Will The Patriots Win Another Superbowl With Brady?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Will The Patriots Win Another Superbowl With Brady?

In response to MelWitt's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

prgrsvimg/th?id=H.4661900267881869&w=98&h=108&c=8&pid=3.1&qlt=90

Arteest formerly known as "JFaust1954"

If their D improves they'll get enough O to get it done...yes, Brady has to improve his play, especially in crunch time, and frankly, his level of Playoff play has dropped since his injury...IMO... But they have no real excuses as long as they get decent WR and RB play....Brady is still the Brady of old during the regular season.....this also assumes they get optimal play from Gronk and Hernandez for the playoffs.

It's the D...it has to be able to stop people in the 2nd half of games...it must cover people better, primed by an improved pass rush...if their 3rd down defense doesn't improve, they'll be one and done in the playoffs.

One of the main reasons they lost SB 46.

Absolutely correct...I completely agree...and watching that was gutwrenching...I hope we never have to go through anything like that again...when you can know it's going to happen, and there's nothing you can do about it, that's when being a true fan is frustrating...I also think it's why so many fans here like to mix it up over the Pats because everyone really, really wants to see them avoid those kind of nightmares again...

Could be the most frustrating loss I have witnessed as a pat's fan and I go back to the mid 70's. We get much debate here about offensive blame, defensive blame,  shotgun or not enough running, poor secondary play, etc.. etc..

SB 46 came down to a handful of plays and the fact the D never had a 3 and out the entire game which caused poor field position for the O on almost every possession.

The safety

12 men on the field which negated a turnover and led to a TD

Brady Int intended for Gronk

The Nink offsides on 3rd down in the 4th

The welker drop

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

It's certainly possible. Brady is still one of the best QBs in the game, and Belichick, without much debate, is the best coach in the game.

But as we've seen over the years, having the best coach, and arguably the best QB, doesn't necessarily mean you win the Super Bowl. 

It's becoming more and more evident that you need a strong defense in order to consistently win in the playoffs, and that's something we've lacked. I think the talent has been there (in places), but the continuity is lacking, and injuries haven't helped either. 

Look at the Ravens, Giants, and in previous years, when they won the Super Bowl, the Saints, Steelers, and Packers.

The common denominator is that they had a strong defense, but perhaps more importantly than that, they had a defense which could force turnovers in big games, and bow their necks in crunch time. 

I understand that having a defense comparable to that of the 2000 Ravens isn't necessarily the best way to win these days (that said, it sure doesn't hurt). But if nothing else, you need a defense which can force turnovers in the playoffs and get late-game stops, something that recent iterations of the Patriots' defense has failed to do.

Let's go Pats!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Bunker Spreckles's comment:

If their D improves they'll get enough O to get it done...yes, Brady has to improve his play, especially in crunch time, and frankly, his level of Playoff play has dropped since his injury...IMO... But they have no real excuses as long as they get decent WR and RB play....Brady is still the Brady of old during the regular season.....this also assumes they get optimal play from Gronk and Hernandez for the playoffs.

It's the D...it has to be able to stop people in the 2nd half of games...it must cover people better, primed by an improved pass rush...if their 3rd down defense doesn't improve, they'll be one and done in the playoffs.

Absolutely correct...I completely agree...and watching that was gutwrenching...I hope we never have to go through anything like that again...when you can know it's going to happen, and there's nothing you can do about it, that's when being a true fan is frustrating...I also think it's why so many fans here like to mix it up over the Pats because everyone really, really wants to see them avoid those kind of nightmares again...

Could be the most frustrating loss I have witnessed as a pat's fan and I go back to the mid 70's. We get much debate here about offensive blame, defensive blame,  shotgun or not enough running, poor secondary play, etc.. etc..

SB 46 came down to a handful of plays and the fact the D never had a 3 and out the entire game which caused poor field position for the O on almost every possession.

The safety

The welker drop

"Poor secondary play"? What game did you watch?! Are you insane? Sterling Moore was outstanding! So was Arrington. Cruz did nothing! Nothing!   2 FGs allowed in the second half?  This is bad secondary play?

Can you please articulate what it is you mean by that?  Please?  What on earth?  13 points allowed into the 4th, everyone in the room was thrilled when Brady had the ball in Giants territory or later looking to ice it.

Here's a test to show why you're wrong: Any of the supposed mistakes, the ones that clearly eevry D creates for itself in a game (penalties, subpar Run D, allowing some points scored, etc), all of that happened in the first half and what was with NE leading 10-9 at the half.

So, 6 points for the Giants, all we score is 7 in a total of 6 drives?  I am more annoyed that Sterlng Moore or Kyle Arrington had a better game than Tom Brady or Wes Welker.

Re-read the post i said we get much debate i didn't say it happened

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

One mistake they did make...that pass play to Manningham...THAT was hideous, absolutely  a firing squad debacle...never should have been able to beat 2 guys down the sideline like that....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

yeah, I remember seeing a replay from above and it looked like Chung took a bad angle to the ball.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Chung took an absolutely awful angle on that throw. Not sure if he was squatting on a shorter pass, but he certainly could have (and should have) done better in terms of closing on the ball. Would've been tough to intercept, but he could have deflected it with little trouble.

Let's go Pats!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

The safety

The welker drop

"Poor secondary play"? What game did you watch?! Are you insane? Sterling Moore was outstanding! So was Arrington. Cruz did nothing! Nothing!   2 FGs allowed in the second half?  This is bad secondary play?

Can you please articulate what it is you mean by that?  Please?  What on earth?  13 points allowed into the 4th, everyone in the room was thrilled when Brady had the ball in Giants territory or later looking to ice it.

Here's a test to show why you're wrong: Any of the supposed mistakes, the ones that clearly eevry D creates for itself in a game (penalties, subpar Run D, allowing some points scored, etc), all of that happened in the first half and what was with NE leading 10-9 at the half.

So, 6 points for the Giants, all we score is 7 in a total of 6 drives?  I am more annoyed that Sterlng Moore or Kyle Arrington had a better game than Tom Brady or Wes Welker.

I saw that, but then you say below "no 3 and out the entire game" which makes it appear like you are blaming the D or secondary for that.

When I was watching that game, I wasn't thinking "Gee, we have no 3 and outs right now, we're doomed!"

I was looking at trying to get a turnover (almost did, twice) or holding them to FGs if possible.  This whole 3 and out obsession garbage is moot and only a postgame armchair QB attempt to blame.

What difference does it make if Nink's penalty or some other Giants 3rd down conversions only led to FGs in the second half if our offense did nothing to answer the bell on their end?

That's why it doesn't really matter, dude. No one expected that D to hold to under 20 points based on their 19.8 average all year. I didn't. I hoped for it, but I knew out offense would need to score at least 21 points to win the SB.  That doesn't change. We aren't winning a SB scoring 14 or 17 points. Look around the league. Look at most scores now.  They aren't 17-14 wins like in 2004 vs the Titans in the cold. They're 20+ point scores. We aren't doing our part on offense. Plain and simple. We look lost at times, lack execution and can't ice games we have multiple leads in.

I just noted  as one of the reason for the loss was the lack of 3 and outs the entire game. The starting field position for the O was horrible the whole game due the Giants being able to punt from roughly mid field all day.

Like I said there were a handful of reasons for the loss that was just one of the contributing factors.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to Bunker Spreckles' comment:

In response to dreighver's comment:

Chung took an absolutely awful angle on that throw. Not sure if he was squatting on a shorter pass, but he certainly could have (and should have) done better in terms of closing on the ball. Would've been tough to intercept, but he could have deflected it with little trouble.

Let's go Pats!

No he didn't.  He was there to make the play. Look at where the ball is!  Nice throw, better catch. Did you really expect him to hold onto that or to get two feet down like that? I didn't.  I thought the ball might jar loose or there was no way he got two feet down.  He's actually trying to corral it with the ball over the out of bounds line. Is Chung supposed to have already been there, grow 3 inches, jump in the air and deflect it? lol

Did you play football? Trust me when I tell you that Ed Reed isn't getting to that ball.

What's worse, Brady's Safety, INTo on 1st down or Welker's drop from a Brady high throw or a very nice play like this with Manningham holding AND getting 2 feet down?!

This play doesn't even occur without Brady's INT on 1st down so incredibly stupidly so. Proving my point. Expecting PERFECTIOn from non star players and then making excuses or ignoring mindnumbingly dumb plays from our All Pro players.

Case closed as it always has been for a while now.  Blame Moore, Cole, blame all the back end roster players and then deflect from you know who.

I'm not expecting perfection form our defensive players, Rusty. I'm expecting competence.

If you truly think that was an acceptable angle to take on the ball, I don't know what to tell you.

I don't expect the guy to be Ed Reed, but he should be intelligent enough to drop a bit further back in his backpedal so he can take a better angle on the ball, and hopefully defelect or intercept the pass.

This isn't the difference between a superstar and a decent player. This is a simple concept that all safeties learn, and Chung clearly struggled with it. The deeper you are in your backpedal, the easier it is to close on the ball. 

I don't think it's that much to ask that our safeties have some basic knowledge of their position on the field.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to Bunker Spreckles' comment:

The field position starts have nothing to do with the D, but our kick return game.  And, Weatherford's punting.

What happened to complementary football?  You don't think the D allowing the G Men to drive to the NE 42 on the opening drive of the game had anything to do with the field position on the safety?  The punt wasn't returnable so I don't see how it is on the ST.  Sure Weatherford deserves credit for execution, but he can't make that kick if he is kicking it from his own territory.  The safety itself was a bad play by the offense, but it doesn't happen without the field position.  This is why football is a team sport.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

The safety

The welker drop

I saw that, but then you say below "no 3 and out the entire game" which makes it appear like you are blaming the D or secondary for that.

When I was watching that game, I wasn't thinking "Gee, we have no 3 and outs right now, we're doomed!"

I was looking at trying to get a turnover (almost did, twice) or holding them to FGs if possible.  This whole 3 and out obsession garbage is moot and only a postgame armchair QB attempt to blame.

What difference does it make if Nink's penalty or some other Giants 3rd down conversions only led to FGs in the second half if our offense did nothing to answer the bell on their end?

That's why it doesn't really matter, dude. No one expected that D to hold to under 20 points based on their 19.8 average all year. I didn't. I hoped for it, but I knew out offense would need to score at least 21 points to win the SB.  That doesn't change. We aren't winning a SB scoring 14 or 17 points. Look around the league. Look at most scores now.  They aren't 17-14 wins like in 2004 vs the Titans in the cold. They're 20+ point scores. We aren't doing our part on offense. Plain and simple. We look lost at times, lack execution and can't ice games we have multiple leads in.

I just noted  as one of the reason for the loss was the lack of 3 and outs the entire game. The starting field position for the O was horrible the whole game due the Giants being able to punt from roughly mid field all day.

Like I said there were a handful of reasons for the loss that was just one of the contributing factors.

The field position starts have nothing to do with the D, but our kick return game.  And, Weatherford's punting.

That's not on the D, dude.  The Safety is not on the D either, because they're quickly having to go back out and defend a short field off the Safety.

Of course we can scan back and look at all the factors, it's just that the ones by our offense are more damaging and more of a factor.

Okay, once again it was one of the factors I listed it was not the only reason. I will leave you with this and you can draw your own conclusions.

The Giant non-scoring drives not including kneel downs.

1st drive 10 plays punt from the Pat's 42 NE starts @ their own 6(not blaming this for the safety)

3rd drive 8 plays punt from NE 41 NE starts from their 20

4th drive 7 plays punt from their own 47 NE starts from their own 14

8th drive 10 plays punt from NE 43 NE starts from own 8

so for those 4 drives the giants average punting from the NE 45 and the Pat's average satrting field position is the 12.

My opinion is this was a contributing factor to the loss.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

The safety

The welker drop

That's not on the D, dude.  The Safety is not on the D either, because they're quickly having to go back out and defend a short field off the Safety.

Of course we can scan back and look at all the factors, it's just that the ones by our offense are more damaging and more of a factor.

Okay, once again it was one of the factors I listed it was not the only reason. I will leave you with this and you can draw your own conclusions.

The Giant non-scoring drives not including kneel downs.

1st drive 10 plays punt from the Pat's 42 NE starts @ their own 6(not blaming this for the safety)

3rd drive 8 plays punt from NE 41 NE starts from their 20

4th drive 7 plays punt from their own 47 NE starts from their own 14

8th drive 10 plays punt from NE 43 NE starts from own 8

so for those 4 drives the giants average punting from the NE 45 and the Pat's average satrting field position is the 12.

My opinion is this was a contributing factor to the loss.

Us focring punts from basically midfield is somehow a slam dunk detriment to how our own offense produces on a drive?

I hear what you're saying, but that really more looks like you're not able to admit Weatherford had a nice game. 

At the end of the day, we get into the locker room after all that 10-9.  Then, it's 17-9, momentum, 17-12 still with momentum, 17-15 still with momentum and the Brady and Welker sort of crapped themselves in different ways.

Plus, that 8th drive is in the 2nd half when they had the leads listed above.  By not even looking

I agree that the 1st half field position was not desirable, but that's old news by the 4th qtr and what was there on the table. I am not blaming our offense for really anything in the first half, similar to SB 38 when it was sort a lower scoring, defensive kind of battle. It's the second half and the D battling their balls off and holding with our offense doing nothing past the 1st drive of the 2nd half.

The D clearly played to its ceiling more so than the offense, in a nutshell.

The 8th drive was the most frustrating. They had them stopped for their first 3 and out and Nink got called for offsides and the giants ended up driving from their 12 to the NE 43.

They hold them on that drive and the pat's most likely would have had the ball some where near mid-field. Instead they end up having to start from the 8.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Talked to a guy who is an engineer at Raytheon the other day - he has gone to all of our Super Bowls. He seemed like a pretty knowledgable fan, the first thing he said to me was he couldn't believe how much pressure Brady was under in both Super Bowl 42 and 46 compared to the others. He also said our receivers weren't getting open in Super Bowl 46. He mentioned the poor decision/throw to Gronk and how he never stepped into the throw and it was picked off....he thought it was a really bad play - I argued that he should of initially been sacked on that play, but scrambled to get that ball off. He didn't think that mattered because he had plenty of time and space when he did get free that he should of made a better throw...I can buy that. He had an intersting take on the Welker drop - he said Brady adjusted his throw at the last second due to the coverage and Welker was twisting/falling down as he adjusted to the ball - if he were two inches taller he would of easily had that ball.

We talked for a few more minutes about that game - I asked him if he thought Manning had too much time to throw and he said without a doubt Manning had all day. He said he ran into Manningham in Florida one day at a conference and told him he'd never be able to make that catch again in his career....Manningham agreed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Hmmmmm....I'm thinking Tom has 2 years left and it's over....so do they win the SB in the next two years.....

At the risk of being called a whiner....I'll play the odds and say no.

I have said, as others here as well, I welcome and wait for the return of a top ten defense, as that's what it's going to take to get it done.

If I'm writting the script....I'll take  Tom getting his 4th ring his last season....seems like thats the way it outta' end up.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Oh yeah. That was a problem that really has haunted a bunch of safeties here. Eugene Wilson and Rodney were a good pair. They had different strengths, but no glaring weaknesses. They were both fundamentally sound.  

The recent poor tackling angles just baffle me. I'd figure they'd be able to get this cleared up, but this defense is bottom five every season in big plays, and that's a huge part of it.

I'm really hoping Wilson, Harmon, or A. Wilson can bring some of that this season, as DMC is really a deep quarters cover safety. 

Meriweather had that issue. But less than Chung, who I thought could pick it up, but was wrong. 

Here is another Chung bad angle from a game against Buffalo. The slow motion close up is at 28 seconds in.

I dug it up when I was reviewing Donald Jones' videos. I think that's Gregory opposite him, taking a bad angle, though it was a recovery play and harder for him than Chung who should know better.

The thing that is so frustrating is that it's not like a Safety is playing the defensive line, or WR, or QB and someone is aggravating his attempt to take an angle. You either do or you don't ... it's all on you. You should execute proper angles 100% of the time ... then the occaisons where you just get beat won't be stockpiled with occaisons you really just beat yourself.

If Chung just simply "contains" the guy it's a short gain.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000067529/Donald-Jones-TD-catch

blog post photo

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts