Winning isn't very important to Vince Wilfork.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Winning isn't very important to Vince Wilfork.

I don't normally read the hacks at ESPN. But I did see this article http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4863296

"There's a short window of opportunity for me to make the type of money that I want to make," Wilfork said. "I'm not selling my family short and I'm definitely not selling myself short just to stay back and to win and be part of a great organization.

Basically, winning is nice. But all that really matters is money. Maybe that's the problem- too many Wilforks on this team. And not enough Troy Browns and Rodney Harrisons. Guys that would give up anything, short of their family, for a champonship. I bet Curtis Martin would be more than happy to give up the extra money he got with the Jets for 3 Superbowl rings.

Losing just doesn't seem to bother this team the way it used to.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: Winning isn't very important to Vince Wilfork.

I have no problem with Vince. He was drafted in the 20's I think. 6 years ago. Not a 3, 4, or even a 5 year contract but a 6 year. 6. He played it out and he honored it. He never held out and caused any problems forcing the patriots hand.

The Pats can afford to pay him. He's a nose tackle not a DE. If he wants to be one of or "the" highest paid NT I am sure the pats can and would work something out. If he wants Albert Hayneswoth money then that is not happening and is unrealistic.

He's been a good player and person here in NE and I have no problem with him trying to get what he is worth. He's played hard, with passion and even when hurting.

Unfortunately for him the pieces did not fall his way, timing wise, and he really doesn't have much leverage with the uncapped year and rule changes during an uncapped year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

It's extremely unfair to blame Vince for thinking about his family's financial future.  Unlike many other free agent star athletes, he has NOT made big time money yet, and if his career ended with a major injury tomorrow, they would not be financially set for life.

If he had made $25 million already, that's one thing, but he absolutely has to secure his future first.  He has said he would like that to be with the Patriots, but he has every right to prioritize his family in this situation.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

You're not being fair.    Wilfork earned a good contract.   He's the best defensive lineman we have and we need to lock him up.    

The whole take a pay cut to win mantra is losing it's validity anyway.   The Pats haven't done much in a few years and this team has alot of holes.   There are more than a few teams on par with the Pats who would be willing to give Wilfork what he wants.   

Get off his back. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

~Just checked, year by year-What Vince Wilfork's Total Combined Salary Is After 6 Total Seasons: $5,475,000.  I'd like that...but it ain't cr#p for an NFL Player.  Look ALL, VW plays possibly the toughest (double teams), most thankless position (fewer stats/big plays) on a team that runs a 3-4 Defense like The New England Patriots do.  He's been humble, charismatic, a community person (charities & events), he's totally honored his FULL 6 Year Rookie Salary without complaint or holding out, So GOOD GOD-If Vince Wilfork Wants to be Paid Top 5 DefensiveLineman Money in the NFL, I say....let 'em walk.

~Now, IF VW wants top NT money...yes, but in no way make it the top 3.  VW's got this team behind the proverbial 8-ball, As there are far, Far too many overall positional needs that need skilled players...and heck, even simply positional starting players due to Free Agency, Age, and Injury.  Yet, VW's undersized, had his worse year so far, doesn't collapse the pocket as well as at least a FEW Other 3-4 NTs, is just a 2-down lineman, and Each and Every NFL Draft seemingly offers more and more possible 3-4 NTs (and this year's no exception).  So, Obviously What I mean to say is...pay the man

Pay him as a top 5 NT.  Do NOT by ANY Means, pay him as a top 5 D-Lineman.

<stats key of stats below is crooked diagonally />
    Example of 6 year stats of Vince Wilfork for playing in Pats' 3-4 D:

GGSCombTotalAstSckSFTYPDefIntYdsAvgLngTDsFF
    2009 New England Patriots 13 13 4331120.0--2----0.0----1
    2008 New England Patriots 16 16 6645212.0--1----0.0----0
    2007 New England Patriots 16 16 4836122.0--2----0.0----0
    2006 New England Patriots 13 13 5040101.0--1----0.0----0
    2005 New England Patriots 16 16 5440140.5--1----0.0----0
    2004 New England Patriots 16 6 4227152.0--3----0.0----0

Example of 5 year stats of Jay Ratliff for playing in Boys' 3-4 D:

GGSCombTotalAstSckSFTYPDefIntYdsAvgLngTDsFF
    2009 Dallas Cowboys 16 16 4029116.0--0----0.0----2
    2008 Dallas Cowboys 16 16 5133187.5--5----0.0----0
    2007 Dallas Cowboys 15 14 302193.0--4----0.0----0
    2006 Dallas Cowboys 15 0 181174.0--1----0.0----1
    2005 Dallas Cowboys 4 1 4221.0--0----0.0----0

of note
    : coulda done Jamal Williams's FIRST 6 years, or Kris Jenkins FIRST 6 years, or even Baltimore's NT (name?) first few years.  So man Belichick and Kraft, Open Up those tight purse strings you've had recently & PAY VW some real money already (NT-$...and not a dime more)!  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

I know this sounds funny, but I didn't intend to go after Wilfork. And I have absolutely no problem with a player going after every last penny they can get. Especially in football. It's a business. When fans talk about a player taking a home town discount I find it to be just as idiotic as when a player claims it's not about the money or spout things like the Ty Law "I gotta feed my family" garbage.

But making 66 million over 6 years or 32 million over 4 years makes no difference in the ability of a man to support his family. So family really is a non issue here. When you start talking about that kind of money the only real decision is (assuming you feel you've been treated fairly by your team and there is no bad blood) is how important winning is to you. If a championship contender offers you fair market value and you instead  go to highest bidder, then winning isn't that important to you.

I didn't want to single Wilfork out. I get the impression that a lot of other Pats have winning a championship lower on their priority list than it should be. He's just the only one that has made a comment like that

Guys like Jason Taylor. Who would rather suit up for the losing Dolphins (because he's  comfortable there) than take a shot at a Superbowl. Guys like that, I would rather not have on this team.

And on an unrelated note. Am I the only one that is a little nervous about the idea of throwing a boatload of money at the NT position? I love Vince. But I will be fine either way on this one 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"But making 66 million over 6 years or 32 million over 4 years makes no difference in the ability of a man to support his family." Dafoe 

"Just checked, year by year-What Vince Wilfork's Total Combined Salary Is After 6 Total Seasons: $5,475,000." Lazarus

...some or any poster respond if you can read my posts, please.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sebasatwork. Show sebasatwork's posts

In essence, no one can blame Wilfork…if he would get hurt, the organization will dump him in no time; there is no room for sentimentalism in NFL, but…if his core belief is “money over winning”, Pats should let him go and focus on somebody who likes to win. Don’t keep players who are thinking “I’m going to play hard for two quarters, because they don’t pay me enough to play four.”

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

vince is a good player but to publically call out the pats is a bad omen. I wont lose sllep if he leaves. Seems like he has a bad attitude.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

He's negotiating publically and saying that the Patriot's home town discount to on with a great organization isn't going to work with him...is he bluffing? maybe a little, but he wants to get paid, and why not. He's said he would play in his home state of Florida, signalling to Tuna that he would be their run stuffer if the price is right. Plus, with Seymour, Teddy, Vrabel, Rodney and (possibly) Green gone, it's not like this is the same team he won with previously. Things change, the Patriots defense certainly changed, and this guy wants to take care of his family and he can win somewhere else, no? The Patriots (much to our chagrin) don't win the Superbowl every year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

So he wants to get paid what he's worth. I don't have a problem with that. The players I have a problem with are the ones who land big contracts then mail it in after they've cashed the check. Unfortunately this is something a team's front office can't always foresee. I doubt Wilfork meant that he doesn't want to win and I never trust anything that comes from the National Enquirer of Sports sometimes known as ESPN

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I can't blame Wilfork for wanting everything he can possibly get. if someone on this post would take a multi-million dollar discount to stay with the Pats because of "the organization", please let me know. Vince made peanuts over his first contract, so this one is the one he has to have to set up his family for life. After this next one, he is probably done. Vince better than anyone knows this is a business. No matter how dedicated to the team Pats players have been in the past, if they are past their usefulness, they are released or traded. 

With that said, if the Pats and Wilfork cannot come to an agreement, I would feverishly slap the franchise tag on him. Trade him for picks this year if he is unhappy with being franchised. I can think of several teams in the top 5 this year that would salivate and gladly give up their first pick and more for Vince.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

What kills me about the franchise tag is that the players own union agreed to the rule so if the players don't like it they should be complaining to their union.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

If Wilfork wants money, we'll just have to pay him.  He's the only player on the team that matters.  In fact, there is no team, there is only Wilfork.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

First of all,  VW signed a sucker rookie contract and has completely fulfilled his end of the agreement.  He is considered one of the best NT in the league and if thats the case then he should be paid as one of the best. 

Secondly, I believe that these moves are going to catch up to this organization.  They can only do these type of moves for so long before it catches up to them.  When NE built won its first SB, they already had some veteran leadership in place from the Parcells years...(Mcginnest, Law, Bruschi...).  The current NE defense has a bunch of young guys and veterans that were never on any of those teams.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agent56. Show agent56's posts

Its a business. These guys have a 10 year window if they are lucky to make the money they trained their whole life to make. So I honestly cant blame him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

This guy is one OL falling wrong on his leg from having a career ending injury.  He's 99% of the time doubled team with a back chipping ect.

You can't blame him, offcourse i would be happy with 5 mil but I don't play in the NFL.  We can't pay ticket prices be fanatics of this game and them complain when players want more money.

He has been underpaid for his production and that is because he has been a man of his word and played through his ROOKIE contract!  How many players sit out 1 or 2 years into that contract, many many more than those who play it out. 

He could have sat out or made a big deal about in 2009 but he played hard and was there for the team.  I think he deserves ever penny he can get whether is from the Pats or from another team but I think he has earned that.

We need him more than he needs us, with more teams going to a 34 the market for him in FA will be a heated one.  If he is a FA (not) but just say he is we will face him twice a year when he goes to play for Miami at worse case he'll end up in Denver or KC.  Pay the man or someone else will. 

He will be franchised and traded.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Cant blame Vince for finally asking for top money. Hes a dynamic player who should be paid. I would want the patriots to pay him. But its not going to happen. Playing for money isnt what the patriots are all about. They dont want that frame of work inside their locker room.

When BB came into New England back in 2000s he brought in guys that had a desire of "WINNING". some were washed up as bums in other cities and even our own. Talent can get you so far in life but the desire to win gets you that inch.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

I didn't realize he had been that underpaid. 5 million for 6 years? I can see where he might feel like he's been taken advantage of and would be rightfully upset if they franchise him. But people also seem to forget that he wasn't very good his first two or three years in the league.

The one thing I liked about the Bobby Grier Pats, was when they had a good young player, they locked them up 2-3 years early. Ted Johnson. Ty Law, when he got that 50 something million dollar contract. Now, they just let the player play out the contract. And they are forced to either give the guy a crapload of money or let him walk/trade him. We probably could have had Vince much cheaper if he signed an extension 2-3 years ago when he started to show promise. 

I hope you guys are right. I hope Vince is just bluffing and he is more focused on winnning than he is letting on. But something isn't right with this team. An I'm betting I'm not the only one that can sense it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Godel and Pollen have changed the nfl to the all passing league.  

2 down run stuffing nose tackles like Wilfork aren't going to win you many games .

If Wilfork was a shut down corner or a top tier pass rusher he'd be in a much better position. (no pun intended)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

stp you have no reason to believe words coming from Vince himself?  He needs to justify more what exactly?  So the last 6 years is not enough justification for him to go after a big contract?

reason you compare to AH is because of the position and yes it is measurable.

Comments like the ones you make are 1 not close to fact and it is not close to been accurate.  Value is he's top of NTs in the league, more and more teams are moving to a 34 base defense so there will be high demand for his services.  What do you base your comments on?

Read this and see if this is not heading to him sitting out or getting traded after he's franchised.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/9846/wilfork-already-wearing-contract-warpaint

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

VW deserves big time money but I don't think he'll get it with NE. Maybe they should try a sign and trade; I'm sure there are lots of willing partners. They may be able to pick up a vet for Wilfork and a rookie to groom to take his place.

If this guy holds out a la Deion Branch we're in trouble.

If he does play for the franchise offer how committed will he be? Did mgmt already tell him that they wouldn't franchise him next season to keep him motivated this season?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

You forgot the rest of his quote "Winning is a big part of sports, but a lot of teams win. ... We'll see. I will do what's best for my family. But I definitely will not sell myself short of my ability. Not at all."

Basically there are other teams out there that win and will give me what I feel I'm worth.......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrotherBillStill. Show BrotherBillStill's posts

There has to be some middle ground that satisfies both parties here. Claiming the franchise tag is a "slap in the face" is utterly rediculous, though. The Pats are perfectly within their rights to tag him. He doesn't want it because he feels it is below his market value, and he wants a long term deal. But the possibility of the tag has to be considered in his current market value.  A long term deal has to be ammenable to both parties, so Wilfork wants the money he feels he deserves, and the Pats want to keep their costs as low as possible. So why not offer him long term deal, with part of the gauranteed money equal to or less than the tag price for next year, then spread the rest out over the contract. That keeps the Pats cost for next year the same, or even less, and Wilfork gets his long term deal and more money in the end. I think both sides would agree this works.  

Sections
Shortcuts