world cup thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImagydSportsBos. Show ImagydSportsBos's posts

world cup thread

with us about 2 shock da world, thougt it would b nice 2 start a thread to comment on all the world cup game. germany destroying portugal is definitely a shock. same with spain lovelacing to netherland 5-1. exciting wc o far. tough game to call

Da Commy's on the 5th dimension of CONSCIOUSNESS, I'm just a humble servant at the 3rd dimension like the rest of y'all mere mortals!

@imagydBoston... Twitter is where its at!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Re: world cup thread

Why was Germany beating Portugal a shock? Germany has a far better team overall, even if Portugal has CR7.

The Dutch winning over Spain was thrilling. I would like to see Holland make it back to the final again.

Supra societatem nemo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I once watched Belgium play Denmark.  The key play of the game was a guy falling down and holding his knee.  The game ended in a tie, and the crowd went wild.  I guess I don't get this game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I once watched Belgium play Denmark.  The key play of the game was a guy falling down and holding his knee.  The game ended in a tie, and the crowd went wild.  I guess I don't get this game.

[/QUOTE]

Like all games you need to know the game, and probably have some feelings invested in a team to make it worthwhile. When was the game you watched? The crowd going wild must be because the result mattered in that tournament.

Supra societatem nemo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Some people have no clue about the conditioning and how hard it is to score.

the athleticism is also insane along with the skill level.  I playeD soccer and then football.  Each is clearly different and i hated the pansies who flopped.  The italians are the most pathetic.

we used to play medford when i was on a traveling team in elementary school.  They were incredible but flopped like no tomorrow.  I saw it with them vs england on friday.

i usually root for the dutch outside of the us, but they never seem to put it together  when they field very good clubs every time out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Yes, soccer CAN be really boring but I respect the game mainly because I'm trash with my feet. No skill at all and I really am amazed at what some of these guys can do with the ball. 

I love watching a couple good teams play, Spain-Netherlands, England-Italy and Brazil-Croatia all have been really good games. Then there's the Ivory Coast-Japan and Iran Nigeria matchups that bore me to sleep.

i know a pretty good amount of the stars because of the video game lol so that helps a lot. 

The only reason I care about soccer is because it's not TC yet and nba and nhl are done and soccer is better than baseball IMO 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

Have just begun to get into soccer, both my boys play. I love the intensity and the craziness of the fans. I cannot understand all the flopping and complaining but have really just begun following. I really enjoy watching messi play. Agreed with an earlier comment, if the pats were playing soccer would be way back. However some incredibly gifted athletes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Hey Commie - your alter ego ImagyD doesn't know too much about football, he's kinda jabro on this stuff. 

Germany whipping Portugal was no surprise. 

"did u see that goal by the US? perfectly elite... losing altidore will hurt but u got donovan and eddie johnson"

Umm - Donovan isn't on the team - did you miss the hundreds of stories on this while trying to get Brandon Spikes to reply to you on Twitter?

.. btw, US soccer is the most diversified.. brothas, caucs,lats.. all working together..."

Yeah it's definitely diverse - too bad it's a competition for global dominance and not an episode of Glee. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to tg19pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Have just begun to get into soccer, both my boys play. I love the intensity and the craziness of the fans. I cannot understand all the flopping and complaining but have really just begun following. I really enjoy watching messi play. Agreed with an earlier comment, if the pats were playing soccer would be way back. However some incredibly gifted athletes.

[/QUOTE]

Was in a sports bar here last night down the street, ironically owned by a Pats fan from Bridgewater, MA originally.

It was really cool to be in a sports bar and have everyone erupt when each goal was scored.  Very cool, actually. It got really loud in there on the 2nd, dramatic goal to win it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Soccer, hockey, basketball, lacrosse---all basically the same idea ( guys in continuous motion advancing balls/pucks up a playing surface by some means more complicated than carrying it and trying to put it in some kind of goal.  All can be equally exciting. . . or equally dull.  

Gridiron football is different because of the set plays.  To me, that's what makes gridiron special.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Soccer, hockey, basketball, lacrosse---all basically the same idea ( guys in continuous motion advancing balls/pucks up a playing surface by some means more complicated than carrying it and trying to put it in some kind of goal.  All can be equally exciting. . . or equally dull.  

Gridiron football is different because of the set plays.  To me, that's what makes gridiron special.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

if soccer had a penalty box and changed players on the fly it might be exciting.  Why do they even play the. 90 min?  Why don't they just line up for the goal kicks and get it over with?  

What ruined any recent chance of soccer taking hold in the us was the last time it was here in the us (men's and women's) it ended in goal kicks.  I'm sorry but the championship of the world should actually end in a goal, even if it takes 3 days. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

USA looked like sissies giving up that late goal to Portugal yesterday, what a shame. Germany is gonna pound us

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

if soccer had a penalty box and changed players on the fly it might be exciting.  Why do they even play the. 90 min?  Why don't they just line up for the goal kicks and get it over with?  

What ruined any recent chance of soccer taking hold in the us was the last time it was here in the us (men's and women's) it ended in goal kicks.  I'm sorry but the championship of the world should actually end in a goal, even if it takes 3 days. 

[/QUOTE]

I have to admit, though, that the World Cup matches I've watched have been pretty exciting to watch.  I've never been a big soccer fan, but the skill of these guys and the passing and ball handling in general is something to watch.  Honestly, I could become a fan. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

sorry, but hockey is not like those other sports you mentioned.

[object HTMLDivElement]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

In response to oklahomapatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

USA looked like sissies giving up that late goal to Portugal yesterday, what a shame. Germany is gonna pound us

[/QUOTE]

I thought the US looked good in that game, better than I would have expected against a solid Portugese team. One could hope for a boring draw in the Germany-USA game, so both teams move on from the group stage. Getting Klinsmann as coach is a real coup for USA. I think they play at high tactical level, and with a lot of heart. IF they move on from the group as number 2, they'll probably meet Belgium, a difficult but not impossible game to win. But then, sans upsets, Argentina awaits, and that'll be the end.

Supra societatem nemo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

[/QUOTE]

I have to admit, though, that the World Cup matches I've watched have been pretty exciting to watch.  I've never been a big soccer fan, but the skill of these guys and the passing and ball handling in general is something to watch.  Honestly, I could become a fan. 

[/QUOTE]

There have been som really great games, and a relatively high number of upsets. Costa Rica, for crying out loud! What's up with that? Games at a high technical and tactical level, lots of goals. So far it has been more exciting than in South Africa in 2010.

Who do you guys see as World Champions in the end? So far Brazil, Argentina, Germany, and Holland look like the strongest teams IMO, and out of the four Brazil may have a slight edge with the homefield advantage.

Supra societatem nemo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

When it comes to soccer I must admit to being a pink hat bandwagon fan lol.  I get interested in it when the US is playing and playing well, but not so much otherwise.  The US is getting better and better at it though.  I spend a good part of each summer in Europe and like to rib the folks about the perceived boringness.  I love the meme floating around FB of the guy staring at a wall with the caption "Still More Exciting than Watching Soccer" lol.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How so?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There have been som really great games, and a relatively high number of upsets. Costa Rica, for crying out loud! What's up with that? Games at a high technical and tactical level, lots of goals. So far it has been more exciting than in South Africa in 2010.

Who do you guys see as World Champions in the end? So far Brazil, Argentina, Germany, and Holland look like the strongest teams IMO, and out of the four Brazil may have a slight edge with the homefield advantage.

Supra societatem nemo

[/QUOTE]

Outside the US, I'm rooting for the Dutch - they've waited a long time for it.  I think Brazil get tougher as the tourney goes on and it becomes their's to lose.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yeah just not a big fan of soccer. It seems flopping and acting are the best ways to score goals, there's no real clock as they can just add time or they can just let a play finish out even if it's still needs 3 mins to develop, tie breakers aren't decided by heads up matches first but by point differential so if you tie someone you beat but you had one bad game they still beat you?, the refs are worse than basketball refs, and people are happy with a 0-0 game. Yeah just not for me but it's not for everyone.

Can't respect any of that

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrDribbleDits. Show DrDribbleDits's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah just not a big fan of soccer. It seems flopping and acting are the best ways to score goals, there's no real clock as they can just add time or they can just let a play finish out even if it's still needs 3 mins to develop, tie breakers aren't decided by heads up matches first but by point differential so if you tie someone you beat but you had one bad game they still beat you?, the refs are worse than basketball refs, and people are happy with a 0-0 game. Yeah just not for me but it's not for everyone.

Can't respect any of that

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

[/QUOTE]

this sport would be enjoyable if not for the disease of flopping which has reached epidemic proportions.  its so bad im beginning to believe these games are fixed.  theres no way referees cant recognize most of these flops.  what a shame.  this game has become a circus of men writhin around on thebground in agony. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I thought baseball was boring to watch on TV.....until I tried soccer....

No thanks!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to fatsam72's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How so?

[/QUOTE]

LOL. You ever watch a hockey game? With the speed and the hits, even football doesn't compare to hockey. Sissies play soccer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

It may be the offseason for some American sports, but that hasn’t stopped its members (or its girlfriends) from integrating themselves into the world’s biggest tournament.

During Croatia’s final match of the group stage against Mexico, Bill Belichick’s girlfriend, Linda Holliday, showed support for her boyfriend and his roots by posting a picture on Instagram wearing a delightful Croatian shirt.

For those amazed at the sudden discovery that Belichick is Croatian, the history lesson was actually given back in 2005 by Bob Ryan during an interview with The Boston Globe:

Steve Belichick came from classic football country -- Western Pennsylvania and Eastern Ohio. He was the youngest of five children born to Ivan (known as John) and Mary Barkovic Bilicic. Yes, the name is Croatian and it was Anglicized, not at Ellis Island as so many others were, but by a first grade teacher in Monessen, Pa., where all the Belichick children were born. It was an Old World existence.
    Judging by the way Belichick is with his own team (and also depending on how passionate he is about the Croatian team), no pictures were likely taken at the end of the match.

"Another day closer to the parade"

Sections
Shortcuts