will ridingwiththeking ever stop talking about how the patriots need to run the ball even though the patriots dont have a good running game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: will ridingwiththeking ever stop talking about how the patriots need to run the ball even though the patriots dont have a...

In Response to Re: will ridingwiththeking ever stop talking about how the patriots need to run the ball even though the patriots dont have a good running game?:
    [QUOTE]OK lets break down the drives: Pass   Run   Result 5        3       FG 3        3       FG 3        0       Punt 2        1       Punt 2        0       Fumble 6        0       TD 2        1       Punt 2        1       Punt 3        0       FG 3        5       TD 6        6       TD Ok so on drives they had a lower then a 2:1 pass to run ratio they had 2 TD's and 2 FG's with no punts. When they had a 2:1 ratio or higher they had 1 TD, 1 FG, 4 punts, and a fumble. The other important thing to note is on those last 2 drives the Pats took a total of 11:50 off the clock which is a back breaker and you could see Sanchez started to panic after that last scoring drive because he had no time left to work with. If you watched the game when they mixed up the run and disguised it well in the second half and it greatly opened up their passing game. The LB's moved up in the box, uncluttered the middle of the field and the S's were forced out of zone and bit on play action a lot. The ypc stunk in the first half but the running game was still very affective. It did what it needed to do which was prevent the Jets from clogging passing lanes and slowing down the pass rush. That's what a more balanced attack does. BTW a balanced attack doesn't mean a straight 50% run to pass it means that you mix in running plays to keep defenses honest and you have to properly disguise the run (see the Woodhead and Faulk runs vs the Ridley and BJGE packages).
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Great post that sums it all up

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: will ridingwiththeking ever stop talking about how the patriots need to run the ball even though the patriots dont have a...

In Response to Re: will ridingwiththeking ever stop talking about how the patriots need to run the ball even though the patriots dont have a good running game?:
    [QUOTE]It doesn't take a genius to realize that to have an effective run game you must actually commit to it.  It opens up the offense and makes what you're trying to do less predictable.  The Pats have enough talent to run the ball, they just choose not to most times in lieu of the shotgun spread.  Since when is it a bad thing to control the clock?  I'm not saying become run happy, it would just be nice to see better balance.  It's hard to knit pick a win, I understand.  But to discount the importance of the run since the team is winning ignores the bigger picture.  Half the purpose of the run game is to keep the defense honest, even if you're not having initial success.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

We have a winner.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]When I saw him throw the ball (with too much air under it) to Branch with Wilson underneath, I immediately thought: "January playoff loss, set screen to BJGE" Or last week on 2nd and 3 staring down Gronk. Or... lol Considering that was Brady's WORST healthy playoff game of his career last year (at home), I don't want to see these decisions over and over and over every week. Nice job to improve, but can we please get a 4 qtr Brady back? Pretty please? So, your logic is: 1. The name on the jersey matters. Brady />BJGE, so we shouldn't run much. 2. Brady when he's not spreading it around is more lethal than the Brady that does. 3. Establishing a run is overrated. Who cares if using a spread in the tight red zone area is tough, I really like to watch Brady make tough throws 50+% of the time.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

What I'm saying is that I trust BB and Brady to manage the game better than my or your second guessing can. I'm saying BB would be an idiot to take the ball away from the first ballot Hall of Fame, reigning MVP, just voted best player in the game, second rated passer in the league this year, in favor of handing it off to a mediocre run game. The run game is there merely to enhance the prospects of the great weapon succeeding. And I trust BB and Brady to have a million times more of a clue than you to know how much and when to use the second choice to enhance the first.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: will ridingwiththeking ever stop talking about how the patriots need to run the ball even though the patriots dont have a good running game? : Let me ask you this..was the Brady in the second half last night the same Brady that played in the first half?
    Posted by Evil2012[/QUOTE]

It seems clear he was better in the second half. I suspect you think this proves something.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Wasn't the argument all along that Brady was the reason we were losing? That if he was in the shotgun spread and we didn't run much...we'd lose?

Pretty sure this is what happened last night (correct me if I'm wrong)..we let our Hall of Fame QB throw the ball 39 or so times (60% or more of the time in shotgun)...he completed 25 or so of them, for 325 yards, 3 td's and no picks.
    Do you think NY would of complained if they got that? Christ did anyone watch Sanchez? They had no problem running it, and look what happened to them. You need a guy like Brady...he is the difference.

Now as much as I'd like to have them "ground and pound it", it appears like they may not be all that good at that aspect of the game. When your two "ground and pound" backs carry thirteen times for 15 yards...it's not effective.

Would we be better if we could run it effectively when we needed it? Hell yeah, a balanced offense is the best offense you can have, but it doesn't appear as if we can do that. It's not like Belichick got dumb overnight - he would love to run it more - unfortunately it looks like they can't count on it.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Yes. Run the ball to get into 2nd and 3rd and longs. Clever idea. Only time they ran the all with any effectiveness was the hurry up offense because the Jets couldn't change players. Other than that that they blew fat balls at running. Two games in a row the run blocking was atrocious and they should run more? Start getting more than 2 yards a carry and multiple rush attempts for losses. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

Obviously a cage match needs to be scheduled between the king and the babe. The loser has to go bar hopping in Charlestown and Southie wearing a Jets Sanchez game jersey

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]61 yards by Greene is no problem running it?  Their whole D is based on getting Greene going. They didn't. On one drive, Wilfork was being rested, they put him back in and all was well again. When your offensive identity is to pound the rock and you don't, we won that battle.

Dude you can't be a human being, you just can't be. You're just some software program designed by Boston.com to keep these threads going...you have to be.

I can see the engineers now...we need to develop something that can argue with everyone and never have that program admit when they're wrong....yes, yes!! Brilliant! Let's do it! AAAAnnnd we can also make this program try to statistically bend any argument in it's favor. And we might want to have this program show a dislike to any other statistical evidence that will prove it wrong.
    We'll call it Rusty Random Access Memory

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I didn't read the thread, but I will answer your question:

No . . .   he will not.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

BJGE is Maroney Lite.  That said it tuff to run when the D is putting 9 guys in the box.  The new tactic is to jam our WR's.

News flash, the Hurry up spread with one back (Woodhead) gashed the Jets.  It should be used more often.  Both the Pass and run were very effective from that formation and philosophy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: will ridingwiththeking ever stop talking about how the patriots need to run the ball even though the patriots dont have a good running game? : Get to the office at 9 AM.  Been awake since 7. Please try to discuss in a mature fashion.

You have got to be kidding me, you call people names.  Mature??   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: will ridingwiththeking ever stop talking about how the patriots need to run the ball even though the patriots dont have a good running game? : Dude you can't be a human being, you just can't be. You're just some software program designed by Boston.com to keep these threads going...you have to be. I can see the engineers now...we need to develop something that can argue with everyone and never have that program admit when they're wrong....yes, yes!! Brilliant! Let's do it! AAAAnnnd we can also make this program try to statistically bend any argument in it's favor. And we might want to have this program show a dislike to any other statistical evidence that will prove it wrong. We'll call it Rusty Random Access Memory
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Or.....  he could just be a jets' troll.

He somehow gets to bash BB and Brady without many here putting up the slightest fight.

He is either the cleverest troll ever, or a complete idiot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]I "suspect" it proves that for a straight month his play in the first half has been subpar. lol What a tool.

I "suspect" even the dumbest of fans would be grateful to have the second rated QB in the league who is on pace to throw the 5th most TDs in NFL history. But not you. To you he is the problem.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: will ridingwiththeking ever stop talking about how the patriots need to run the ball even though the patriots dont have a good running game? : The second grade logic that if at first you don't suceed then try try again regarding the run game is inappropriate. Coaches and players game plan and pool information constantly throughout the game to determine what plays will work. The things that work they come back to and the things that don't they avoid. As the D adjusts against them and game circumstances change those choices change and change back again. Any coach in the NFL is going to try to use their greatest asset as much as they can. Nobody in the NFL is going to take the ball away from Brady and give it to Benny very much of the time. BB is the best coach in the business and why you folks keep second guessing him is a mystery.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Second grade logic?  I don't think so, but you're entitled to your opinion.  I'm not going to engage you in a drawn out argument, but if you don't agree that sticking to the running game opens up play action and keeps teams from trying to key on your passing game, then I think we'll agree to disagree.  More balance would make Brady's job much easier in my opinion, and would help them keep the other team's offense on the bench.     

When it has really mattered (playoffs) the Pats have had had little success sustaining a run game.  They put the whole load on Brady and look where it got them. The Pats drafted two running backs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and their lead back is a straight ahead pounder.  They clearly put some value on being able to run the ball.  If you love the shotgun spread and think it's great when they pass on 3rd and 3 and stop the clock on every incompletion, then again, we'll agree to disagree. 

You like to call out everyone who disagrees with you.  Fine, please do.  But it's a fan forum so you should just accept that some of the the fellas who like to talk football disagree with what they're seeing a lot of the time from the OC on playcalling.  Nothing personal against you, so keep your comments on the up and up people would be more receptive to your arguments.  Or lash out, no bother to me.     

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTPatsFan17. Show CTPatsFan17's posts

Wow.  You guys are way too intense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: will ridingwiththeking ever stop talking about how the patriots need to run the ball even though the patriots dont have a good running game? : Why didnt' you take the bet? Tell everyone here WHY you didn't take the bet I offered you. I set it up to actually favor your vehement disagreement to the premise. 1. You would have won, which is why I set it up that way, to show that stats don't tell all. 2. You didn't take the bet for a reason. I know what it is, but I want you to admit it.

3.  Because you welsh on your bets.  Apologies to any people from Wales, but there is a reason they call it that.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: will ridingwiththeking ever stop talking about how the patriots need to run the ball even though the patriots dont have a good running game? : The key to the second half last night was Brady making pass/run adjustments at the line according to what the Jets were showing. Especially in that clock eating drive in the 4th. It's something he hadn't been doing well the last couple of games. He looked more comfortable under center than he has before too.
    Posted by Evil2012[/QUOTE]

Adjusments! Yes. You hit it on the nose.

Thank god the PAtriots don't listen to anyone on this message board that thinks they always need to run more or they always need to pass more.

Adjusting to what the other team is doing and not holding on too much to a specific game plan if it is not working is key.

When faced with  the so called  "Patriots Blueprint" , agains a good Defense, they sometimes don't go far enough to adjust (they have not solved that yet)...but in general I was really pleased with the adjustments made in the Jets game.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts