Worried about the OL??? I am!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Worried about the OL??? I am!

It was a very disappointing game for the OL as a group but specially for Light who was beat bad on a number of plays.  When the LT is chasing a blitzer from behind you know you are in trouble and I saw that on a number of plays.

Some have been praising the OL because of the low number of sacks allowed but as last season those numbers are worthless because TB gets rid of the ball quickly.  In this game he had 2 seconds to get rid of the ball before he had a LB in his face. 

I'm worried after watching this game, they were exposed.  Next week they get a pretty good front 7 this OL better get it together or the D will need to carry the team as they have for the last two games.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Worried about the OL??? I am!

He never does well against smaller/faster DEs or OLBs.  Not surprising.  I would have liked to have seen more screens, draws, etc, to offset that, but apparently Bill O'Brien HAS to use a set number of predictable spread plays in a game.

Focus on the source of the supposed "bad O Line" play.  It wasn't their best game, but O'Brien can help the line by simply making it less predictable.

This team is not going anywhere unless they commit to a run game every week.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Yeah, I'd say the O-Line looks like it did last year and they didn't do a whole lot to improve it in the off season. I'm not giving up on them though as the Chargers looked pretty good on defense. I bet things look a little better after the Vikings game. Matt Light is pretty bad though when it comes to speed rushers and I hope we address this issue in next years draft with at least one of their upper picks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I've been worried about the OL for a while.  Every offseason, it seems, I keep saying the Pats need to draft a top OT and almost no one ever seems to agree.  But Light isn't that good, Neal is old, Connolly isn't as good as fans seem to think he is, Koppen is just mediocre, and Vollmer seems less impressive this year than last. This line can't handle quick, agile pass rushers and it isn't a great run-blocking line.  I'm actually looking forward to Mankins coming back.  Fans hate him, but I think BB is going to welcome him with open arms because he can help the team. The OT problem, though, isn't going to be solved until next season, I'm afraid, and I do worry that line's weakness will be exploited again. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

The tackle play was a definite concern.  Light has been a concern in particular for the past couple of years. He just can't handle guys who are quick. I think they trusted both tackles to handle their assignments one on one and it wasn't working. They look vulnerable against teams with a good edge rush. 

I'm just wondering why a 3 man rush is getting to Brady so often. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Good points, next year's draft so far doesn't look like a very heavy draft with top quality left tackle types.  Pats might have to jump on a tackle with the Oakland pick if they deside that's a priority.

OBrian IS setting up Tom for failure, you can't tell me a few screens would had slowed down that pass rush.  I'm not sure what goes through his head but I'm also seeing people saying Tom is not the same player.  On a few plays I counted and 2 seconds was how quick tom had to throw the ball before a LB was on him.

I hope they put Alge or Gronk on that side to help Light or the next few weeks will be a problem.  I think teams specially teams with the horses (speed rushers) will take that blue print and give the Pats OL all they can handle.

I would try Voll on the Left side next week and see who can you put on the right. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trident13. Show trident13's posts

Very good points, the O-Line is struggling right now and need to get better help out our weaknesses with the TE's. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Does anyone notice when the Pats playcalling and execution is sound, no one says a word about the O Line?

Then, when they ignore the run a la SB 42, the O Line doesn't look so good.

It's not a coincidnce the O LIne looks good when they commit to the run and use playaction, and only using the spread in limited opps.

When they go straight spread in 4 or 5 sets, it's a complete crap shoot, and a borderline guaranteed failure against good pass Ds.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

The o-line was horrible. no way around it.  I am a huge critic of bill obrien, but this line was pathetic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trident13. Show trident13's posts

In Response to Re: Worried about the OL??? I am!:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone notice when the Pats playcalling and execution is sound, no one says a word about the O Line? Then, when they ignore the run a la SB 42, the O Line doesn't look so good. It's not a coincidnce the O LIne looks good when they commit to the run and use playaction, and only using the spread in limited opps. When they go straight spread in 4 or 5 sets, it's a complete crap shoot, and a borderline guaranteed failure against good pass Ds.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

BBR, I agree with you to an extent, but there is something to be said when you are ranked 18th and 20th in the league in running and passing respectively.  What stats don't show is how many times a quarterback has been hurried.  Tom Brady was sacked only 18 times last year I think, and has been sacked already 12 times and we're not even halfway home. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

It wasn't their best game, but playcalling is clearly something that predicates how an offense can look.

NE ran the ball only 15 total times in SB 42 WITH A LEAD.

The O Line looked bad.  Gee, I wonder why!

Mike Martz had about 13 carries WITH A lead with Forte And Taylor in the backfield.

Cutler threw 4 INTs.   Run the ball!

NE's gameplanning and gamecalling on offense is too over-thought.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worried about the OL??? I am! : BBR, I agree with you to an extent, but there is something to be said when you are ranked 18th and 20th in the league in running and passing respectively.  What stats don't show is how many times a quarterback has been hurried.  Tom Brady was sacked only 18 times last year I think, and has been sacked already 12 times and we're not even halfway home. 
    Posted by trident13[/QUOTE]

Agree.

How can they loook good one week against Balt and bad against SD the next?

Look at the playcalling!

I don't even care if they go 3 and out with runs in the 1st qtr.  If the opp's D doesn't think you are serious about running it, they won't respect.

O'Brien cannot wait to use the spread in games.  Pathetic.  9 yard run on 1st down and a 3 and out.

How is that even possible?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trident13. Show trident13's posts

Play calling is horrible right now, I can't agree with you anymore on that.  I have nothing to explain that..lol...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from l52094. Show l52094's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone notice when the Pats playcalling and execution is sound, no one says a word about the O Line? Then, when they ignore the run a la SB 42, the O Line doesn't look so good. It's not a coincidnce the O LIne looks good when they commit to the run and use playaction, and only using the spread in limited opps. When they go straight spread in 4 or 5 sets, it's a complete crap shoot, and a borderline guaranteed failure against good pass Ds.

According to Mike Reiss, the Pats didn't use many spread sets it seems.  They were in a 2 TE 2 WR 1 RB for the majority of the game.  Doesn't look like much of the spread was used.  Oline needs to play better regardless.  It all starts there IMO.

2 WR/2 TE/1 RB -- 45 of 61 
    3 WR/1 TE/1 RB -- 9 of 61 
    3 TE/1 FB/1 RB -- 3 of 61 
    1 WR/3 TE/1 RB -- 2 of 61 
    2 WR/1 TE/1 FB/1 RB -- 1 of 61 
    1 WR/2 TE/1 FB/1 RB -- 1 of 61 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

All it takes is one guy to make the OL look bad and that was Light.  It's been a while since I've seen him fall apart like this.

The biggest culprit is Brady not under center more.  It ain't no secret when you're in a shotgun.  I hate the shotgun.  So if somebody is overmatched or having a bad game the Pats go to the shotgun where that individual can be further exploited.  I don't understand it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worried about the OL??? I am! : According to Mike Reiss, the Pats didn't use many spread sets it seems.  They were in a 2 TE 2 WR 1 RB for the majority of the game.  Doesn't look like much of the spread was used.  Oline needs to play better regardless.  It all starts there IMO. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4685909/offensive-identity-tied-to-tight-ends  -- 2 WR/2 TE/1 RB   -- 45 of 61   3 WR/1 TE/1 RB   -- 9 of 61   3 TE/1 FB/1 RB   -- 3 of 61   1 WR/3 TE/1 RB   -- 2 of 61   2 WR/1 TE/1 FB/1 RB   -- 1 of 61   1 WR/2 TE/1 FB/1 RB   -- 1 of 61  
    Posted by l52094[/QUOTE]

Appreciate the data, but when you watch  these games it's WHEN the plays are called that matter.

The 9 yards on a run with two passses for a 3 and out is a perfect example.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Good points, next year's draft so far doesn't look like a very heavy draft with top quality left tackle types.  Pats might have to jump on a tackle with the Oakland pick if they deside that's a priority. OBrian IS setting up Tom for failure, you can't tell me a few screens would had slowed down that pass rush.  I'm not sure what goes through his head but I'm also seeing people saying Tom is not the same player.  On a few plays I counted and 2 seconds was how quick tom had to throw the ball before a LB was on him. I hope they put Alge or Gronk on that side to help Light or the next few weeks will be a problem.  I think teams specially teams with the horses (speed rushers) will take that blue print and give the Pats OL all they can handle. I would try Voll on the Left side next week and see who can you put on the right. 
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

I was waiting all game for some screen passes. They threw that one wide out screen to Woodhead and for Some reason Brady took an extra "One Mississippi" to throw the ball. I don't know what happened to the screens and the draws yesterday against that aggressive defense but I think both would have helped.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worried about the OL??? I am! : ...How can they loook good one week against Balt and bad against SD the next? ...

This one is easy, SD is better than Baltimore.  Baltimore's defense is overrated
    based on past accomplishments. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Whatever happened to running at the pass rush?  As if this barnes character would have been effective after an every down sell out on a pass rush?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

Two points.  One, Light should have been moved elsewhere on the line (if not cut all together) two seasons ago.  I've been saying that since the Superbowl loss.  Two, the reason the line looked bad is because teams are going to play more guys up in the box now (no Moss).  We have no deep threat to speak of.  If the safeties and linebackers are free to play up or blitz, this line as currently constructed can't handle the pressure.  As some have already posted, the o-line HAS to be addressed in the upcoming draft.  We simply don't have a guy that we can run behind to pick up a sure yard or two.  That was evident again yesterday.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]  If the opp's D doesn't think you are serious about running it, they won't respect. O'Brien cannot wait to use the spread in games.  Pathetic.  Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I agree the lack of commitment to the run is part of the problem.  But we also lack talent on the line.  Our guys are well coached and they generally play smart, which helps them look good in a lot of games, but against quick-footed pass rushers they fall apart because they just don't have the physical talent to keep up.  Light was awful yesterday and probably would have ended up being benched along with Connolly had there been anyone to replace him.