Worst Moments in Patriots' History

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Worst Moments in Patriots' History

I saw on the ProFootball Talk web cite where they had an article on the worst moments in Colts' history. Apparently, out of boredom no doubt spurred by the NFL labor mess, the PFT people were asking this question of every team...but had yet to get to the Patriots.

Here are my choices for worst moments in Patriots' history: 

1.) 2008: 17-14 SB XLII loss to the N.Y. Giants:

There have been more lopsided defeats, and more embarrassing losses. But nothing knocked the wind out of New England, and Patriots' fans everywhere, like this loss. It prevented the 2007 Patriots from being hailed as the greatest team of all-time, prevented a perfect season, and prevented the Patriots from challenging the Steelers as the greatest dynasty in NFL history. Just a devastating defeat, that only long time Red Sox fans can truly understand;

2.) 1986: 46-10 SB XX loss to the Chicago Bears:

Raymond Berry's 1985 squad had adapted and overcame all season long. They beat both the Jets and Dolphins on the road to earn their spot in the Big Game. Unfortunately, they ran into one of the best teams of all-time, in the 1985 Chicago Bears. The humiliation was complete when William "The Refrigerator" Perry blasted his way into the end-zone for a frosting on the cake score. It was like watching a troop of boy-scouts take on the Huns;

3.) 2007: 38-34 AFC Championship Game loss to the Indianapolis Colts:

The Patriots led, 21-3, just before the half...when the referees took over the game. First, there was a ticky-tack, rarely called offensive PI call made against Troy Brown, which basically cost the Pats a TD. Then, in the second half, the Patriots' "D" wilted in the stifling heat of the RCA Dome, under the lazar-like throws of the hated Peyton Manning, and under the scrutiny of a biased officiating crew...whose phantom PI call against Ellis Hobbs for face-guarding (not a penalty), gave the Colts their margin of victory...and an ultimate SB championship against a very mediocre Bears team;

4.) 1976: 24-21 loss to the Oakland Raiders in the AFC Title Game: 

The Patriots were robbed of a trip to the SB, and a World Championship, by referee Ben Dreith. Leading 21-17, with just over a minute to play, the Raiders were forced to go for a 4th and 8, from around the Patriots' 25 yard line. Raiders' QB Kenny Stabler went back to pass...was pressured by Ray "Sugar Bear" Hamilton, and threw an incompletion, as Hamilton knocked him to the ground. This game was over!! Enter the villain, referee Ben Dreith. Seemingly several seconds after the play had concluding, Dreith chucked his infamous, and very late flag...citing Hamilton for roughing the passer. In those days, to get called for roughing, a defender had to body-slam and put the boots to a QB. But, unfortunately, Dreith was "ahead of his times" (trying to be nice about this...but it still steams me to this day!!!). The call handed the Raiders the game...and a trip to the SB;

5.) 2008: Tom Brady's Knee:

The Pats were starting up the 2008 season, after a devastating SB loss to the NY Giants...and after going through media hell with "spygate". Midway in the first quarter, Kansas City safety, Bernard Pollard, dove at Tom Brady's left knee, tearing it shreds, and finishing the Terrific One for the season. What a triple whammy...spygate, the SB loss, and now...this. A dark day indeed in Foxboro.

6.) 2007: Spygate: 

What a mess after the NY media transformed a minor rule violation into the NFL's answer to Watergate. Fueled by such "heroes" as NFL Commissioner Roger "Jets" Goodell, ESPN, the NY media, Boston Herald Patriots' beat writer John Tomase, former U.S. Senator Arlen Specter, and a former Patriots' camera-man, and disgruntled ex-employee, John Walsh...they conspired to force BB's resignation, and tarnish the pristine reputation of the league's top franchise. The result was months of torment for BB and Patriots' fans...a king-sized media distraction on the eve of the biggest game in Patriots history...leading to a Patriots' team clearly off kilter in the SB, and playing by far their worst game of the season. What made the loss even more painful was the knowledge that the media had set out to derail the Pats...and, in the end, that they had succeeded;

7.) 1964: 51-10 loss to the San Diego Chargers in the AFL Title Game:

Ol' Babe Parilli remembers this well...as Chargers' RBs Keith Lincoln and Paul Lowe slashed and gashed the Patriots, as Lincoln himself acounts for 349 of total offense!!:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-uHdFoCnKw">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-uHdFoCnKw

8.) 1997: 35-21 loss to Green Bay in SB XXXI: 

The Patriots let two of the most obnoxious players in the game, WR Andre Rison and KR Desmond Howard, crush their SB hopes. The game was shrouded in controversy, as then Patriots' coach and GM, Bill Parcells, had been negotiating his leave to join the not so hated, at that time, Jets. Tough loss to take because of what could have been. But, the Patriots certainly didn't embarrass themselves in defeat;   

9.) 1996: 34-8 loss to the Denver Broncos in Divisional Play-offs:

The Broncos routed the Patriots 34–8 at Foxboro Stadium. This was the game where Shannon Sharpe infamously ranted on a sideline phone: "Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!"[27];

10.) 1964: 24-14 loss to Buffalo Bills in AFL "Play-in" Game: http://www.angelfire.com/nv/billsthunder/1964BILLS.html 

In a game to decide the AFL's Eastern Conference representative in the AFL Title Game, the Buffalo Bills met the Patriots, in Boston. The game was played in a snow-storm, and the Jack Kemp led Bills (yes...Jack Kemp the former Republican politician) pretty much dominated throughout. The Bills would go on to defeat the Chargers in Buffalo, 20-7, to win the AFL Title. That's the same Chargers' team that had crushed the Patriots, 51-10, for the AFL title, just a year earlier;

11.) 2011: 28-21 loss to the N.Y. Jets in AFL Divisional Playoff:

A truly embarrassing, horrible loss to an arch rival. Just a few weeks earlier, the Patriots had embarrassed the Jets, 45-3. The Patriots had finished 14-2, the NFL's best record. The Pats had home field advantage throughout the play-offs...and seemingly had their tickets punched for another trip to the SB. But, shoddy execution, a rare, horrid interception thrown by MVP Tom Brady, and all too familiar breakdowns in their pass defense led to the Jets' upset win;

12.) 2010: 33-14 loss to the Ravens, in AFC Divisional Play-offs:

The Patriots were completely manhandled by the Ravens...who took out a decades' worth of frustration that day, on our boys in blue. The Ravens left the Pats black and blue. Despite rookie QB Joe Flacco completing just 4 passes in 10 attempts, Ravens RB Ray Rice rushed for 159 yards...including an 83 yard jaunt, in which he ran, untouched, to the end-zone, on the games' opening play from scrimmage! It was indeed a very, very long afternoon for Pats' fans.

Here are my "dirty dozen". Do you agree? Did I miss a couple? Or, did I place them in the wrong order? 

Your thoughts are welcome.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Re: Worst Moments in Patriots' History

I agree alot that those are some worse moments but I'd change the order a little ....based on your order I'd change them as follows
    1 2008 SB VS Giants
    2 1976 VS Raiders
    3 Stingley getting Paralized
    4 2007 loss to Colts
    5 1997 SB VS Green Bay
    6 2007 Spygate
    7 2011 loss to Jets
    8 1986 SB VS Bears
    9 1996 loss to Denver
    10 2010 loss to Ravens

I'm sure there are many more, especially if you want to get into losing seasons (15-1)& trades...Mike Hanes/Leon Gray.....oh, the list could be VERY long!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Worst Moments in Patriots' History:
    I agree alot that those are some worse moments but I'd change the order a little ....based on your order I'd change them as follows 1 2008 SB VS Giants 2 1976 VS Raiders 3 Stingley getting Paralized 4 2007 loss to Colts 5 1997 SB VS Green Bay 6 2007 Spygate 7 2011 loss to Jets 8 1986 SB VS Bears 9 1996 loss to Denver 10 2010 loss to Ravens I'm sure there are many more, especially if you want to get into losing seasons (15-1)& trades...Mike Hanes/Leon Gray.....oh, the list could be VERY long!!!
    Posted by dmcpatsfan

Right you are about that awful Darryl Stingley injury. I had forgotten that one...but now that you brought it up, I remember it well. It was a pre-season game against the Raiders. Stingley went over the middle...the throw from the QB was high and wide...and Jack Taum took full advantage of the helpless, stretched out Stingley. I can still hear the awful POP from the helmet led hit...can visualize Stingley's neck being snapped back, as if he went through whip-lash in a car wreck. 

Darryl Stingley      

It was all so unnecessary. The cheapest of a cheap shot. Tatum had gotten a running start, and wiped the defenseless Stingley out. The Assassin, they called him. The Assashole, we called him. Here's some quotes on the hit: 

"Steve Grogan, the Patriots quarterback who threw that pass to Stingley, went on TV yesterday and said he believed it was -- he said players had an unwritten code to go easy on each other in pre-season games, and that Tatum took joy in violating that code. He said he'd have a hard time shaking Tatum's hand. Paul Zimmerman of SI.com writes that he was watching the game live, and he calls it an "awful, vicious hit, but not uncommon in those days."

"I wouldn't go so far as to call Tatum's hit a cheap shot. It was rougher than it needed to be, but within the rules. My objection is the way Tatum reacted -- he never showed the slightest concern for Stingley, and he wrote a book, They Call Me Assassin, in which he bragged about injuring opponents. That callous indifference to another human being always struck me as disgusting."

This, from an article entitled, "Rising Star Paralyzed by Hit"   

Oakland Raiders free safety Jack Tatum levels New EnglandPatriots wide receiver Darryl Stingley with a helmet-to-helmet hit in a pre-season game, leaving Stingley paralyzed for life. Despite the sport's hard hits and reputation for roughness, this was the first and only time a player was permanently paralyzed as a result of an injury sustained in a National Football League game.

Stingley, a wide receiver out of Purdue, was chosen by the Patriots in the first round of the 1973 draft. He showed rapid improvement in his first few NFL seasons and was thought to be one of the league's rising stars. In 1977, he had enjoyed the best year of his career, racking up 39 catches for 657 yards and five touchdowns. Tatum, known as a hard-hitting defensive back, had starred at Ohio State and was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the first round of the 1971 draft. Nicknamed "the assassin" at Ohio State for his vicious hits, Tatum had knocked BaltimoreColts star tight end John Mackey unconscious in his NFL debut. In Super Bowl XI, Tatum hit Minnesota Viking Sammy Knight so hard that Knight's helmet flew off—the move is often referred to as one of the hardest hits in Super bowl history.

The hit that Tatum would be best remembered for in his 10-year, three-time Pro Bowl career, though, came on August 12, 1978, during a pre-season game at the Oakland Coliseum. Stingley ran a shallow post pattern down the right hash mark toward the middle of the field to collect a pass from Patriot quarterback Steve Grogan. Tatum met him at full speed, hitting Stingley with his helmet and forearm and sending him to the ground with alarming force. The hit did not violate any NFL rules and no flag was thrown on the play, but Stingley's neck was broken between the fourth and fifth vertebrae, rendering the 26-year-old a quadriplegic, paralyzed from the chest down. The tragic injury sent a shockwave through the NFL and its massive audience of fans. 

Raiders head coach John Madden visited Stingley in the hospital every day after the injury, made him an honorary member of his team and instructed the Raiders to treat him as such. When Tatum went to see Stingley in the hospital, however, Stingley's family would not allow him into the room. They weren't alone in being angry with Tatum for what seemed like a lack of remorse about the hit. Tatum explained his position this way: "...you can't get emotional about it. You don't like to see any player get hurt, but football is a contact sport and that's a real dangerous pattern. We don't even run it in practice. But I had to do what I had to do. It was my job, and he was doing his job."

In the aftermath of Stingley's injury, the NFL was criticized for its violent nature. Partially in response to this event, the NFL worked to revise its rules to protect receivers on the field with tighter refereeing and stricter play calling. In addition, helmet-to-helmet hits were eventually ruled illegal anywhere on the field. Friends of Stingley also worked to secure better benefits for disabled NFL players.

Darryl Stingley died on April 5, 2007, as a result of complications from his injury. Stingley and Tatum never reconciled. 

*Tatum passed away on July 27, 2010. He could never understand why he was treated as such a villain, post-Stingley. Friends of his say that he was never the same after the hit...that he became almost a recluse. Yet, thereafter he contributed to three books, which glorified his vicious on the field reputation.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Gee, I always thought the the 1 - 15 season in 1990 was the lowest point of all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

90% of the entire Sullivan Era wasn't very kind or nice to the Pats. Except for some klunkers under Kiam, who gave the Pats fans a very close shave, notice how well they have done with a REAL/LEGITIMATE owner, who allows REAL football people to handle the football matters?

That whole Sullivan Era can be summed up with this statement: Just wait long enough and they'll shoot themselves in the foot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

#1 - Spygate: This is what the franchise will forever be known. It will haunt Pats fans for decades much like the black sox
    #2 - Stingley: Anytime a player is paralysed is considered a worst moment but given that Stingley was fast becoming a hall of fame WR his lose set the team back for years
    #3 - 07' SB lose: After spygate a perfect run would have shut up a whole nation of trolls. However, being claimed as the best team ever and then choking in the last 5 mins of perfection just gave the trolls more ammo
    #4 - The whole Sullivan Era: seriously do I need to say more
    #5 - 08' the knee: The Pats had an easy schedule setup for another run at perfection. After Brady went down BB went into rebuild mode for the last couple of years. Long term the team is going to be better off but Brady going down effectively knocked us out for a couple of years

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking-11. Show Harleyroadking-11's posts

any loss to those fleabags from Jersey

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

#1 - Spygate: This is what the franchise will forever be known. It will haunt Pats fans for decades much like the black sox

RESPONSE: Oh come on now! Patriots fans aren't "haunted" by this...nor should they be. People with brains understand what "spygate" was really all about...a media manufactured controversy over taping games in the wrong area...and a witch hunt to destroy BB. Attempts to try to show that it was something much more sinister have failed...as no credible evidence has ever come forth, and the Patriots have kept right on winning. Current and former coaches have stated that doing what the Patriots did had been common practice. Only jealous, idiotic trolls continue to harp on this. Comparing it to the Black Sox scandal, in which Chicago White  Sox players took money to throw the 1919 World Series, is laughable.   

#2 - Stingley: Anytime a player is paralysed is considered a worst moment but given that Stingley was fast becoming a hall of fame WR his lose set the team back for years

RESPONSE: What happened to Stingley was certainly tragic. But to say that he would have been a Hall of Famer is a major stretch...as is the statement that his loss "set the (Patriots) back for years". The loss of a WR, any WR, doesn't set a team back for years. Now...saying that the Sullivans set the Patriots back for years, is much more accurate.

u#3 - 07' SB lose: After spygate a perfect run would have shut up a whole nation of trolls. However, being claimed as the best team ever and then choking in the last 5 mins of perfection just gave the trolls more ammo

RESPONSE: Why the preoccupation over what trolls think? They're idiots. Who cares what they think.

#4 - The whole Sullivan Era: seriously do I need to say more

RESPONSE: No...LOL!!  

#5 - 08' the knee: The Pats had an easy schedule setup for another run at perfection. After Brady went down BB went into rebuild mode for the last couple of years. Long term the team is going to be better off but Brady going down effectively knocked us out for a couple of years

RESPONSE: Tom Brady has never been the same, confident guy in the play-offs since that horrid SB loss. I really believe that he thought that he could walk on water...and played as if he could...until that crushing defeat. Since that loss, Tommy has played poorly, and been one and done in two ugly playoff losses, both in Foxboro.  
    Posted by PatsEng

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Imo, ya gotta go with the loss to The Giants in the SB and the loss to GB ('07-'08) in the SB a decade earlier ('97)...  Hear me, here's why:

In the Giants SB loss, It never seems to hurt so bad as when you're AT the top, when you're at the very pinnacle of success & glory.  It svx too...Because when you're on the highest of heights, when you're at the highest peak of the mountain, and when you've achieved it all & done it all...the only place to go is down.  And yet, you never see it comin'.  You've been on the pedastal soo long, that you come to accept it's where you'll always be, It's your birthright.  No matter HOW humble you try, doesn't matter...YOU know in your heart that YOU are the best.  You believe you're untouchable, unbreakable, infallable...but you aren't.  The ego gets crushed.  And it ALWAYS happens to the top dog everywhere, who had such a long reign.  It's a blessing and a tragedy all at once.

Similiar vein for the SB loss to The Pack...  Wasn't imo anywhere NEAR the Bears loss.  The SB loss to the Pack came from a team, and a group, Who was RIGHT there.  After decades (DECADES!) of being inconsequential, and when they WERE seemingly "consequential", you KNEW (I knew...we all knew), that The Pats just weren't quite ready for it...they didn't belong at the top.  Even when they fielded excellent teams in '86 and '76...they just...weren't idk-destined for greatness (i.e. I guess liken it to "being born 'great' and having 'greatness' thrust upon you," being the same thing here in NFL terms at least...In either case, you're not ready, you're not TOTALLY deserving of that 'greatness', you haven't FULLY "achieved greatness" for it to belong as a certain matter-of-fact).  Anyway, come 1997, We NE Fans and even The Team, had BEEN through these "thrust upon" greatnesses...these fluke but special times.  But now, we had a new birth, a new team, a young team, a new owner (non Sullivans)...  It was FINALLY our time.  And we were more "deserving" than ever.  NE had paid their dues, and we were ready.  It hurts like he!!, when ya think you're ready, KNOW that it's YOUR time...and then come to realize onn that last final step, that...it ain't yet.  You'll have to wait a little bit longer.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

#1 - Spygate: This is what the franchise will forever be known. It will haunt Pats fans for decades much like the black sox #2 - Stingley: Anytime a player is paralysed is considered a worst moment but given that Stingley was fast becoming a hall of fame WR his lose set the team back for years #3 - 07' SB lose: After spygate a perfect run would have shut up a whole nation of trolls. However, being claimed as the best team ever and then choking in the last 5 mins of perfection just gave the trolls more ammo #4 - The whole Sullivan Era: seriously do I need to say more #5 - 08' the knee: The Pats had an easy schedule setup for another run at perfection. After Brady went down BB went into rebuild mode for the last couple of years. Long term the team is going to be better off but Brady going down effectively knocked us out for a couple of years
    Posted by PatsEng

Not to belabor the "spygate" thing, but not too long ago, SI's Peter King addressed the matter, pointing out how the stats show that the alleged misdeeds by BB were blown far out of proportion. Here's my post from months ago, which contains the germaine parts of the King article, along with my comments interlaced therein: 
         This from SI's Peter King, with my comments interjected therein:

"All of a sudden, in a competitive sense, Spygate doesn't seem so important. 
    In the past week, the Patriots have beaten two of the best teams in the league by a combined 81-10. As it was in 2007, when New England was laying waste to the league while going 16-0 in the regular season, there's a gap between New England and the rest of the league that, in today's football, is rare. I thought the beatdown of the Bears at Soldier Field Sunday was significant because, as Brian Urlacher said, "They came in here, our field, our weather, and pounded us.''

Three years ago, when the Patriots exterminated the rest of the league, they did so under the shadow of Spygate, when they were sanctioned by commissioner Roger Goodell after the first game of the season for secretly videotaping teams' defensive signals to try to gain an advantage.

RESPONSE: BS. The Pats did this openly, by merely taping signals from a disallowed sideline spot. According to football people such as Bill Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, and Mike Ditka, this was a common practice, engaged in by all teams...including the sainted NY Jets.

I figure now is a good time to look back at history and judge just how much an advantage the Patriots got from Spygate, because now we have the perspective given us by recent history.

Since the commissioner whacked the Patriots and coach Bill Belichick in September 2007 for the longterm practice of taping the opposition's sidelines, New England has played almost half the number of games (64) as it played coached by Belichick before the sanctions came down (126). So the sample size is good to determine what sort of edge Belichick and his team got from knowing what the opposing signals might have meant. And the answer I found is: not much, apparently.

Before I go on, understand I'm not attempting to minimize what the Patriots did wrong. Roger Goodell was right to take away a first-round pick and whack the Pats $750,000 for the misdeed.

RESPONSE: BS...Goodell responded to media pressure. The NY media was desperate to do what the Jets couldn't do...slow down the Patriots. What Denver was caught doing recently (taping another teams' practice session) was far worse. Yet all Goodell did was fine the Broncos and coach Josh McDaniels $50,000 each. Why weren't the Broncos smeared, and penalized a #1 draft choice, too? 

But check out the pre- and post-Spygate numbers, including playoff games, for the Patriots under Belichick, and you'll see why the video practices seem so wasteful:

GW-LPct.Points per game
    Pre-Sanction12687-39.69023.4
    Since Sanction6449-15.76629.4

Pretty interesting. New England's gone from winning two-thirds of its games with the benefit of taping illegally, to winning three-quarters of its games and scoring six points more per game without taping -- and with so many new pieces on offense.

RESPONSE: Shouldn't that convince any objective, fair minded person that Spygate was a manufactured scandal...and that football  people like Parcells, Johnson, and Ditka were right about it being a bunch of nonsense?

I was reminded of this last Monday, when the Patriots were mercilessly pounding the Jets 45-3, and just thought how interesting it is that the Patriots are the highest-scoring team in football -- by a whopping 41 points -- in a year in which they've totally changed their offensive philosophy to more of a tight-end-centric one with two rookie tight ends as the keystones. (Just when teams start focusing defensively on the tight ends, the Patriots unleash the wideouts. In Chicago yesterday, Deion Branch and Wes Welker combined for 16 catches and 266 yards.) It all just proves to me that Belichick used to be and still is the smartest guy in the room ... and how unimportant to everything on the field the videotaping seems to have been.

RESPONSE: Again, what does this suggest, King? 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/12/13/week-14-mmqb/index.html#ixzz180gxMv00

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

TP - I say spygate because it is the trolls and other fans without knowledge that will haunt us. Any Pats fan would let it go after the lost pick but even today in bars I still hear fans of other teams mention it. Regardless of trolls on the board or irl it still stings everytime someone brings it up. Like a bunch of pins being stuck into your side and there really is no defending it since they don't take any explaination. In that regard it the same as the black sox where for decades they White Sox had to listen to how it tainted the game until the White Sox became so pathetic people actually felt bad for them. Even then when they won the WS some reporters still brought it up. It's a black mark that will forever follow them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

2006 AFC Championship game / 2007 SB...I still can't watch any of those lowlights..I always change the channel

60maxpowero.com

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

For me, the day Parcells bailed on the Pats will forever go down in my book as the worst day in Pats history. 

Seeing him wear green, was like seeing your ex-girlfriend that your still in love with naked with another dude! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

the patriots never lost to the broncos in an 1996 playoff game. the game you are refering to took place in the regular leason.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

1. pats lose to giants in SB
    2. chuck fairbanks resigns
    3. pats lose to jets last year
    4. holloway traded to raiders
    5. seamour traded to raiders
    6. milloy traded to bills
    7. lose curtis martin
    8. Tuna leaves for jets
    9. mcginest not re-signed
    10. not starting flutie

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

one more...bruce armstrong not in the hall of fame

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

the patriots never lost to the broncos in an 1996 playoff game. the game you are refering to took place in the regular leason.
    Posted by cellucci

I know the pats lost to Broncos AT Denver in the playoffs, in 2006 (circa) I believe...is tp refering to THIS (didn't read it fully).  The one where Champ Bailey was flaunting and high-stepping after a turnover and running down the sidelines and Ben Watson came and knocked him on his #ss at the 1 yard line (with the ball going OUT of the endzone on each & every replay, even though they gave it Denver at the 1 yard line rather than a givin' 'em a Safety...that was brutal, but NE played a pretty poor game regardless, so it wasn't like it was an imaginary Peyton Interference call vs Manning with an otherwise unexistant rule (faceguarding))?  

~of note: I was tryin' to find a replay of this particular game some time back, Because in one single Defensive Play by NE, Belichick orchestrated a play that I had NEVER, ever seen done before...  It was trully unreal, although I think(?) it didn't result in the pick-off INT BB had planed for it too.  Needless to say, you could TELL that BB had simply studied SO much of Denver's filmwork, and what plays were so successful for them throughout the course of Denver's season that year... IN 1 SINGLE play, BB tried to set Denver up SO bad, that his genius as a defensive freak coordinator...it was UN-real.  Anyway, Denver's Offense gets into their alignment, and from what they were showing in this 1 single formation, Belichick KNEW precisely where they were going & what they were counting on doing, b/c apparently it was 1 of their bread and butter plays, 1 which Denver's O had counted on that year (and obviously relied far too heavy on, in terms of it working ALWAYS). 

From what I can barely recall, THIS is how it went down:
         Denver's showing a power formation.  Denver's QB under center, with only 1 wideout (I think?), the wideout being on the same strong side of the field as Denver's Tight End, Shannon Sharpe (again, I think?).  Regardless, Bronco's QB dropped back faked a hand-off...  <Oooh!, Play-action pass, right?  OMG!, where's it going? />
    The Bronc QB then stands back, sets, and does a great 100% <I'm going HERE, and only here with my eyes and body language /> pump fake, to Shannon Sharpe, 1 of Denver's excellent TE's who's now releasing RIGHT off the line of scrimmage on a quick slant pattern...  <and Why WOULDN'T Denver be goin' here?  Speedy TE on an NE LB mismatch, with NE's bigger Defensive alignment on the field of play...The TE might nab that ball, and with all the defender's jumping the gun on an apparent running play, that TE might make the quick grab on a small slant, and break it for a big gain, right?>

WRONG...  Formerly (or throughout the course of the season a few key times), THIS was what Denver's O WANTED you to believe...  The ball wasn't GOING to the run...AND it wasn't going to their all-pro TE.  It was goin' to that lone wideout on the TE's side.  While The Defense (hopefully) is thinking of, then reacting to a run, THEN goin' "OH Sh#T=PASS!", and then seeing the TE do a straight slant directly over the low middle of the field...EVERY defender's now OVER-reacting in order to get back in place when the ball got to the TE...  Even Denver's wideout is playin' possum here.  While Denver's TE is slantin' completely away from that lone wideout side, towards the other side...Denver's 1 wideout is standing there, doin' some mock fake-#ss block, to keep the CB from pursuing EITHER the play-action run which didn't happen first, THEN from that DB pursuing the TE (who's DEFINATELY taking that quick slant and breakin' it for decent YAC)

So Denver's wideout is just standin' there, fake blokin'.  But in reality...  The pass is intended straight for him (the WR).  That wr will now hopefully be all alone, or with a CB trying to pursue first the run, then the slant pass to the TE, the other way, and comin' just a bit off the WR's spot right near the LOS.  THAT WR NOW, has AT worst, an open isolation on that CB, who's a few steps goin' the opposite direction (toward the run, and then toward the TE fake slant)... ALL that wideout's gotta do...?  Shoot...beat the Safety 15-20 yards down the field...and maybe even that Safety took the bait of a running play and a TE slant, and so chances are that Safety has gone diagnolly running up towards the LOS, in the direction of the opposite side and across the field of play.

I KNOW this is a mile posting...but bear with me.

Guess what BB planned...?  Yup...that NE CB covering the wideout did his job PERFECTLY...he did EXACTLY what Denver wanted AND expected him TO do.  That CB covering the WR fought of the wideouts weak fake block, He did a quick jump on the fake hand-off <"no hand-off, O.k."  "YIKES! TE pass slant" /> And so he headed straight in the direction of the slanting TE following his pattern the other way...  Wide open pass to the now open WR, right?

Wrong...  Belichick had either an LB who was otherwise dropping back, and way outta the picture, OR (I think it was this), His Safety blazing up full-speed straight towards "no-man's land" <i.e. that WR who's seemingly nowhere near the direction the play's headed, and not even IN the play />.  With that NE CB long gone, the pass sailed directly to the completely open Denver WR...and NE's Safety got their JUST in time...  And *cough, well- He dropped the sure-fire INT for a TD.  But lmao, that's NOT the point... Even though, the NE DB simply broke up Denver's sure-fire specific play, It was like Bill Belichick was sayin':

"Sorry...I'm THAT good.  I planned for that 1 single play...  So ya might wanna start second guessing, precisely HOW deep I study for this sh#t.  WatchTH out."       

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

TP - I say spygate because it is the trolls and other fans without knowledge that will haunt us. Any Pats fan would let it go after the lost pick but even today in bars I still hear fans of other teams mention it. Regardless of trolls on the board or irl it still stings everytime someone brings it up. Like a bunch of pins being stuck into your side and there really is no defending it since they don't take any explaination. In that regard it the same as the black sox where for decades they White Sox had to listen to how it tainted the game until the White Sox became so pathetic people actually felt bad for them. Even then when they won the WS some reporters still brought it up. It's a black mark that will forever follow them.
    Posted by PatsEng

Don't forget the media...far too many of them continue to bring it up and use as "evidence" the fact that the Pats (largely due to an aging, and then rebuilding defense, and some bad luck as well) "haven't won a Super Bowl since their cameras were taken away" to "prove" that the videotaping was why they won their three SBs.

Even Bob Ryan--usually a level-headed one among the rest of the crew of Boston-based mediots--penned a column at the start of last season arguing that BB has to win another Super Bowl before he retires because his first three are "tainted."

The idiot trolls who root for other teams, and idiot players of the teams the Pats vanquished (like M. Faulk, J. Harrison and J. Porter) can say all they want, really, because they are jealous idiots. Pay no mind to them.

When allegedly non-biased media members (forgive me while I hold my sides from laughing so hard after typing that line)  -- some of them, anyway -- continue to harp on it, however, then you know it will never go away, unless the Pats win 1 or 2 more SBs (probably 2, because 1 can always be explained away as a "fluke").

It doesn't matter how many Dick Vermeils and Jimmy Johnsons come out and publicly state that they did it themselves (Johnson) or saw much worse things done when they were coaching (Vermeil); that's still not going to satisfy the trolls, the jealous players and the mediots who turned the pigskin equivalent of jaywalking into Watergate, the Black Sox scandal and Teapot Dome all wrapped into one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

Good lists!   Really spot on.

I would drop Spygate because it led to an undefeated regular season (and how bad can that be?). 

The only addition I would make is 4th and 2 in 2009. 

Also, the Matt Cassel 2008 losses to the Colts and Jets during an 11-5 season with no playoff birth deserve honorable mention.

It doesn't deserve to be in the top 10 or even the top 20 but one regular season loss that really sticks in my mind is a game against Denver in Foxboro in the late 1980's.  Dick MacPherson was coach.  Patriots lead the whole game and control the whole game.  Elway gets a late TD to put the Bronco's up by 3.  Tommy Hodson rallys the team to a first and goal.  On third down from the three, no TOs left, Hodson scrambles left, looks for a receiver, tries to run it in and is tackled at the two.  Last 10 seconds run off the clock before a FG attempt for OT.   We just sat in our seats for 10 minutes in stunned disbelief.     Ahhh, the dark days!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

good call on the denver game. the qb however was hue millen circa 1989 or 90

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

reminds me of another loss but to the giants in 1990. pats kicker missed chip shot to win at the buzzer

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

1. Super Bowl 42. I think I need say no more.

2. 2006 AFCCG in Indy. Thinking Miami at halftime then the collapse. I remember thinking "where's Willie to stop Addai?" The only way that season could have ended worse would be losing the AFC title game to the Jests instead of Indy.

3. Tom's injury in 2008. Though he's fine now, at that moment I'm sure everyone stopped and imagined the worst...career over. Still, IMO, a dark day indeed.

4. This January's loss to the Jests. While most people blamed the secondary, Sanchez had twice the time to throw as Brady. He couldn't help but make some plays. The offense got on a roll at the end, but too little too late. Let's hope this improves this season.

5. Seeing the hated horseface lift the Lombardi (I didn't watch it live, but of course it's all over TV). Knowing it could have been Brady up there if they could have made one more play in Indy! Wasn't as bad as a year later, but still a low day for me.

That's my list, and it's only for this current "core" of a team. If we want to talk ancient history, I remember when the Patriots were a laughing stock. But I don't like to think about the Sullivan years. "Spygate" I won't even give creedence to. Let them hate...they already did before this media circus! Parcells leaving after (though in his mind I think he left before) SB 31 was low, too. But it set the stage for Kraft to get BB in town. The Bears game in 86 was bad, but you knew they were going to beat any team from the AFC. What would jump to the top of the list, though, is if they have a last minute "breakdown in the talks...and wind up cancelling the season!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

TP - I say spygate because it is the trolls and other fans without knowledge that will haunt us.

RESPONSE: Why should they "haunt us"? They're idiots. Laugh at them!

Any Pats fan would let it go after the lost pick but even today in bars I still hear fans of other teams mention it.

RESPONSE: Of course. They have nothing else.

Regardless of trolls on the board or irl it still stings everytime someone brings it up.

RESPONSE: Do you believe that spygate was a bunch of BS?  If so, why let it bother you? Trolls like The Dog(gggg) who  bring it up do so just to get a rise out of you. But, everyone here knows by now that he has zero credibility, and cannot be taken seriously. So...why let it bother you?   

Like a bunch of pins being stuck into your side and there really is no defending it since they don't take any explaination.

RESPONSE: So...why waste your time arguing with them. Laugh them off.  

In that regard it the same as the black sox where for decades they White Sox had to listen to how it tainted the game until the White Sox became so pathetic people actually felt bad for them.

RESPONSE: Absolutely untrue. The Black Sox scandal was not a creation of the media...but based on cold, hard facts. Guys were paid off to throw the World Series. Meanwhile, both baseball and football  teams have been trying to steal signs for years. It's part of the game. Taking bribes is not. 

Even then when they won the WS some reporters still brought it up. It's a black mark that will forever follow them.

RESPONSE: So what! Who cares! Let the Patriots win another SB...and I'll be willing to listen all day to the ESPN haters try to resurrect spygate. 
    Posted by PatsEng

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

Now that I think of it Brady's injury was the worst...at the time thought he was finished...
    http://www.60maxpowero.com/patriots/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Not sure I will EVER totally get over the loss to the Giants for the perfect season. That one stings deep, and probably always will.

The Bruins helped ease that pain quite a bit this year!! ;-)

Sections
Shortcuts