Will Smith still rehabbing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Will Smith still rehabbing

Well it sounds like Smith will start the year on PuP. It's a bit disturbing as many were counting on him to add to the pass rush and spell Nink and Jones. So now the question is not only when Smith will help but if he can fully recover as that's now an unknown. It makes me a bit worried considering the edge pass rusher they got in the draft is raw enough BB himself said that he's a pick for 15' and they didn't grab an edge rusher via FA this year (short of Smith). Hope this works but I always hate the, lets put all the eggs into the aging vet still recovering from a major injury basket. Here's hoping Buchanan can be ready.

Will Smith - DL - Patriots

New Patriots DE Will Smith is still rehabbing from the torn ACL he suffered last August.
    "I think he'll be competitive, but we'll have to see how he rehabs from the injury," were the words of coach Bill Belichick. "But we're optimistic that he'll be on the field and be able to compete at some point. He's not ready right now, but I think he will be." Smith will have to have a healthy and productive camp to guarantee his roster spot as a reserve pass rusher.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2777/will-smith" rel="nofollow">http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2777/will-smith

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Will Smith still rehabbing

ACL is a 9-12 month rehab...he will be ready once the seasons starts IMO

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I read that earlier and my first thought was they signed him without so much as a work out or medical.

Really?

Easly is also not ready to go?

I just don't understand their affinity for pup'd and IR's players.

Guess they got money to burn.

"The worse New England has gotten on defense, the better Brady has been forced to become -- with 109 touchdowns, 20 interceptions and a 39-9 record the past three seasons. "

CLARK JUDGE______7/13/13_____________________________________

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Well it sounds like Smith will start the year on PuP.

He very well could, but that's not how I interpreted that quote from coach Belichick.  He is on the older side, but given when he suffered the injury and the average rehab time I don't think it's unreasonable that he could be ready by the start of the season (or at the very least early enough that it isn't worth PuP'ing him).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

Well it sounds like Smith will start the year on PuP.

[/QUOTE]

He very well could, but that's not how I interpreted that quote from coach Belichick.  He is on the older side, but given when he suffered the injury and the average rehab time I don't think it's unreasonable that he could be ready by the start of the season (or at the very least early enough that it isn't worth PuP'ing him).

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

The thing is, when a players hurt BB usual says something to the like of "we'll evaluate him in camp". When BB makes a statement like "But we're optimistic that he'll be on the field and be able to compete at some point" the only times I've heard him say that were Fanene and Gronk and we both know how those turned out. It does have me concerned. I hope he's ready by the start of the season but given age and the injury if he's still rehabbing and we aren't hearing the same about Kelly makes me wonder if there is a reason.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well I think the real concern is we will have three guys coming off acl injuries on our defensive line heading into next season (Easley, Kelly, Smth) and one guy coming off an Achilles' tendon tear...another coming off heart surgery too. Out of that list three of them are over 32 years old. Yet we spent our second round pick on a quarterback...makes perfect sense.

We are all irrational, spoiled fans.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well I think the real concern is we will have three guys coming off acl injuries on our defensive line heading into next season (Easley, Kelly, Smth) and one guy coming off an Achilles' tendon tear...another coming off heart surgery too. Out of that list three of them are over 32 years old. Yet we spent our second round pick on a quarterback...makes perfect sense.

[/QUOTE]

Smith is not a DT, dummy.  The club also has Siliga and Chris Jones under contract with a year under their belt.  Splitting reps instead of taking up almost  all of them will help them as well as the older players looking to come back when they can.

Brady choking it down every January like clockwork is what doesn't make sense.  It's been years. Hence, why a QB was drafted.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

He was drafted to replace Mallet, the first round talent who no one wanted and will walk away with no compensation, as in another wasted pick.

How many has he wasted on QB's now?

BB fail

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

Will Smith sounds like another Adrian Wilson.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

ACL is 6-9 months so later this summer. Are you really looking to BB to give a clear picture on medicals? Same time frame on Easley and Kelly and Vince. 

What people have to understand on back-up QBs unless you want to do a 'suck for luck' you have to draft a QB once every four years - sometimes you luck out on a UDFA but mostly you have to use a draft pick. If you don't do that you end up having $3+M tied up in a veteran back-up which is $2+M you do not have to spend on resigning current players or picking up quality FAs - so ... next year would you rather see your starting safety walk when some team offers 7M/yr or have the extra cap space to step up to the plate. That is what JG pick is all about.

And the other side of that is about 10% of the players picked after #50 have an immediate impact on their team and that number probably goes down to 5% for super bowl contenders so the chance of actually getting someone at #62 that would have any effect on this coming year was pretty minimal - again, I would rather have the extra $2M for free agents or new contracts next year than a peripheral player this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Smith is not a DT, dummy.  The club also has Siliga and Chris Jones under contract with a year under their belt.  Splitting reps instead of taking up almost  all of them will help them as well as the older players looking to come back when they can.

Brady choking it down every January like clockwork is what doesn't make sense.  It's been years. Hence, why a QB was drafted.

[/QUOTE]

Siliga and jones. Are you serious? They are marginal at best. Average would be a career year for them. Sorry bro. Next try...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Where in his post did he state Smith was a DT?  and you are calling someone else a Dummy?  Time off has not changed you I see.....smh

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

He was drafted to replace Mallet, the first round talent who no one wanted and will walk away with no compensation, as in another wasted pick.

BB fail

You are clueless.  The Falcons drafted Schaub in the 3rd round when they had Vick.  The Broncos drafted Osweiler in the 2nd when they had Manning.  The Packers drafted Brian Brohm in the 2nd when they had Rodgers who they drafted in the 1st when they had Favre. The Eagles drafted Kolb in the 2nd when they had McNabb.  The Chargers drafted Whitehurst in the 3rd when they had Rivers.  There are probably more examples.  Teams draft QBs with high round picks even when they have established starters all the time. Learn the game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

BB fail

[/QUOTE]

You are clueless.  The Falcons drafted Schaub in the 3rd round when they had Vick.  The Broncos drafted Osweiler in the 2nd when they had Manning.  The Packers drafted Brian Brohm in the 2nd round when they had Rodgers who they drafted in the 1st when they had Favre. The Eagles drafted Kolb in the 2nd round when they had McNabb.  The Chargers drafted Whitehurst in the 3rd when they had Rivers.  There are probably more examples.  Teams draft QBs with high round picks even when they have established starters all the time. Learn the game.

[/QUOTE]

No no.  BB is the worst.  You can't tell him or some of his comrades (mthurl and TFB12 to name a couple) otherwise.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mia76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And the other side of that is about 10% of the players picked after #50 have an immediate impact on their team and that number probably goes down to 5% for super bowl contenders so the chance of actually getting someone at #62 that would have any effect on this coming year was pretty minimal - again, I would rather have the extra $2M for free agents or new contracts next year than a peripheral player this year.

[/QUOTE]

Unless it's in an area where there isn't a lot of depth. Ie, Collins came in right away, Vollmer came in right away, Dobson came in right away. They aren't fully set at SS, TE, LB, or rush DE so any of those 4 positions anyone drafted at #62 might have helped out this year. So you can't just make a clear cut statement like that without defining the position those players are taken for and the teams current depth at those positions. I'm curious though where do those numbers come from. They sound a bit off.

Also as far as ACL's, Smith is an aging player which means usually longer recovery times and most ACL's are 9-12 months, where did you get 6-9? There is no telling if he will recover yet because of the aging player bit. As you get older tendons take longer to heal and don't always fully recover like when you are younger. AP, Welker, and even Brady are more the exceptions than the rules and how many players have torn ACL's and been back ready to play within that 12 month period since those guys?

Listen I really hope he comes back quick and is recovered but what if he isn't? By BB's quote it doesn't sound like it's 6-9 months, sounds more like a "we don't have a time line yet we'll have to evaluate him later" type of deal.

[object HTMLDivElement]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

what does Mallett or any back up QB have to do with signing Smith and if he is ready?

what does Brady have to do with SMith and if he will be ready

BB in his presser when he mentioned Smith was actually OPTIMISTIC with Smith's rehab, not pessimistic...

why do Pats fans take a nice signing that could help the team at a no risk salary as pessimistic? This is in no way similar to AWilson. AWilson was showing signs of drop off with the Cards. He came to NE and in camp looked really bad. WSmith was injured. Prior to injury, he was playing really well. AWilson was afforded a contract that was based on past reputation. WSmith was afforded a contract based on the vet minimum.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

why do Pats fans take a nice signing that could help the team at a no risk salary as pessimistic? This is in no way similar to AWilson. AWilson was showing signs of drop off with the Cards. He came to NE and in camp looked really bad. WSmith was injured. Prior to injury, he was playing really well. AWilson was afforded a contract that was based on past reputation. WSmith was afforded a contract based on the vet minimum.

[/QUOTE]

It's more that they put their eggs into that basket and the shadow lurks that if he isn't ready or doesn't come back that both Jones and Nink will be puddles of goo from playing 95% snaps again this year. To me that's a legit concern and one the Pats could have addressed. The contract he got is great but there is a reason we got him for league min and as of right now it might be because other teams (including the Pats) don't know if he'll be ready to go in 3 months. But, reading those comments suggests an air of doubt that they don't know when or if he'll be ready.

[object HTMLDivElement]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Talk about choking it down....when was the last time you pleasured yourself to your BB wall poster?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I'm more concerned on where Vince Wilfork is in his recovery.  ACL/MCL is one of those areas where it doesn't matter how much work you put in the weight room, your ligaments can only be so strong.  The heavier you are, the more pressure you exert on them, the more likely they are to be damaged.  It's one of the reasons why many surgeons will deny knee replacements to very obese people.  Not much sense in replacing a knee you are only going to blow out again shortly thereafter. 

350lbs before breakfast is a whole lot of weight to place on a weakened ligament.  So it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see him until after the bi-week. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

BB fail

[/QUOTE]

You are clueless.  The Falcons drafted Schaub in the 3rd round when they had Vick.  The Broncos drafted Osweiler in the 2nd when they had Manning.  The Packers drafted Brian Brohm in the 2nd when they had Rodgers who they drafted in the 1st when they had Favre. The Eagles drafted Kolb in the 2nd when they had McNabb.  The Chargers drafted Whitehurst in the 3rd when they had Rivers.  There are probably more examples.  Teams draft QBs with high round picks even when they have established starters all the time. Learn the game.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].       Yes yes. And. The pats drafted.  mallet and O Connell. In the third. How'd they work out?  Waste with no compensation.  The only success they've had at all is with late rounders and udfa's.  They are replacing a third with a second,  whose contract  ends when TB's does.   There was talent later and those guys tied to the Pats.   Can't tell me they couldn't have taken one in the third and  an impact player in the second.  Instead they get  more o linemen then they have room for. Wasted picks.  And don't act like you liked the draft because  you would be lying  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who had heart surgery?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who had heart surgery?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Armstead. He needed surgery because of the infection. The infection was thought to be caused because of the condition with his heart.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

For what it's worth, ACL procedures are fairly routine this days. Look at guys like Welker, Peterson, and countless other athletes who have injured ACLs and come back and played at a high level. 

I'm not entirely sure of the specifics of the procedure but I have seen doctors explain that modern ACL reconstructions provide greater stability than the natural ACL that we're born with. I've heard other doctors mention that it wouldn't surprise them to see preventative ACL surgeries, possibly within only a number of decades from now.

I'm not worried about our ACL guys, nor am I worried about Armstead. Vince and his achilles is the most concerning. 

Let's go Pats!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

We still have 2 months until training camp. I'd like to think Guys like Smith and Easley are rehabbing but on schedule. Gronk..That may be a different story because he had his injury mid season. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.

Muzz- The only guy I knew of that had Heart surgery was Armstead last year. He missed all of last year because of an infection following the surgery. It was real weird stuff.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Yes yes. And. The pats drafted.  mallet and O Connell. In the third. How'd they work out?  Waste with no compensation.  The only success they've had at all is with late rounders and udfa's.  They are replacing a third with a second,  whose contract  ends when TB's does.   There was talent later and those guys tied to the Pats.   Can't tell me they couldn't have taken one in the third and  an impact player in the second.  Instead they get  more o linemen then they have room for. Wasted picks.  And don't act like you liked the draft because  you would be lying  

Having a backup that isn't completely clueless is not a waste and other teams draft histories suggest that they agree with me and not you.  It is a good thing Mallett never had to play, but arguing that he was a waste because TB stayed healthy is dumb.  It's like arguing having health insurance for a year is a waste if you didn't get sick that year.  Do I think it's possible TB can play at a high level for 4+ years?  Sure, but it's not a sure thing so I don't think it is a waste to get some insurance (yeah we have no idea if this guy is any good, but it's better to have someone in the system then be stuck in situation where your QB goes to hell and you got nothing in the pipeline).  If the Colts had pulled their little tank routine this season they would have gotten f'ed because of the QB class.  As BB has already noted it's better to have another QB too soon than too late.

My opinion on the draft isn't relevant here (although for the record I have said I wasn't a huge fan of the Easley pick and unlike you I was glad to see some more resources invested in the OL, but I have no desire to "grade" this draft until a few seasons have gone by). 

Sections
Shortcuts