Would McGinnest be a help to the Pats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

Would McGinnest be a help to the Pats?

Hey guys,  I caught Rome is Burning the other night and his guest was Big Willy.  He talked about how some teams made him offers but since they weren't contenders he did not except.  He said something like "he's been to the top of the mountain and would like to win another SB" (or something to that effect).

So my question is:

1. Do you think signing Willy would be a good move? I'm curious if the Patriots even looked or talked to him this off past off-seaon.

I know no one is better in the NFL at bringing in Vets than the Pats.  But I will say that I am kind of glad that it looks like they are moving in another direction getting younger / faster.  With the exception of bringing Seau back, Bruschi, Vrabel, and others (older players) have since left.

But man, I would sure love to see Willy back in a Pats uniform if he still has anything left.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

Re: Would McGinnest be a help to the Pats?

Can he contribute ? In situations only, I suspect. Personally, I would love to see Willie McGinest in a Pats Uni again.(But not beyond this season)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Yeh, but who would win the fight over #55, Seau or Willie??!! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Who gets cut, Pierre Woods? Sure.

He did say he would like to end his career as a Pat, though. Burgess seems to be confused where to find the QB, I would take Willie 55 anyday over him. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from choircontrarian. Show choircontrarian's posts

to paraphrase bel: i may consider him if rosters were at a 100 not 53 or 45 (for gameday).same with troy brown. issue is whose place will he take? is he better than any of the existg guys esp one of the hybrid  LB/DL guys? then how much will it cost? all things considered, at this time the answer is "heck no!" pats went from something like the 11th oldest team on defense to the oldest, and the 14th oldest team to the 3rd oldest team after seau joined. them. add in willie and u could become the oldest in history to ever contend for a ring and likely the oldest ever. part of bel's approach lately has been to get younger and faster. we have enough leaders and with seau around we have the old wise elder. guys do not get faster or more explosive with age. willie like espn's tampa linebacker guy are not playg esp for contenders because they are not that good anymore. he showed major skill erosion last year in cleveland. have we learned nothing from the galloway experiment? willie will never play in this league again in a regular situation. i would much rather see rosey colvin in a pinch over willie. if u have 2 major injuries, then perhaps u consider it. I loved the old in-prime willie... but that version is never walking through that door nor will he ever appear on your TV screen unless its a tribute video. seau is THE old-dude exception because he can still play and has lost nothing skillset wise. he just cant go full bore for an entire game or season for all the snaps anymore. in the brief times he is out there, he is still the old seau. he is still a workout and genetic freak. willie was never known as a workout warrior and has racked up a lot of injuries over the years. BTW, i wouldnt take the great troy either! still love him but not now as a player. we have better options!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

No.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

This has been done a few times already.  The McGinnest ship has sailed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Makes no sense.

A) He has not played well since 2005.
    B) The Pats are moving toward youth.
    C) Most of all, it will never happenand is a compelte waste of time to ponder.  The main reason I think Willie was dumped was because he threw a punch at Larry Izzo on the sideline after Izzo missed a blocking assignment during an unsuccessful goal line stand against the Broncos in the 2005 play-off loss.  BB is a disciplined guy, who appreciates disciplined players.  He doesn't need two leaders duking it out on the sideline during a must-win game. Once Willie laid that punch, he punched his own card. An ugly exit.

Same goes for chatter about bringing Branch back. Another guy who made an ugly exit and will never be back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

In Response to Re: Would McGinnest be a help to the Pats?:
    The main reason I think Willie was dumped was because he threw a punch at Larry Izzo on the sideline after Izzo missed a blocking assignment during an unsuccessful goal line stand against the Broncos in the 2005 play-off loss.  BB is a disciplined guy, who appreciates disciplined players.  He doesn't need two leaders duking it out on the sideline during a must-win game. Once Willie laid that punch, he punched his own card. An ugly exit. Posted by chrisakawoody

Not even close.
    And, Gamer, Willie gets the 55 back. I'm still sporting his old jersey - with pride !

Sections
Shortcuts