Wooble Banta-Redd will have at least 15 sacks for the Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Wooble Banta-Redd will have at least 15 sacks for the Pats

For all those people obsessed with Julius Peppers and/or Derrick Burgess, let me intorduce you to OLB Wooble Banta-Redd. This player offers extreme versatility, will never get tired, and even when injured will send some part of himself out there to play OLB for the Patriots. I guarantee that this player will produce 15 sacks for the Patriots from the ROLB position, exceeding KC ROLB Mike Vrabel and any amount of sacks that Julius Peppers would have if he were here.

So I, for one, am extremely happy to have Adalius Thomas on one side and Wooble Banta-Redd on the other. OLB weakness my a**!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: Wooble Banta-Redd will have at least 15 sacks for the Pats

LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

Awesome! I only hope!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Thomas is moving inside (I hope).  Wooble Banta-Redd, however, is perfectly capable of playing LOLB and ROLB at once.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

There is no reason fro Thomas to move inside, he is good on the inside but he can be great on the outside. Bruschi who had 77 tackles solo last year at his age and could have done more had he not been hurt the last 4 games will be just fine spelling time with Guyton and with Mayo as the true # 1 we will be fine. Thomas will spend most of his time on the outside I would bet money on it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

its a nice thought.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BellaCheate. Show BellaCheate's posts

Caesar, I think you need to wean yourself from the hallucinatory drugs. Maybe close down the in-house meth lab and stop drinking the Wild Turkey.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

I'll give you 8 sacks. More important, though, is the versatility (as you stated) and (perhaps similarly) well-roundedness that Woods, Crable and Banta-Cain collectively bring. (I think Redd doesn't make the final 53, but could be brought in mid-season).

Thomas may play some ILB when Bill thinks it's a better matchup with him there, but he'll primarily be an OLB. Besides, Lenon adds some significant depth at ILB, so Thomas' services at ILB will be less in demand.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Banta Cain has already proven that he can start at ROLB in our system and beat very good offenses (such as San Diego in the 2006 playoffs).  Woods, Crable and Redd should be more than adequate at the LOLB spot.  Then we can put Thomas inside, who can do everything an ILB should do - stop the run, cover, and rush the passer.  I think Thomas was more disruptive and made more plays at ILB than OLB - our D was at its best in 2007 when he was inside and Colvin was at LOLB.  Mayo, Bruschi, Guyton, Lennon are all good at the weak ILB spot but not at strong ILB -only Thomas can do that. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

So J. Mayo who was by far our best defensive player last year cant play the strong ILB spot? what team were you watching last year. Mayo played nothing but teh strong ILB spot last year while Bruschi and Guyton switched off at the weak ILB spot so how exactly did you come to teh conclusion that Mayo cant play the strong ILB spot? I agree Thomas was good at ILB but he was far better at OLB, the reason we signed him was cause he had three straight years with double diget sacks all at OLB so that is his best spot. And Banta Cain is not a starter for any team including ours. He is a sub package player or a 3rd down rusher sometimes. If he even makes the team which i dont think he will.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Mayo did a good job at strong ILB, so did Bruschi before him, that doesn't mean they are ideal for it or that Thomas wouldn't be an upgrade.  We brought in Thomas to play whatever Belichick wants him to play and until Rosie went down Belichik wanted him to play strong ILB so I don't know what team you were watching.  And Thomas on the inside returned a Philip Rivers interception 236 yards for a TD, tackled Ladainian for a 400 yard loss that same game, pressured that non-McNabb Eagles QB into throwing a softy right into Asante's mits, and held practically all our opponents the first half of 2007 to 20 points or less. 

With Thomas on the outside we got run over by the Ravens and even the Steelers if you recall.  The Giants put up a ton of points on us the last game of the season.  Yeah he got some sacks but Rosie and Vrabel were getting plenty before him and his two in the Superbowl were each for barely a one yard loss and he completely missed Eli on the miracle. 

Banta Cain was a starter on our team in 2006 when our defense carried us to the AFC championship game. 

Did I mention I don't know what team you were watching?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

" And Thomas on the inside returned a Philip Rivers interception 236 yards for a TD" - Mighty

Really he returned a INT 236 yards? so he ran end zone to end zone twice? and then what sprinted to teh 36 yard line for fun? What game did you see this in? your dreams?

"tackled Ladainian for a 400 yard loss that same game" - Mighty

A 400 yard loss you say? I didnt even know there were 400 yards on a football field i always thought it was just 100 yards per field. did he chase him from our 1 yard line all the way back to his own end zone 4 times in order to get a 400 yard loss? what game team were you watching? was it in a dream?

What team were YOU watching? And when did they add 300 more yards to a football field?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Well since your willing to guarantee it, I guess that gives your statement legitimacy.  Heck, 3 nobodies = 15 sacks.....absolutely.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Ya heard me.  It was almost as impressive as his 3000 yard sack of Brett Favre this year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

LOL ok so long as we are clear lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

-- "And Thomas on the inside returned a Philip Rivers interception 236 yards for a TD, tackled Ladainian for a 400 yard loss that same game, pressured that non-McNabb Eagles QB into throwing a softy right into Asante's mits, and held practically all our opponents the first half of 2007 to 20 points or less." --

And he brought sandwiches for everybody and paid for parking.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

He makes one hell of a sandwich

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I agree that Thomas would be most versitile on the inside.  It took a while to convine me but he can drop back into coverage, stop the run and rush the passer effectively from the gut.  We just don't have enough players on the outside to allow this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Thomas is an above-average ILB and a good OLB. Besides, there are plenty of bodies at ILB (Mayo, Bruschi, Guyton and Lenon).

As far as Banta-Cain being a starter, the problem is that he's one-dimensional. He's a pass-rusher (not a great one). He never was able to develop into a well-rounded OLB. That's a big reason he did not do well with the 49ers. Bill was able to scheme aroud his weaknesses and get the most out of him in 2006.

In 2009, with more well-rounded OLBs Woods and Crable on the roster, there is no need for Banta-Cain to start, unless the injury bug hits. However, I did read that Banta-Cain was lining up at DE in some 4-man fronts during the OTA's. I think 4-3 DE may be a more natural fit for him.

So what you have in Banta-Cain is a DE in 4-man fronts, a situational OLB in the base defense (when you want an adequate pure pass-rusher), a guy who you know you can get away with as a starter if it came to it, and an experienced special teamer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

In Response to Re: Wooble Banta-Redd will have at least 15 sacks for the Pats:
    Thomas is an above-average ILB and a good OLB. Besides, there are plenty of bodies at ILB (Mayo, Bruschi, Guyton and Lenon). As far as Banta-Cain being a starter, the problem is that he's one-dimensional. He's a pass-rusher (not a great one). He never was able to develop into a well-rounded OLB. That's a big reason he did not do well with the 49ers. Bill was able to scheme aroud his weaknesses and get the most out of him in 2006. In 2009, with more well-rounded OLBs Woods and Crable on the roster, there is no need for Banta-Cain to start, unless the injury bug hits. However, I did read that Banta-Cain was lining up at DE in some 4-man fronts during the OTA's. I think 4-3 DE may be a more natural fit for him. So what you have in Banta-Cain is a DE in 4-man fronts, a situational OLB in the base defense (when you want an adequate pure pass-rusher), a guy who you know you can get away with as a starter if it came to it, and an experienced special teamer.
    Posted by Ritchie_az

I’m not really sure whether you’re suggesting Thomas is better inside or outside; we do NOT have good depth inside either (projections on Guyton, Woods, Redd and Crable are all speculation).  To be frank, I see A.D. as potentially the best inside linebacker in the league (3-4) based on his versatility and ability to dominate situations but that is not why they paid him big money.  He can get more production and be more valuable on the outside based on what we have there.  It’s just too bad Rosie got injured and we didn’t pick anyone else up.

I totally agree on everything you mentioned on T.B.C.  I would even suggest in an alternate 3-4 speed package he could be a DE pass rusher like Jarvis Green as long as they didn’t anticipate run.  Who knows though; he’s in the “prime” of his career and he’s been in the same system for the entirety.  He could be a valuable layer of depth if nothing else.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

"To be frank, I see A.D. as potentially the best inside linebacker in the league (3-4)"

Wow. Seriously? Do you really mean that? Or are you pulling my leg?

To put this in perspective, at the beginning of last season Thomas split time (I can't recall, was it 70/30? 80/20?) between OLB and ILB, usually switching spots on third down. But slowely then quickly Guyton began getting those snaps instead. By week five or six (I forget which) Guyton was getting all of those snaps at ILB and Thomas was remaining on the outside.

Obviously, Bill Belichick thought keeping Thomas on the outside and having Guyton on the inside created better matchups.

For 2009 at ILB, Mayo, Bruschi, Guton and Lenon are a very solid group. No, not as good as '04, but certainly as deep a group as the Patriots have assembled since. I'm excited about what they'll accomplish.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

We have no idea how Lenon will do.  We've taken plenty of linebackers from other teams and tried to put them at ILB and seen them fail year after year (Monty Beisel, Chad Brown, Victor Hobson).  I would expect Eric Alexander to be better - people demand immediate production out of him but BB has kept him around to learn the system and he should be pretty good by now. 

Thomas may be the best strongside ILB in a 3-4 in the league.  I can't think of anyone else who can bring his massive run-stopping ability to the inside along with his ability to drop back and get pressure up the middle.  I would think we put him inside against run-heavy teams, while Mayo and Guyton can do pretty well against pass-oriented teams.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

"Thomas may be the best strongside ILB in a 3-4 in the league."

I guess you are not joking. Mayo is better. I'm sure most teams that use the 3-4 have a better ILB than Thomas. Think about this: if he is such a great ILB, then why is he an OLB? Why didn't the Raven's use him primarily at ILB?
    I'm not saying he can't play ILB. I'm just saying he primarily plays OLB for a reason.

"We have no idea how Lenon will do."

You are correct. But he has nearly four years of starting experience, and led his team in tackles twice. The only unknown is how long it will take him to adjust to the 3-4 and learn the playbook, and if he'll surpass Guyton or not. In the meantime, he's fourth on the depth-chart and a good and experienced special teams player.

"I would expect Eric Alexander to be better"

It's time for Alexander to [pooh] or get off the pot. This year he has a lot of competition, and I think he's going to have to show significant improvement to make the final 53. My guess is he will be cut. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Mayo is a better overall ILB.  He's not as suited for the strongside spot as Thomas.  Just like Bruschi was a better ILB than Ted Johnson, but not as well suited for the stongside spot.  Mayo would be devastating at weakside ILB if Thomas played strongside. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BellaCheate. Show BellaCheate's posts

In Response to Re: Wooble Banta-Redd will have at least 15 sacks for the Pats:
    I'll give you 8 sacks. More important, though, is the versatility (as you stated) and (perhaps similarly) well-roundedness that Woods, Crable and Banta-Cain collectively bring. (I think Redd doesn't make the final 53, but could be brought in mid-season). Thomas may play some ILB when Bill thinks it's a better matchup with him there, but he'll primarily be an OLB. Besides, Lenon adds some significant depth at ILB, so Thomas' services at ILB will be less in demand.
    Posted by Ritchie_az

If Redd is so good, and does not make the final 53, some other team will pick him up for free.

Sections
Shortcuts