Will the 4-3 be the base package?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Will the 4-3 be the base package?

Reiss seems to think that the 4-3 could be more of a factor this year. It certainly makes a lot of sense. With Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Brace, Burgess at DL, Mayo in the middle, AD at one OLB, and Guyton/Woods at the other OLB. Plus, why else would they be looking at 4-3 ends like Holliday and Carter?

It will be an interesting thing to watch for.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrizutko. Show jrizutko's posts

Re: Will the 4-3 be the base package?

It would make some sense with more teams going toward the 3-4 for Bill to move toward the front where he could get players at better value than hard to find 3-4 OLBs and NTs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

It is funny that this might happen. BB was one of the first to go to the 3-4. Now that everyone is molding their teams to the 3-4 BB is going back to the 4-3.. catch me if you can..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Perhaps it will be a 4-4. 4 lineman, 3 pure linebackers, and one safety in the box to cover the run or the TE on passing plays. 

The one thing that has killed them is the TE. Think 2006 AFC Championship. Also, Kevin Boss did a number against them in the Super Bowl.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RobertBro. Show RobertBro's posts

Bill has always said that his is a multiple-front defense, meaning it can be either 3-4 or 4-3.  In the past it's been mostly 3-4 and occassionally 4-3.  I think that this year, Bill has the personnel to really make it a hybrid and use the 4-3 as much as the 3-4.  I don't think there will be one "base" defense this year. 

You should also know that they've used several different personnel groupings in the 4-3 ranging from 4 run-stuffers up front (Warren, Wilfork, Brace, Seymour) to 4 pass-rushers up front (Burgess, Green, Seymour, Banta-Cain). 

The offense also has great diversity and depth at all the skill positions and I don't think there will be one "base" offense either.  I think they'll be as likely to go 2 tight as they are to go 3 wide.  And we'll see lots of new wrinkles with multiple deep threats, multiple slot receivers, multiple tight ends, multiple backs.

Right now, the team is shaping up like a Bill Belichick fantasy.  He may not get any sleep this season as he stays awake dreaming up new ways to attack next week's opponent.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

The Pats are now and as long as BB is teh coach will always be a 3-4 defense.

We might switch it up here and there and throw in a 4-3 but we will be a base 3-4 D as long as Bill is coaching.

Gary Guyton does not even practice as a OLB so listing him as a possible OLB is not correct he is a ILB and only practices as such.

If we have 4 down linemen they would be this DE = Jarvis Green + Ty Warren DTs = Seymore and Wilfork.

Ron Brace wont be on teh field unless its to give Wilfork a breather, in a 4-3 Seymore plays DT not Brace. Burgess was brought in to learn how to play OLB not be a down linemen so he will most likely see more action at OLB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RobertBro. Show RobertBro's posts

I don't think you're right there 'killa, but if most everyone stays healthy we'll find out in a couple of months.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

They may use the 4-3 package more this year, but I really believe that the 3-4 will always be Belichick's base defense.  Switching requires more than just the calling of different plays.  It would require a total revamping of the defensive playbook and philosophy.  Also, Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Bruschi, Woods, Crable, and many other players are better 3-4 players than 4-3.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

In Response to Re: Will the 4-3 be the base package?:
    The Pats are now and as long as BB is teh coach will always be a 3-4 defense. We might switch it up here and there and throw in a 4-3 but we will be a base 3-4 D as long as Bill is coaching. Gary Guyton does not even practice as a OLB so listing him as a possible OLB is not correct he is a ILB and only practices as such. If we have 4 down linemen they would be this DE = Jarvis Green + Ty Warren DTs = Seymore and Wilfork. Ron Brace wont be on teh field unless its to give Wilfork a breather, in a 4-3 Seymore plays DT not Brace. Burgess was brought in to learn how to play OLB not be a down linemen so he will most likely see more action at OLB.
    Posted by MVPkilla

Guyton played OLB in the 3-4 last year after Thomas and Woods went down. The lineup was as follows: Colvin and Guyton at OLB, Seau and Bruschi at ILB. Guyton eventually got a little dinged. He is versatile and he played OLB in a 4-3 at Georgia Tech. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Burgess was brought in to learn how to play OLB not be a down linemen so he will most likely see more action at OLB.
    Posted by MVPkilla

He was brought in to provide a pass rush. If that means his hand is on the ground, his hand will be on the ground. I think BB will use him as he sees best and if he determines that the personnel requires more 4-3, he will do so - as he did in SB 39 when he utilized Colvin at DE.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

I don't think you're right there 'killa, but if most everyone stays healthy we'll find out in a couple of months.
    Posted by RobertBro

We will be staying with the 3-4 as a base defense because the players we have drafted are ideal for that, e.g., Wilkfork, Brace are two big NT that you need to prop the 3-4, and the DT's we have are capable of handling double-teaming on the LOS.

And the 3-4 gives you the most flexible defense options because the heart of a 3-4 are highly mobile, speedy LB's. BB will never give up the flexible 3-4 to go to a defense with less option, such as the 4-3 or the 4-4 stack.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nmb106. Show nmb106's posts

I love people's open-mindedness on this topic. Essentially I think our 'base' D will still be 3-4, with our starting LB's being Thomas, Mayo, Bruschi & Woods, but chances are we won't be staying in this formation for long.

Teams will in all likelihood be looking to pass the ball earlier in the game than usual, due to the power of this offense. This means more time spent in nickel & dime packages, and pass rushers both on the line (e.g. Green) and standing up coming off the edge (Burgess, Banta-Cain).

This is also why I don't think Brace will take the field too much this season; if a true NT is deployed, it will be Wilfork; it's unlikely we will need two genuine run-stuffers for long unless the weather is dreadful, or we just get steamrollered by someone like Michael Turner - although that is pretty unlikely too.

I love the versatility we're going to show this year, hope we see plenty of looks tonight vs. the Eagles. Go Pats!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Whenever BB is given time by huddling teams, he'll put his 4-3 players in on running downs and his 3-4 in on passing downs.  Actually he's gone as far as a 1-6 on Hail Mary plays and 5-2 versus Pittsburgh, and he reserves the right to use a hybrid safety-linebacker at times, further blurring those numbers.

The no-huddle is growing in popularity across the league.  For these teams, especially with Buffalo coming up first, BB may have to leave the 4-3 or 3-4 personnel in.  Actually Buffalo's is a tough case to figure out, what with a big O-line, RB Marshawn Lynch suspended and a mediocre QB.  Just double-cover TO and then see what happens.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Guyton deffently spent more time on the inside last year then on the outside. And I thought Georga Tech played a 3-4 defense?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Guyton deffently spent more time on the inside last year then on the outside. And I thought Georga Tech played a 3-4 defense?
    Posted by MVPkilla

I'm not saying he didn't play most of his snaps at ILB, but he has the versatility to move outside as a 4-3 OLB. 

I believe that GT was a 4-3 team in 2007.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Ok my bad I thought the big draw to this guy was that he played 3-4 in college but i guess i was wrong.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

We might get hints, but if the Pats are going to make a major change in their "base" defense, you will not see it tonight.  BB is not about to flat out show his cards in the pre-season.  All we will see is hints.

I'll stick to my belief that we will either not have a base defense this year, or it will be some new wrinkle.  I guess not having a base would be a new wrinkle itself.  We will likely move back and forth between defenses so frequently that no single alignment could be called our base.  We have always provided different looks, but I expect that to go to another level this year.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

there was a lot of 4-3 fronts tonight in the game,but there running game has been killiing us tonight.three weeks to correct it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

It might just be the Eagles - the 4-3 makes it easier to maintain pass rush lane inegrity, thereby containing a scrambling quarterback, in this case Donovan McNabb

The other thing that crossed my mind is that they have better competition at defensive lineman, and they can evaluate the players' techniques more in a 4-3 with more defensive linemen on the field.  While the 4-3 is one-gap and the 3-4 is two-gap, some fundamentals don't change (first step, engaging, extending, leverage, nonstop motor, shedding moves...).

Who knows?  We'll find out soon enough - season's less than a month away.

Sections
Shortcuts