Worst Pats defense ever?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Worst Pats defense ever?

In Response to Re: Worst Pats defense ever?:
    [QUOTE]You can put all the wanna be shut down CB's on one team and without an Enforcer at safety they still get beat.  This is why I said Revis is shutdown.  He didnt give much to Bolden when on him.  He does not have a great safety behind him, just underated Leonard. D.Hall gets beat like a rug just as much as he makes plays but having L.Landry helps. So besides the Ravens, Steelers, Redskins who all have great safety play, name me the teams that are shutting down the pass??? Green Bay has one of the best pass rushers and they gave up 23 to Denver and the game was 17-28 at the half....Stop it! 
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Green Bay's defense looks a lot worse than last season altogether. They are having problems. Losing Cullen Jenkins and Frank Zombo (who was impressive as a rookie) has taken that defense back a whole lot. 

On the positive side, it's exactly why I say NE is only a player away from being a lot better on defense.

Losing Jenkins took GB from a 15-16 ppg defense to a 24-25 ppg defense. 
    Then, anytime you lose seven sacks from a DT it's gonna hurt bad. DT sacks are an indicator of controlling the line-of-scrimmage across the board. 

They are the most devastating sacks out there. 

It's what I'm hoping AH can provide when he comes back.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Can we all agree that if this defense doesn't improve then they are out in the first round again?  Don't give me this bend and don't break crap either.  Wasn't this the year the D was suppose to become more aggresive??  Isn't that why they went out and signed Haynesworth, Cater, and Ellis?  Wasn't that why they switched to a 4-3 (Mayo was going to be the next Ray Lewis roaming around)?

All these changes and they look exactly like last year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

The PATS are 3 & 1.  You'll probably say they could be 1 & 3 but...  They aren't. Only 19 points scored by the fearsome Raiders and their running machine McFadden, who, save for a 40 yard burst or so, had a 2.6 yard average for the day.  The PATS were supposed to disappear in the "BLACK HOLE", all the experts said it would happen.  Nutz said I and I was right. There are so many fans and pundits who have been writing the PATS epitaph for years and all they ever get is more frustration.

Look, the objective is to win and so they have.  Would I like a defense that shuts teams down, allows only 3 to 14 points a game, makes other teams go three and out over and over?  Sure, you bet.  However we don't have that defense.  We have to go with what we have.  However, your point is not that we have a poor defense your background point is that BB gas lost it as a coach.  Really?  They win.  Wish for whatever you want but I point out to you again, that they win.  You want they should lose?  Would that help you with the BB point you keep trying to make ad infinitum? My question to you is why you keep harping on this? The season must be torture for you, because you are not getting what YOU THINK the PATS should be. They are who they are and if you are a PATS fan this is your team, there is no other PATS team with a shut down defense. So far in the NFL I haven't seen that defense anywhere. Its week to week for every team in the league, except maybe the Packers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Please don't compare this team to the Victor Kiam era, that's bad karma.  I get the D is getting lit up, but come on.  Anyone old enough remembers how embarassing it was to watch that team.  The only guys worth a damn on that D were Tippett who was over the hill and the Undertaker Vincent Brown.

There is talent on the current team, they just need to execute.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sam0377. Show sam0377's posts

How is the fitness coach still have a job? I mean there are 3 guys on defense are consistent from day 1 ( Wilfolk, DMC , Carter and Mayo).???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]How is the fitness coach still have a job? I mean there are 3 guys on defense are consistent from day 1 ( Wilfolk, DMC , Carter and Mayo).???
    Posted by sam0377[/QUOTE]

X Mayo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Re: Worst Pat's defense ever?

In Response to Re: Worst Pat's defense ever?:
    [QUOTE]Here's a fact:  The only defensive starters who played in all 4 games are, Wilfork, DMC and Carter(brand new). Every other rotational player in every game has been a back-up or PS or newly acquired or injured. Pretty hard to have a good D with only 2-3 constant starters.  Don't you think?
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]

Look I get injuries happen but maybe the large amount of injuries is due to drafting players who are injury prone all the way back in college and HS (hello RAS I), older (Hello Ellis), or just plan lazy (hello Haynesworth).

It has been debated on these boards over and over about should the Pats draft young talent or sign aging free agents.  Can't be shocked when the old guys come up lame.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worst Pat's defense ever? : Look I get injuries happen but maybe the large amount of injuries is due to drafting players who are injury prone all the way back in college and HS (hello RAS I), older (Hello Ellis), or just plan lazy (hello Haynesworth). It has been debated on these boards over and over about should the Pats draft young talent or sign aging free agents.  Can't be shocked when the old guys come up lame.
    Posted by Patsman3[/QUOTE]

Dowling, Arrington, Bodden, Brace, Cunningham, Barrett, Brown, Love, Spikes...
    want more?  Chung, Mayo

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worst Pat's defense ever? : Dude, this is Phat Rex aka "Haverhill Bob". He was embarrassed as Haverhill Bob through last week and now he is in there as old standby, "Patsman3", his 3rd Patsman name after two prior bannings.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Sure looks like it.  He sure doesn't know much if he thinks it's only the "Old Timers"  getting hurt.  Looks like mostly young ones to me.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worst Pat's defense ever? : How many possessions do you expect a D to look good defending per game?

1) Against the Raid-uhs or a REAL team? Pick any team. It has got to be better than 500+ yards, and being DFL in defense. 

How many INTs do you expect our D to bail our QB out on?  2-3 INT's a game?

2) I give Brady a big chunk of blame in the Bills game, but needed to share it with that "still learning" defense. If the D played like a #1 team's should, Brady's INT's against an inferior opponent wouldn't be so glaring; only in his peesonal stats.

6 3 and outs per game?

3) 3 and outs? I have no problem with any team chewing up the clock on a 7 plsay, 37 yard "drive" that results in a punt. But, 30 yard chunks against a passing D my dead Grandma could start and STAR on is NOT good. (Not even the '85 Bears or the vaunted Ravens are 1000% on third down. But, giving up a 62% success rate? Gimme a break!

What is your barometer and expectation? Tell us.

4) My expectations? Play a good SOUND defensive play. I have no problem with giving up 300 yards a game, keeping the score under 21, and limiting time of possession to no more than 50/50 (assuming Brady and the Offense keep scoring). Having he D find a backbone somewhere on the field besides inside the 5 yard line or at the goal line. How about keeping the opposing offense betweens the 30's as much as possible, knowing that they will eventually break throuigh some time during the game.  

Why is a phantom PI call on Sergio Brown with a pass rush and a Barrett INT held against our D?!! Why?!

5) Maybe, just maybe (and I may be going out on the limb here), Brown PLAYS DEFENSE!!!! DUH!

Why do people ignore what actually happens and then just only reference bloated stats that don't even tie into the game and how it unfolded?

6) The same reason other folks keep their rose colored glasses on, sipping the Inproving Defense Punch, oblivious to what's happening on the field. The undeniable fact is this: No team with a DFL defense EVER won the NFL championship. EVER! If you believe this defense is good, by virtue of a 14-2 record last season (same defense we're seeing; maybe worse), please explain your happiness with game #17 the last two seasons. THAT could be interesting.  This poor defense is creating a mortgage that the Great Brady may not be able to pay.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

I'm confused, everybody comes on here thrashing the D. I watch every game and the way I read it our D needs some work, we have young players and new, to the system. Like I said I watch em all and my take is every game the get better an better.

My opinion.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Please don't compare this team to the Victor Kiam era, that's bad karma.  I get the D is getting lit up, but come on.  Anyone old enough remembers how embarassing it was to watch that team.  The only guys worth a damn on that D were Tippett who was over the hill and the Undertaker Vincent Brown. There is talent on the current team, they just need to execute.
    Posted by BSII[/QUOTE]

Of course the 1990 team didn't have a Hall of Famer on offense putting up huge scores and yards to offset the pathetic D like we do today. Huge difference.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

As of right now (with all of our injuries) I'd say this is the worst Patriot defense I've seen. A couple of things will change as the year goes on: 1. We will probably get healthier.  2. The weather will get cold and it will help our pass defense.   3. We will play several teams in December that will be out of it and already planning their Christmas vacations to the Dominican Republic.

All of the above will lead many to believe we are good enough to win it all and the same people will bring up threads of the first month of the season to prove we're all trolls. A funny thing will then happen...we will play a good team in the playoffs - they will punch us in the face - and only Brady and this offense will give us a puncher's chance to do anything about it. It won't be enough, idiots will blame Brady...then they will disappear as fans from the team that embarrassed us, rub it into our faces. Happened the past two seasons

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worst Pats defense ever? : But they had a QB throwing 4 INTs during a game with Pick 6s.

Sorry Moe, but the 1990 team would have loved to have a QB that could put up an 86 PR with 387 yards insted of a sixty something PR and 172 yards a game. Now go get Larry and Curley to come in and agree with you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Since you just started following the team, we can see why you'd say that. I mean, could you make a fool out of yourself anymore here, Mt. Hurl? The team is AHEAD Of 2010's D. Statistically ahead in many categories. It's MILES above 2009's D. It's clerly better than 2002's and 2000s in the BB era. This is the worst Pats D you've ever seen? Really?  You just proved you are a new fan.

You are out to lunch Moe. No Pats team in the 2000s is even top 10 worst all-time and this D projects to be much worse than any of them.

mthurl owns you on football knowledge.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from goosedaddy. Show goosedaddy's posts

.  I was watching the patriots after watching the early games, and I could actually see a speed difference. The Pats don't have the speed some of the other teams have. They have the bend but don't break defense and it can keep you in games, as long as you have the best player in the leaugue playing QB. They're wasting his probably best years, and I blame Belichek. He traded away Seymore and got a decent draft pic for it, but didi he use it, or trade down. He had 2 first and 2 seconds this last year and got a good tackle and what else, 2 rbs, when there were alot of good and fast defensive lineman and linebackers out there. He won't hire any experienced coordinators, I think he wants all the credit and he wants to find the diamond in the rough so he can get all the credit. If he hadn't lucked up and gotten Tom Brady, he would have never won a superbowl and would have been fired 6 or 7 uears ago. He'd be a linebacker coach somewhere now. Brady is a once in a lifetime player, all these people who blame him when he had 4 int, like he lost the game, just like with the giants SB game, he drove the team and scored and the D couldn't hold it. To not get any defensive help in the draft this last year is ridiculous,  and blame Tom all you want, but boy will you miss him when he's gone

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.