Will the Streak be Broken Tommorow Night!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Will the Streak be Broken Tommorow Night!

I wont get into discussing stats and where our defense ranks and I really dont care to re hash the whole season and talk about this or that game but I came upon some disturbing info last night via patriots football weekly.

We all know that the Pats have lost their last 3 playoff games, but did everyone realize this...

In 07' the Pats lost a playoff game to the Giants, a team they had beaten earlier in the regular season.

In 09' the Pats lost a playoff game to the Ravens, a team they had beaten earlier in the regular season.

in 10' the Pats lost a playoff game to the Jets, a team they had beaten(easily) earlier in the regular season.

These facts are prettty alarming for a coach who was once known to be the best at "rematch" games.  He used to always come back and beat teams the 2nd time after losing the 1st.

Now its the other way around.

If thats not the definition of Regular Season Wonders, I dont know what is..

Lets hope they break the streak tommorow. IF not its gonna be a Loooooong offseason and more questions to answer about why we do so well in regular season yet fail when it counts.

I love the coach we have but do these facts say something about his coaching or are the players just not Playoff Ready.

That trend tells me we are todays Colts team.  Dominate in regular season only to be punched in the mouth in postseason.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Re: Will the Streak be Broken Tommorow Night!

This ends tomorrow!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Will the Streak be Broken Tommorow Night!:
    [QUOTE]I wont get into discussing stats and where our defense ranks and I really dont care to re hash the whole season and talk about this or that game but I came upon some disturbing info last night via patriots football weekly. We all know that the Pats have lost their last 3 playoff games, but did everyone realize this... In 07' the Pats lost a playoff game to the Giants, a team they had beaten earlier in the regular season. In 09' the Pats lost a playoff game to the Ravens, a team they had beaten earlier in the regular season. in 10' the Pats lost a playoff game to the Jets, a team they had beaten(easily) earlier in the regular season. These facts are prettty alarming for a coach who was once known to be the best at "rematch" games.  He used to always come back and beat teams the 2nd time after losing the 1st. Now its the other way around. If thats not the definition of Regular Season Wonders, I dont know what is.. Lets hope they break the streak tommorow. IF not its gonna be a Loooooong offseason and more questions to answer about why we do so well in regular season yet fail when it counts. I love the coach we have but do these facts say something about his coaching or are the players just not Playoff Ready. That trend tells me we are todays Colts team.  Dominate in regular season only to be punched in the mouth in postseason.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Interestinly enough, the last two playoff losses were also to 2nd year quarterbacks! But I am not a superstitious person, and I think the patterns you cite are merely that--coincidence--though admittedly somewhat disturbing coincidence.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

The 2007 team had the game won until the officials gave the Giants a 4th t/o to save the clock for a measurement of 3 yards short.  Then they let the Giants o-line hold all night for that miracle pass.  And somehow, they forgot to run off about 30+ seconds at the end while the Giants were marching.  All of these were suspicious alone.  But together?

In 2009, Brady was playing with a ton of injuries and Welker was out, allowing the Ravens to double Moss.  And the team chemistry was at its lowest, with many malcontents.

In 2010, BB blew it by benching Welker to start, which put the whole O in a mental funk.  And like 2007 and 2009, there was some poor play calling, stuff that lacked patience for long, commanding drives.  In all three years, they were trying to hit home runs instead of smashing mouths.

They could still lose trying to hit home runs, but they seemed to have finally learned that lesson, after a few relapses this season that resulted in losses.

One thing that sets this season apart from these other: MHK.  97% of winning is due to the mind at the pro level, not the body.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Im hoping they are coincidental and not some postseason 7 year bad luck situation.

I would normally be comfortable with facing the Broncos but they do have 2 pass rushers who could change the whole dynamic of the game if they get after Brady.

I see a trend of postseason play that tells me in regular season they beat a team, so in the rematch that team is looking to find ways to beat them in other ways.

We would most likely do the same thing as we won the 1st meeting but then again how much can they change is the question.

I believe part of the problem is we dont adjust well or make changes from the 1st time because we are a passing team and cant just flick a switch to do otherwise. So the opponent comes with all these ways to stop Brady and we play into it by passing as we always do.

In 07, I believe more running may or may not have worked as I never had confidence in L.M. to get the tough yards.. Giants were playing pass and could still stop the run because L.M. would still be in the backfield dancing, so they sold out and stopped the run on the way to the QB.

in 09'. just flat out beat and our passing game was non-existent. Once agian, unable to do anything else.

In 10' we kept passing despite  the Jets playing 7 db's and inviting us to run, combined with bad coaching and tight players...

Teams in postseason will go through greater lengths to stop Brady as they know he IS the team.

I watched wildcard w/e and saw some defenses absolutely flying around and playing lights out and had a little bout of envy concerning our defense.

If/when a team stymies Brady in the postseason we need a defense that can get a few stops while our offense is sputtering and I dont know if we have that, but we shall see. I think we see a fired up, improved "D" but that will be enough?

I watched the game again and Denver absolutely Dominated us in the 1st quarter and had 140 plus rushing yards in 1st quarter alone. McGahee went out and the backups killed us.   I heard B.B. mention how hard it is to defend the Broncos because of their qb and talked about CB's having multiple responsibilities and being the "force" on some plays and couldnt help but think we were probably thinking too much in the 1st quarter and after that we settled down, and hopefully the experience just a few weeks ago has them ready from the start. We cant afford a slow start on defense or offense.

I do Believe we win Though, just alarming that B.B. has become a postseason failure as of late and all the teams he played he beat earlier.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I agree with Chris, in 09' the playoffs were DOA ... NE lost too many players and had too many injuries on offense, and were so young on defense, to really even compete. No one was expecting much that season anyhow. 

Last year they just played poor situational football on offense, and let's face it, this defense is not capable of carrying the offense like the early 2000's. NE can't play a "close low scoring game" and rely on Brady to get it done in the clutch. The offense pretty much has to be good wire to wire, and force the opponents into 1-dimensional ball. 

I don't think this team can be compared to the 2000's Colts, who were chronic underacheivers. They had boku(!) talent on both sides of the ball and choked. If this team had defenders like Freeney, Mathis, etcetera to go with their offense, then it would seem more "chokey" to me.

This team is just a team that doesn't have dominat talent everywhere. It's a bit different, and less surprising when they come up short. 

The Colts were like the 1990s Bills, it was completely illogical that they didn't win more than they did given that they had more talent than anyone else over that period. 

That said, there is no reason NE should not represent the AFC East in the AFC Championship game. They should be able to take care of Denver at home handily.

Though, I will say I hate drawing the "hot hand" after a two week layoff, which is what NE did last season.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well . . .   the obvious difference here is that New Jersey, Baltimore and other New Jersey were legitimate playoff-calibre teams.

The Broncos are no such thing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Well they took out the best rated defense.

I hope they can pull it out, and I agree with Z, but not so sure I would say Indy was talented on both sides.  Freeney and Mathis(the track stars) are very effective vs the pass if you are UP, but in a grind out playoff game vs us they were useless. They cant play the run.

After Freeny and Mathis who did they have on defense. Marcus Washington for a year, Sanders when healthy. They always had bigger CB's who could tackle but could be beat easily. and their linebackers were decent for their scheme but probably wouldnt do much elsewhere.

Brady's first game as a starter he chewed that defense up, so in that aspect I cant agree and say Indy's defenses were that much better than ours is now.

We have a dominant inside D-lineman and all pro backer and one pretty good safety but had 2 good ones the last couple years and a secondary somone said they would start their team with.

I know you hate to admit it,but Yes, we are the Colts and maybe even worse as we have a MUCH Better coach as well.

Most experts correctly point out that we are the new Paper Champs!  Its on THIS team to erase that notion from the organization, IMO

You cant continously get the # 1 seed by playing the best in regular season and then bow out in postseason very quickly and not expect to hear the critisizm.

Also, Brady has been hurt in every game. Bad foot in 07', 10', so Woody if he was hurt in 09' thats another trend. Im sure he is nursing something this year as well and that wont ever change until we get a "DEFENSE"  As long as Brady keeps passing all year he will always be limping come January.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Different things about this year:
    This team is more mature.
    This team is much more mentally tough: In '07, they weren't really tested. In '09, they were tested and failed. In '10, they weren't really tested and they were a bunch of young kids who had only experienced success. Pride comes before the fall, and that Jets game was just a perfect scenario for an upset. I was one of the few people who knew that upset was coming. This team has been tested, and if you look no further than the 2011 Bruins, you'll see that mentally tough (but not necessarily immensely talented) teams come back from losses like that and use it as motivation. The core of this team isn't taking this game lightly.
    The TE's are vastly improved, and Welker is 100% this year. While Ocho is a flop, he's still their 5th option. A very good one at that.

I'm most confident due to the adversity that this team has faced this year. Injuries, comeback wins, slow starts, defensive struggles (for one half, at least), shootouts, etc. They've pretty much seen every type of game this season. The best part about this? The past few weeks, they've had very slow starts, but have emerged victorious, sometimes by a wide margin. This means that the Patriots will never feel out of the game, and that they make great in-game adjustments. Any team that allows 21 points in the 1st quarter and then wins 49-21 is both mentally tough and top-notch when it comes to in-game adjustments. This really separates this year's Pats from previous years.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

If all we did is take into consideration the past, tendencies, coincidences etc...  we'd all be running around like chicken little, as some seem to be.  I ignore that as IT IS the PAST..(glass half empty)  I look forward and the PATS will win and set some post season records for Brady in the run up to the SB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

good post, I agree about everything esp. the mental toughness.

I dont know If I would feel comfortable starting a game down 21-0 in the playoffs though and maybe it wont hurt us this w/e, but against better offenses we cant afford those slow starts.

You do that against a good team, they wont let you back in it.

I guess Im just saying they HAVE to go out and play 60 minutes for me to feel comfortable. I will be nervous as usual, but the Tebow Hype, us vs the world, mcdaniels spin, and Tebows quote 3:16 being the equal to his passing yards, yard per catch and T.V. rating all being 316, 31.6 and 31.6 is what scares me I guess.

Seems like we are always running into a perfect storm ....for other teams.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

King, you do realize that "selling out" on draw plays is detrimental to a defense, right? That's why it's called a draw, not only to make the linebackers back off, but to suck the DE's in and make them get behind the play.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I agree with that assessment; I just disagreed with the assessment of the draw play.

Law-Firm has actually been fairly dependable receiving this year, and I think people just know more about Woodhead this year so he's not going to sneak up on anyone. However, he has the speed to break away from just about anyone, and is stronger than people give him credit for.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastTraveler. Show EastTraveler's posts

In Response to Will the Streak be Broken Tommorow Night!:

If the Patriots can't get this done tomorrow night than I think that the 'experiment' that this season was would be a failure...  After not winning the last 4 playoff games I'm a bit wary of what may or may not happen. God only knows...  Tongue out

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

I've repressed those losses I don't know what any of you are talking about. I'm only focused on Saturday.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I'll be honest that I'm keeping my expectations much lower than I normally would, but I really think they are going to win this game. If they don't I think Brady will snap and turn into the Hulk.

They have come out flat the last two post season games. They were hurt badly against the Ravens and lost Welker just before the season ended. Then they went and benched Welker against the Jets and Brady threw that awful pick after moving the ball well.

This week Welker hasn't done anything to get him benched and he will play (hopefully). I highly doubt Brady and BB let them come out flat again. The Giants just played a hell of a game and won by a miracle.

Sections
Shortcuts