With new evidence will the league still turn the other cheek on Thigh Gate

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

With new evidence will the league still turn the other cheek on Thigh Gate

The New York Jets have suspended Sal Alosi indefinitely after the team got "new information" that the strength and conditioning coach "instructed" five players to stand in a wall before he tripped a Dolphins player on Sunday.

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum announced the punishment after Alosi was suspended for the rest of the season and fined $25,000 on Monday.

"Over the last day as we continued our investigation we discovered some new information," Tannenbaum said. "The players at the Miami game were instructed by Sal to stand where they were forcing the gunner in the game to run around them. Based on that new information we've suspended Sal indefinitely, pending further review.

Tannenbaum said that as soon as the team learned the new information, the Jets contacted NFL vice president of football operations Ray Anderson.

"They support this initial decision that we presented to them," Tannenbaum said. "The league is going to look into this as well, as well they should. Once we get all the information we'll make a final determination."

Tannenbaum was clear in what happened.

"Specifically when Miami was punting they were asked to stand there by him," he said.

Tannenbaum said Alosi acted alone, that he wasn't told by anyone in the organization to instruct players to stand in a line. Addressing the media Monday, Alosi claimed he wasn't instructed by anyone to create a human wall.

Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan both insisted Monday that the players aren't coached to do that.

Could Alosi be fired for the move?

"All options are certainly on the table we're going to complete the review and get all the information," Tannenbaum said. "[Special teams coach] Mike Westhoff was not involved, Rex Ryan was not involved, but we just want to be thorough and get all the information."

Former Miami Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas had accused the Jets Tuesday of deliberately forming a wall on their sideline to influence the Dolphins' gunner, Nolan Carroll.

Thomas was part of a growing faction that believes Alosi wasn't acting alone.

"They had to be ordered to stand there because they're foot to foot," Thomas said Tuesday on Miami radio station WQAM. "There's four of them, side to side -- five of them, I mean -- on the edge of the coaches' zone. They're only out there to restrict the space of the gunner.

"But there's more to it because I'm telling you, the only thing [Alosi] did wrong was intentionally put that knee out there. If he just stood there, there would never have been a problem, even if the guy got tripped. But there's more to this. He was ordered to stand there. No one is foot to foot on the sideline in the coaches' box."

There was a six-man line, starting with Alosi and defensive lineman Marcus Dixon (inactive). It's believed the other four also were inactive players. They were in a tight formation, almost like soccer players preparing to defend a direct kick. Their toes were right up against the boundary, with Alosi positioned in the corner of the coaches' box.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5922926

to me i highly doubt that Alosi acted on his own without rex rayn knowing this was going on

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Re: With new evidence will the league still turn the other cheek on Thigh Gate

Trying to distract a gunner running up the sidelines merely shows how desperate they are to grasp at any tiny advantage. Bush league and comic at the same time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ASO9771. Show ASO9771's posts

Rex was right there at the end of that line (not in the Line, but) to the far left (from Camera perspective) so he "Didn't Know " this was happening????? He was right there! It looked like he was watching the whole thing happen. Real Classy Jets

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

its a joke that the league is doing nothing about this, rex should be fined atleast. your telling me the head coach of the team has no idea whats going on right next to him on the sidelines?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[/QUOTE] to me i highly doubt that Alosi acted on his own without rex rayn knowing this was going on
    Posted by Soxpatsfan08[/QUOTE]

I find it hard to believe that the strength & cond.  coach is the one that gave the order for the sideline formation. Alosi makes a convenient scapegoat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

It's very clear that Tannenrube is using him as the fall guy.

There is no question.  Conditioning coaches do not take it upon themselves to dictate what happens in the locker room or on the sidelines.

It's HIGHLARIOUS these Jets rubes expect us to believe that.

Goodell is a joke.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

and goodell will be like oh this is our beloved jets no way they could lying about this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

It would be nice to see Godell hand out some punishment. No one believed that the bronco's front office didn't know about the filming. But a video that clearly shows the entire coaching staff of the jets partaking in such a thing is not sufficient evidence????  If Rex's tenure as the HC of the NYJ's wasn't all ready slipping away from him I would be even more pissed. But we will all get to witness his dismantle in a few weeks. 

If only I could ask for an Xmas miracle and have a full on sideline brawl take place with Rex right in the middle on national television.. yes of course in High Def...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

westoff is now saying we do it too. watch the nfl investigate the patriots now. just to prove goodell's bias.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/15/westhoff-accuses-patriots-of-building-sideline-wall-too/

The NFL opted not to investigate whether the Jets orchestrated the placement of strength coach Sal Alosi and others along the white stripe when the Dolphins were punting on Sunday because, in our view, the NFL didn’t want to start down that particular rabbit hole.  Indeed, now that we know the Jets were lining up personnel on the sideline in a shoulder-to-shoulder, foot-to-foot formation, it’s safe to assume that others have engaged in similar tactics.

Jets special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff, in a Wednesday visit with the Waddle & Silvy Show on ESPN 1000 in Chicago, said that the Patriots engage in similar tactics.

“A number of teams do it,” Westhoff said.  “There is a pretty good team up north that lines their whole defense up when they do it, so it’s something that just kind of happened.”

Asked if he’s saying the Patriots line up players to impede punt coverage teams, Westhoff elaborated.  “Well, if you watch them, their defense when the opponents’ punt team is out there,” Westhoof said.  “They’re up there pretty close to the line so it looks like they are trying to do it.  Now are they doing anything illegal?  Are they tripping anybody, heck no.  I’m not saying that.  That’s not the point.  But, yeah, they’re lined up there.  Is it making a difference?  I don’t know.  I really don’t know, because to tell you the truth before this happened I never really looked at anybody’s sideline in all my years.”

Westhoff also reiterated his position that, as it relates to the Jets, “I had nothing to do with it” and “I didn’t even know we were doing it.”  He admitted that “anything that happens on special teams is a reflection on me, that’s how I look at it, and I don’t teach it, I don’t coach it, I didn’t know we were doing it, but the fact that it happens I’ve got to get involved.”

Our guess?  The Jets were willing to look the other way, but Westhoff was frustrated by the fact that people (like us) were assuming that he had knowledge of and/or involvement in the tactic.  And so we think Westhoff insisted on the team getting to the bottom of it, so that his name could be cleared.

That said, Westhoff has now implicated the Patriots.  And we assume the Patriots will be responding.

Finally, we’re having trouble reconciling Westhoff’s mixed signals regarding the situation.  When discussing his belief that the Patriots do it, he acts like it’s no big deal.  But he’s apparently offended by the suggestion that he instructed guys to stand on the edge of the white stripe but not try to trip opposing players.

----
    now that the patriots have been brought into this congress will get involved

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Personally, I think Kraft needs to fight back in these situations instead of allowing the Jets' slander to continue.

This is a clear deflection tactic, to the point he's caught in a lie, to boot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

to me there is also a big difference between players who were either just in the game or about to go in the game being on the sideline and coaches and inactive players standing foot to foot in a wall formation

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

we just  want was fair and not a double standard and the NFL needs too make things clear in the rules  not in black and white too be interpeted  in different ways and this  is so clear a blind person could see it!!!so force the nfl  s hand and make them step in and punish them too

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

have the jets been punished for their illegal offseason practices yet? why does everything get swept under the rug when the jets are involved?didnt braylon edwards get a dui during the season as well? goodell is a joke.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

Florio calls out the league

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/16/westhoffs-accusations-against-pats-potentially-violated-league-rules/

Four days after the trip heard ’round the NFL world, the story continues to grow, well, legs.

On Wednesday, the Jets announced that strength coach Sal Alosi’s suspension through the end of the 2010 season would be converted to an indefinite suspension, given the conclusion that Alosi had been aligning players on the edge of the field to impede gunners from opposing punt teams.  Then, Jets special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff accused the Patriots of doing the same thing, via confusing comments in which Westoff simultaneously seemed to suggest that the Patriots were doing nothing wrong while insisting that his own name not be attached to such dastardly deeds.

In subsequent remarks, Westhoff further clouded the issue.  “I’m not accusing the Patriots of doing something wrong,” Westhoff said at a press conference. “Maybe they’re doing something smart.”  Fine, so why has Westhoff vehemently distanced himself from the apparently legal practice of lining up personnel on the white stripe that lines the field?

Setting aside (for now) the question of whether Alosi truly was acting alone or whether he’s merely taking the fall for Westhoff and/or others, a league source pointed out to us on Wednesday night that Westhoff’s decision to publicly point a finger at the Patriots potentially violates separate rules regarding the procedure for making complaints about other teams.  Put simply, if one NFL team has a beef with another NFL team, the grievance must be aired privately and through proper league channels.

The issue last came up in 2008, when Raiders owner Al Davis strongly implied that the Patriots had tampered with receiver Randy Moss before swinging a trade for the player who went from underachiever in Oakland to superstar in Boston.  The league fired off a letter to Davis reminding him of the prohibition against making such public claims, and essentially instructing him to either file tampering charges with the league office or drop it.

It remains to be seen whether the league office reminds the Jets of this provision, or whether any punishment will be imposed.  Multiple league sources have suggested that nothing will happen; accurate or otherwise, there’s a perception in league circles that the Jets receive special treatment from the league office.

That perception has been bolstered by the fact that Alosi’s actions were deemed to be sufficiently egregious to justify an indefinite suspension by the Jets, but that the league has imposed no penalty on the Jets.  Compare that with last month’s Spygate II episode, in which the Broncos were fined $50,000 simply by virtue of the fact that they employed a video operator who (supposedly) videotaped a 49ers’ walk-through practice as a rogue act.

The league can’t have it both ways, no matter how badly the league wants to see this situation go away quickly and as quietly as possible.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Who in the what now?

Is Tennnbaum actually sayinsg that Westhoff and Ryan didn't know about it? That the strength coach spontaneously lines up players twenty feet from them in a formation and they don't know. Westhoff's special teams crew, on Ryan's sideline.

Man the NFL is desperate to NOT suspend Ryan and they are making a goat out of the guy who tripped someone. 

If they had a shred of respect they would fine/suspend Ryan and/or Westhoff. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

This story is so overblown like everything else in football that I'm just glad it wasn't the Patriots.If it were they would be prosecuting.
    I agree that they should fine the team because they are ultimately responsible and this is no different than a cheapshot on a defenseless receiver but what a bore this is becoming. If the Patriots did this to a player I would have got a good chuckle out of it.
    BTW- get ready for the Patriot haters because I just saw a clip on Comcast sports net that Mike Felger played. It shows Belichick intentionally blocking a Colt player from coming back on the field during a playoff game against the Colts after an interception. I got a quick chuckle out of that too.

It's gamesmanship. Big Deal

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Rerun~

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone here, when I say that I could better hmm, "visualize" your points and overall arguments, far, far better IF, well-I'll just show ya...

I personally, would like your posts to go morelike THIS each and every time around (With rerun's previous post in grey italics, Laz's additions in normal black):

"This story is so overblown like everything else in football that I'm just glad it wasn't the Patriots (dah-dun, dada-dun; dah-dun, dada-dun!). If it were they would be prosecuting (Get up, get-on up; Get up, get-on up!).
    I agree that they should fine the team because they are ultimately responsible and this is no different than a cheapshot on a defenseless receiver but what a bore this is becoming (Right han', Right-hand point; Left han', Left-hand point!). If the Patriots did this to a player I would have got a good chuckle out of it (Shouldar' pop, Shoulder-pop Jump; Shouldar' pop, Shoulder-pop Jump!). 
    BTW- get ready for the Patriot haters because I just saw a clip on Comcast sports net that Mike Felger played (Leg-kick, kick-it-on Up! Leg-kick, kick-it-on-up!). It shows Belichick intentionally blocking a Colt player from coming back on the field during a playoff game against the Colts after an interception (Dum-dah, dadum-Duh! Get-up, Get-it on Up...Whoa!). I got a quick chuckle out of that too (Righ' han', Lef' han', shouldar'-pop Jump! Righ' han', Lef' han', shouldar'-pop Jump...Whow!).

It's gamesmanship. Big Deal (Gameship, Is' da game-on-ship; Knee-flex, Is' da game-man-ship, Yowww!)."

~
    So there ya go... If you'd be so kind to simply do something like this, on each & every of your future posts from here on out, that'd be great. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

Laz- I'm too old to do "Rocket Rerun".. Not bad though. My nickname has been Rerun since I was about 12 years old though if that helps you out with Visuals any.
    Unfortunately the best line from the show is Dwayne doin' "Hey Hi Hi" and I've already been castigated for using that one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: With new evidence will the league still turn the other cheek on Thigh Gate:
    [QUOTE]Wow you guys want this to be spygate for the Jets pretty bad huh? Talk about making something out of nothing. With that said, they just brought the Pats into cause they know we are everyone's favorite team to hate on so it will take the spotlight off the Jets. But its BS all the way. I have never seen the Pats do anything like that on the sideline.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

You know the entire NYC media is going through thousands of hours of tapes looking for something to use to shift the story to the Pats. If they don't come up with something to show by the Sunday pregame shows the Jets are going to look even dumber. Until then they'll probably keep quiet about it.

I look at not as a spygate type of thing but just as sign of how desperate the Jets organization has become and another sign that the commissioner's office has no integrity at all. The story will disappear when the Jets disappear from the playoff picture.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

At least snapping photos has a cerebral element to it.  Tripping from the sideline not so much.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: With new evidence will the league still turn the other cheek on Thigh Gate:
    [QUOTE]This story is so overblown like everything else in football that I'm just glad it wasn't the Patriots.If it were they would be prosecuting. I agree that they should fine the team because they are ultimately responsible and this is no different than a cheapshot on a defenseless receiver but what a bore this is becoming. If the Patriots did this to a player I would have got a good chuckle out of it. BTW- get ready for the Patriot haters because I just saw a clip on Comcast sports net that Mike Felger played. It shows Belichick intentionally blocking a Colt player from coming back on the field during a playoff game against the Colts after an interception. I got a quick chuckle out of that too. It's gamesmanship. Big Deal
    Posted by Rerun85[/QUOTE]

You can't have it both ways, though, especially when Goody wants his league squeaky clean.

Here, we see a coach, ironically a S and T coach, who tries to injure a player.

Next, we see the Jets have Alosi take responsibility for it and suspend him for the season without pay to make this go away.

The reality is, Rex Ryan set this up.   This is not a situation where underlings just randomly orchestrate a wall like that to try to gain an advantage during a game.

This is what Goodell apparently wanted with Spygate and that witch hunt, as he poorly handled that, yet here, he does absolutely nothing with regards to the Jets lack of class, sportsmanship and integrity of competition.

BB had a kid in the wrong spot on the road, technically, for 7 seasons, where Tagliabue and Goodell did absolutely nothing in terms of enforcing the rule.

This means, many other, if not all NFL teams did the same thing and the NFL just didn't care/addressed the complaints "in house" and dealt with the minor rules infraction when the incident arose.

So, in essence, these two situations, especially now since Westhoff is a Jets employee, trying to smear NE again, with it bringing back Spygate yet again, amongst other Jets attacks on NE, stem directly from NY's direction and the lack of enforcement by the league office.

The Jets were guilty of Goodell's rule enforcement with filming in 2006 in Foxborough as we know, and he did nothing there also.

Spygate was overblow, but Goodell MADE IT THAT WAY, by caving in to the Jets' attempts at trying to weaken NE.

With Thighgate, we see it again, where they try to spin this as Alosi acting alone and NE also "doing the same thing".

I think it's about time ol' Rogie shows some consistency with how he interprets "fair competition" and how he fines people/organizations for it.

Don't you?

As for BB "intentionally" blocking a Colts player.  How is it "intentional" if BB is standing on his own sideline?

Isn't that a lot different than ordering an employee to inhibit clean play and for it to come to the point where the employee either was told to try to initiate contact or did it on his own, almost seriously injuring a player?

Keep in mind, Goody is in the middle of a negotiation with the players' union as we speak.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nemeses. Show Nemeses's posts

I believe a one million dollar fine and loss of a 1st round pick is in order. Pats were accused of filming from an unapproved location and that cost them dearly. 
    Here you have the Jets coaches and inactive players standing in an unapproved location physically trying to change the outcome of a game. In the process they could have ended this mans career.
    This screams out for a major smack down. If management didnt know what was going on then they have definately lost control of this team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hagen910. Show hagen910's posts

What a joke this is turning into.  Can the league be any more biased against the patriots.  Don't forget its not good for the league when one team dominates.  Go NFL you can't stop greatness. 

no way rex didn't know about this.  all he had to say was yes I told them to stand there, but I didn't tell them to interfere with the play.  instead its who was the second man on the grassy knoll.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

nfl: "there was an incident of tripping on the sideline"
    goodell: "were the Patriots involved? Because I will drop the hammer!"
    nfl: "no, it was the jets"
    goodell: "oh *cough* nevermind"

*sweeps under rug*