world cup thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Re: world cup thread

In what other sport (aside from boxing when Iron Mike was known to be a wack-a-do) is it ever ok to bite an opponent in the shoulder like a rabid dog would.....Soccer is a nice little sport for nice little kids but will never compete in this country with major American sports no matter how popular it is world-wide. Not ever going to happen...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMUFranco. Show JMUFranco's posts

It's not okay to bite an opponent in soccer either, hence all the media attention for it. He just didn't get caught in real-time in the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Soccer may never be popular in the US, but in a way that's too bad for the US.  I think it's a pretty good sport to watch when played at a high level as in the world cup. The problem is that there's only so much you can watch, and Americans are pretty stuck on football and baseball, with basketball and hockey pulling up the rear.  There are plenty of other great team sports around the world--soccer, lacrosse, aussie rules football (one of my favourites when I see it), rugby, Gaelic football, cricket, even field hockey.  But who can follow them all . . . it's just too much.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Soccer may never be popular in the US, but in a way that's too bad for the US.  I think it's a pretty good sport to watch when played at a high level as in the world cup. The problem is that there's only so much you can watch, and Americans are pretty stuck on football and baseball, with basketball and hockey pulling up the rear.  There are plenty of other great team sports around the world--soccer, lacrosse, aussie rules football (one of my favourites when I see it), rugby, Gaelic football, cricket, even field hockey.  But who can follow them all . . . it's just too much.  

The thing I like about soccer (football) is the enthusiasm of the fans. It's not only in the world cup but in EPL matches and leagues from other countries. At least the match is over in 2 hours (including injury and halftime) as opposed to 3-4 hour baseball games where half the players either stand around most of the time or sit on the bench. they get paid outrageous sums for a season of games (it is very long and exhausting) but at least soccer has constant running to keep you occupied. Soccer will get more popular year by year but it will never take over the 4 major sports or be anything close to other countries' popularity

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to cousteau's comment:

The thing I like about soccer (football) is the enthusiasm of the fans. It's not only in the world cup but in EPL matches and leagues from other countries. At least the match is over in 2 hours (including injury and halftime) as opposed to 3-4 hour baseball games where half the players either stand around most of the time or sit on the bench. they get paid outrageous sums for a season of games (it is very long and exhausting) but at least soccer has constant running to keep you occupied. Soccer will get more popular year by year but it will never take over the 4 major sports or be anything close to other countries' popularity

[object HTMLDivElement]

I think part of the popularity comes from there being really no other sports around the world the general public can enjoy. In the US we have 4 major sports that have been around for decades but most other sports around the world aren't close to that level  compared to Soccer. Golf and F1 rank up there in Europe but for the most part sports are expensive and hence the vast majority of the world can really only work with a cheap ball and a makeshift goal to play with. If the rest of the world had other options over the decades that were inexpensive to play I don't think the passion would be as high as when they can focus it into a single sport but I do think it would be better overall for soccer because I don't think the fans would tolerate the level of corruption and flopping that goes on as they do now. Then again we do with basketball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Soccer, hockey, basketball, lacrosse---all basically the same idea ( guys in continuous motion advancing balls/pucks up a playing surface by some means more complicated than carrying it and trying to put it in some kind of goal.  All can be equally exciting. . . or equally dull.  

Gridiron football is different because of the set plays.  To me, that's what makes gridiron special.

Not completely true. Soccer has plenty of set plays. You must have to understand what you are watching. A corner kick is a great example of a set play. Watch the players near the goal, how they move, position themselves, etc. there is a lot of strategy involved in soccer. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

In what other sport (aside from boxing when Iron Mike was known to be a wack-a-do) is it ever ok to bite an opponent in the shoulder like a rabid dog would.....Soccer is a nice little sport for nice little kids but will never compete in this country with major American sports no matter how popular it is world-wide. Not ever going to happen...

Perhaps. But with the influx of our guests from the south, you might see soccer overtake the big 3-4 as the demographic changes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Again soccer is for sissies, and they still act like kids and bite others.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

The "Canibal". Makes soccer exciting. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Soccer is huge with the 5'5" 140lb demographic. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Baseball? Nobody likes baseball that's becoming less popular in this fast paced world. Until they fix the 30 seconds between pitches crap and consistent timeouts in the box and the 162 game season baseball will continue to fall to the NBA

Its NFL, NBA ...... MLB ..... NHL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

After watching the kick ball game today I asked myself how can a team tie one game then lose the next and still be in it? 

I am done watching the World Cup.

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Soccer, hockey, basketball, lacrosse---all basically the same idea ( guys in continuous motion advancing balls/pucks up a playing surface by some means more complicated than carrying it and trying to put it in some kind of goal.  All can be equally exciting. . . or equally dull.  

Gridiron football is different because of the set plays.  To me, that's what makes gridiron special.

Not completely true. Soccer has plenty of set plays. You must have to understand what you are watching. A corner kick is a great example of a set play. Watch the players near the goal, how they move, position themselves, etc. there is a lot of strategy involved in soccer. 

I guess I said it wrong.  (Basketball and hockey have plays too).  But all the sports I mentioned are continuous action sports.  Football has discrete plays, clearly separated one from the other. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Hooray.  Juice box and a trophy for everyone !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Brady2Welker47

I tried watching soccer and honestly I find watching paint dry more exciting...guess I'm spoiled by American football...sorry just my opinion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Best soccer game ever. Clearly though, it's a thinking man's sport and Americans will never embrace such a cerebral game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92vV3QGagck

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

LOL!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Heyyyy. We didnt shock the world we lost 2 out of 3.  Thank goodness for trophy s and Capri sun. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Heyyyy. We didnt shock the world we lost 2 out of 3.  Thank goodness for trophy s and Capri sun. 

we won, tied and lost Phil.  Even for a soccer-grump like yourself, pretty easy to look up a boxscore.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

This is what I don't get about the World Cup and the U.S. team. Maybe some soccer person can help me out, help me see the error of my ways?

The U.S. team is middle to back of the World Cup pack, with virtually no chance to win the thing, right? But we're supposed to be excited because they beat a third world nation, one of those places where we send 18 cents a day to feed some starving kid? And we tied Portugal, which has the population of Chicago. But we gave the Nazis a run for their money, so we can feel good about that...

So, in summary we know we aren't going to win, but we're participating and we're trying hard and if you don't embrace soccer, you just aren't cool?

If you love soccer, more power to you. It's fine exercise, and well, there are fewer concussions than football (still alot though, see below). As for me, coming in eighth place still sucks. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/reducing-the-number-of-concussions-in-high-school-girls-soccer-is-a-daunting-task/2014/04/24/4054f470-c6ff-11e3-9f37-7ce307c56815_story.html

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

What Germany didn't do, Belgium will. They are the best team in the WC. I hate to see it happen, but USA will get spanked.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to fatsam72's comment:

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

we won, tied and lost Phil.  Even for a soccer-grump like yourself, pretty easy to look up a boxscore.

[object HTMLDivElement]

a tie and a loss. We should be eliminated. I'm going to Manaus and I'll be able to see the stadium but the soccer grump in me I guarantee won't be going to any games.   They shouldn't bother with the games just do the goal kicks and get it over with. I asked a friend of mine from England why they don't settle the soccer championship of the world with a goal and he had lame excuses like they will get tired or they will pull a hamstring.  when it was in the us the men's and women's ended in goal kicks. How boring. And what's with the running and skidding on the knees thing ?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I watched soccer over the years because I have friends with European and South American roots and they are complete fanatics.

Myth #1 that seems to be getting pushed by ESPN and the rest of the Alphabet channel talking heads. "If you don't like soccer You're not intellectual enough to understand the beauty of the sport". You want to talk about Elitist, uppity  Theory. Soccer is about as hard to understand as a game of checkers and unfortunately it's just as good a spectator sport as checkers too.I was lucky enough to be able to stream the Germany game at work and we looked awful. To come out and celebrate after that hideous loss because we backed in to the next round is a joke.

I look at it this way. I must have at least 300 channels on my TV plus hulu and DVDs. I guarantee you at any given time of the day there is something better on than soccer. If anybody wants to watch it that doesn't bother me but unless I'm at work and my boss lets me watch I think I'll pass.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I've been enjoying the World Cup games so much, I actually bought Toronto FC tickets today.  Always good to expand one's horizons, I think. 

Sections
Shortcuts