Worthy for a 2016 7th rd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Worthy for a 2016 7th rd

not 2015 7th rd. pats diod not have a 2015 7thr d

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Worthy for a 2016 7th rd

So basically nothing and only if he makes the team.  1st round tape in college.  UDFA measurables at the combine.  Maybe if the back is okay he puts it together and can be a nice situational player.  Given the deal obviously the Packers are not betting on this happening.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

So basically nothing and only if he makes the team.  1st round tape in college.  UDFA measurables at the combine.  Maybe if the back is okay he puts it together and can be a nice situational player.  Given the deal obviously the Packers are not betting on this happening.

neither is Wozzy

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Didn't really give up much but considering they need bodies because of injury kind of wonder why bring in an injured player who can't practice that has already blown up his knee (besides collecting all of Andrews patients) and has a bad back.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Didn't really give up much but considering they need bodies because of injury kind of wonder why bring in an injured player who can't practice that has already blown up his knee (besides collecting all of Andrews patients) and has a bad back.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

Presumably they think he will practice soon and has higher upside than a UDFA.  I can't find any information about the back injury at all except that it was caused by lifting too much weight this offseason.  Perhaps that means it wasn't super serious.  He didn't really have any injury problems in college for whatever that's worth.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

neither is Wozzy

I'll need everyone to remember that the next time I'm being called a "homer."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I remember many of the draft gurus raving about Worthy while he was at MSU.  He was highly regarded for his burst off of the snap.  I know that he isn't the same player now that he was in college, but there is possible upside here.  This was a no brainer trade for the Pats.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Presumably they think he will practice soon and has higher upside than a UDFA.  I can't find any information about the back injury at all except that it was caused by lifting too much weight this offseason.  Perhaps that means it wasn't super serious.  He didn't really have any injury problems in college for whatever that's worth.

[object HTMLDivElement]

The back ended his season last year and the knee the year before so it was serious enough for GB to end his season for his back. For some reason he's like Vereen and turned into the brittle man once he got into the Pro's

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The back ended his season last year and the knee the year before so it was serious enough for GB to end his season for his back.

I am pretty sure the back happened this offseason during his workouts.  He missed most of last season because his ACL injury was at the end of his rookie year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The back ended his season last year and the knee the year before so it was serious enough for GB to end his season for his back.

I am pretty sure the back happened this offseason during his workouts.  He missed most of last season because his ACL injury was at the end of his rookie year.

[object HTMLDivElement]

You're right. I thought the back injury happened late in 2013 and just miss read articles. the ACL prevented him from most of 2013 season. Looks like they didn't realize he needed back surgery until April, that's pretty late. Anyone know the time table for recovery from lower back surgery?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Anyone know the time table for recovery from lower back surgery?

It's hard to know since as far as I can tell no one actually knows what the injury was.  The fact that they didn't realize he needed surgery initially seems like maybe it wasn't super serious, but that is pure speculation on my part.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

As a reference point the timetable on Gronk's back surgery was 12 weeks.  Again I have no idea what procedure this guy had, but it certainly seems possible that he could be ready to suit up shortly.  I find it hard to believe the team would have traded for him if they didn't think so.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

As a reference point the timetable on Gronk's back surgery was 12 weeks.  Again I have no idea what procedure this guy had, but it certainly seems possible that he could be ready to suit up shortly.  I find it hard to believe the team would have traded for him if they didn't think so.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I hope so but then why did GB trade a former 2nd round pick for basically a bag of peanuts if he was that close to returning, without seeing what he looked like first?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

You're right. I thought the back injury happened late in 2013 and just miss read articles. the ACL prevented him from most of 2013 season. Looks like they didn't realize he needed back surgery until April, that's pretty late. Anyone know the time table for recovery from lower back surgery?

I think this is the second time in two days you've said "you're right," to someone else Eng.  You deserve this forum's true gentleman and scholar award.  Rare to see that kind of character here.  Good work, my man.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I think this is the second time in two days you've said "you're right," to someone else Eng.  You deserve this forum's true gentleman and scholar award.  Rare to see that kind of character here.  Good work, my man.

[object HTMLDivElement]

When I'm wrong I'll admit it. Always have on this board. Don't see why to try to hide it, everyone has misunderstandings or miss remembers at times. I'll never fault someone for making a mistake but I'll always fault them for not admitting to it and back tracking to cover themselves.

Besides if I'm wrong I'll fully eat crow, I made the statement I should stick to that statement.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

neither is Wozzy

I'll need everyone to remember that the next time I'm being called a "homer."

lol!! Noted.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

I have had 2 lower back surgeries over the past decade. It took me about 3 months before I was in good enough shape to tie my shoes. Worthy should be more than ready to take on some big OL in a few weeks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

A quote from the man (Worthy) himself: 

"I'm just waiting for the green light," Worthy said. "I feel really great. I've done everything that I can possibly do with the training staff and with the strength and conditioning guys. They've done a great job of prepping me for this moment. At the end of the day, it's just a day-to-day thing. I said it last week, that I'm just waiting for my moment."

IOW, he sounds healthy and ready to go. I'd assume if he can pass a physical and a conditioning test that he'll be on the field soon. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I had the Pats picking Worthy in the 2012 draft.  We needed a DL and Worthy had slipped down the boards from a late first/early second rounder.  I thought it was a no brainer.  But instead at #48 we picked Tavon Wilson.  Worthy went #51.  

Maybe he'll get healthy and be a solid contributor.  I have more faith in Worthy long term than Tavon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I'd like to add to this. I enjoy your posts PatsEng, even the ones I don't agree with you on. It's evident to me that the Pats are more important to you then being right or being the smartest guy in the room! Pro is right - it is rare here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

not 2015 7th rd. pats diod not have a 2015 7thr d

Well atleast I heard of Worthy. Supposed to be good coming out a couple years ago. Not sure about his injury but its def. a move you make for that low pick. We need to get lucky with a D lineman. Just concerned that our whole D line is either injured or working their way back. Can we get ONE decent guy with a clean bill of health?

I thought lots of decent guys are lined up to play in the league....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Well atleast I heard of Worthy. Supposed to be good coming out a couple years ago. Not sure about his injury but its def. a move you make for that low pick. We need to get lucky with a D lineman. Just concerned that our whole D line is either injured or working their way back. Can we get ONE decent guy with a clean bill of health?

I thought lots of decent guys are lined up to play in the league....

[/QUOTE]

Would you rather have a perfectly healthy JAG, or take a flyer on a guy who might be a good player who can't seem to stay healthy?  

I look at it like this, there are a hundred (or more) JAGs who are available any time off the street, and there will be more when cutdowns occur. So, if you need a body, you can always grab someone. Look at Siliga, he was available to anyone who wanted him last year. There's no urgency to pick up a JAG.  So, taking a flyer on Worthy might pay off, might not. If it doesn't, oh well. Nothing is lost.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlderbutWiser. Show OlderbutWiser's posts

0 14 0 Comments Print
    Tyler Dunne, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
    July 26, 2014
    Any July injury report is sure to signal a statewide groan. Injuries were the story of 2013. Injuries have the head coach trying just about everything.

On Saturday, five players started training camp on the sideline. For now, only one appears serious.

Third-year defensive Jerel Worthy (lower back) is “going to be some time,” coach Mike McCarthy said. Meanwhile, two players on the physically unable to perform list—outside linebackers Nick Perry (foot/knee) and Mike Neal (abdomen)—“are close, based off the examination.”

On the training camp PUP list, both would be eligible to practice as soon as they pass their physicals.

Defensive lineman Letroy Guion is out with a hamstring injury, while rookie wide receiver Jeff Janis has an illness.

The timing is not ideal for Worthy. Since taking the Michigan State defensive end 51st overall in the 2012 draft, Green Bay has drafted Mike Daniels (2012, fourth round), Datone Jones (2013, first), Josh Boyd (2013, fifth) and Khyri Thornton (2014, third). A roster spot on the line, Worthy needed every possible rep this summer.

Possibly, Worthy suffered the injury while working out this off-season. He was not available in the locker room after practice, or during organized team activities and minicamp

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/8/13/5998465/patriots-acquire-ben-bass-jerel-worthy-retool-defensive-line" rel="nofollow">http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/8/13/5998465/patriots-acquire-ben-bass-jerel-worthy-retool-defensive-line

Worthy is notable as he was a 2012 2nd round pick who is a clearly defined 3-tech defensive tackle, who was poorly miscast as a 3-4 defensive end. His college reviews stated he was incredible against single blockers, but struggled when double teamed, so his fit was clearly a question. He hasn't been able to flash in the wrong system and a change of scenary would do him some good.

Like Bass, Worthy has had poor luck with injuries. He tore his ACL on December 30th, 2012 as a rookie. He started the 2013 campaign on the PUP list and wasn't activated until Week 12. It's important to note that the only game the Packers gave Worthy with a full year to recover was a playoff game against the 49ers, and he only played two games during the regular season (14 snaps for the whole year). His best football could still be ahead of him.

BB adapts the team to each player's strengths. 

One of the Patriots front office's favorite tricks is to grab injured players for the PUP list.  They don't count against the 53 man limit, and a theoretically infinite number of players can be stashed.  Worthy is eligible, as is Bass. 

Between 6 and 12 games later, the team can look at the holes in their injury list and activate any or all of these somewhat marginal players.  If the D-line is solid, nothing will ever be seen of either Worthy or Bass.  If the D-line is Swiss cheese as it was last year, out come some experienced plugs for the holes.

Sections
Shortcuts