Would any other NFL team treat Tom Brady like this?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Re: Would any other NFL team treat Tom Brady like this?

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To get back to the thinking - The pats are effectively now without their top 5 pass catchers from last year to start the season (assuming Hernandez is out and they don't bring back Lloyd or Branch).  I believe Brady has become a QB who develops rapport with a few guys and doesn't work hard on developing the others.  (Maybe part of that is that he doesn't need to.)

You gave a list of some bad players (extending over years).  Let's focus on the last three or four years.  Who did he ignore?  There isn't a long list to choose from.

Taylor Price?

Sean Underwood?

Ochocinco?

Here are his receivers since 2009--who would you say he failed at developing?

Wes Welker 123 1,348 11.0 58 4 Randy Moss83 1,264 15.2 71 13 Julian Edelman 37 359 9.7 29 1 Kevin Faulk 37 301 8.1 38 1 Benjamin Watson 29 404 13.9 36 5 Sam Aiken 20 326 16.3 81 2 Sammy Morris 19 180 9.5 35 0 Chris Baker 14 142 10.1 36 2 Laurence Maroney 14 99 7.1 17 0 Joey Galloway 7 67 9.6 19 0 Isaiah Stanback 3 22 7.3 9 0 BenJarvus Green-Ellis 2 11 5.5 6 0 Fred Taylor 2 17 8.5 13 0

Wes Welker 86 848 9.9 35 7 Deion Branch 48 706 14.7 79 5 Aaron Hernandez 45 563 12.5 46 6 Rob Gronkowski 42 546 13.0 28 10 Danny Woodhead 34 379 11.1 50 1 Brandon Tate 24 432 18.0 65 3 BenJarvus Green-Ellis 12 85 7.1 16 0 Randy Moss 9 139 15.4 35 3 Julian Edelman 7 86 12.3 40 0 Sammy Morris 7 77 11.0 22 0 Alge Crumpler 6 52 8.7 27 2 Kevin Faulk 6 62 10.3 21 0 Taylor Price 3 41 13.7 18 0 Fred Taylor 2 6 3.0 7

Wes Welker 122 1,569 12.9 99 9 Rob Gronkowski 90 1,327 14.7 52 17 Aaron Hernandez 79 910 11.5 46 7 Deion Branch 51 702 13.8 63 5 Danny Woodhead 18 157 8.7 16 0 Chad Ochocinco 15 276 18.4 53 1 BenJarvus Green-Ellis 9 159 17.7 53 0 Kevin Faulk 7 34 4.9 18 0 Julian Edelman 4 34 8.5 11 0 Stevan Ridley 3 13 4.3 8 0 Tiquan Underwood 3 30 10.0 13 0 Matthew Slater 1 46 46.0 46 0

Wes Welker 118 1,354 11.5 59 6 Brandon Lloyd 74 911 12.3 53 4 Rob Gronkowski 55 790 14.4 41 11 Aaron Hernandez 51 483 9.5 31 5 Danny Woodhead 40 446 11.2 25 3 Julian Edelman 21 235 11.2 56 3 Deion Branch 16 145 9.1 25 0 Shane Vereen 8 149 18.6 83 1 Stevan Ridley 6 51 8.5 20 0 Michael Hoomanawanui 5 109 21.8 41 0 Daniel Fells 4 85 21.3 35 0 Brandon Bolden 2 11 5.5 11 0 Donte' Stallworth 1 63 63.0 63 1 Kellen Winslow 1 12 12.0 12 0

Pro:  I recommend you not bother trying to reason with UD.  He's a hater and will always be one.  He is among those, who profess fanship of another team, yet come on these boards constantly just to stir the pot, even though he professes that isn't his goal - it is.  He cannot present a salient logical POV and when challenged resorts to the "I'm just giving my opinion, not trying to cause trouble" line.  Thing is, he refuses to rationalize his opinions beyond broad-stroking trollship.  Want a laugh, ask for a specific.  Want another one, ask for a reliable source beyond his personal thoughts. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Brady can work with just about anyone.  IMO all he cares about is winning another Super Bowl and will sacrifice stats and anything else to make the team better. They've invested draft picks and some money in improving the defense and I think we win this season. He will make it work and has enough weapons, I don't think the deep passing, air it out is Brady's game. There is nobody better at the short and intermediate game IMO .  The Patriots will be fine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to gr82bme's comment:

Pro:  I recommend you not bother trying to reason with UD.  He's a hater and will always be one.  He is among those, who profess fanship of another team, yet come on these boards constantly just to stir the pot, even though he professes that isn't his goal - it is.  He cannot present a salient logical POV and when challenged resorts to the "I'm just giving my opinion, not trying to cause trouble" line.  Thing is, he refuses to rationalize his opinions beyond broad-stroking trollship.  Want a laugh, ask for a specific.  Want another one, ask for a reliable source beyond his personal thoughts. 

[/QUOTE]

I think much of what UD posts about Brady is motivated by his desire to "prove" Manning is better than Brady.  Honestly, I think the two are both great.  Seems like a silly argument to me to try to prove one is better than the other.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TebowOwnsBrady. Show TebowOwnsBrady's posts

wow here is an interesting tid bit: the 5 recievers that the Pats let go or are injured accounted for 85% of their receptions last year.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

After the disaster that was the 2006 draft BB was in deep doo doo. Not only did 2 high draft picks on offense bust, but now the good D he inherited was evaporating before his eyes as well. Of his next 12 top 3 picks (over 4 years) he picked 10 defenders. Meriweather, Brown, Wheatley, Crable, Chung, Brace, Butler, McCourty and Cunningham were the bulk of his choices and no way was that bunch going to effectively replace the aging D he was losing largely populated courtesy of his predecessors Parcells and Carrol. And precious few high draft picks were available for the offensive skill positions during that drafting debacle.

The following year he picked a mix on both sides of the ball and the next threw nearly the whole damned thing at a D he just could not fix with the draft to save his life. This last draft he went back to trading down and picking guys that had many scratching their heads.

^^^ Calling "that" the work of the greatest GM of all time is preposterous.

photo BBandtheRat_zpsc338a3a1.gif

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

After the disaster that was the 2006 draft BB was in deep doo doo. Not only did 2 high draft picks on offense bust, but now the good D he inherited was evaporating before his eyes as well. Of his next 12 top 3 picks (over 4 years) he picked 10 defenders. Meriweather, Brown, Wheatley, Crable, Chung, Brace, Butler, McCourty and Cunningham were the bulk of his choices and no way was that bunch going to effectively replace the aging D he was losing largely populated courtesy of his predecessors Parcells and Carrol. And precious few high draft picks were available for the offensive skill positions during that drafting debacle.

The following year he picked a mix on both sides of the ball and the next threw nearly the whole damned thing at a D he just could not fix with the draft to save his life. This last draft he went back to trading down and picking guys that had many scratching their heads.

^^^ Calling "that" the work of the greatest GM of all time is preposterous.

photo BBandtheRat_zpsc338a3a1.gif

The greatest team to not win a championship. The team was comprised of all Belichick players except Bruschi.

They would have made some noise if they had only made the playoffs.

A down year but they still finished 6th overall.

They beat both super bowl participants in the regular season.

They were a play or two from winning another SB.

4th overall finish. Injuries got the best of them.

It's super bowl or bust for you. I guess some fans will never be happy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to gr82bme's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think much of what UD posts about Brady is motivated by his desire to "prove" Manning is better than Brady.  Honestly, I think the two are both great.  Seems like a silly argument to me to try to prove one is better than the other.  

[/QUOTE]
    Not so much. My original post was really more about current circumstances (top 5 receivers from last year likely not starting the season or gone) and past actions (the pats dispassionate removal of very talented players on the back side of their career.  I realize that much of this thread has been to attack my opinion that Brady doesn't develop receivers well, but frankly that's only a small part of the whole thing. 

This has very little to do with Manning except that he did develop receivers well.  Brees has had success with drafted receivers.  So has Rodgers, Eli, and Roethlisberger.  Maybe its the pats system.  Its obvious they don't covet receivers, but you'd think they could draft one that turns out.  While I said, that I put a lot of it on the receiver himself, I also said it could be because Brady didn't think he needed to develop anyone else, because he had so much already.  Hard to argue with Moss and Welker, and Brady (and/or the system) likes tight ends.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

They would have made some noise if they had only made the playoffs.

A down year but they still finished 6th overall.

They beat both super bowl participants in the regular season.

They were a play or two from winning another SB.

4th overall finish. Injuries got the best of them.

It's super bowl or bust for you. I guess some fans will never be happy.

I am certainly not "SB or bust", but at the same time, it's difficult to explain not winning it all very often if you believe in the Mt. Olympus address of Belichick.  If he's THAT awesome, there should be better outcomes to seasons than "they beat the teams that played the SB last year" and "missed the playoffs, but if they didn't..."

Belichick is a great coach, a poor GM. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I am certainly not "SB or bust", but at the same time, it's difficult to explain not winning it all very often if you believe in the Mt. Olympus address of Belichick.  If he's THAT awesome, there should be better outcomes to seasons than "they beat the teams that played the SB last year" and "missed the playoffs, but if they didn't..."

Well, if Belichick is a poor GM then so are the rest.

Ozzie Newsome Ravens
    2008 11-5 Lost to Steelers conference championship
    2009  9-7 Lost to Colts divisional round
    2010 12-4 Lost to Steelers divisional round
    2011 12-4 Lost to Patriots conference championship
    2012 10-6 Won SB

Jerry Reese Giants
    2008 12-4 Lost to Eagles divisional round
    2009  8-8 missed playoffs
    2010 10-6 missed playoffs
    2011  9-7 Won SB
    2012  9-7 missed playoffs

Ted Thompson Packers
    2008 6-10 missed playoffs
    2009 11-5 Lost to Cardinals wild card round
    2010 10-6 Won SB
    2011 15-1 Lost to Giants divisional round
    2012 11-5 Lost to 49ers divisional round

Mickey Loomis Saints
    2008  8-8 missed playoffs
    2009 13-3 Won SB
    2010 11-5 Lost to Seahawks wild card round
    2011 13-3 Lost to 49ers divisional round
    2012  7-9 missed playoffs

Kevin Colbert Steelers
    2008 12-4 Won SB
    2009  9-7 missed playoffs
    2010 12-4 Lost to Packers super bowl
    2011 12-4 Lost to Broncos wild card round
    2012  8-8 missed playoffs

These guys are the best of the best but they are no better than Belichick.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]I am certainly not "SB or bust", but at the same time, it's difficult to explain not winning it all very often if you believe in the Mt. Olympus address of Belichick.  If he's THAT awesome, there should be better outcomes to seasons than "they beat the teams that played the SB last year" and "missed the playoffs, but if they didn't..."

Well, if Belichick is a poor GM then so are the rest.

Ozzie Newsome Ravens
    2008 11-5 Lost to Steelers conference championship
    2009  9-7 Lost to Colts divisional round
    2010 12-4 Lost to Steelers divisional round
    2011 12-4 Lost to Patriots conference championship
    2012 10-6 Won SB

Jerry Reese Giants
    2011  9-7 Won SB

Ted Thompson Packers
    2008 6-10 missed playoffs
    2009 11-5 Lost to Cardinals wild card round
    2010 10-6 Won SB
    2011 15-1 Lost to Giants divisional round
    2012 11-5 Lost to 49ers divisional round

Mickey Loomis Saints
    2008  8-8 missed playoffs
    2009 13-3 Won SB
    2010 11-5 Lost to Seahawks wild card round
    2011 13-3 Lost to 49ers divisional round
    2012  7-9 missed playoffs

Kevin Colbert Steelers
    2008 12-4 Won SB
    2009  9-7 missed playoffs
    2010 12-4 Lost to Packers super bowl
    2011 12-4 Lost to Broncos wild card round
    2012  8-8 missed playoffs

[/QUOTE]

1.) All of those teams won a Superbowl ... two if you inch back a season. 

2.) BB also missed the playoffs once. 

They are all good GMs -- maybe excepting Mickey Loomis in my opinion. I think he is just average: he misses a lot with some high picks. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

1.) All of those teams won a Superbowl ... two if you inch back a season. 

2.) BB also missed the playoffs once. 

They are all good GMs -- maybe excepting Mickey Loomis in my opinion. I think he is just average: he misses a lot with some high picks.

1.) I listed the last 5 SB winners.

2. Yup, with an 11-5 record with a high school QB.

Except for the Saints win, all of the last 6 super bowls were close games. The Patriots could have won both with some breaks (all credit given to the Giants). I just can't place blame on Bill the GM for those losses.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

I wonder what those records would be if any of those teams had Tom Brady at QB.

I love Tom Brady. He wins games for us, no doubt. But there's 30 or so other players that contribute as well. He doesn't do it all by himself.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think Belichick compares favourably to all those other GMs.  I just don't think BB is head and shoulders above them.  Yes, he manages the cap very well and keeps the team consistently strong--and is maybe better at that than anyone.  But he's had enough poor picks and enough trouble rebuilding certain positions that you can't say without qualitifcation that he's clearly better than the other top GMs.  I contend that the Pats' talent hasn't been quite championship calibre since 2007 and that they have advanced as far as they have in seasons since then mostly because of good coaching, Brady, and a few (but not enough) impact players.  

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

What make them the best of the best?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Their teams have won a super bowl or two and are typically in the playoff hunt.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Their teams have won a super bowl or two and are typically in the playoff hunt.

[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty low bar for such high praise.

"The best of the best" seems to imply abilities well above and beyond that of his contemporaries.  Missing the playoffs three times in five years and having a barely winning record implies a few lucky bounces lead to a SB victory.

Jerry Reese Giants
    2011  9-7 Won SB

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I think Belichick compares favourably to all those other GMs.  I just don't think BB is head and shoulders above them.  

That right there already puts you in the minority regardless of whether you agree with Rusty that BB is the best ever.  We've got the majority of this board calling for BB to be canned.  Some of it is the usual suspects, but it amazes me how many people have jumped on that bandwagon since the Hernandez investigation.  I think its crazy and I imagine most fans of teams outside of NE do too.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts