Wooble Banta-Redd will have at least 15 sacks for the Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BellaCheate. Show BellaCheate's posts

Re: Wooble Banta-Redd will have at least 15 sacks for the Pats

What is it John Madden used to say...if you have a few "starters" at a position, you really have nobody? With all the talk of untested players stepping up, this is not championship-caliber thinking. We are better off finding a way to get a Burgess or Peppers than rely on these reaches who may or may not pan out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

"If Redd is so good, and does not make the final 53, some other team will pick him up for free."

It's my understanding that Redd has tons of potential but that he has a long way to go to reach that potential. I've heard statements along the lines of "He's not at the same level as the other OLBs" and "He's a project player." But he appearently has the right combination of size, speed and strength to be a successful OLB in the 3-4.
    Maybe he doesn't clear waivers if cut, but it sounds like he should begin the season (once again) on the Practice Squad and not on the 53.

"With all the talk of untested players stepping up, this is not championship-caliber thinking."

I think at some point you have to test the untested. After all, every successful player started off as untested until they stepped up. So lets give some of these guys a chance to become tested--a chance to step up. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

"Mayo is a better overall ILB.  He's not as suited for the strongside spot as Thomas.  Just like Bruschi was a better ILB than Ted Johnson, but not as well suited for the stongside spot.  Mayo would be devastating at weakside ILB if Thomas played strongside."

I've been trying to find a definitive answer, and I'm not finding it. Who was the "Mike" linebacker last year, Mayo or Bruschi/Thomas/Guyton? And is that even an accurate term anymore? Certainly there is enough versatility within the linebacker corps that it could be difficult to know play-to-play who had what responsibility without rewatching the tape.

I think what Mike Reiss observed about Thomas was that he looked much more comfortable as a "downhill" player. Perhaps with more time and experience he could develop into the great ILB you think he is. But right now he is a better OLB than ILB, and that is the position he is needed the most, anyway. He is a versatile player, though, and that is certainly an asset for the Patriots.    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: Wooble Banta-Redd will have at least 15 sacks for the Pats:
    [QUOTE]"Thomas may be the best strongside ILB in a 3-4 in the league." I guess you are not joking. Mayo is better. I'm sure most teams that use the 3-4 have a better ILB than Thomas. Think about this: if he is such a great ILB, then why is he an OLB? Why didn't the Raven's use him primarily at ILB? I'm not saying he can't play ILB. I'm just saying he primarily plays OLB for a reason. "We have no idea how Lenon will do." You are correct. But he has nearly four years of starting experience, and led his team in tackles twice. The only unknown is how long it will take him to adjust to the 3-4 and learn the playbook, and if he'll surpass Guyton or not. In the meantime, he's fourth on the depth-chart and a good and experienced special teams player. " I would expect Eric Alexander to be better" It's time for Alexander to [pooh] or get off the pot. This year he has a lot of competition, and I think he's going to have to show significant improvement to make the final 53. My guess is he will be cut. 
    Posted by Ritchie_az[/QUOTE] now you dont know how long it will take lenon,to adjust to the 3-4,or the pats scheme,but he will make the team over tully.who has experience in the pats system,and is also being tested in other positions.the tully now could be a lot better then the one back then.if anything he has gained experience.i know this is all based on opinions,but woods is a great fill-in. how many years has he been on the team,and has yet to prove to be good enough to start.so why does he deserve to now?and if crable shows his stuff,he will be starting.but i beleive tully will be in the first snap of the first game.how long that lasts after words remains to be seen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Woods started 3 games (before his jaw injury) in his three years with the team. Banta-Cain started 7 games (9 if you include post-season) in his four years with the team.

Banta-Cain was the top backup OLB from 2005-2006, while Woods was the top backup OLB from 2007-2008.

Banta-Cain is a (somewhat) better pass-rusher. Woods is better at every other aspect of the position.

Oh, and Lenon is an ILB who, by the way, has a stronger reseme than Woods and Banta-Cain combined.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: Wooble Banta-Redd will have at least 15 sacks for the Pats:
    [QUOTE]Woods started 3 games (before his jaw injury) in his three years with the team. Banta-Cain started 7 games (9 if you include post-season) in his four years with the team. Banta-Cain was the top backup OLB from 2005-2006, while Woods was the top backup OLB from 2007-2008. Banta-Cain is a (somewhat) better pass-rusher. Woods is better at every other aspect of the position. Oh, and Lenon is an ILB who, by the way, has a stronger reseme than Woods and Banta-Cain combined.
    Posted by Ritchie_az[/QUOTE]yes i know lenon is an inside LB.but i think he only has a small edge.playing on the lions defense,our punter could rack up 100 tkls.also there was a post i did a while back about players,and tkls.yes its good that a player can tackle,but how many are positive,or negative tackles?a positive is for a loss or very little gain.a negative is after the player made a first down,or gained huge yardage.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

"The only unknown is how long it will take him to adjust to the 3-4 and learn the playbook, and if he'll surpass Guyton or not. In the meantime, he's fourth on the depth-chart and a good and experienced special teams player."

No, the unknown is whether Lenon can even play in our 3-4.  Lots of good linebackers from other teams who did well in a 4-3 simply cannot handle the gap responsibilities of ILB in our 3-4.  And the team Lenon led in tackles was the Detroit Lions.  But if he can play special teams as well as you say, then he will probably make the roster. 

"Oh, and Lenon is an ILB who, by the way, has a stronger reseme than Woods and Banta-Cain combined."

I think we all know BB doesn't care about resumes.  He's been keeping guys like Woods and Alexander (and Banta-Cain back in the day) on the team to learn the system and become starters one day.  BB has been patient with them and so should we.