WILL WILFORK STILL PRODUCE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

WILL WILFORK STILL PRODUCE?

I believe he will and I definitely hope he will but its worth discussing.  Big contract with big money for a big man.  Will his motor stay at as high a pace?  Will he fight as hard through double and triple teams?  And most importantly will he be a good leader in the locker room?  Let me know what you guys think.  Your opinions are always appreciated.  Oh and just to clarify, Im a huge Wilfork fan and I cant think of anyone else I would want at our nose right now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

Re: WILL WILFORK STILL PRODUCE?

I think if anything he will play better because now he will be able to focus on whats really important to him and thats playing football. Plus he received guaranteed money so he no longer needs to think about whether or not the next play ends his career and therefore his means of supporting his family. Plus he will be a better leader in the locker room because 1. he knows he will be a Patriot for the next few years and 2. he can tell others to follow his example of honoring your contract and in the end you will be rewarded.  From the things I have read about him during his career football is a really high priority on his list, yes he wants to get paid what he is worth but he really doesn't seem like someone who only plays football for the money.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I have seen nothing that would indicate that he will not produce.  He has been professional, with a strong work ethic throughout.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

Great points uncommon.  Wilfork scored a lot of points with me through the way he handled his contract.  He is a man unlike a lot of these "children" that are in todays NFL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

He seems to be a hard working guy...I dont think that will change.  He is where he wants to be and now its time to gear up for another run.  Now hopefully he can get Brace going.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

Mike Reiss just posted on this issue and thinks Wilfork will step up big time this year. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Unless he shrinks his waist size big-time, he's still going to be a load to block --- and thus will command a double team, which will open up holes for, hopefully, our new pass rusher(s).

Stand up guy, really. He and Brady, the way they handled their contract situations, it's a testament to all things good with professional athletes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

I have seen nothing from Wilfork that suggests that he won't live up to his contract.  Major injuries aside, he strikes me as the type that if he can play, he'll play.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Wilfork will produce. I wish we had another guy with his talent and attitude to put in at the DE spot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

he better or I'll give him a wedgie and hook them on a hook in his locker. With a crane of course

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I know big Vince will!  This guy a stand up guy and a class act!  He will give the Patriots and us Fans - Full Time Full Tilt!! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

I have gained a ton of respect for Wilfork during this whole contract saga. Instead of crying and complaining about how he's underpaid and wants top dollar (coughAsanteSaumelcough), Vince took his issues behind the scenes, handled everything in a very professional manner, and was ultimately rewarded (as he should be). Wilfork was the epitome of class throughout this whole ordeal - the entire NFL should take note of the manner in which Wilfork went about his business in obtaining a new contract. I get sick of all these egotistical clowns in the NFL that, because they played average-to-above average football for a season or two, are entitled to "mo' money." The only players (in my mind) that have the right to (respectfully) ask for a larger contract are the top-shelf players (the Bradys and the P. Mannings of the NFL) that define their franchise - not these good-but-not-great players. Wilfork was a true, mature man throughout this negotiation. I am immensely proud to have him on the team that I support.

That said, there's no doubt in my mind that Wilfork will be 100% and ready to play next season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

I never understand this attitude by fans. Why is a player being a bad apple if they want to get paid fair market value?

You can't have it both ways. Yes, I understand that some teams are locked into bad contracts because of salary cap implications. But for the most part, guys that are underperforming take a pay cut. Willingly, or they get cut and some other team signs them for far less than they were making.

Well, it works both ways. Why shouldn't a guy who is outperforming his contract get a pay raise? And what is wrong with doing everything in their power to get that pay raise?

I think a lot of fans have a skewed perspective. I've been a Pats fan my entire life. I was a Pats fan before any of these players or coaches got here and will be after they are long gone. In a lot of ways the Patriots organization means more to me than it ever will to any of the players.

These guys don't owe the franchise or the fans loyalty. We say "It's a business" all the time. In a lot of cases I don't think we stop to think about what that truly means. These guys have a limited amount of time to make money. If you were one of the best 5 people in the world at your job and had to work for a fraction of what the other people were making, you would feel disrespected too. And you would probably do whatever it took to get what you deserved. Just because we are talking about millions versus thousands doesn't change anything. The principals are the same. Wether it's a superstar athlete or a kid working at Burger King. They are going to go where the money is. It's a job.

Anyway, I'm glad they worked it out and Vince is staying.

Sections
Shortcuts