Winning Close Games...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Winning Close Games...

It came up in another thread so I just did a little bit of research. The really change in the Patriots since the Super Bowl winning teams is the ability to win close games.

From 2001-2004 with Brady at QB, the Patriots were 25-5 (.833) in games decided by 7 points or less. That is actually better than their record of 32-9 (.780) in games decided by 8 points or more. 

Starting from 2009-today the Pats are 10-12 (.454) in games decided by 7 points or less and 33-5 (.833) in games decided by 8 or more. 

That is an extremely dramatic change. We can sit here and argue over whether it is Brady or the defense's fault that they cannot win those games, but the fact is they do not win them the way the once did...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: Winning Close Games...

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

It came up in another thread so I just did a little bit of research. The really change in the Patriots since the Super Bowl winning teams is the ability to win close games.

From 2001-2004 with Brady at QB, the Patriots were 25-5 (.833) in games decided by 7 points or less. That is actually better than their record of 32-9 (.780) in games decided by 8 points or more. 

Starting from 2009-today the Pats are 10-12 (.454) in games decided by 7 points or less and 33-5 (.833) in games decided by 8 or more. 

That is an extremely dramatic change. We can sit here and argue over whether it is Brady or the defense's fault that they cannot win those games, but the fact is they do not win them the way the once did...

They didn't make all of the mistakes back then that they do now. Is it because this team is so much younger? Is it coaching? They played well enough to actually win last Sunday but in the end the mistakes doomed them. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

They didn't make all of the mistakes back then that they do now. Is it because this team is so much younger? Is it coaching? They played well enough to actually win last Sunday but in the end the mistakes doomed them. 

In those years every player really focussed on doing there job from start to finish. Simple.

I think they have lost their concentration and discipline. It might be that BB has softened a bit, might be they take winning the division for granted.

The difference between winning and losing is small, almost every game in the NFL comes down to 3 -4 plays. It is definately the mistakes, cause in many ways they are more dominant than they were then, mistakes are sinking them.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I find myself thinking we hang tough in close games. It seems like we have trouble holding onto leads.

And there-in lies Pandora's Box.

When the other team is behind in the 4th quarter they start chucking the ball all over the the place. Then the Pat's issues at D Back rear it's not so pretty head. A few easy touch downs and the next thing you know a defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory. 

I worry that some Coach is gonna start the game by winging the damn ball all over the place to go after the Pats D back troubles.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Lmao.  The Jets have exactly 0 skill players that would be on New England's roster.  Sanchez wouldn't even crack the practice squad.  Harris is the only LB that would even have a shot in New England and he has not played well this year.  The rest of your pathetic LB corps are a bunch of JAGs.  So please continue to harp on draft picks BB has cut.  At least he has the balls to do it.  Tannenbaum and Rex just start the scrubs every Sunday.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The D stinks. The sooner any in denial just face that reality, the better. The question is, how do we fix that. As I have said for years, we need somebody to step in and draft worth a dayam.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to PhatRex's comment:

That post has graduated you to idiot of the day.... naaa... month

The truth hurts.  I know.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

Not trying to bash the defense, because I think they will get better, but when was the last time the defense actually won a game for us in the last five minutes of a game.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to brazilnut's comment:

Not trying to bash the defense, because I think they will get better, but when was the last time the defense actually won a game for us in the last five minutes of a game.

How about week 2 vs Arizona when they forced a fumble to give the offense the ball back in position to win the game in the last two minutes?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:

two thoughts: the pats have long been built to win blow outs but their style of O and a less opportunistic D make them vulnerable when its close ie: too many 30 pt blowouts also means the team on both sides of the ball are less mentally/emotionally seasoned at holding close leads and coming from behind

also, there are some players that weren't around in 01-04 that have had a little bit of success and that those Pats teams never had to face named Eli Manning, Aaron Rogers, Ben Rothlesberger, Drew Brees (around but not the Saints Brees) even Joe Flacco

Jints, there are probably many here who will vouch for the play of the Pats in those SB winning years versus today as being more of the "full game" variety.  Back then, the Pats had so many close games they had no choice but to keep up their intensity for 60 minutes.  How many times they stole victory from the jaws of defeat back then, it happened a lot.  Then as the offense started to become a juggernaut, generally winning by 3 or more scores into the 4th quarter, the defense would go on cruise control.  Today, that "extra" gear does not seem to be in the team when games are close late and the opponent has the momentum.  Let's call it the "killer instinct" as we now see other teams do it to the Pats late when it used to be the other way around.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

This is gold...exactly the numbers I was looking for...I'm stealiing it for another thread response.  +1

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucela. Show pucela's posts

Check this

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8517311/have-tom-brady-new-england-patriots-lost-their-fourth-quarter-magic

in particular, read about Brady's QBR in games with leads of less of 1 TD, and who it compares with...

yikes!

The thing is, we've all felt the same thing, it's just awful to look at that stat

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucela. Show pucela's posts

No, it's certainly not all about Brady. It's just not happening and he's part of the conversation as he was when the Pats used to win the close games. Fairness all around.

In response to JintsFan's comment:

In response to pucela's comment:

Check this

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8517311/have-tom-brady-new-england-patriots-lost-their-fourth-quarter-magic

in particular, read about Brady's QBR in games with leads of less of 1 TD, and who it compares with...

yikes!

The thing is, we've all felt the same thing, it's just awful to look at that stat

and its all his fault? what about the o-line, the rbs, dropped passes, the opposing d?

Sections
Shortcuts