Willie Mac Point Total

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Willie Mac Point Total

As many fans have commented about, our defense hasn't been the same since Willie Mac left.  Might have something to do with Romeo too...  Anyway, Willie made big plays consistently when it mattered most.  I said I wouldn't care about big numbers this year and would focus on big plays; who makes them.  For this game, I give the following Willie Mac points:

Brandon Merriweather: 1.  His strip near the end of the game was a classical Willie Mac play.  A lot of us thought he would step up this year.  He did.

Pierre Woods: .5  Brandon was most responsible for the strip, but Woods finished it.

Banta-Cain: 1.  We needed a sack to force Buffalo to run out of time after their last TO.  He came through.

We know the offense has a lot of play makers.  The Willie Mac points are for defensive players who make key plays at the most critical times of the game.  for example, when the other team is making a final drive for a go ahead score, or a key play that changes momentum in the game when the Pats are behind.  In other words, it's not for just any interception or sack, or tackle in the backfield. 

Did I miss any play?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Re: Willie Mac Point Total

I agree they had a few clutch plays. And it's good to see two things, one, that they are able to make a stop at the end of a game. That has been missing for a while now. The second thing was Brady. He looked a bit tentative on his knee at first, but when they had to get it done he took care of business. By October they should be putting up 30-40 points a game again. My main concern was with the tackling. Too many big plays by the bills' backup RB. They need to take better angles and wrap the guy up in space a whole lot better. Hopefully Mayo will return soon. They missed him when it came time to pressure Edwards, which they should have been able to do a lot more than they did last night. Still, they managed to pull victory "from the jaws of defeat", as it were! That reminded me of the 03 and 04 teams.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Re: Willie Mac Point Total

In Response to Willie Mac Point Total:
    As many fans have commented about, our defense hasn't been the same since Willie Mac left.  Might have something to do with Romeo too...  Anyway, Willie made big plays consistently when it mattered most.  I said I wouldn't care about big numbers this year and would focus on big plays; who makes them.  For this game, I give the following Willie Mac points: Brandon Merriweather: 1.  His strip near the end of the game was a classical Willie Mac play.  A lot of us thought he would step up this year.  He did. Pierre Woods: .5  Brandon was most responsible for the strip, but Woods finished it. Banta-Cain: 1.  We needed a sack to force Buffalo to run out of time after their last TO.  He came through. We know the offense has a lot of play makers.  The Willie Mac points are for defensive players who make key plays at the most critical times of the game.  for example, when the other team is making a final drive for a go ahead score, or a key play that changes momentum in the game when the Pats are behind.  In other words, it's not for just any interception or sack, or tackle in the backfield.  Did I miss any play?
    Posted by carawaydj

DJ,

I might add a ghost point for Wilfork on the sack/safety turned into horrendous call. I'd almost dock Thomas a point for the roughing call as he does get the extra jam in, but it was still pretty iffy to call. 

You know, the announcers kept saying that Woods finished the strip, but on the replay from the Pats sideline, it looked to me that it was clearly out with Merriweather's strip. Just wondering how others saw it.

Either way, a great play. Does anyone know if that is how the Pats are coached? It looked to me at times as if the first hitter was really only trying to slow the ball carrier down without bringing him down so a second defender could go for the strip. I know Merriweather is always going for the ball sometimes giving up a few more yards as he doesn't get the runner down.

Sections
Shortcuts