With only 3 picks, Not signing cb grimes (at 5.5 mil) and de abraham looks a mistake.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

Re: With only 3 picks, Not signing cb grimes (at 5.5 mil) and de abraham looks a mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKr3ViCiXps

the Pats missed out by not signing Grimes IMO. Phins lucked out

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: With only 3 picks, Not signing cb grimes (at 5.5 mil) and de abraham looks a mistake.

Re Abraham, at some point you have to think it just isnt worth playing to these guys physically, mentally and financially. 

Look at Waters, he finally couldnt do it anymore. You think Abes is playing here for $1-$1.5? You dont k ow what a hard head he is and has been his entire career. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Re Abraham, at some point you have to think it just isnt worth playing to these guys physically, mentally and financially. 

Look at Waters, he finally couldnt do it anymore. You think Abes is playing here for $1-$1.5? You dont k ow what a hard head he is and has been his entire career. 

Abraham hasn't signed with any team for one of two reasons.  His asking price is too high or he doesn't want to sign with a team until closer to the season because he doesn't want to participate in a full offseason.  IMO it is probably a combination of both and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in a Pats uniform at some point.  Only time will tell.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

Grimes > Talib. i would rather have the former than the latter anyway of the week. Despite what many here think, Talib is not that good... that's why the pats were the only team who wanted him. it is also why they got him on the cheap from TB.

While the achilles injury is scary Grimes is on pace to be ready before training camp starts and i hear excellent things about his rehab. 5.5 for the best CB on the market was a steal for Miami. They continue to get better while we continue to get worse IMO..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TheFoe13's comment:

Grimes > Talib. i would rather have the former than the latter anyway of the week. Despite what many here think, Talib is not that good... that's why the pats were the only team who wanted him. it is also why they got him on the cheap from TB.

While the achilles injury is scary Grimes is on pace to be ready before training camp starts and i hear excellent things about his rehab. 5.5 for the best CB on the market was a steal for Miami. They continue to get better while we continue to get worse IMO..

Wow - that's quite an assessment.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

How do you know that this is all he's going to do as far as adding personnel ? There is still more FA and yes, the draft where they have 5 picks. BB has shaken things up on draft day more often than not, I'd think he's got something planned. the other thing is why would you spend all of your money now? They have to sign draft picks and what if someone gets injured?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

How do you know that this is all he's going to do as far as adding personnel ? There is still more FA and yes, the draft where they have 5 picks. BB has shaken things up on draft day more often than not, I'd think he's got something planned. the other thing is why would you spend all of your money now? They have to sign draft picks and what if someone gets injured?

They wouldn't but they are somewhere between $12-15mil under the cap right now. With their current picks they are alloted ~$3.5mil for draft picks and assuming they save $5mil for just in case signings through camp/secondary market and injury (btw injury through the season you really don't need a ton of space for since the guys you get off the street are min value guys anyways) you still have between $3.5-6.5mil to spend. That's a ton of cap to space so you can add a couple contracts right now and still have money to play with for the secondary cut market which is usually a lot less talented and rarely do you find starting players in. There is no reason to hold onto $12-15mil in cap right now unless you have a major trade in the works, which could be the case but given BB's history isn't likely. Sanders type of deal might be the biggest trade/signing thing we might be looking at in that ways and even he won't command a large chunk of the remaining cap. The Pats by far and away have plenty of room to make moves right now. I just hope they don't spend another $4.5mil on an Ellis type of player in the secondary market just to say they spent to the cap. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

There is no reason to hold onto $12-15mil in cap right now unless you have a major trade in the works, which could be the case but given BB's history isn't likely.

That or they are planning on extending a few guys ala Gronk and Hernandez last offseason.  I think we can make a better assessment of how the team has allotted its salary cap space when TC starts.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

They wouldn't but they are somewhere between $12-15mil under the cap right now. With their current picks they are alloted ~$3.5mil for draft picks and assuming they save $5mil for just in case signings through camp/secondary market and injury (btw injury through the season you really don't need a ton of space for since the guys you get off the street are min value guys anyways) you still have between $3.5-6.5mil to spend. That's a ton of cap to space so you can add a couple contracts right now and still have money to play with for the secondary cut market which is usually a lot less talented and rarely do you find starting players in. There is no reason to hold onto $12-15mil in cap right now unless you have a major trade in the works, which could be the case but given BB's history isn't likely. Sanders type of deal might be the biggest trade/signing thing we might be looking at in that ways and even he won't command a large chunk of the remaining cap. The Pats by far and away have plenty of room to make moves right now. I just hope they don't spend another $4.5mil on an Ellis type of player in the secondary market just to say they spent to the cap. 

Yeah I hear you but I don't think he's going to hold on to all of that. Like the poster above said, he could use it to extend someone, I think the cap is going to stay the same for a couple of more seasons, that's going to hurt any of these teams that spend it all now, like Dallas and several other teams are experiencing now. I would have liked to see them sign Abraham but BB must have something better for the team in mind. that's just my opinion though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I was thinking about how spoiled I am as a fan the other today, so I went to the store and bought a gallon of koolaid (it was on sale). I drank half of it last night and I'm starting to feel it's affects...for instance I thought of last off season when we signed Fenene, Stallworth, Gaffney, Gregory, Gallery, Gonzalez, Addai and Lloyd - but instead of getting mad I just smiled. MMmmmm...this koolaid stuff is good, should of tried it a lot sooner.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

What's the obsession with the Brent Grimes? For the last time, the Pats never wanted or had a need for him. The Pats like physical CBs that man up and play bump and run, Grimes isn't a press CB. 

Grimes is more like Asante, BB's system is better suited for TY Law type CBs like Dennard, Dowling and Talib. 

Grimes, Asante and Devin = 5'10, sub 200 pounds. 

Dennard, Dowling, Talib, Ty Law = +200 pounds

"What's the obsession with the Brent Grimes? For the last time, the Pats never wanted or had a need for him. The Pats like physical CBs that man up and play bump and run, Grimes isn't a press CB."

if indeed this is (newly) true, that is good, where is the fa we landed on top of what we have to fill out our cbs?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I was thinking about how spoiled I am as a fan the other today, so I went to the store and bought a gallon of koolaid (it was on sale). I drank half of it last night and I'm starting to feel it's affects...for instance I thought of last off season when we signed Fenene, Stallworth, Gaffney, Gregory, Gallery, Gonzalez, Addai and Lloyd - but instead of getting mad I just smiled. MMmmmm...this koolaid stuff is good, should of tried it a lot sooner.

:)

and i hoped it helped you forgot the failed sb attempts during last 9 years

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

exactly

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

I said BB would "Shock the World" and move up in last years draft, so hopefully this years mild "shocker" will make us all breathe a lil easier come draft day.  We WILL acquire a few picks in this years draft (Maybe a 3rd and 5th) but not by trading away Mallett. BB will once again deviate from the norm and trade picks from 2014 in order to take advantage a deep 2013 draft at postions we need. Seeing that the Pats will most likely get some nice comp. picks for losing Welker, Chung et all, 2014's draft is like an ATM spitting out the money we need for today. Add to the fact that unless a player BB really covets sits at 29, we will almost certainly move down into the 2nd and get a few more mid round selections. 

P.S.  The Abraham thing isn't over yet as his market will shrink even more after the draft....me still thinks he will be wearing The Flying Elvis on opening day.....

good stuff, re using 2014 picks to move up to get targeted players, i have ben advocating same for several months.

re moving back from 29 i'm against as to nab the best de and wr avail, i think you have to use 2 picks between end of round 1 to top of rd 2.

i do hope bb is all in like last year.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to TheFoe13's comment:

You're wrong. The Skins were one team confirmed who wanted Talib and the report was that there were 2 others also interested.

Meanwhile, Grimes had Atlanta interested, Cleveland and Miami. He shopped himself bewteen the two AFC teams with cash (Miami and Cleveland) and went to the highest bidder.

Grimes is a fine player, but overachieved one year in 2011 on the perimeter. He's really a nickel.

Talib is a perimeter player which is what we HAD to have here.

You must be a Dolphins troll because even a moron could see what Talib's presence did to the Pats D overall. It opened up a whole new dimenison in terms of scheming.  Arrington got kicked inside and played the 2nd best nickel in the NFL for about 6 weeks.

Miami has overpaid across the board for every single player they've signed.  5 million for a nickelback or dwarf perimeter CB off an Achilles is overpaying, but they had to do something after no one could even name who their starters were going to be in 2013.

lol

Either way, you're a troll because you have posts start today and aren't accruate assessments.  Sort of odd you're claiming Miami who overpays with splashes like this every 4 years is somehow a better approach than what BB does.

Miami had 45M in cap space this year.  The Pat's would have had that much too if they hadn't wasted 23M in DEAD money last year, from signing the Ocho's and Fat Alberts of the world.  They also would have had more draft picks this year for the same reason.

What a waste of TB's hard earned cap space he handed BB on a platter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Miami had 45M in cap space this year.  The Pat's would have had that much too if they hadn't wasted 23M in DEAD money last year, from signing the Ocho's and Fat Alberts of the world.  They also would have had more draft picks this year for the same reason.

What a waste of TB's hard earned cap space he handed BB on a platter.

Yeah you really need to read more about the salary cap before you come to stupid conclusions like this.  The Patriots have very little dead money on the books this year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Apart from the technique and size issues already mentioned it is easy to call it a mistake when you don't have a cap and other needs to fill.  I think we could use more depth at cb but Grimes at 5.5 mil is not the answer IMO.

thanks for weighing in atj