With only 3 picks, Not signing cb grimes (at 5.5 mil) and de abraham looks a mistake.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: With only 3 picks, Not signing cb grimes (at 5.5 mil) and de abraham looks a mistake.

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Miami had 45M in cap space this year.  The Pat's would have had that much too if they hadn't wasted 23M in DEAD money last year, from signing the Ocho's and Fat Alberts of the world.  They also would have had more draft picks this year for the same reason.

What a waste of TB's hard earned cap space he handed BB on a platter.

Yeah you really need to read more about the salary cap before you come to stupid conclusions like this.  The Patriots have very little dead money on the books this year.

Well, you really need to read as I clearly said last year, which would have translated into better players with contracts that didn't last a half of a season and eliminated the need to replace 18 FA's this year and replace the same trash year after year.

Any questions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: With only 3 picks, Not signing cb grimes (at 5.5 mil) and de abraham looks a mistake.

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

We should spend every last dime so we have no money left to sign the rookies...

..really guys, if you can't do the math in your head use your fingers.  Abraham is still unsigned right?  We don't need another high priced corner, we need people that can back up Talib, Dennard and Arrington.  Remember without Sterling Moore, you don't even go to the Super Bowl in 2011.

Wozzy they still have tons of cap space. Last count they have somewhere between $12-15mil left. With their currently alloted picks they only need ~$3.5mil to sign them. Even if they carry their average $5mil into camp like they usually do they still have $4-7mil left to play with. That is a ton of cash to sign additionally players. Having another starting caliber corner (which btw the prices for corners this year was drastically lower then previous years) would be an asset they could afford and still have enough to sign Abraham and still have enough to have their usual $5mil slush fund and sign the rooks. In the current league you need 3 starting caliber CB's at bare mnimum. We have 2.75 (Dennard only has 1 year under his belt and Arrington is a star only CB). Having that additional CB would be a huge benefit. Now they could grab one via draft, which I'm all in favor for, but with only 3 picks in the top 3 and needs along the DL, WR, and a pass rusher there is no gaurantee the Pats will hit on all 3. Why not hedge your bets since you have the capital and add quality depth instead of a Moore (btw if Moore was such quality why isn't he on the team currently?)

too reasonable a request perhaps to feel this way and post such (as both you and i have this offseason)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Well, you really need to read as I clearly said last year, which would have translated into better players with contracts that didn't last a half of a season and eliminated the need to replace 18 FA's this year and replace the same trash year after year.

Any questions?

You realize of course that because of the new CBA virtually all the dead money from 2011 was shifted into 2012 which was why that one time number was so high.  Lots of teams had very high numbers that year precisely for this reason.  NE was far from the worst. 

In addition had that dead money not been on the books last year we would not have 45 million in cap space this year.  Learn the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm sorry but I simply don't get some of this stuff; I really don't.  You can find fault with every organization out there if you wish to try.  

Kraft wants the team run in a certain way and BB is running it that way.  A perfect GM and coach?  Hardly; but show me someone who is.   The team has been in contention every year that BB has been the head coach/GM; every year.  I still think he's tops and if that makes me a koolaid drinker, make mine grape thanks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I guess, once again, because BB has not followed the model that many on this forum advocate his plan is deficient.  I'm therefore compelled to pose the question:

What is BB's master plan, if you please?  

If by the start of the regular season he's not staffed the 53-man roster adequately (and even then it may be too soon to judge) then perhaps the word 'mistake' applies.  Until then all of this, without exception, is speculation and anticipatory second-guessing.  

This is completely true. I'm only making assumptions based on previous years where the same pattern has followed such as last year, bringing in aging vets and injury risk players and lower cost options to compete in camp where in the end a vast majority washed out or were ineffective. Or the previous year where we saw similar things happening bringing in guys with known injury problems that performed well initially until the injury issues caught up (Carter) or guys that were lower cost high reward vets for short term band-aids that didn't work out, though Waters was a great find.

Lets face it when it comes to FA BB isn't the strongest GM out there. Sure he finds some nice contributors for low cost every so often but he goes through 20 players and millions upon millions in dead money to get those handful of players most of the time. His system works well to stay competitive and not completely wreck the team with bad signings, instead relying on the draft but it also means you never tend to find the top end talent to push you over the top either. And if you don't have great drafts (07-09) you team tends to get stuck badly. Boldin (in 10') is a prime example of a mid level move that could have helped the team. The Pats had a great chance to get him before Balt did and not many would argue that Boldin didn't help Balt beat the Pats this past year. Not a huge flashy big name but for a 3rd and 4th, BB has traded away more for bigger risks in Ocho and Haynesworth. Just look at the mid round picks BB has traded away for players that never perform on the team. He hit big with Moss, Welker, and did decently with Dillion (picks traded vs time on team) but for the most part his FA trades and signings haven't been stellar. I know he's been burnt with Thomas and even Colvin didn't give as much as his contract paid but they still gave decent production and were starters. I don't think you need to sign every big name FA out there or any actually, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give up a little of the quantity to add better quality either

well said and my feeling as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I'm sorry but I simply don't get some of this stuff; I really don't.  You can find fault with every organization out there if you wish to try.  

Kraft wants the team run in a certain way and BB is running it that way.  A perfect GM and coach?  Hardly; but show me someone who is.   The team has been in contention every year that BB has been the head coach/GM; every year.  I still think he's tops and if that makes me a koolaid drinker, make mine grape thanks.

theres no need to defend teh team or the coach, we're simply discussign soem possible moves that may help us finally get bakc over the top and actually win another sb

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

theres no need to defend teh team or the coach, we're simply discussign soem possible moves that may help us finally get bakc over the top and actually win another sb

I'm not talking about the possible moves that you've been tossing around.  We all look at those differently and that's the beauty of this forum.   What I'm referring to is that mega-dump on how BB has run the team.  This team manages the cap about as good as any team in the league, year in and year out.  That's not defending the team or the coach; that's the way I see it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Any questions?

You realize of course that because of the new CBA virtually all the dead money from 2011 was shifted into 2012 which was why that one time number was so high.  Lots of teams had very high numbers that year precisely for this reason.  NE was far from the worst.  Learn the game.

Well, it's funny because most teams had about 7-8 in dead money and even the sorry jest found a way to exploit that.

Sorry but the dead money and loss of good draft picks was because of poor contracts for players who are no longer with the team and have to now be replaced, AGAIN, instead of playing out their 3 year contracts. 

How many times does TB need to bail them out of that mess? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Well, it's funny because most teams had about 7-8 in dead money and even the sorry jest found a way to exploit that.

Sorry but the dead money and loss of good draft picks was because of poor contracts for players who are no longer with the team and have to now be replaced, AGAIN, instead of playing out their 3 year contracts. 

Why don't you explain how the Patriots would have had 45 million in cap space this year as you claimed in your original post?  Or how about the claim that Patriots defense was the worst in the league for the past 8 years (which you always scream about when you argue with Rusty) despite the fact that from 2006-2009 they ranked in the top 10 and sometimes top 5 in terms of points and yards allowed and from 2010-2012 they never ranked last in terms of points and yards and were twice ranked in the top 10 in terms of points.  Face it.  You know nothing about football and your incessant Belichick/Defense bashing is even more annoying than Rusty's Brady bashing.  Learn the game.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Why don't you explain how the Patriots would have had 45 million in cap space this year as you claimed in your original post?  Or how about the claim that Patriots defense was the worst in the league for the past 8 years (which you always scream about when you argue with Rusty) despite the fact that from 2006-2009 they ranked in the top 10 and sometimes top 5 in terms of points and yards allowed and from 2010-2012 they never ranked last in terms of points and yards and were twice ranked in the top 10 in terms of points.  Face it.  You know nothing about football and your incessant Belichick/Defense bashing is even more annoying than Rusty's Brady bashing.  Learn the game.

Well if that Dead money hadn't occured, they could have carried it over OR , put it to better use which would have resulted in a number of players not having to be replaced this year and more cap this year for less needs.  In other and more simply put, words, they would have 23M this year to replace less players and could actually put some of that money into acquiring more talent instead of more of the same less talent and more quantity.

Every thing they do carries over.  They had a huge amount of FA's to replace this year and there are more next year and the year after that.  Singing players to 3 year contracts and keeping them for 1 year OR less, has hurt the future.  Why not put a little more money into talent who are still participating and don't have to be replaced year after year after year?

I think the Fins only had to replace 12 guys with their 45m, not 18 with 23M and 7M of that was because of TB and he did the same thing the year before, too.

I said the D failed the team in the play-off since 2006, which they did.  They were the worst or near worst since 2010.  That's a long time for a defensive genius's team to be bottom of the barrel. 

Don't you think they could have used better players and less DEAD money since then?

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

I guess, once again, because BB has not followed the model that many on this forum advocate his plan is deficient.  I'm therefore compelled to pose the question:

What is BB's master plan, if you please?  

If by the start of the regular season he's not staffed the 53-man roster adequately (and even then it may be too soon to judge) then perhaps the word 'mistake' applies.  Until then all of this, without exception, is speculation and anticipatory second-guessing.  

This is completely true. I'm only making assumptions based on previous years where the same pattern has followed such as last year, bringing in aging vets and injury risk players and lower cost options to compete in camp where in the end a vast majority washed out or were ineffective. Or the previous year where we saw similar things happening bringing in guys with known injury problems that performed well initially until the injury issues caught up (Carter) or guys that were lower cost high reward vets for short term band-aids that didn't work out, though Waters was a great find.

Lets face it when it comes to FA BB isn't the strongest GM out there. Sure he finds some nice contributors for low cost every so often but he goes through 20 players and millions upon millions in dead money to get those handful of players most of the time. His system works well to stay competitive and not completely wreck the team with bad signings, instead relying on the draft but it also means you never tend to find the top end talent to push you over the top either. And if you don't have great drafts (07-09) you team tends to get stuck badly. Boldin (in 10') is a prime example of a mid level move that could have helped the team. The Pats had a great chance to get him before Balt did and not many would argue that Boldin didn't help Balt beat the Pats this past year. Not a huge flashy big name but for a 3rd and 4th, BB has traded away more for bigger risks in Ocho and Haynesworth. Just look at the mid round picks BB has traded away for players that never perform on the team. He hit big with Moss, Welker, and did decently with Dillion (picks traded vs time on team) but for the most part his FA trades and signings haven't been stellar. I know he's been burnt with Thomas and even Colvin didn't give as much as his contract paid but they still gave decent production and were starters. I don't think you need to sign every big name FA out there or any actually, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give up a little of the quantity to add better quality either

well said and my feeling as well.

Well I disagree completely, and to say Colvin didn't work out isn't fair as the guy had 22 sacks in 2 seasons before coming here, looked great and then Bo Jacksoned his leg....and still contributed. How about Rodeny harrison, Vrabel, Ted Washington, Traylor, Roman Phifer, Bryon Cox, Tryone Poole, Andre Carter,(10 sacks in 10 games) JR Seau, Brian Waters, Kyle Arrington, Talib, Sammy Morris, Marc Edwards, heath Evans, Donte Stalworth, Jaber Gaffney, David Patton, tons of others. Corey Dillion worked out "decent"????? HAHAHAHAH Nuff said.

Wow, how quickly we forget.

The list of FA's that have contributed to the team with the most wins in a 13 year period in NFL history goes on and on. Yet you focus on a guy like Chad johnson who was a proven success in the LG but couldn't crack our SUPER BOWL caliber roster of receiving options. I look at that as good problem to have, while a few of you choose to view it in a negative light.

Take a chance on Haynsworth to see if he can regain some of his passion, it doesn't work...no problem you cut him. Some guys work and some guys don't. I know 1 thing, it is not a concidence that more guys "stuck" when BB had his trusted group of coaches and personnel guys who had been with him for years. Guys like RAC, Weiss, Pioli, Mangina, and Mike Woiceck, not to mention a few others.

Individual work group coaches(QB coaches, DB coaches etc..) are mainly responsible for motivating players. Aside from Scar we have a relatively inexperienced group of coaches, and I believe this fact is what has prevented us from getting over the hump, more then talent, more then scheme. This is a coaches LG, and as this group gains confidence and respect, we have a better chance at getting guys to play to their potetnial on the biggest stages...something they haven't doen for too long.

When you win more games then any other team almost year in and year out, you don't need many guys to come in and beat out the proven talent you already have.

Right now I think we have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL. Fill in some depth and hopefully an upgrade on the D-line and I think we have as good a shot as any team to win the SB...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Well if that Dead money hadn't occured, they could have carried it over OR , put it to better use which would have resulted in a number of players not having to be replaced this year and more cap this year for less needs.  In other and more simply put, words, they would have 23M this year to replace less players and could actually put some of that money into acquiring more talent instead of more of the same less talent and more quantity.

Every thing they do carries over.  They had a huge amount of FA's to replace this year and there are more next year and the year after that.  Singing players to 3 year contracts and keeping them for 1 year OR less, has hurt the future.  Why not put a little more money into talent who are still participating and don't have to be replaced year after year after year?

I think the Fins only had to replace 12 guys with their 45m, not 18 with 23M and 7M of that was because of TB and he did the same thing the year before, too.

I said the D failed the team in the play-off since 2006, which they did.  They were the worst or near worst since 2010.  That's a long time for a defensive genius's team to be bottom of the barrel. 

Don't you think they could have used better players and less DEAD money since then?

The 2010 D started 4 rookies. It's not any fan's fault here that yoy didn't realize BB was rebuilding in 2010 with the lockout on the horizon. You're way out of your league with this. You're too dumb to realize that any team wildly spending in a bloated market in 2009 or 2010 are the crappy organizations.

BB has been rebuilding since 2006.

Maybe 4 rookies started in 2010 because the dopes they picked up in 2008-9 were failures.

Would 4 rookies HAVE to start in 2010 if there was some talent acquired in the previous yrs?  Nope!

No one is talking about spending wildly.  Just putting a little talent on the field instead of the same type of guys ( failed draft picks and FA's) that have to be replaced every year and creating more dead money than the total income of most 3rd world countries.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

It'll all work out, keep the faith

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

The 2010 D started 4 rookies. It's not any fan's fault here that yoy didn't realize BB was rebuilding in 2010 with the lockout on the horizon. You're way out of your league with this. You're too dumb to realize that any team wildly spending in a bloated market in 2009 or 2010 are the crappy organizations.

Maybe 4 rookies started in 2010 because the dopes they picked up in 2008-9 were failures.

Would 4 rookies HAVE to start in 2010 if there was some talent acquired in the previous yrs?  Nope!

No one is talking about spending wildly.  Just putting a little talent on the field instead of the same type of guys ( failed draft picks and FA's) that have to be replaced every year and creating more dead money than the total income of most 3rd world countries.

He's been rebuilding "since 2006"? Why "since 2006"?  In what way was he rebuiding in 2006 0r 2007?!!

Mayo was DROY in 2008. BB traded for Welker and Moss to improve the offense and to make at least 2 more, if not 3 more runs with the old guard (Seymour, Vrabel, Bruschi, Ty Warren, Seau, etc).

Once it was clear Seymour was on his last legs in 2009 or 2010, BB got rid of him and committed to a rebuild in 2010.  His draft was outstanding in 2010, that's why 4 players ended up starting, dumbo!

My god, are you pathetic or what?

Brady totally choked in SB 42 all cocky going in and he failed again in SB 46. Has nothing to do with BB.

BB's D choked in 2006, 2007, 2009,2010,2011,2012 and that has everything to do with BB

and if the Offense did, that's on BB too.

If the whole team did, I'd say there's a problem at the top.

Or did the gints, ravens, Steelers, Saints, Packers, colts, all win with inferior teams?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't think that makes you a kool-aid drinker at all. But, just as they ask of themselves I think the fans have the right to ask for the team to constantly improve. If they want to run it a certain way that's fine but you have to find the faults and improve them. When we see the same mistakes being made and the same holes not being fixed it's time to take a look at those areas an improve on them. If you don't learn from your mistakes you're only going to repeat them

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

Brady totally choked in SB 42 all cocky going in and he failed again in SB 46. Has nothing to do with BB.

C'mon be objective Brady did not choke in SB 42. The fairer statement would be the O-line was overwhelmed by the Giant front 7. Spagnoulo should have been the MVP of that SB. He came up with some really nice looks and schemes for that game.

absolutely....i agree 100%. the giants d-line were the real mvp's of that game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

He's been rebuilding "since 2006"? Why "since 2006"?  In what way was he rebuiding in 2006 0r 2007?!!

Mayo was DROY in 2008. BB traded for Welker and Moss to improve the offense and to make at least 2 more, if not 3 more runs with the old guard (Seymour, Vrabel, Bruschi, Ty Warren, Seau, etc).

Once it was clear Seymour was on his last legs in 2009 or 2010, BB got rid of him and committed to a rebuild in 2010.  His draft was outstanding in 2010, that's why 4 players ended up starting, dumbo!

My god, are you pathetic or what?

BB's D choked in 2006, 2007, 2009,2010,2011,2012 and that has everything to do with BB

and if the Offense did, that's on BB too.

If the whole team did, I'd say there's a problem at the top.

Or did the gints, ravens, Steelers, Saints, Packers, colts, all win with inferior teams?

False.  Offense sucked in all those games/years you claim the D choked.

It doesn't matter if it was the ones loaded with futuer HOFers or not.  That's where you lose in this debate. You just don't realize it.

The shotgun spread base has been used more and more and more since 2005.

Did the D choke in the loss in Denver in 2005, did Brady's pick 6 change the momentum in that game?

lol

False simpleton.  The D choked in all those games and more

2006 blew a huge lead and allowed 32 points in one half.

2007.  missed ints and allowed Eli to take the lead with 35 seconds left after TB got the lead.

2009.  Joke!  RR ran all over their azzes to put them in a huge hole to start the game.

2010, also blew the lead and sent Sanchez to canton, which has since been retracted.

2011 blew another lead, couldn't get off the field, scored zero's in every measurable.

2012 not one single rz stop.  NOT ONE!  Just 50% would have won the game.  has there ever been a play-0ff team that failed to get even one rz stop?  Or Int?  Or 3 & out?

Did I mention 2005?  Try to stay on track.  I know it's hard for someone with limited mental capacity.  But try!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Abraham and Freeney are still on the market and there is still the ability to tender Sanders... until all 3 of those possibilities are gone then I won't be worried about our lack of 4th-6th rd picks... I always prefer to use them to add 2nd/3rd rd picks the next year or trade up anyhow.

Sections
Shortcuts