With the youth movement in full effect...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

With the youth movement in full effect...

...what do you think the next offseason will hold? Randy Moss, Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk, Matt Light, Sammy Morris -- (all veteran free agents over the age of 30 with expiring contracts after 2010), and others such as Stephen Neal, Ty Warren, Tully Banta-Cain (if he can't perform well enough in 2010), James Sanders, and maybe even Tom Brady could all retire or sign a new contract with another football team. All of those guys are main contributors. Here's how I think things are going to go:

Randy Moss - Oh Moss, oh Moss. If he hadn't become so bitter over the last several months, I think the perception around here surrounding his future would be a lot more optimistic. The cash will rule him, a home town discount is nearly out of question it would seem. I like him, he is good, but he is probably not returning. I expect him to leave unless there really aren't many teams falling over to his demands.

Fred Taylor - Taylor can be a nice reserve and mentor to some of the other players coming in, but I think individually Fred Taylor is not one to endure an entire spring, summer, autumn, and winter of football grind. His body will tell him to shut it down after another season or two. I wouldn't be shocked if he decided to continue playing football through 2011 and with the Patriots, but I also wouldn't be shocked if he chose to hang up the cleats. A brilliant player nonetheless.

Kevin Faulk - The do-it-all professional. Faulk can certainly bang around for another year. But will he? I suspect a one year deal to close out what has turned into a terrific career for Kevin Faulk.

Matt Light - Matt Light is a funny guy and those types of people are always great to have around. Matt is also all about business and although he's not very old, I think his time with the Patriots is just about up. Unless he is very understanding of the uncertainty that looms over 2011, his role/value probably won't match the contract offer he's going to receive from opposing NFL franchises.

Sammy Morris - He's versatile and tough, but he is injury prone and losing his step. Morris looks like a goner after 2010.

Stephen Neal - Quite frankly, I'll be surprised if he doesn't retire. The team may want him for the second year of his deal, just because the depth looks grim at this point, but I say Neal will be driven to explore different facets of life, away from football.

Ty Warren - Has he still got it? Does he still have the passion to play, (nevermind the skill)? That remains to be seen. If he's fallen drastically off value relative to his pay, then I'd have to imagine he'll be a goner. At one point or another, I think he goes, but not during the 2011 offseason unless the hip surgery really does him in on top of other wear and tear.

Tully Canta-Cain - No way he'll be out of here before the NFL Draft. He signed a three year deal and he is a solid contributor, but for the sake of competition, Tully will stick around for probably one more year beyond 2010.

James Sanders - He'll be offered a reduction in salary on a shortened deal or be cut, and I tend to believe he'll be cut. Sanders is nothing more than an insurance piece incase one of the other safeties is out for a long period of time.

Tom Brady - He'll get his deal. The Patriots and Tom Brady will come to an agreement and the whole fuss over his return will finally settle down. Finally!

Other to-be free agents and miscellaneous cuts:

Laurence Maroney - Gone (just hasn't worked out, same sort of thing that happened with Ben Watson)
    Alge Crumpler - Back (not retiring and if there is an option to pick up, I think both sides will mutually agree to pair up for another season of football.)
    BenJarvus Green-Ellis - Back (cheap, he's hungry and dedicated and learning)
    Mike Wright - Cut (at some point)
    Jarrad Page - Back (dishing out a multi-year deal and some nice amounts of cash)
    Tracy White - Gone (could go either way with this one but I'll say if he's signed back, he doesn't necessarily make the team)
    Kyle Arrington - Back (easy little deal that Kyle would gladly take)
    Ryan Wendell - Back (resigned and then will have to fight to remain on team like many others, ultimately I say he gets cut.)
    Julian Edelman - New money (receives more cash to sort of reward his development and contributions; just money added to current deal basically.)
    Logan Mankins - Back (yes, I'll go on a limb and say he realizes his situation, gets some good talking to, sincerely apologizes for trouble and frustrations with the Kraft's, fires agent, and seeks a new deal with the Patriots. Pats have renewed interest if Stephen Neal is to retire and the depth looks low on the team at the guard positions.)
    Garard Warren - Back (hey maybe Warren has a good 2010, surprises some people and returns to a rotation along the defensive line?)

I'd like to see the Patriots pursue Jospeh Addai or DeAngelo Williams in free agency. Ahmad Bradshaw also intrigues me but I think the Giants will hold onto him and eventually dump Brandon Jacobs. Michael Bush (Oakland Raiders) is another runningback who might be a nice fit in New England and Bill Belichick might want that big bruiser for his team. I would be shocked if Kansas City managed to let Jamaal Charles go via trade or free agency, but he's still a guy who could be available in 2011. There are plenty of receiver options to choose from next year so I'm not worried about who's coming in or who's going because if there is a need, Bob Kraft, Nick Caserio, Bill Belichick, and Floyd Reese will operate accordingly. Let's hope Taylor Price can make the right adjustments to his game and be someone to rely on. Beating the press is his only real enemy at this point. The offense shouldn't change too much with Moss leaving (hard to imagine that right now I assume for many of you).

If Logan Mankins and/or Matt Light isn't able to resign (and/or if Stephen Neal is retiring), then finding replacements should be easy. Help from free agent's Evan Mathis (OL, CIN), Ryan Kalil (OG/C, CAR), Charlie Johnson (OT/OG, IND), Tyson Clabo (OL, ATL), Marcus McNeil (OT/OG, SD), or someone else could be on the way. College offensive lineman Stefen Wisniewski from Penn State looks like a keeper, so maybe he'll be drafted to the Patriots with one of their early selections.

Along the defensive front 7, Tamba Hali (OLB/DE, KC) could be an interesting buy, but I think the Chiefs will be able to hold onto him. Tamba Hali is a very threatening power rusher off the edge from a standup position. He might be able to solve a number of teams pass rush problems, but with Belichick and the Patriots, resorting to the NFL Draft might be the best bet. There, I like Boston College's Mark Herzlich.

With more high draft picks and a lot of young guys flying around, the future might have great things in store for New England. But which veterans might not make it post-2010?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: With the youth movement in full effect...

Glad you got it all sorted out. whewee

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

^^I can't tell if you're being a complete stiff or not, but please, add more to the conversation than just a careless little comment like that. I made a post with some thought put into it, I made some fun predictions, and then you go out of your way to act like a clown.

Does anyone else have any say on the youth movement and its run into the 2011 offseason?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Long posts don't do well on this forum.

The youth movement has begun, more so than any in Bill's tenure, but the team also needs veterans to teach and add leadership.

Randy Moss ~ After his "Patriots don't pay" comment he seemed to settle in and have fun in camp. He's looked great in preseason. I'd love to see him come back but who can tell what goes on inside his head.

Taylor, Faulk, Morris ~ I believe the running back position will undergo a complete overhaul next year as did the tight end position this year. Faulk may be the exception.

Matt Light and Stephen Neal ~ I hope they return. Neal pondered retirement this year so he may be gone next year.

Ty Warren ~ Injuries have slowed him into mediocrity. Supposedly, his operation will return him to 100%. Let's hope so.

Tully Banta-Cain ~ Agree he will return.

James Sanders ~ He makes a lot of money for a non-starter.

Tom Brady ~ I've maintained all along that his contract situation is a non issue. The media uses Brady's silence on the matter as proof of discontent. Bullsh!t.

The rest ~ Impossible to project who will be here and who won't. With four more early draft picks next year added to the young players we already have, it will be hard for some veterans to stick.

In my humble opinion the future looks bright.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

With the two 1st rounders a RB and DE is probably in order.  The two 2nd rounders another pass rusher in the mold of Cunningham and OT.  This puts the finishing touches on the retool job.  I would then look at FA for another RB.  This thing is about as close as it can get to being fixed.

OL - Mankins is gone.  This thing has blown up badly.  When Kaczur returns I'd like to see him at guard.  Having him at RT in the past shows you how bad the depth is at the tackle spot.  Have plenty of depth at guard.

DL - Ty Warren has battled hip problems and is now taking care of that.  He should come back as the old Ty.  It's too bad of him missing out this year because I think having the two Warrens and Wilfork would be a pretty nice DL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

In Response to Re: With the youth movement in full effect...:
    Long posts don't do well on this forum.

It's almost as if kansaspatriot took my long post as a challenge to his or this forums integrity. Like I'm a rookie speaking out against a veteran in the locker room or something lol. You know what I'm saying?

Thanks a ton for the incite digger0862. It was fun reading your response and comparing your thoughts to mine.

Right now, I like to think Michael Bush will be our first signing (Oakland Raiders). Faulk, Fred Taylor, and BenJarvus all could definitely come back on cheap, one-year deals, (maybe two years for Green-Ellis). I expect the Pats to pursue a RB heavily in the next offseason. I'm thinking the Pats will be held back in their free agency spending early on by the Final 8 rule for teams that make it to the divisional round in the playoffs, (yes, I expect the Pats to at least get to the divisional round of the playoffs this season).

By the time some of our higher profile guys sign elsewhere, (presumably Randy Moss, Matt Light, and Laurence Maroney, by my estimation), I think Joseph Addai will have been tied up with the Colts, Jamaal Charles likely franchised by the Chiefs, and Ahmad Bradshaw held close by the Giants. Cedric Benson is set to be a free agent, but I don't expect much glory from him in 2010, nor very much interest from the Patriots. Still, Benson could garner some late talks and a visit with the Pats if Cinncy doesn't offer wide open arms initially. 

DeAngelo Williams, (free agent in 2011), is a fantastic back with a great feel for the game of football, and right now it's tough to say whether the Panthers organization will give him the tag or not. Backups Cedric Peerman and Tyrell Sutton can fill the void left behind a possible DeAngelo Williams departure, especially with former 1st round pick Jonathan Stewart being prepared to take over the starting role. If the Pats front office really tries to go after one NFL veteran not already in connection with the team itself, I think that person is going to be DeAngelo Williams. Considering his age (28), experience, talents, production, and how he'd fit in, Williams may even be worth trading draft picks for. I'm not holding my breath for a superstar acquisition, but the possibility is very clearly there.

How does the potential work stoppage affect all of this? I think things will get worked out after a minor holdout from the players side, before training camp gets underway. The 2011 NFL Draft will run as scheduled, minicamps might be lost, but I would be absolutely shocked if there wasn't an NFL preseason taking place, nevermind a lost regular season. Free agency will probably see the most movement in those who feel they're going from one situation to a much better one, (I.E. Michael Bush, Oakland Raiders to New England Patriots for fair market value), or franchise items remaining a hometown centerpiece, (I.E. Tom Brady resigning with the team he'll trust AND get lots of dough from).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

AT this point BP WHO THE HELL CARES??!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

In Response to Re: With the youth movement in full effect...:
    AT this point BP WHO THE HELL CARES??!!!
    Posted by NEGAME

Does this really need answering? Heck, does this kind of question seriously need to be brought up to begin with? The future is something I find fun to talk about and others do too apparently. If you don't care to think about this stuff, then simply think about the million other minor transactions that are taking place this time of year. I am doing that myself, but I also stumbled upon the idea of the 2011 offseason because that's what some of these current transactions are moving towards. What happens today affects tomorrow.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Tullys replacement is probably coming in the next draft. Toms contract isnt an issue and Faulk barring a injury will be back for one more year.

I really want the Pats to push for Deangelo Williams in FA as theres a good chance he wont be tagged and they will go forward with Stew.

Randy is the real wild card here and honestly it could go either way and I think Bill wont want to part with him if hes healthy and still giving this team the plays it needs. Very expensive 2 year deal for Randy. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Why do you want Door Matt to return?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

^^I can't tell if you're being a complete stiff or not, but please, add more to the conversation than just a careless little comment like that. I made a post with some thought put into it, I made some fun predictions, and then you go out of your way to act like a clown. Does anyone else have any say on the youth movement and its run into the 2011 offseason?
    Posted by Brendon-Patrick

hey its a great post, i like it. i'm pretty much on the sme page about the youth movement.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to  Re: With the youth movement in full effect... : It's almost as if kansaspatriot took my long post as a challenge to his or this forums integrity. Like I'm a rookie speaking out against a veteran in the locker room or something lol. Posted by Brendon-Patrick

no, i didn't see a challenge at all. your welcome to your opinion and it was a very good read. sorry my respnse sounded sarcastic. i will say it was better than reading all the cry baby posts recently. keep up the great postingSmile

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Looks like the Steelers beleieve in the youth movement too

http://pit.scout.com/2/998937.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

^I apologize then, sorry.

Sections
Shortcuts