Winners and Losers...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Winners and Losers...

Last night's preseason game was interesting. I know it's only exhibition, but it's still nice to see NE light another team up.

Winners

Taylor Price: was anyone else impressed by second year wideout Taylor Price? Judging from the game thread, I know they were. He literally dominated his reps. A couple fantastic yac-cers, and a highlight real two-toe-tap TD. I think most impressive to me was how consistently he made whatever CB Jax put on him look as meager and inanimate as Tiny Tim's crutch. Even on designed run plays to the opposite side of the field, he was blowing his man off the ball. He literally didn't take a play off. IMO, when he was on the field, he looked like the best player on the field ... and that includes Hoyer who was very good.

Stevan Ridley: Go Tigers, ahem. With that out of the way, rookie RB Ridley really made the most of the reps he was given. He showcased the major assett of his, his initial quickness. Like I said before the draft, he is incredibly quick for a man his size. He has ten lbs on BJGE but has snappier feet. I think this was evident on his first run of the game, where the play was blown up, but he still managed to wiggle once, and round the corner for a five yard gain. He also showed another skill, where he was tremendousl effective at LSU ... short yardage/goal line.

Dane Fletcher: Sophomore ILB Fletcher looked more than game ready. He looked outright explosive registering six tackles and two TFLs. He really showed Guyton up. Seriously. I never liked Guyton as a starter but dig him as a sub. After tonight's game, if (heaven forfend) Spikes or Mayo goes down, I will feel alright about Fletcher getting reps.

Honorable Mention: Jermaine Cunningham; He didn't dominate, but really looked the part as the old Charles Haley type hybrid DE. He had one sack, and another pressure that forced Gabbart into the waiting arms of unkown Landon Cohen. It was nice to see BB using this kind of 4-3 setup cleverly. On one play Jax motioned their TE to Cunningham's side, to sniff out who had him in 'man.' Cunningham, of course, stood up and lined up over the TE, but once the play started, headed for the QB anyhow. It reminded me of how BB used Willie McGinest. It's plays like this that show how a four man front can be very, very clever. After what has been described as a rough camp for Jermaine, it was nice to see him look good!

Losers

Wilhite and Butler: I'll keep these guys together. But they looked like they weren't even playing with fire, which is scary because on a team that is loaded at CB all of a sudden, they are playing for their jobs.

Gary Guyton: Guyton didn't look bad at all, but really just looked out of place next to Dane Fletcher. If I could only carry three ILBs, and had to choose between the two as my third, I wouldn't hesitate to cut Guyton. That isn't saying much, considering Guyton has two seasons on the kid.

Aaron Hernandez: Look. He looked every bt the rare athlete. He was open. He had six catches for 64 yards, including a nice RAC for 20. He looked like a matchup problem .... we know this. He also put the rock on the ground twice. coming off a season where he had issues securing passes, leading the team in drops, one would hope he would have a clean night. Regardless, it is very evident the kid is a weapon. Let's hope he protects the ball better.

Your thoughts? Other players who stepped up or looked like they needed to improve?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

Re: Winners and Losers...

Just saw the highlights, but thx Zeb for your analysis.
    Always interested in reading your posts. Keep them coming! :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

I've already made up my mind that I'm going to Kiss Dane Fletcher's Buttt on every thread today. He was everywhere last night and looked like Mayo or Spikes is supposed to look like. On a night when we were Pretty Vanilla on D he was a disruptive force.

I agree on Price also and would like to add I was Pleasantly surprised by Ryan Mallet. His numbers were good but what I was most impressed with was his ability to throw the ball downfield confidently and acurately. No wonder why the Pats liked him so much. Cannon for an arm too!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Losers:

Butler -- bye bye
    Meriweather ---  1 more year and gone (if not sooner)
    Tate & Edelman ---- I move both Price and Slater ahead of both of them on my depth chart.  If Tate isn't on the PUP list to start the season, one of these guys  or both are gone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Winners and Losers...:
    Losers: Butler -- bye bye Meriweather ---  1 more year and gone (if not sooner) Tate & Edelman ---- I move both Price and Slater ahead of both of them on my depth chart.  If Tate isn't on the PUP list to start the season, one of these guys  or both are gone.
    Posted by Patsman3

Right. So who looked great to you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Just saw the highlights, but thx Zeb for your analysis. Always interested in reading your posts. Keep them coming! :-)
    Posted by FrogLegs

Thanks Frog Legs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I've already made up my mind that I'm going to Kiss Dane Fletcher's Buttt on every thread today. He was everywhere last night and looked like Mayo or Spikes is supposed to look like. On a night when we were Pretty Vanilla on D he was a disruptive force. I agree on Price also and would like to add I was Pleasantly surprised by Ryan Mallet. His numbers were good but what I was most impressed with was his ability to throw the ball downfield confidently and acurately. No wonder why the Pats liked him so much. Cannon for an arm too!!!
    Posted by Rerun85

Yeah. Hoier and Mallet looked good too.

I hadMallet on the top of my QB list, adn thought Indy might take a stab before NE. After watching him conduct an NFL offense, I am convinced even more of his talent.

Yea Dane Fletcher looked great.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In Response to Re: Winners and Losers... : Right. So who looked great to you?
    Posted by zbellino

Ah everyone you mentioned I agreed with.  I would throw in both QB's as well.

Also was good to see guys back from injury and looking solid --- Ghost, Bodden, Herdz. (as long as he holds onto the ball). 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I've already made up my mind that I'm going to Kiss Dane Fletcher's Buttt on every thread today. He was everywhere last night and looked like Mayo or Spikes is supposed to look like. On a night when we were Pretty Vanilla on D he was a disruptive force. I agree on Price also and would like to add I was Pleasantly surprised by Ryan Mallet. His numbers were good but what I was most impressed with was his ability to throw the ball downfield confidently and acurately. No wonder why the Pats liked him so much. Cannon for an arm too!!!
    Posted by Rerun85

Let me reach a bit here.  Fletcher looked a bit like that guy we passed on that ended up playing real well for the Packers......Clay Mathews.  Still to early to say that, but he has a charged motor too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

do we need more olb help?
    backup interior lineman?

only saw brief highlights. reading a bit.
    will try and watch and get back.

but first answer who i wanted to get excited about this year was price 1, ras 2, vereen 3.

tate on the edge of this team i think.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Winners and Losers... : Let me reach a bit here.  Fletcher looked a bit like that guy we passed on that ended up playing real well for the Packers......Clay Mathews.  Still to early to say that, but he has a charged motor too.
    Posted by carawaydj

He does have that kind of motor and quickness and metrics. The funny bit is that he played DE/OLB at Montana, but BB only gets him reps inside.

I wonder why that is? Maybe he is better in straight lines than around the corner?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonhoop74. Show jonhoop74's posts

How do you put Jermaine Cunningham in the Losers category?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

How do you put Jermaine Cunningham in the Losers category?
    Posted by jonhoop74

I didn't he is sort of an honorable mention. He didn't blow my mind, but he looked more comfortable playing the hybrid role. It was more about how bad people had said he looked in 1 on 1's and how good he looked last night.

But Price, Fletcher, and Ridley looked better. As did Mallet and Hoier.

*edit* I edited it to group him with the "winners." Perhaps it makes it easier to understand. Thanks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey Z,

I think you're being a bit overly critical of Hernandez. That first fumble I'm not sure how many players could have kept it, honestly. That was just a very well placed helmet to ball hit. That second fumble though was all Hernandez.

Cunningham was in the OLB position (save a couple of plays) all night. When he tossed his hand down it was way outside the T position making him a straight rusher not included on the line. Overall BB had a very good mix of 34's with heavy Jacks, 43's, and even some 52's.

It looks like BB is testing his backup's to see which formation they best fit in right now telling me he's going with a very fluid defensive system that's going to change from play to play, let alone from game to game.

Anderson looked pretty decent too. He was doing what Cunningham needs to learn. It's not always about sacks but just to make the QB feel pressure and move around. Anderson forced the blocker backwards on occasion causing the QB to look his way and he also tossed his arms in the QB's line of sight. Cunningham needs to stop being pushed around the QB and get his long arms in his line of sight and push the blocker backwards to start collapsing the pocket

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In Response to Winners and Losers...:
    Last night's preseason game was interesting. I know it's only exhibition, but it's still nice to see NE light another team up. Winners Taylor Price: was anyone else impressed by second year wideout Taylor Price? Judging from the game thread, I know they were. He literally dominated his reps. A couple fantastic yac-cers, and a highlight real two-toe-tap TD. I think most impressive to me was how consistently he made whatever CB Jax put on him look as meager and inanimate as Tiny Tim's crutch. Even on designed run plays to the opposite side of the field, he was blowing his man off the ball. He literally didn't take a play off. IMO, when he was on the field, he looked like the best player on the field ... and that includes Hoyer who was very good. Stevan Ridley: Go Tigers, ahem. With that out of the way, rookie RB Ridley really made the most of the reps he was given. He showcased the major assett of his, his initial quickness. Like I said before the draft, he is incredibly quick for a man his size. He has ten lbs on BJGE but has snappier feet. I think this was evident on his first run of the game, where the play was blown up, but he still managed to wiggle once, and round the corner for a five yard gain. He also showed another skill, where he was tremendousl effective at LSU ... short yardage/goal line. Dane Fletcher: Sophomore ILB Fletcher looked more than game ready. He looked outright explosive registering six tackles and two TFLs. He really showed Guyton up. Seriously. I never liked Guyton as a starter but dig him as a sub. After tonight's game, if (heaven forfend) Spikes or Mayo goes down, I will feel alright about Fletcher getting reps. Honorable Mention: Jermaine Cunningham; He didn't dominate, but really looked the part as the old Charles Haley type hybrid DE. He had one sack, and another pressure that forced Gabbart into the waiting arms of unkown Landon Cohen. It was nice to see BB using this kind of 4-3 setup cleverly. On one play Jax motioned their TE to Cunningham's side, to sniff out who had him in 'man.' Cunningham, of course, stood up and lined up over the TE, but once the play started, headed for the QB anyhow. It reminded me of how BB used Willie McGinest. It's plays like this that show how a four man front can be very, very clever. After what has been described as a rough camp for Jermaine, it was nice to see him look good! Losers Wilhite and Butler: I'll keep these guys together. But they looked like they weren't even playing with fire, which is scary because on a team that is loaded at CB all of a sudden, they are playing for their jobs. Gary Guyton: Guyton didn't look bad at all, but really just looked out of place next to Dane Fletcher. If I could only carry three ILBs, and had to choose between the two as my third, I wouldn't hesitate to cut Guyton. That isn't saying much, considering Guyton has two seasons on the kid. Aaron Hernandez: Look. He looked every bt the rare athlete. He was open. He had six catches for 64 yards, including a nice RAC for 20. He looked like a matchup problem .... we know this. He also put the rock on the ground twice. coming off a season where he had issues securing passes, leading the team in drops, one would hope he would have a clean night. Regardless, it is very evident the kid is a weapon. Let's hope he protects the ball better. Your thoughts? Other players who stepped up or looked like they needed to improve?
    Posted by zbellino

Nice job.  I think you covered all the bases. 

I hate to dwell on a negative, but like you said, Hernandez must not put the ball on the ground.  He is a 1st team player, unlike some of these other guys.  No excuses.  It looks like a lack of awareness more than technique.  I'm sure BB and the staff will be all over him and if he doesn't correct this he will sit.

Overall, very impressive game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Nice summary Z.  I didn't get to watch the game (wasn't on in the Toronto area, except for some snippets of action that NFL Network was airing periodically), but I'm looking forward to seeing the full game this afternoon when it's replayed on NFL Network.  Most interested in seeing how the defense performed.  Sounds like the front seven was pretty stout but the secondary may have struggled.  

I spent most of the evening switching between NFL Network and the drubbing of the Eskimos by the Alouettes in CFL action.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Nice summary Z.  I didn't get to watch the game (wasn't on in the Toronto area, except for some snippets of action that NFL Network was airing periodically), but I'm looking forward to seeing the full game this afternoon when it's replayed on NFL Network.  Most interested in seeing how the defense performed.  Sounds like the front seven was pretty stout but the secondary may have struggled.   I spent most of the evening switching between NFL Network and the drubbing of the Eskimos by the Alouettes in CFL action.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Prolate---I was able to watch it online----With only a few occasional freezes, very few....at www.firstrowsports.eu/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

In Response to Re: Winners and Losers... : Prolate---I was able to watch it online----With only a few occasional freezes, very few....at  www.firstrowsports.eu/
    Posted by Rocky

I watched it there also, unfortunatly I didnt find out about it till the 2nd half. A little hard to follow at times but didnt Farnum have a real good game? Did he play both ways?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Winners and Losers... : Prolate---I was able to watch it online----With only a few occasional freezes, very few....at  www.firstrowsports.eu/
    Posted by Rocky

Thanks Rocky . . . I've got to look into that.  I have a good cable sports package that gives me all the regular season games, but that package doesn't include the preseason games.  The NFL sells a package in Canada that includes preseason and also some of the coaches film (which would be cool to see), but it costs $250+ a year and my HD sports package on cable (which includes all NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA games) is already costing $360 a year. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Looks good Z, I'd add the kicker to the winners list.  Nice consist deep kickoffs and he had a lot of opportunities.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In Response to Re: Winners and Losers... : Let me reach a bit here.  Fletcher looked a bit like that guy we passed on that ended up playing real well for the Packers......Clay Mathews.  Still to early to say that, but he has a charged motor too.
    Posted by carawaydj

We can Hope..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

Hey Z, I think you're being a bit overly critical of Hernandez. That first fumble I'm not sure how many players could have kept it, honestly. That was just a very well placed helmet to ball hit. That second fumble though was all Hernandez. Cunningham was in the OLB position (save a couple of plays) all night. When he tossed his hand down it was way outside the T position making him a straight rusher not included on the line. Overall BB had a very good mix of 34's with heavy Jacks, 43's, and even some 52's. It looks like BB is testing his backup's to see which formation they best fit in right now telling me he's going with a very fluid defensive system that's going to change from play to play, let alone from game to game. Anderson looked pretty decent too. He was doing what Cunningham needs to learn. It's not always about sacks but just to make the QB feel pressure and move around. Anderson forced the blocker backwards on occasion causing the QB to look his way and he also tossed his arms in the QB's line of sight. Cunningham needs to stop being pushed around the QB and get his long arms in his line of sight and push the blocker backwards to start collapsing the pocket
    Posted by PatsEng

Good post pat, but I somewhat agree with Z on Hernandez. Its not just last nights game. This was a problem last year. I really believe the only way we lose a game this year, is if we turn the ball over. I dont think there is a team in the league who can play us straight up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Winners and Losers...:
    Last night's preseason game was interesting. I know it's only exhibition, but it's still nice to see NE light another team up. Winners Taylor Price: was anyone else impressed by second year wideout Taylor Price? Judging from the game thread, I know they were. He literally dominated his reps. A couple fantastic yac-cers, and a highlight real two-toe-tap TD. I think most impressive to me was how consistently he made whatever CB Jax put on him look as meager and inanimate as Tiny Tim's crutch. Even on designed run plays to the opposite side of the field, he was blowing his man off the ball. He literally didn't take a play off. IMO, when he was on the field, he looked like the best player on the field ... and that includes Hoyer who was very good. Stevan Ridley: Go Tigers, ahem. With that out of the way, rookie RB Ridley really made the most of the reps he was given. He showcased the major assett of his, his initial quickness. Like I said before the draft, he is incredibly quick for a man his size. He has ten lbs on BJGE but has snappier feet. I think this was evident on his first run of the game, where the play was blown up, but he still managed to wiggle once, and round the corner for a five yard gain. He also showed another skill, where he was tremendousl effective at LSU ... short yardage/goal line. Dane Fletcher: Sophomore ILB Fletcher looked more than game ready. He looked outright explosive registering six tackles and two TFLs. He really showed Guyton up. Seriously. I never liked Guyton as a starter but dig him as a sub. After tonight's game, if (heaven forfend) Spikes or Mayo goes down, I will feel alright about Fletcher getting reps. Honorable Mention: Jermaine Cunningham; He didn't dominate, but really looked the part as the old Charles Haley type hybrid DE. He had one sack, and another pressure that forced Gabbart into the waiting arms of unkown Landon Cohen. It was nice to see BB using this kind of 4-3 setup cleverly. On one play Jax motioned their TE to Cunningham's side, to sniff out who had him in 'man.' Cunningham, of course, stood up and lined up over the TE, but once the play started, headed for the QB anyhow. It reminded me of how BB used Willie McGinest. It's plays like this that show how a four man front can be very, very clever. After what has been described as a rough camp for Jermaine, it was nice to see him look good! Losers Wilhite and Butler: I'll keep these guys together. But they looked like they weren't even playing with fire, which is scary because on a team that is loaded at CB all of a sudden, they are playing for their jobs. Gary Guyton: Guyton didn't look bad at all, but really just looked out of place next to Dane Fletcher. If I could only carry three ILBs, and had to choose between the two as my third, I wouldn't hesitate to cut Guyton. That isn't saying much, considering Guyton has two seasons on the kid. Aaron Hernandez: Look. He looked every bt the rare athlete. He was open. He had six catches for 64 yards, including a nice RAC for 20. He looked like a matchup problem .... we know this. He also put the rock on the ground twice. coming off a season where he had issues securing passes, leading the team in drops, one would hope he would have a clean night. Regardless, it is very evident the kid is a weapon. Let's hope he protects the ball better. Your thoughts? Other players who stepped up or looked like they needed to improve?
    Posted by zbellino

I wasn't all that impressed with Cunningham, I thought Anderson showed more (at least as a pass rusher). 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

pats d open in a 3-4 with love over the nose, moore on the right and cunningham on the left... nink, fletcher, guyton, cant recall other guy on right outside...outside so the d is going to go back and forth on the formations

price is the same type of reciever as branch and chad so those guys will be the ones under the pressure...though julien did also line up on the outside early...
    i want to see price more against top line guys... but he had a good night..
    liked weston(66) and love(74) together in the middle later in the game...they are both keepers..

imo... young drafted players will have to be clearly beaten out by veterans...but I think they will keep 6 recievers anyway....  morris looks to be in trouble with ridleys performance....faulk will stay on pup early in season...  and it doesnt look like butler corrected his inability to cover anyone...  

safety play wasnt great either... thought gabbert looked pretty good for a rookie as did mallett...real impressed with him  pats look deep man!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

Winners: Price, Riddley, Gostkowski

Losers:

Faulk, Morris, or perhaps even Woodhead.  One of these guys, all of whom I love will not make the final roster unless one of the rookies is on IR by opening week.  My guess is Faulk, especially if Edelman makes the team.

Edelman, Tate, or perhaps even Branch.  diddo above.  Hard to believe that Slater won't make the team.  Soooo with Ocho, Welker, and now Price as fixtures, there just aren't enough slots.  Tate is most likely to go but if I'm Dionne Branch I'm first in line for every practice drill over the next three weeks.  With all the money that was spent in the last 10 days his $3M might be too tempting to take back.

Sections
Shortcuts