Would anyone be surprised if...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Would anyone be surprised if...

By the end of the season, Vollmer is the starting LT and Cannon or Fleming is the starting RT?

Solder looked overwhelmed out there tonight. He regressed in year 2, and didn't seem to get a great start going into year 3. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: Would anyone be surprised if...

That won't happen.  Relax, it's a Preseason game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That won't happen.  Relax, it's a Preseason game.

[/QUOTE]

I'm plenty relaxed. 

Just commenting on the fact that Solder was pretty awful tonight. I would generally agree that it's not wise to pass judgment based on one (preseason) game, but the fact that he regressed somewhat last year makes tonight's dud more notable. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Fleming is not going to see the starting lineup this year. He's had a tough camp so far.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I didn't think Solder really regressed last year at all.

Based on his rookie season, he wasn't the monster I thought me MAY turn in to, but I find it hard to call it a regression.

And as far as last night, I read he was lined up against Orakpo a lot...there ya go. Orakpo is an elite pass rusher, and early in the preseason, it's a lot easier for guys like him, who can pin their ears back and go, than the OLineman who rely a lot more on teamwork and trust with their other lineman.

He's not one of the guys I worry about to be honest. I feel very comfortable with him over there.With a healthy Mankins, my trust goes up exponentially.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

It's one pre-season game let's not put players in the HOF or throw them in the dumpster based on one game where there was no player personnel grouping continuity or true game planning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Solder didn't have a good game but it is indeed the pre-season and the first game at that.  Much too early to make any kind of an assessment.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

I'm not worried about Solder. Most of the starters didn't play last night. When Mankins is in the lineup as well as Vollmer, the o-line will be ok. I think they will miss Dante Scarnecchia. Solder was off last night, no doubt. But I doubt this will be an indicator of his season. I know with all the starters playing in Week 1 against Miami, we will see a much better team. One thing is for sure, though. Ryan Mallett stinks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think Solder will remain the starter--he's not bad.  But I do worry that he's not ever going to develop into the elite left tackle I was hoping for. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Solder has been a slow starter the last couple preseasons. He is no pro-bowler but he's played well during the regular season. Give him time. I remember people panicking the last couple preseason about the OL and how bad they looked. Now I know Scar isn't hear but I'm going to give them more than 1 preseason game to knock the rust off.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Solder will remain the starter--he's not bad.  But I do worry that he's not ever going to develop into the elite left tackle I was hoping for. 

[/QUOTE]

This year will be very telling. He was a "high upside" player coming out due to the perception he was raw, having only converted to T as a Soph in college.

I still like him. He rarely shows the domination I was hoping for...but I wonder if that's too nit-pickish. He really doesn't give up too many sacks. I can't find that stat specifically...but I did see that in all of 2013, he was flagged 4 times. 2 holding (1 of which was declined), 1 false start, 1 illegal formation. That seems pretty dang solid for a guy playing LT on the NE Patriots for 15 games, all starts.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SoldNa00/penalties//

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This year will be very telling. He was a "high upside" player coming out due to the perception he was raw, having only converted to T as a Soph in college.

I still like him. He rarely shows the domination I was hoping for...but I wonder if that's too nit-pickish. He really doesn't give up too many sacks. I can't find that stat specifically...but I did see that in all of 2013, he was flagged 4 times. 2 holding (1 of which was declined), 1 false start, 1 illegal formation. That seems pretty dang solid for a guy playing LT on the NE Patriots for 15 games, all starts.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SoldNa00/penalties//" rel="nofollow">http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SoldNa00/penalties//

[/QUOTE]

here is his grade out from last year....

Outside of one tremendously tricky outing against Denver, Solder delivered an extremely consistent season, grading in the green 10 times throughout the year. With the size and strength to get push in the run game and a strong pass blocker, Solder answered the question as to whether he could be the long-term replacement to Matt Light.

Best Performance: Week 4, NE @ ATL, +6.3

Key Stat: Solder allowed 35 combined sacks, hits and hurries throughout the regular season. Of all left tackles who had 500 pass blocking snaps that was sixth-best.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/13/pffs-top-101-of-2013-80-to-71/"; rel="nofollow">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/13/pffs-top-101-of-2013-80-to-71/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Solder has "high upside"? Are you serious? He graded out as a top 5 LT in all of football last year. And he is getting better. He is a pro bowl player this year assuming health.

Pats have a tough decision on him shortly. Pay him big $$ or let him walk?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

You need to get your butt kicked in Preseason, good for the Player. Gets his juices flowing again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Solder has "high upside"? Are you serious? He graded out as a top 5 LT in all of football last year. And he is getting better. He is a pro bowl player this year assuming health.

[/QUOTE]

I said when drafted, he was a high upside player. As opposed to a top 5 LT, who is usually regarded as just about a lock to be a solid starter if not much more. Unless you are Robert Gallery.

Still, he's not one of those mauling, undeniably good LT's in the vein of an Orlando Pace/Bruce Armstrong mold. He's not quite Matt Light, who I liked very much and feel he got very harshly criticized by some. I do really like him, maybe he's just too consistent, but I rarely see the domination out of him that I see out of elite LTs. FOr that to be my one down point on him, heck, he's doing very well.

Hard to "grade" LTs too much against each other. Teams throw more or less, different guards next to them, QBs with different release times/awareness/escapability, some teams don't have a RB capable of helping on the blitz. That sack/hit/hurry plus the number of penalties give you an idea, but it's still very hard to judge one guy on one team against someone on a totally different team in a different division/conference with completely different coaching philosophies.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I said when drafted, he was a high upside player. As opposed to a top 5 LT, who is usually regarded as just about a lock to be a solid starter if not much more. Unless you are Robert Gallery.

Still, he's not one of those mauling, undeniably good LT's in the vein of an Orlando Pace/Bruce Armstrong mold. He's not quite Matt Light, who I liked very much and feel he got very harshly criticized by some. I do really like him, maybe he's just too consistent, but I rarely see the domination out of him that I see out of elite LTs. FOr that to be my one down point on him, heck, he's doing very well.

Hard to "grade" LTs too much against each other. Teams throw more or less, different guards next to them, QBs with different release times/awareness/escapability, some teams don't have a RB capable of helping on the blitz. That sack/hit/hurry plus the number of penalties give you an idea, but it's still very hard to judge one guy on one team against someone on a totally different team in a different division/conference with completely different coaching philosophies.

[/QUOTE]

Go look up how many sacks Solder allowed the past 2 years

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Show me where, I looked, couldn't find it. If you're the one so offended I say anything remotely negative, then feel free to provide whatever stats you want, I'm not doing the work for you.

I already provided my stats....in DEFENSE of Solder. Reading posts in their entirety is recommended. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Go look up how many sacks Solder allowed the past 2 years

[/QUOTE]

Not as many D'Bustashaw Ferguson who led his team in penalties and sacks allowed almost every year, minus last year.

Focus on your own team, the Jets.

[/QUOTE]

More claims, Queenie?  Surely you have some sort of proof?  No?  I'm shocked.  Caught lying again.  But how pathetic that you need to deflect a topic about Solder to Ferguson.  You a a sad sad loser.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Yes, still fairly early in the preseason but it would appear that the coaching staff isn't exactly thrilled with Solder. 

Hopefully he can pull it together after this (hopefully minor) skid of sorts. 

"Eyes on Solder and the offensive line: After fourth-year left tackle Nate Solder struggled in joint practices with the Redskins, and then in the preseason opener, it's been notable that he has not been working alongside left guard Logan Mankins the past two days. Marcus Cannon has stepped into that role. It has also caught our attention that first-year player Jordan Devey, who started the preseason opener at left guard in place of the rested Mankins, has worked as the top right guard the past two days. Devey could be an under-the-radar player to keep an eye on in the coming weeks."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=new-england-patriots&id=4766044&city=boston

Sections
Shortcuts