Will Smith still rehabbing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Re: Will Smith still rehabbing

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Well I think the real concern is we will have three guys coming off acl injuries on our defensive line heading into next season (Easley, Kelly, Smth) and one guy coming off an Achilles' tendon tear...another coming off heart surgery too. Out of that list three of them are over 32 years old. Yet we spent our second round pick on a quarterback...makes perfect sense.

We are all irrational, spoiled fans. 

Who had heart surgery?

[object HTMLDivElement]

Armstead. He needed surgery because of the infection. The infection was thought to be caused because of the condition with his heart.

This isn't true. Belichick went out of his way to state that Armstead's issue was not related to his heart. I found his elaboration on his player's injury/ailment to be rather out of character at the time. It was clear he wanted to establish that Armstead was not dealing with his previous heart problem. 

"Bill Belichick said his current status is different from the heart issue, though. “No, I think it’s a different situation,” Belichick said when asked if his placement on the list was related to past issues."

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/07/bill-belichick-says-armond-armsteads-status-on-non-football-illness-list-different-from-past-heart-issue/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Armstead had heart surgery? Can you provide a source? Believed by whom, to be caused by a heart condition? 

My recollection is he had surgery to address an infection. I don't recall anything announced as to the cause of the infection or that the surgery was to his heart? I'd be interested in reading about that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Armstead had heart surgery? Can you provide a source? Believed by whom, to be caused by a heart condition? 

My recollection is he had surgery to address an infection. I don't recall anything announced as to the cause of the infection or that the surgery was to his heart? I'd be interested in reading about that.

"My recollection is he had surgery to address an infection."

This is correct. It was never stated that his surgery was related to his heart. It was speculated that it could be, but never confirmed. A staph-infection was also rumored. 

Belichick, however, went out of his way to state this Armstead's surgery was not related to his heart. I posted the link in my above post. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

On ACLs they don't repair an ACL they replace it and they are now doing it where they actually harvest some bone at both ends so the 'healing process' is actually the bone mending (like with a break. The replacement is often stronger than the original.

As for recovery times it used to be a year + but with better techniques and less collateral damage in the operation, rehab is starting much earlier and by 6 months the movement and strength of the joint should be pretty solid - it is then a question of how long it takes for the athlete to regain their pre injury form and by 9 months they should be pretty good. The mental aspect then kicks in ... how much do they trust the repair and that can take a longer time.

While the weight is certainly an issue, the other side of it is linemen do not put the torquing stain on their knees the way RBs and receivers do with planting and turning at full speed. Linemen have been known to be pretty effective playing on torn ACLs Mankins did it a few years ago.

As for recovery based on age - these guys are not old and they are top class athletes with great cardiovascular systems. It may take a little longer but nothing significant. The issue would be how much other deterioration in the joint has occurred both in the injury and through their playing career.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

Well I think the real concern is we will have three guys coming off acl injuries on our defensive line heading into next season (Easley, Kelly, Smth) and one guy coming off an Achilles' tendon tear...another coming off heart surgery too. Out of that list three of them are over 32 years old. Yet we spent our second round pick on a quarterback...makes perfect sense.

Smith is not a DT, dummy.  The club also has Siliga and Chris Jones under contract with a year under their belt.  Splitting reps instead of taking up almost  all of them will help them as well as the older players looking to come back when they can.

Brady choking it down every January like clockwork is what doesn't make sense.  It's been years. Hence, why a QB was drafted.

I know your Vicodin inhibits your ability to read, so I'll try to help you, what I wrote was our defensive LINE will have 3 guys coming off ACL injuries..did that help? Thank heavens I didn't write an entire paragraph, that would of really screwed you up. Hey is there any chance your 152 IQ has decreased any? lol!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

On ACLs they don't repair an ACL they replace it and they are now doing it where they actually harvest some bone at both ends so the 'healing process' is actually the bone mending (like with a break. The replacement is often stronger than the original.

As for recovery times it used to be a year + but with better techniques and less collateral damage in the operation, rehab is starting much earlier and by 6 months the movement and strength of the joint should be pretty solid - it is then a question of how long it takes for the athlete to regain their pre injury form and by 9 months they should be pretty good. The mental aspect then kicks in ... how much do they trust the repair and that can take a longer time.

While the weight is certainly an issue, the other side of it is linemen do not put the torquing stain on their knees the way RBs and receivers do with planting and turning at full speed. Linemen have been known to be pretty effective playing on torn ACLs Mankins did it a few years ago.

As for recovery based on age - these guys are not old and they are top class athletes with great cardiovascular systems. It may take a little longer but nothing significant. The issue would be how much other deterioration in the joint has occurred both in the injury and through their playing career.

So what you're saying is our 33 year old defensive linemen with repaired ACL's may actually be younger next season because the ACL has been replaced with tissue from a younger person? That's good news.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Who had heart surgery?

Asa Watson. The undrafted TE , Bens little brother is the only guy I know of...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Yes yes. And. The pats drafted.  mallet and O Connell. In the third. How'd they work out?  Waste with no compensation.  The only success they've had at all is with late rounders and udfa's.  They are replacing a third with a second,  whose contract  ends when TB's does.   There was talent later and those guys tied to the Pats.   Can't tell me they couldn't have taken one in the third and  an impact player in the second.  Instead they get  more o linemen then they have room for. Wasted picks.  And don't act like you liked the draft because  you would be lying  

Having a backup that isn't completely clueless is not a waste and other teams draft histories suggest that they agree with me and not you.  It is a good thing Mallett never had to play, but arguing that he was a waste because TB stayed healthy is dumb.  It's like arguing having health insurance for a year is a waste if you didn't get sick that year.  Do I think it's possible TB can play at a high level for 4+ years?  Sure, but it's not a sure thing so I don't think it is a waste to get some insurance (yeah we have no idea if this guy is any good, but it's better to have someone in the system then be stuck in situation where your QB goes to hell and you got nothing in the pipeline).  If the Colts had pulled their little tank routine this season they would have gotten f'ed because of the QB class.  As BB has already noted it's better to have another QB too soon than too late.

My opinion on the draft isn't relevant here (although for the record I have said I wasn't a huge fan of the Easley pick and unlike you I was glad to see some more resources invested in the OL, but I have no desire to "grade" this draft until a few seasons have gone by). 

[object HTMLDivElement]

I never said having a compete back up is a waste but a second round back up is.  I said they get better return out of low round or udfa QB's. 

Given the timeline and unless the worst happens He is Mallets replacement.  Mallets replacement could have been taken in the third or 4th and not taken instead of a player that can help now.

This is what 90% of the population believes and don't agree with you.  Do you really think he's going to beat out brady or lead us to the promised land if the worst happens?   PULEEEEZZE.

He's a clip board carrier, just as Mallet was, just as O'Connell was.  He is taking a valuable roster spot to be that.  It's unfortunate that they have to carry three, but it is what it is.  I don't want a rookie next year either.

I'm not saying he can't be good.  I'm just saying we will probably never know that until he or Brady leaves.

And I beg to differ.  I've never seen ANYTHING to believe Mallet was capable to take over.  He scared me in the pre-season games for cripes sake.  It was like a miracle when he actually completed a pass.  Too hard or too erratic and not about to change.  That's who he is.

Here's what Peter King thought of him and don't say King is a hater because that is also what MANY have said, just as they have with a second round clip board carrier.

Peter, I don’t understand your point re: Ryan Mallet. Of course we don’t know anything about this kid, because when would he have a chance to play? Printing his stats is meaningless—of course his QB rating is 5. When did he play? Name a time when he should have played? What were Aaron Rodgers’ stats his first three years under Brett Favre? Did he play? Did he start?

— Brandon,
    Boston

Here’s my point about Ryan Mallett, and it’s a simple point: Anyone who thinks Ryan Mallett should be the answer at quarterback for Houston (or any team) is sadly mistaken. He’s been in the NFL for three years and done absolutely nothing other than hold a clipboard. My response about Mallett was not to criticize him as a player; it is to say that no sane person would trade for him and believe he’ll automatically solve your team’s quarterback problem. I realize he was a tempting prospect in 2011 out of Arkansas. He may well be a very good NFL quarterback. But I certainly wouldn’t pay much for him, and if I brought him to camp all I would do is hope that he could compete for a roster spot and push the starter

This, too will be the fate of our second round pick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

what does Mallett or any back up QB have to do with signing Smith and if he is ready?

what does Brady have to do with SMith and if he will be ready

BB in his presser when he mentioned Smith was actually OPTIMISTIC with Smith's rehab, not pessimistic...

why do Pats fans take a nice signing that could help the team at a no risk salary as pessimistic? This is in no way similar to AWilson. AWilson was showing signs of drop off with the Cards. He came to NE and in camp looked really bad. WSmith was injured. Prior to injury, he was playing really well. AWilson was afforded a contract that was based on past reputation. WSmith was afforded a contract based on the vet minimum.

It's an old Red Sox thing, they don't feel good if there isn't something horribly wrong with the team they root for!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Does anyone know how many players you can put on AND take off the PUP list?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

what does Mallett or any back up QB have to do with signing Smith and if he is ready?

BB in his presser when he mentioned Smith was actually OPTIMISTIC with Smith's rehab, not pessimistic...

why do Pats fans take a nice signing that could help the team at a no risk salary as pessimistic? This is in no way similar to AWilson. AWilson was showing signs of drop off with the Cards. He came to NE and in camp looked really bad. WSmith was injured. Prior to injury, he was playing really well. AWilson was afforded a contract that was based on past reputation. WSmith was afforded a contract based on the vet minimum.

It's an old Red Sox thing, they don't feel good if there isn't something horribly wrong with the team they root for!

[object HTMLDivElement]

It was you're GF, rusty, who derailed it as usual.

You might want to get her some help or at least keep her off the sauce.

Mental illness and alcohol don't mix. :-(

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

In response to rtuinila's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

It was you're GF, rusty, who derailed it as usual.

You might want to get her some help or at least keep her off the sauce.

Mental illness and alcohol don't mix. :-(

OMG...is every draft, free agent and injury comment out of his mouth always circle back to Brady?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

omg enough with these stupid injuries threads. There are so many drama queens on here now constantly talking about injuries.

I'm to the point where I read these threads and think...

1) I want to just pull out the cutting board and a block of cheese to go with all this whine.

2) I am convinced you all walk around  through life in a cup is half empty mentality.

3) I am also convinced you have hired a private contractor to build you a bunker and stalked it with can goods, water, guns, and ammunition for when "your" inevitable zombie apocalypse happens.

...and before any of you write back with something along the lines of yeah but I was right about such and such a player... When you whine about every darn player who ever had a hang nail while playing football you are bound to get your concerns fulfilled once in a while.

I mean holy cripes, why should a player even bother getting surgery, or rehabbing he's only guaranteed to get hurt all over again , every time, from now on, for the rest of his life. Sheesh.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

I liked the Smith signing. It was a low cost move to provide depth and we're still about 4 months from the start of the season. This isn't a Shaun Ellis signing where the Pats are giving him 4 million / yr.
    If it doesn't work you hope Buchanan can help or the Pats could try to pick someone up when rosters are reduced. Not a big deal if he doesn't pan out.

If Smith can contribute you have a big time bargain which comes at little risk.

Sections
Shortcuts