Willie McGinest: For or Against.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Willie McGinest: For or Against.

Just wanted to know what most Pats fans are thinking about a possible McGinest return.  Are you for or against?  I'm against Willie returning to the Pats, but I would rather see the young guys get some playing time and I see little value in McGinest returning to the Pats.  Most likely he would get injured and we would be relying on the younger players anyhow. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: Willie McGinest: For or Against.

His sack total has droped big time since he left the Pats, that is either due to being on a bad team or a drop in his skills due to age. Yes he is a great guy to have on the team and in the locker room but i agree he would hinder the progress of guys like Woods and Crable. I say we stick with what we got. If he wanted to retire a Pat he should have taken less money to remain a Pat teh way Bruschi always has.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Against. Time to see what the young kids can do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

It sounds if all of the interest is coming from Big Willie and not the Pats, so I think the point is moot. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Re: Willie McGinest: For or Against.:
    [QUOTE]It sounds if all of the interest is coming from Big Willie and not the Pats, so I think the point is moot. 
    Posted by BrooklineRob[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't rule out the Pats pulling the trigger completely on bringing in McGinest.  The Pats have a long history of signing players considered finished.  Bryan Cox is the first to come to mind.  While other players have worked out, like Phifer and Seau. I don't think Willie will work out as well.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chiefs cutting Vrabel.  I would rather see him back than Willie.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Oh for love of god, against. 

Listen, I love the guy but this is worse than Troy Brown taking up a roster spot in his last season.  He's just not going to contribute.  He didn't want to renogiate his contract in 2006 so the team and he parted ways.  That's the end of the story.  At the time it was somewhat shocking but I would say, unless he takes a massive discount and is far better shape than I expect, it's a definite no for 2009.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I think Willie should come back to the PAT's... then immediately retire.

Big Mac was my favorite PAT when he was here but the years of Pete Carroll playing Willie as a 4/3 end took its toll on him.  Maybe he comes back for a season (to coach basically) and fill in if injuries take hold but it will be for the vet minimum and he won't start.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Willie McGinest: For or Against. : I wouldn't rule out the Pats pulling the trigger completely on bringing in McGinest.  The Pats have a long history of signing players considered finished.  Bryan Cox is the first to come to mind.  While other players have worked out, like Phifer and Seau. I don't think Willie will work out as well.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chiefs cutting Vrabel.  I would rather see him back than Willie.
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

Grogan

By all accounts, Willie is not a feared pass rusher anymore, so his value there is very limited if nonexistent.  Can he still set the edge against the run like Vrabel did?  Highly unlikely.  He didn't produce much in Cleveland the past two years, outside of maybe some veteran leadership.  I don't see McGinest's value as a part time player since he doesn't excel at either of those two roles anymore.  And he doesn't play special teams.  I'd bet that Woods and Crable split duties at one LB spot, opposite Adalius Thomas.    

I was a big Willie fan back in the day.  But I'd guess that #55 won't be back to finish his career here.  As for Vrabel, I'm told by a coworker that he has a roster bonus that virtually guarantees that he makes the final Chiefs roster.        

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rmcd. Show rmcd's posts

The play of Mayo illustrates that the game belongs to young legs. 37 is too old to play LB in this league.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Against.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Willie McGinest: For or Against.:
    [QUOTE]Just wanted to know what most Pats fans are thinking about a possible McGinest return.  Are you for or against?  I'm against Willie returning to the Pats, but I would rather see the young guys get some playing time and I see little value in McGinest returning to the Pats.  Most likely he would get injured and we would be relying on the younger players anyhow. 
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE] we could always be stuck with someone like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOevAF9SiFo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm sitting on the fence,sorry I remember the guy who had the inteligence to fake an injury late in a playoff game against the colts which helped get the guys some oxygen while he faked his injury,which turned out to be the difference between winning and losing,oh by the way we won! So with that still lodged in my memory I'd say there is no harm in bringing him into camp to see if he can hang with the kids and be productive,if he can he has something that even one of the potential replacements for Vrabel has and thats experience.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

I wanted to clearify a bit.

I don't want NE to bring Willie in, but if there are some mid-season injuries, I'd be for bringing him in for that (mush like Colvin ans Seau last year).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I would say "against", if all I did was look at it logically.  I'll say "for" if I factor in the intangibles Willie displayed as a Pat.  His best games were in the big games.  I wouldn't have him on the initial roster, but he would be the first person I called in case of an injury to someone else.  I really loved the way Willie stepped up when it mattered most.  I can sum up Willie best by imagining him being on the 2007 team.  Had Willie been part of the Pats 2007 team, he might have played less than half of the defensive snaps, and only had 3 sacks for the year.  However, each of his three sacks would have come in the playoffs with the 3rd one being on that last drive by the Giants.  Isn't that what has been missing from the Pats since our last SB win; more players who despite their statistics, played their best when it mattered most?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

No thanks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

In Response to Willie McGinest: For or Against.:
    [QUOTE]Just wanted to know what most Pats fans are thinking about a possible McGinest return.  Are you for or against?  I'm against Willie returning to the Pats, but I would rather see the young guys get some playing time and I see little value in McGinest returning to the Pats.  Most likely he would get injured and we would be relying on the younger players anyhow. 
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

Against: Great Patriot player whose best Patriot days are behing him - I am all for getting younger on defense and not trying to bring in old veterans - we have to get younger on defense - let Crable have a chance - I love Willie though!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]I would say "against", if all I did was look at it logically.  I'll say "for" if I factor in the intangibles Willie displayed as a Pat.  His best games were in the big games.  I wouldn't have him on the initial roster, but he would be the first person I called in case of an injury to someone else.  I really loved the way Willie stepped up when it mattered most.  I can sum up Willie best by imagining him being on the 2007 team.  Had Willie been part of the Pats 2007 team, he might have played less than half of the defensive snaps, and only had 3 sacks for the year.  However, each of his three sacks would have come in the playoffs with the 3rd one being on that last drive by the Giants.  Isn't that what has been missing from the Pats since our last SB win; more players who despite their statistics, played their best when it mattered most?
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Man, you hit the nail on the head! For the last two plus years I've been saying the biggest problem with the defense is that they never really replaced Willie Mac. When their balls were to the wall, Willie reached down deep inside and came up with a huge play. He was the "closer" in so many of their close wins back in the SB years. And his stats weren't too shabby, either. I believe he still holds the record for most postseason sacks. As for SB 42, I was myself sitting there (on the edge of my seat) during that last heartbreaking drive, thinking "where's Willie when you need him?" Rodney, Asante, and AD came close. McGinest would have "got 'er done"! I agree he's not the player he once was, and should not be considered as a starter. But if they got into a situation like that again, I'd want him on the field. I wouldn't have a problem with them signing him again. My only concern would be that possibly another promising young guy would get the axe to make room on the 53 man roster. And then that guy would undoubtably be signed by either the Jests or Fins, and likely have a great year! I suppose all we can do is trust BB to make the right call. At the least I'd hope Willie would sign for one day to retire as a Patriot. Other than Tom Brady, he has had the greatest impact on this team, IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I'd say the Pats D has never fully recovered from the loss of Mc Ginest and Law. I hope Bodden is the physical CB I hope he will be and that our OLBs (Thomas) can stay healthy and one of our young OLBs (Woods or Crable) can step up his game. It'd be nice to see Big Willie retire in a Pats uni, but not at the chance of jeopardizing the future of an increasingly young LB corps. The young 'uns need reps to get better and signing Willie would be a short term answer to what is shaping up to be a long term problem (consisitent pass rush).The Pats have a load of draft picks in 2010 with which to find some long term solutions to any problems they have on defense. That is usually the best way to acquire value picks that can contribute on D.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

[QUOTE]I'd say the Pats D has never fully recovered from the loss of Mc Ginest and Law. I hope Bodden is the physical CB I hope he will be and that our OLBs (Thomas) can stay healthy and one of our young OLBs (Woods or Crable) can step up his game. It'd be nice to see Big Willie retire in a Pats uni, but not at the chance of jeopardizing the future of an increasingly young LB corps. The young 'uns need reps to get better and signing Willie would be a short term answer to what is shaping up to be a long term problem (consisitent pass rush).The Pats have a load of draft picks in 2010 with which to find some long term solutions to any problems they have on defense. That is usually the best way to acquire value picks that can contribute on D.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]
    I completely agree with your post...I'm starting to really agree with your astute observations John.

In terms of replacing him, you're right, we never truly did.  He was a mainstay that was physically imposing but I would stop slightly short of saying teams needed to gameplan around him.

When he left it was a blow just because he meant so much to the team but we still had the logistics in place: Vrabel and Colvin poised to make a comeback.  It just didn't work out exactly as planned because of injuries and lack of overall depth.  And, as you alluded to, that has continued to be an issue.  Bottom line is we need more young blood rather than cycling the same guys back in.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

Big fan of willie, but if he had anything left they would have already signed him.
    I don't see him coming back, and will probably retire before the season begins.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

I love Willie but he is too old and slow at this point in his career

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

Definitely FOR this.

Not that I don't want to see what the kids can do, but I want to see him back to bring some in some experience in case they aren't up to snuff.  I'm all for putting the young kids in, but I'd love to see Willie back as depth.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

We have Teddy Bruschi to "teach" the young guys we dont need Willie, if he wanted to retire a Pat he should have taken less money to stay the way Bruschi always has. Teddy Bruschi does not even have an agent, he works out his deals by himself because he has a very simple game plan for getting a contract, he wants to be paid fairly and he wants to stay in NE so he will always take less then he could get in order to stay in NE. WIllie should have done the same thing but he didnt so now he can sit back and watch win one with out him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Love willie but dont think he will be a Pat this year. Of course the only way I will change my mind is if Bill thinks he can contribute to the team and I as most of you live by this motto, "in Bill I trust" :)

Go Pats!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

I was for Willie to never leave but now it seems too little too late. If Willie was on the 2006 and 2007 team i think our D would of gotten us 2 more rings.

Sections
Shortcuts