will ridingwiththeking ever stop talking about how the patriots need to run the ball even though the patriots dont have a good running game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

will ridingwiththe...

BenJarvus Green-Ellis/Kevin Faulk/Stevan Ridley -- Running backs can't get it going on the ground, combining for 20 yards on 18 rushes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Re: will ridingwiththeking ever stop talking about how the patriots need to run the ball even though the patriots dont have a...

I thought part of the reason was that BJGE was hurt. He certainly looked off his game to me. I thought he was hesitant and didn't get the yardage that he usually gets. Hopefully, he heals up soon because I still believe that we can have a respectable running game.

Balance on offense is important, especially in the playoffs. So I think theking is right. We need to work on the run game.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Re: will ridingwiththeking ever stop talking about how the patriots need to run the ball even though the patriots dont have a...

They can run the ball.

Remember, Vollmer and Solder have been hurt, Waters got hurt on the first play of the game last night, and BJGE has been battling a toe injury for weeks.

Besides, it's not how effectively you run it, it's how much you run it to keep the opposing defense honest.

I'll once again cite the 2003 Pats, who averaged 3.4 YPC for the season and yet still ran it about 48% of the time, which kept opposing defenses honest and made Brady's play-action fakes effective.

You still need to try to achieve balance offensively.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Ha! Once Rusty gets an idea, there's no letting go, no matter what the facts . . . 

But in fairness to Russ, the Pats offense still lacks diversity, and having a better running game or having a better deep passing game (or both) would certainly help.  Still, this team will continue to live or die with the short pass because that's what it does best.  The key is mixing in enough other things to force defenses to have to think a bit.  I think the fact that the Pats ran so much during the last Jets game probably helped them in this game.  The Jets had to worry about run this time, even if the Pats used it only sparingly. They certainly were prepared to shut down our running game (as the results show), but that focus on the run may have limited their ability to cover our short passing game. Certainly, they had a tough time figuring out what to do with Gronk. 

Russ's attacks on Brady seem unwarranted to me.  Brady has, at times, looked confused--but I think he suffers from a shortage of decent receivers and an offense that every defense knows is going to pass most of the time.  Brady was excellent in the second half last night and a big reason for us winning the game. He's still the best QB in the game.  

On the defense--Rusty will tell you they're great.  They're not.  They are playing better, and the strong pass rush last night was a huge leap in the right direction, but they are still giving up far too many passing yards--even against bad QBs having off nights like Sanchez was yesterday. Yes, Rusty is right that in the end points are all that count, but giving up lots of yards is not as meaningless as Rusty tries to tell everyone.  When you give up yards, you create more chances for your opponents to get into scoring position and that will tend to translate into more points. The Pats defense has been relatively good in the red zone and also pretty good at getting turnovers--and (much like last year) those positives keep it in games.  But the weak pass coverage is still a concern when we face top passing offenses.  What was nice to see last night was the LBs stepping it up in coverage. While our DBs have not been stellar, some of the problems in pass coverage the past few games have really been the fault of the the LBs.  I thought the LBs covered much better last night.  Also, some of those no-name DBs seemed to be close to their receivers . . . who knows, maybe BB has found some diamonds in the rough . . . we'll have to watch over the next few weeks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

No, but remember the Jet got really burned by the run the game before? I have no doubt they tried to take away he run this time.

They sacrificed some deep coverage and some pressure on Brady in exchange (you cannot get something for nothing)

I think that is the main reason they did not have as much success running and I am glad they did not force it more than they did. So there was an adjustment there in the playcalling!

SO what the King shoud say is that was one of the first times another team went away from the "PATRIOTS BLUEPRINT" this year and becasue or that a heavily pass offense was appropriate. Actually, the few shots down the field they took I think opened up  the short passing game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

No. He will never stop. Idiots never stop being idiots.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In Response to Re: will ridingwiththeking ever stop talking about how the patriots need to run the ball even though the patriots dont have a good running game?:
    [QUOTE]Ha! Once Rusty gets an idea, there's no letting go, no matter what the facts . . .  But in fairness to Russ, the Pats offense still lacks diversity, and having a better running game or having a better deep passing game (or both) would certainly help.  Still, this team will continue to live or die with the short pass because that's what it does best.  The key is mixing in enough other things to force defenses to have to think a bit.  I think the fact that the Pats ran so much during the last Jets game probably helped them in this game.  The Jets had to worry about run this time, even if the Pats used it only sparingly. They certainly were prepared to shut down our running game (as the results show), but that focus on the run may have limited their ability to cover our short passing game. Certainly, they had a tough time figuring out what to do with Gronk.  Russ's attacks on Brady seem unwarranted to me.  Brady has, at times, looked confused--but I think he suffers from a shortage of decent receivers and an offense that every defense knows is going to pass most of the time.  Brady was excellent in the second half last night and a big reason for us winning the game. He's still the best QB in the game.   On the defense--Rusty will tell you they're great.  They're not.  They are playing better, and the strong pass rush last night was a huge leap in the right direction, but they are still giving up far too many passing yards--even against bad QBs having off nights like Sanchez was yesterday. Yes, Rusty is right that in the end points are all that count, but giving up lots of yards is not as meaningless as Rusty tries to tell everyone.  When you give up yards, you create more chances for your opponents to get into scoring position and that will tend to translate into more points. The Pats defense has been relatively good in the red zone and also pretty good at getting turnovers--and (much like last year) those positives keep it in games.  But the weak pass coverage is still a concern when we face top passing offenses.  What was nice to see last night was the LBs stepping it up in coverage. While our DBs have not been stellar, some of the problems in pass coverage the past few games have really been the fault of the the LBs.  I thought the LBs covered much better last night.  Also, some of those no-name DBs seemed to be close to their receivers . . . who knows, maybe BB has found some diamonds in the rough . . . we'll have to watch over the next few weeks.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Someone who saw what I saw..I think the Jets started the game at least taking away the run and the short pass , the long shots down the field and ochos catch helped open things up a bit..wish they exploited the longer pass a bit more last night..but all things given am very happy the OC noticed the Jets were doing something different and at least did not force too many runs knowing there was not much to gain by running..the Jets were already playing 'honest' with that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

The Pats can run the ball, it just shouldnt be the main focus.  They just went thru a brutal schedule against some really good defenses so can't expect them to run all day. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In Response to Re: will ridingwiththeking ever stop talking about how the patriots need to run the ball even though the patriots dont have a good running game?:
    [QUOTE]  What was nice to see last night was the LBs stepping it up in coverage. While our DBs have not been stellar, some of the problems in pass coverage the past few games have really been the fault of the the LBs.  I thought the LBs covered much better last night.  Also, some of those no-name DBs seemed to be close to their receivers . . . who knows, maybe BB has found some diamonds in the rough . . . we'll have to watch over the next few weeks.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Once again..the Patriots let up on the run defense a bit last night in exchange for a little better coverage and a better pass rush. (The PAtriots can shut down anybodies running game if they choose) Part of this was the LB's priorities.

I think the part about the pass rush and the LB's looking for pass  worked out pretty well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: will ridingwiththeking ever stop talking about how the patriots need to run the ball even though the patriots dont have a good running game? : Once again..the Patriots let up on the run defense a bit last night in exchange for a little better coverage and a better pass rush. (The PAtriots can shut down anybodies running game if they choose) Part of this was the LB's priorities. I think the part about the pass rush and the LB's looking for pass  worked out pretty well.
    Posted by patsbandwagonsince76[/QUOTE]

The coaching staff deserves some credit too. Honestly, I thought the Jets would win this game given the way the Pats have played recently and also the past two years' games in the Meadowlands where the crowd noise and energy has seemed to leave the Pats rattled.  But the coaches produced a nice game plan that gave the Jets looks they weren't expecting on both offense and defense. Given the number of injuries and therefore the limited talent to work with, the coaches did an extremely good job.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

OK lets break down the drives:

Pass   Run   Result

5        3       FG
    3        3       FG
    3        0       Punt
    2        1       Punt
    2        0       Fumble
    6        0       TD
    2        1       Punt
    2        1       Punt
    3        0       FG
    3        5       TD
    6        6       TD

Ok so on drives they had a lower then a 2:1 pass to run ratio they had 2 TD's and 2 FG's with no punts. When they had a 2:1 ratio or higher they had 1 TD, 1 FG, 4 punts, and a fumble. The other important thing to note is on those last 2 drives the Pats took a total of 11:50 off the clock which is a back breaker and you could see Sanchez started to panic after that last scoring drive because he had no time left to work with.

If you watched the game when they mixed up the run and disguised it well in the second half and it greatly opened up their passing game. The LB's moved up in the box, uncluttered the middle of the field and the S's were forced out of zone and bit on play action a lot.

The ypc stunk in the first half but the running game was still very affective. It did what it needed to do which was prevent the Jets from clogging passing lanes and slowing down the pass rush. That's what a more balanced attack does. BTW a balanced attack doesn't mean a straight 50% run to pass it means that you mix in running plays to keep defenses honest and you have to properly disguise the run (see the Woodhead and Faulk runs vs the Ridley and BJGE packages).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

the only reason the pats won was because the pats ran the ball so effectively. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

[QUOTE]No. He will never stop. Idiots never stop being idiots.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

wow you couldnt have said it better yourself...  oh wait... hahahahaha troll!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

[QUOTE]the only reason the pats won was because the pats ran the ball so effectively. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

hey troll...lets check oursleves here....

remember when you an i had that conversation about gomer being all done and the colts on their way down tha back side of the hill... what that was like almost 2 years ago...

how does it feel to be totally irrellavant?? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

What a 2007 bandwagon fan you are! You need to run the ball, idiot! You can't just air it out! You look at what the Pats did when they just passed, they were terrible! It wasn't until the Pats got Woody going that they started moving on offense. Jesus, how long have you been watching football that you don't know that you need an effective running game to go far in the playoffs?!!! Especially when you play in Mass, you *$$. 

Soon we'll get 20 MPH winds and snow storms, Brady won't be able to pass in that type of condition. You'll need to run the ball! If it's not working, WORK ON IT right now! Don't just give up on it because it's not going well. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

I still think the Pat's can run the ball effectively...in spots.  In the 4th quarter, they went to the hurry up and mixed some run with pass plays...and it worked.  Kept the clock moving, kept the Jet's D on the field and moved the chains.  I thought that was a nice call with the change of pace, whether that was Brady or whomever.  But, let's be realistic, this game was won because of the turnovers, the Pat's got them and the Jet's didn't.  There was a thread last week that minimized the impact of turnovers - garbage!!  Also, still on the realistic topic - Sanchez is not "elite", he's not Ben or Eli.  Great win but still a ton of work to do.  Go Pat's!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Don't be a bunch of jackholes your whole lives, I know you'd like to prove Rusty wrong but the Jets have been one of the best run stuffing teams in the league for a few years now.  Just because the run game isn't overly effective doesn't mean you go away from it. Just the threat of a run allows Tom Brady to tee off in the passing game.  I know this thread is started and infested by trolls but really...

We killed the Jets in the first game with the run, you don't think they made a conscious effort to stop the run this game?  Oh yeah and we won this game convincingly btw... get a grip.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Okay, there goes the neighborhood.  He's awake!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

You have to run the ball to keep the defense honest.  That's Football 101.  I even sat there going "Man our running game isn't looking hot tonight but I'm glad we are still running it."  But go ahead and keep thinking that running the spread in shotgun against 7 DBs will work all the time.  Certainly looked great when Brady had the intentional grounding for a safety.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Somedays we run well, some days not so much -
    A lot depends on the team and scheme against us.
    but you still have to show the run.

I did not understand why Danny was in there
    near our goal line -altho the Olinman let
    some one by - he is too small in taht situation
    ( only my opinion)

I like the spread most in a no huddle.
     and we catch them with run defenders
    Brady knows what he is going to get
    and gets into a rythm - keeps them guessing
    and gets them tired

We had some new pass routes that
       are effective against MTM -