Will Shane Vereen be worth while?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Will Shane Vereen be worth while?

In Response to Re: Will Shane Vereen be worth while?:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Will Shane Vereen be worth while?": I disagree, I think the prototypical 6-2 220lb lead back has become the exception. Look at the top 5 leading rushers last year, 4 of the top 5 were around Vereen's size, Frank Gore, Leasean McCoy, Jones Drew, and Ray Rice. My feeling is that with the relatively easy passing rules coaches would rather have a back that can be a dual threat and many of those guys I listed are exactly that. If you can do two things well you will see the field more than a guy who can only do one well, and in turn get the rushes.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]
    Interesting points. I think what is most interesting is that right now we have that many running backs - at that height - at the top of the rushing charts. I think what all those runners have in common (aside from their height), is their power - these guys that you mentioned are all powerful runners (despite their size)...they're like bowling balls.

For Vareen to be anything other than a third down type (and there's nothing wrong in that) he'd have to demonstrate the ability to break tackles and hold onto the football. At the beginning of the pre season, it looked like he went down on first contact way too easily - then when he finally did get some caries late in the year it looked like he improved.

You're absolutely right though...these guys will be on the field more if they can catch and be more dynamic. I hope Vareen can be all of that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Shane Vereen be worth while? : Interesting points. I think what is most interesting is that right now we have that many running backs - at that height - at the top of the rushing charts. I think what all those runners have in common (aside from their height), is their power - these guys that you mentioned are all powerful runners (despite their size)...they're like bowling balls.   For Vareen to be anything other than a third down type (and there's nothing wrong in that) he'd have to demonstrate the ability to break tackles and hold onto the football. At the beginning of the pre season, it looked like he went down on first contact way too easily - then when he finally did get some caries late in the year it looked like he improved. You're absolutely right though...these guys will be on the field more if they can catch and be more dynamic. I hope Vareen can be all of that.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

You may be right, I just hate to think that we spent a 2nd round pick
    on a 3rd down back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Shane Vereen be worth while? : You may be right, I just hate to think that we spent a 2nd round pick on a 3rd down back.
    Posted by MoreRings[/QUOTE]
    Kevin Faulk was a second round pick... So...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I really hope both Vareen & Ridley see a lot of action this year. They just haven't played quite enough to truly know just how good they (might) be. They need real game time. Of course Ridley saw more action, and showed he can be very effective. Personally, I think they can correct the fumbling issue. Vareen hasn't seen hardly any time, so until he does, I can't see how anyone can really say what role he will play or how effective he will be. He got drafted early for a reason....let's hope we see what that reason is this year....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Shane Vereen be worth while? : Kevin Faulk was a second round pick... So...
    Posted by oh-my-beard[/QUOTE]

Good point.  Although Faulk did run the ball more in his younger days.

I believe he lead the team in carries at aleast one year.

I just don't think its smart to target 3rd down running backs in
    the 2nd round.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

I need to ask all the GM wanna be's,,,,,and ill prefice this with my thinking that Vareen and ridley are both 3 down backs...and we even have the midget woohead for an occasional run or 2.....

use your extertise and tell me WHAT MAKES UP A 3 DOWN BACK that vareen and ridley dont have???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]I need to ask all the GM wanna be's,,,,,and ill prefice this with my thinking that Vareen and ridley are both 3 down backs...and we even have the midget woohead for an occasional run or 2..... use your extertise and tell me WHAT MAKES UP A 3 DOWN BACK that vareen and ridley dont have???
    Posted by fishers5[/QUOTE]

They could both be 3rd down guys, hopefully Ridley can carry the load, run
    between the tackles and get 20-25 carries a game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Yes, both Ridley and Vereen can be 3 down backs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I hate to be so simplistic, but until he comes to camp and shows he has it he's just another 2nd round pick with a lot to prove. After an injury-riddled year of learning on the job and a whole offseason, I wouldn't be surprised if he's a pretty good contributor, along with Ridley.  In reality, it would have been nice for him to burst on the scene last year, but the Pats were fine without him.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]A couple things worry me about him...one, he's small and two, he spent basically his entire rookie season injured. Now maybe the injury thing is just a fluke or even maybe he wasn't that injured, but just buried on the depth chart, but the size thing will always be there. Early in the pre season he looked like a guy that was going down on contact way too easily - in his brief regular season action he looked like he was running stronger. I'm hoping he'll have some of the success that some of the smaller backs are having, like Rice and Drew, but he may end up being more in line as a Kevin Faulk type of roll. They drafted him in the second round for a reason - because he has talent - but second round picks are no lock to become something special. I'm hoping he turns into something special...I'd feel much better if he could make it through a season healthy and start showing something. 
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Umm, Ray Rice is 5'8", 212 lbs
    Vereen is 5'9", 205 lbs.

I figure if he can perform at 3/4 the level of Rice, I'd be pretty happy.

But, like several other players, he's on the bubble.  Getting tired of holding onto players for 3+ years without productivity.

Sections
Shortcuts