Winning isn't very important to Vince Wilfork.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: Winning isn't very important to Vince Wilfork.

Bro I think here's what it comes down to as I mention a few posts ago, he's one wrong move away from a career ending injury.  A franchise tag is guaranteed money for 1 year.  If that injury happens that year he gets that and nothing else.

In a long term contract he will be guaranteed a large amount of money regardless of what happens.  I don't think the Pats are have his value as what he's expecting in a contract.  Whether they are right or wrong is just a matter of basic business, you pay what you think the item/service is worth.

If they think they can get similar production from another player with an improved LBs group and upgrades at DE then the value in their eyes is lower than in VW's eyes

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Pay the man.

What's up with this "home down discount" BS? Why should any player discount his services so as to put money back in the pocket of his owner? What does that prove, other than the player is a sucker?

Pay Fork what he's worth on the open market and as the most valuable defensive player we have, or let him move on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Wilfork is an example of a very good football player who played better than the contract he got.  He signed a SIX year deal (not even allowed anymore, BTW) and for the most part he just shut up and played football without complaining about his contract.  He could have held out, he could have complained to the newspapers, but he chose to show up every day and play better than 95% of the guys in the NFL who play on the D line.  

It's a business for both the players and the team.  I'm sure he'd love to stay here if the Pats pay him a fair salary that he could get on the open market.  They got his most productive years relatively cheap.  They should either make him an offer or tag him and trade him.  Vince has earned the right to get the payday he earned.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Im a big Vince Wilfork fan but sorry when the "I have to take care of my family crap starts" it really is all about money then.  Guy has 6 million already and if they franchise him that would be another 6 million.  Sorry Vince you cant take care of your family with 12 million?  PLEASE!!!!!

Now if he was honest and just said, I spent 6 years under a crappy rookie contract and now I expect/deserve to be paid then I am all on board.  Just please, leave the family crap out of it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

Belicheck's EGO will have this team back in the basement soon  he needs to stop reading his press clippings... 

Your only a genius when you win  Stop letting talent get away and keep your high draft picks

Put your talent in position to make plays and you will look like a genius again

As for Wilfork.... he is not that dynamic   10m/yr for him is more than fair

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Pats should try to sign Wilfolk. But, if they can't, they should slap the franchise tag on him, and trade him: http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/Patriots_Wilfork_franchise_tag_01-28-10_EBH8R_v2.2a125f3.html

I'm extremely displeased at what I saw from this team last year...and, I suspect, so is BB. I'm expecting wholesale changes during the offseason. The malcontents and underachievers need to go. Both the OL and DL need to be upgraded, edge pass-rushers need to be found, the entire assistant coaching staff needs to be overhauled, the personnel department needs some new blood, another quality WR must be obtained, TE needs to addressed, and CB, yet again, must be upgraded.

Thats' a ton of work to do to do in one year. Too many failed drafts, and failed free agency aquisitions. But, it got done in one year in 2001. Why not again?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

I don't normally respond to this type of thing, but this was so out of left field I figured I would. Besides I'm a little sick of internet bullies right now

Hey fancy-shamanski, you may want to figure out how to compose a sentence before you call someone stupid. And if you are going to call someone out, at the very least, make your post relevant to the original post. Unless you mentioned me by name there is no way I, or any other sane person would have guessed that you were responding to any of my posts. You clearly have a serious reading comprehension problem.

But calling me stupid isn't enough for you. You go off on some psychotic tangent about how poor I am. What makes it even more weird and pathetic is you have no idea if I'm poor or not. You know nothing about me. I'm not poor or "broke". But what if I was? Would that make you feel better to rub my nose in it? Do you feel powerless?

You see, you know nothing about me. But I know quite a bit about you. I can tell just from your post. The fact that you would attack someone so fervently over something so trivial tells me that you have a very low tolerance for frustration. Which has probably manifested itself in social problems, behavorial issues and run ins with authority figures in school. I'm assuming you are still in school, right?

Here's a tip: And the sooner you realize it the better. People aren't idiots simply because they wont think or do what you want them to. And you can't force people to agree with you. The longer it takes you to realize this, the harder life in the real world is going to be for you.

In short: Grow up. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

*thats gonna leave a mark*

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Very true. He played his full contract. Honored it. Didn't gripe about it. That's a long contract and considering he developed into probably the top player at his position and didn't gripe about not having a top salary I have to give him credit. 

If he leaves somewhere else for more money how can you blame him? He accepted being underpaid pretty much for a while without complaint. 

I'm sure the Patriots will make him a decent offer but if another team wants to overpay then he's gone. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"The one thing I liked about the Bobby Grier Pats, was when they had a good young player, they locked them up 2-3 years early. Ted Johnson. Ty Law, when he got that 50 something million dollar contract. Now, they just let the player play out the contract. And they are forced to either give the guy a crapload of money or let him walk/trade him. We probably could have had Vince much cheaper if he signed an extension 2-3 years ago when he started to show promise."

~A Very Great point dafoe...Not only are you dead-on with the fact that a player would come cheaper (obviously, since said player when STILL under a contract, usually jumps at the opportunity to sign a richer one...even if it might be underselling himself a little in 2-3 years if he stayed in the initial contract)-BUT, dafoe didn't mention several other positive fallouts to his good thought, -By restructuring/resigning to a new extended contract AFTER the player shows at least 2 Excellent seasons of play, The Team understands that The Player wasn't simply a 1-year wonder, thus securing a skilled player at a position for the long term, The Team gets a Good Player at a Far Better Cost (allowing cap money to BETTER the team elsewhere), and oh yea-a bonus, The Player is HAPPY...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

posted at 1/28/2010 10:23 PM EST

First: 6/4/2008
    Last: 1/28/2010
    "The one thing I liked about the Bobby Grier Pats, was when they had a good young player, they locked them up 2-3 years early. Ted Johnson. Ty Law, when he got that 50 something million dollar contract. Now, they just let the player play out the contract. And they are forced to either give the guy a crapload of money or let him walk/trade him. We probably could have had Vince much cheaper if he signed an extension 2-3 years ago when he started to show promise."

~A Very Great point dafoe...Not only are you dead-on with the fact that a player would come cheaper (obviously, since said player when STILL under a contract, usually jumps at the opportunity to sign a richer one...even if it might be underselling himself a little in 2-3 years if he stayed in the initial contract)-BUT, dafoe didn't mention several other positive fallouts to his good thought, -By restructuring/resigning to a new extended contract AFTER the player shows at least 2 Excellent seasons of play, The Team understands that The Player wasn't simply a 1-year wonder, thus securing a skilled player at a position for the long term, The Team gets a Good Player at a Far Better Cost (allowing cap money to BETTER the team elsewhere), and oh yea-a bonus, The Player is HAPPY...
    I agree.  We need to lock up Wilhite now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"I agree.  We need to lock up Wilhite now." Mighty

LOL...To THIS day I don't even know what Belichcik was thinking.  On Draft Day, I'm goin' Wheatley and Wilhite...@ about 5'9ft?  Aren't Receivers getting for the greater part, taller?  Wheatley, Pats used a Second-Rounder and Wilhite was picked with a 4th/5th/6th or thereabouts...  WHY was Wheatley something like a projected Late 5th rder, and WHY does Wilhite have NO projected round at all?...Indeed My Belichick must be cooking up something brillian here!  BOY, ALL these thousands of other people that scouted these 2 fellas, are just d#mb!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

The thing is: his choice isn't "Stay in NE and Win" or "Leave NE and Lose".  Wherever he goes, he has a chance to win.  Starting next year, NE is at best even odds to make the playoffs.  After their post-season, the Jets should be the overwhelming favorite to win the division.  On the rumor that he could end up in Miami: it seems to me that NE and Miami are about equally talented at this point.  On Jacksonville: I think Wolfork would be taking a slight step down to play for the Jaguars, but pairing with John Henderson would have to appeal to him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hooterdawg. Show hooterdawg's posts

Part of Vince's thinking might be that the Pats are in a 'rebuilding' phase and he might want to have immediate impact on a new team willing to pay him what the market thinks he is worth. The man is looking for da Love, while the Pat fans take him for granted. THe new NFL economy has left the ol' pennypinching ways of the Pats behind.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Vince just wants his due. He signed a long contract for not a lot of money 6 years ago. He's worked hard and played well in his time here.

I think winning is important for him. He would prefer to stay with N.E.

His best chance for a big contract is now. N.E. should have locked him up a couple years ago.

Apparently, N.E. does not see him in their future.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

The problem is, Branch and Samuel weren't premium players. But they wanted to be paid like they were. That's why they are gone. Not because the Patriots are cheap. If you are going to compete for a Superbowl, you can only afford to overpay a couple of guys. 5-6 will cripple you.

They were willing to reach on Branch because he was such a great fit. But Branch wasn't willing to compromise, so he's in Seattle doing nothing. Samuel was not a cover corner. And I would be willing to bet the orginization wasn't crazy about him at any price. Let alone the ridicukous contract Philly gave him. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trub63. Show trub63's posts

i dont blame vince one bit...no one in their right mind would choose to live in massachusetts over florida...that is why i think tom brady is history after next season...he is building a big home in southern cal where the weather is beautiful as well as the scenery....why would he want to live in a dump of a state like massachusetts...i dont see pro athletes saying they will live in massachusetts when they retire...they cant wait to go to a warmer climate....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjrpatfan. Show mjrpatfan's posts

Bottom line.. pay the man..

how many of the great Patriot players are we going to lose ....for the unknown.

I hate what he said about having to think of his family.. I'm sure every one of us would like to make in our lifetime what he has made in the last 6 years.. sheet, my family would eat real well on that.. but he is an asset to this team.. and we need to get over the "patriot way" of handling business. We are in the same division as the number one defensive team in the entire league, and what the hell are we doing defensively?????????

C'mon pay him and lets get this team back on track~~!

Sections
Shortcuts