thinking: "I know he's Michael Jordan but I mean come on, man."

Thoughts on this? It'd be interesting to see, no doubt.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Will Rex Ryan Call Out the NFL?

Well, I don't buy into any conspiracy.  I think there are two primary factors for the Colts PI calls:

1. As bjesuss says, they do have some good players.

2. More importantly, they have good players with good reputations.  I believe a players rep has a lot of impact into who gets the benefit of the doubt.  In other words, who gets favored in one of those calls that could go either way.  By reputation, I'm not talking about People magazine, but how good you are perceived by all those associated with the game, and how clean you typically play.

If they get another questionable call, it likely won't be against Revis.  Revis is another good example of how being good with a good rep can help.  Many ordinary DB's would be frequently called for PI if they played like Revis does sometimes.  This is hardly unique to football.  The good players with good reps have always received preferential treatment from the refs in all sports.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

well said carawaydj...also...its fairly ironic to see a pats fan crying over calls/non-calls after getting so many whistles their way in the past decade

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Holmgrem tryed that in 2005, it did not work.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teddydupay4. Show teddydupay4's posts

Rex should take the Phil Jackson approach and mention it BEFORE the game, so everyone starts putting a closer eye to it come gametime, which inevitably...@ least in the NBAs case...makes for better officiating on that particular issue, if only for one game.  But that's all Rex needs is this one game.

Unlike some Pats fans, I respect the Jets and Ryan.  He takes no BS and speaks his mind.  And though he does it in a different way, like Bill, he tries to inspire confidence in his players.  I wouldn't mind at all seeing a Super Bowl media day with Rex Ryan at the mike.  THAT's entertainment.  Hopefully the PATHETIC NFL rules system that allows WRs to mob DBs, create separation, and initiate contact to no penalty calls this weekend's game fairly.

NFL rules state that both teams have a right to the ball, so contact or not, if a DB is going for the ball, it's not PI.  How about some (ONE maybe?) Offensive PI call on all the picking across the field?  How about evening it out, instead of putting Offensive PI in the rule book just to give the facade that it's a fair game?

Won't happen though.  I can already see Reggie Wayne sprawling his hands in the air after Revis sweats on him, like usual.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Whatever you think about That Fat Guy and his team, I don't think whining about the officiating is ever a good strategy. The rules -- or, more accurately, the way the rules are interpreted -- are what they are. Certain teams take better advantage of the league's deference to offensive fireworks than others, and the Colts are one of those teams. There are people who will tell you that Michael Jordan was one of the greatest basketball players of all time, and it's hard to argue with that. But I find today's NBA virtually unwatchable -- not because it's not entertaining, but because it's not basketball, and we have Michael Jordan to blame for that. If you're going to legalize travelling and the carry (crossover, my @ss) that's all well and good, but don't pretend you're playing the same game. It's the same with the NFL -- the league believes that most fans want what Arizona and Green Bay gave us a couple weeks ago, and the rules have been folded and spindled and "interpreted" to encourage exactly that type of game. Those of us who like to believe that football games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage may find ourselves having a hard time hanging onto those beliefs in the face of the "evolution of the game."

Ultimately, it's the networks that determine what is "best for the league." It's not Bill Polian or Jeff Fisher (or even Don Shula). Only ratings will convince the networks that what they are giving us is not what we want, so if you're really tired of all the pass interference, there's a simple solution.

Don't watch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

Oh, look who it is. Leon's mom finally separated you two with a bucket of water.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

apdynasty is not crying here, even the NFL pre-game show hosts brought up that the refs for the Chargers-Jets game called the least PI calls than any other team of officials.

Why would they say that if it wasn't a valid point.

Oh, and by the way, this is a New England Patriots forum is it not? The Colts are our bitter rivals. All's fair in love and war.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

AP - haven't you and some of your other brethren humped this sow enough? 

Digger - validity is universal.  A pats forum does not make your colts hate any more or less valid.  As to why the media would say it - many here believe the media report on )and blow up) plenty of things that are not valid.  Sell the sizzle.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Chances are, AP, if you were able to watch ALL NFL games, every Sunday, each week, you will see PI calls of the type you consider "borderline".  Is it coincidental the Colts seem to get them just at the right time?  Who knows. 

The bottom line, IMHO, no PI call has awarded a team a TD or FG.  It may be disheartening to see such a call against your team, but, you'd expect your D to make the stops regardless.  If that PI call is the ONLY one the entire game and your team loses, the tendancy is to focus on that lone call and blame it for the loss.  For example, that call may have happened in the 2nd quarter when the points scored to beat your team all happened in the second half.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The NFL is aware of the criticism of the Colts and PI.  They don't care because they are in the money making business and Manning and several other QB's and Wr's sell Jerseys and the NFL brand.  Defensive backs and Safeties aren't as good at selling the NFL. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

As a fan of football, I want consistency. If they're going to call agregious PI's then call them for everyone. It's not a talent thing either. Moss doesn't get that benefit of the doubt. Neither does T.O. Neither does Andrew Johnson. Neither does Brandon Marshall. I don't see Brady's receivers get those calls. Neither do Brees'. Neither do Philip Rivers'. It seems to be the Colts, more often than not at home, regardless of who's catching the balls Peyton throws.

By the way, I love being given a primer on how to be an "honest, unbiased, objective football fan" by fans of other teams that patrol NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS forums. Good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Visitors to this board from other towns should know 2 things: 1) New Englanders have a sense of fairness and rightness; for example, yes, there is a lot of hate for the Jets, but you will also see respect for thier game from some of the same who hate because they are playing right football with heart; so back to the unfair calls going the Colts way; it just bothers me as a New Englander...2)small towns breed small minds...for example, I was watching a Colts home game and a long pass fell incomplete with tight coverage; well, wouldn't you know the fans where groaning for the PI call that they've so (unfairly) gotten used to...commentators had to assure the viewers it was incidental contact, etc...small towns breed small minds.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

I can specifically quickly think of only one bad PI call that the colts got this year.  Does that mean that the colts are getting more than others? 

Some thoughts here - the colts as a general rule throw more than other teams (#2 in pass attempts), so there are more opportunities to get calls.  

Their passing offense is based on timing, not necessarily finding or waiting to find the open man (this is part of what makes good passing offenses good).  That can mean that frequently the ball is thrown when a receiver is covered.  Which means there is a greater likelihood for their to be contact than if a receiver was simply open.  

For example - last week when Reed picked his second ball but was overturned due to PI, Clark was covered by his man when the ball was delivered.  The defender impeded Clark's ability to get to the ball leaving Reed a wide open path (he was not covering Clark) to the interception.  

I have said this many times about the pats db's manhandling the colts receivers in that playoff game 03 (i think).  Yes, I believe they were penalties, but they were not called, and they were not called all game.  I give credit to Belichick and the pats for this.  They pressured the refs to make (or not make) a call.  The refs did not (and that is not the pats fault) and the pats killed the colts. 

By the same token, I think the colts timing offense and some of Manning's throws into coverage pressure the refs to make a decision about pass interference. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I just go back to the Pats/Indy game this year. The PI call in the 4th was not PI and even the announcers said so.
    In the Indy game a Raven WR ran directly at the defender for Indy and the WR was called for a penalty. Funny thing was in the Pats game the exact same thing happened when the Raven DB ran right at the Pats DB and the the Pats DB was called for the penalty.
    Now it has to be one or the other not both.

It seems that Indy gets all these calls and one reason is that we see them on TV so much and we interpet it as meaning they get all the calls.
    They also are not afraid to throw the long pass late in the game a lot.

However the test will come this weekend.I can hardly wait to see what is called or not called on Revis. Since IMHO he happens to play the old way by that I mean he "rides" the WR all over the field not just for 5 yards.
    And BTW in the NFL when is 5 yards actually 5 yards?

On a RB screen or especially a WR screen when is a line man actually considered an inelligible reciever "down field"?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

First: 1/23/2009
    Last: 1/20/2010
    well said carawaydj...also...its fairly ironic to see a pats fan crying over calls/non-calls after getting so many whistles their way in the past decade

Care to elaborate? The Pat's normally have to fight the opposition AND the ref's !
    And No, the Tuck doesn't count as the millions of replays have shown it was the correct call whereas, all the Indy PI calls have been shown to be bogus.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoochiemgg. Show hoochiemgg's posts

Being a Pats fan that transferred to South Florida in the early 80's I can remember the PI calls that Marino got. It seemed that anytime a play got broken up out came the flag. When there was no flag, the fans would go nuts and lo and behold, out came the late flag, often from the opposite side of the field. It was maddening. Peyton is great and he knows that if he chucks one deep to Wayne that getting a catch OR a flag is a distinct possibility. However, as a Pats fan, watching the calls Brady plead for and got against the Ravens was a bit embarrasing. It's the old live by the sword die by the sword. We have had our share of calls as well so I'm just glad that we had the talent and good fortune to win 3 superbowls. Having been a fan since the 60's there were times I thought we'd never ever win just one. Lastly, to say the Colts weren't the best team in the AFC this year would be incorrect.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from number1troll. Show number1troll's posts

this obsessive whining about ref bias is an embarrassment to the pats fan base. check how many holding calls against freeney will be missed. there are at least two or three per game where the replay will show one of his arms/shoulders being pulled back while he's just a few feet from the QB but no call. if i were a colts receiver i'd tell the ref my route every play so they would know where to look for the holds. don't spite the colts the talent of their players just because the pats have tanked their drafts/acquisitions and/or underperformed. and stop embarrassing yourself. grow up!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from number1troll. Show number1troll's posts

"Won't happen though.  I can already see Reggie Wayne sprawling his hands in the air after Revis sweats on him, like usual"

another embarrassing comment by a pats fan. in the ravens wild card game it looked like the pats strategy on offense was to turn to the ref after every play and beg for a call. watch it on tivo, you'll see. wayne usually keeps a fairly low profile on (and off) the field. so don't embarrass yourself by saying he does this.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from number1troll. Show number1troll's posts

"However the test will come this weekend.I can hardly wait to see what is called or not called on Revis. Since IMHO he happens to play the old way by that I mean he "rides" the WR all over the field not just for 5 yards."

I agree with this. On ESPN this week one highlight of Revis clearly showed him holding about 7-8 yards past line of scrimmage. I just wonder how it'll be called Sunday. i'll tivo game so i can watch replays in slo-mo. and any 'my p*ssy hurts' whining about calls and non-calls on this board should be posted with quarter and time of play, otherwise QUIT YOUR WHINING.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Jim,

The ineligible receiver rules apply on any forward pass regardless of the pass crossing the line of scrimmage so a player is ineligible prior to a legal forward pass when:
    1. the player advances beyond his line of scrimmage (los) after losing contact with an opponent at the los.
    2. the player loses contact with an opponent downfield after the initial charge and then continues to advance or move laterally.
    3. moves downfield without contacting an opponent at the los.

The refs use the 1-yard beyond the los prior to the pass as a touchstone.

Once the ball leaves the passer's hand, the ineligible receivers can advance, but can't block or contact a defensive player until the ball is touched by a player from either team. If they do, it is PI.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

If the retarded NBA can address the issue of flopping, the NFL should do something about the pass interference rules. A lot of receivers seem more intent on doing whatever is necessary to draw a yellow flag than actually attempt to catch the ball.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I agree with the poster.  And the Colts are complicit in that every time they get a PI call, they go no huddle and start heaving it deep.  Maybe they didn't INVENT the sytem, but they ASKED for it, and take advantage of it.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogggg. Show underdogggg's posts

If Rex Ryan tries to call the NFL out on this one Polian will have him crushed like a cokkroach. A big fat cokkroach!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Here is the Key play of the game.

Sections
Shortcuts